Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Futurama -- The Finale

Any other DL geeks watch?

I thought it was just about perfect, one of the series' best episodes.

by You ALL have Zoidberg!reply 4409/12/2013

I was worried it was going to be overly schmaltzy, but it wasn't too bad. I never really warmed up to the idea of Fry and Leela getting together. I liked it better when there was a little tension between them. And I HATE that they changed it so everyone hears Nibbler speak. Nonetheless, it was often one of the best shows out there.

by You ALL have Zoidberg!reply 109/05/2013

It was pretty awesome, actually. Loved it. Great send-off... with a "life goes on" ending, rather than a really bitter-sweet or sad ending.

Here's a great write up, and some of the comments are even better:

by You ALL have Zoidberg!reply 209/05/2013

I love "Futurama". I'm afraid to watch the finale - it might make me too sad.

by You ALL have Zoidberg!reply 309/05/2013

R3 It wont make you too sad. Its more bittersweet than sad. Now Jurassic Bark, that made me sad beyond words. In fact, I still cant bring myself to watching it again.

by You ALL have Zoidberg!reply 409/05/2013

Yeah, the Finale has kind of an upbeat ending, actually. Life goes one for our friends in that world.

But this... oh so much this:

by You ALL have Zoidberg!reply 509/05/2013

The original series finale is one of my favorites, with Fry playing his screwed up little song for her. But she loved it because it was from him.

by You ALL have Zoidberg!reply 609/05/2013

O shit R5 I forgot about the seven leaf clover episode. That one was a real weep-fest too. The recent "Game of Tones" was also kind of sad.

R6 I dont know if that episode was planned as being the final show, I think they were canceled after it was made. But I agree, it was an amazing episode. We finally see that he is getting thru to her and slowly winning her over. Plus, we got to see more of Hedonismbot.

by You ALL have Zoidberg!reply 709/05/2013

It's always been a weird show--the really sentimental episodes (like the one about Fry's dog) have not been favorites of mine, although the show's fans really dig them.

I've always preferred the more strictly funny episodes, like the one about the planet of human-hating robots ruled by other robots who say "Silence!" before every sentence, or the planet of the giant amazon women ruled over by "Femputer" (a computer with Beatrice Arthur's voice).

by You ALL have Zoidberg!reply 809/05/2013

I can sympathize, R8, since my favorite episodes are invariably the ones with exotic scientific and philosophical ideas (not necessarily the fan favorites). That being said, some of the more poignant moments of Fry and Leela's relationship have gotten to me - it's kind of weird to say this, but I think someone like Fry would make a good boyfriend.

by You ALL have Zoidberg!reply 909/05/2013

I could never get into this show. It always seemed corny. I remember watching its premiere back in 1999 too.

by You ALL have Zoidberg!reply 1009/05/2013

I'm with R9. My favorite episodes are the ones that have more science and less sentimentality. They also are the funniest. "All's Well that Roswell" is probably my favorite and has some of the best lines. And yea, I think Fry would make a good boyfriend. He may not be very bright or ambitious, but he is honest.

by You ALL have Zoidberg!reply 1109/05/2013

I'm torn between loving the fact that this is the way it went out... and wanting it to win an award for the show that was resurrected the most times.

(want more!)

by You ALL have Zoidberg!reply 1209/05/2013

No word on the spin-off -- The Zoidberg Boogaloo Variety Hour...

by You ALL have Zoidberg!reply 1309/05/2013

My favorite episodes are the big concept episodes.

I have it on excellent authority that Matt Groening's favorite episode of the series was the one with the forwards time machine, The Late Philip J Fry.

My favorite episodes:

- Time Keeps on Slipping - Fry saves the universe from the brains and turns down the ability to undo his travel to the future because he won't ever meet Leela, even though he won't remember making the sacrifice - The Late Philip J Fry - Luck of the Fryish - Leela's Homeworld - The Devil's Hands are Idle Playthings - Roswell - The Valentine's Day episode with the candy hearts - Amazon Women in the Mood - Godfellas (Bender is lost in space and a civilization of tiny creatures sprouts up on his body) - The one where Morbo makes them shoot the finale of Single Female Lawyer is pretty good too - And the most recent finale.

So sad to see you go.

Thank you, Futurama. The last season wasn't so hot, but when you were good, you were legendary.

by You ALL have Zoidberg!reply 1409/06/2013

[quote]The one where Morbo makes them shoot the finale of Single Female Lawyer is pretty good too

It wasn't Morbo tho, it was Lrrr, ruler of Omicron Persii 8

by You ALL have Zoidberg!reply 1509/06/2013

So many great ones, but I think my favorite one of all time is the Roswell episode. That was awesome. The fact that Fry's (potential) grand-dad was gay was hilarious, and then he turned out to be his OWN grandpa...

by You ALL have Zoidberg!reply 1609/06/2013

There are too many funny lines in the Roswell episode to list, but my favorites:

Zoidberg: Are you coming on to me?

President Truman: Hot crackers! I take exception to that!

Zoidberg: I didn't hear a no.

And Grandma Mildred ripping open her top and exclaiming: "How you like THESE cookies, Sugar?"

by You ALL have Zoidberg!reply 1709/06/2013

"Of course it's possible, it's happening. By the way, what's happening?"

by You ALL have Zoidberg!reply 1809/06/2013

"Murder isn't working, and that's all we're good at!"

by You ALL have Zoidberg!reply 1909/06/2013

That's actually a perfect description of our universe as well, R18. "Futurama" FTW!

by You ALL have Zoidberg!reply 2009/06/2013

*sniff* "Morbo's not crying, he just has a parasite in his eye."

by You ALL have Zoidberg!reply 2109/06/2013

One of my favorites is the Evolution vs Creation one where the Professor decides to leave earth due to all the creationists. But he inadvertently starts off a whole chain of quickly-evolving robots on the desolate planet he relocates to and those robots don't believe they evolved from any simple life-form.

by You ALL have Zoidberg!reply 2209/07/2013

My favourite was Fry and Bender in the home for criminally insane robots, with the stabby robot trying to kill them.

Fry: [about an Abraham Lincoln robot at the asylum] "Let me guess. He thinks he's Abraham Lincoln."

Unit 2013: "Well, he's supposed to, but he has multiple personalities. All of them Lincoln."

Abraham Lincoln Robot: "I was born in 200 log cabins..."

by You ALL have Zoidberg!reply 2309/07/2013

My favorite is The Sting.

"Why am I naked and sticky? Did I miss something fun?"

"I want you to do me one favor. Wake up."

by You ALL have Zoidberg!reply 2409/07/2013

My kajigger!

by You ALL have Zoidberg!reply 2509/07/2013

I love this show. I'll miss it. The only 3 people I knew who didn't like it were sociopaths but too stupid to ever be successful at anything.

by You ALL have Zoidberg!reply 2609/07/2013

I think "The Sting" with the giant space bees is one of the best structured episodes of any half-hour show on TV. Funny, moving, complex, interesting...

Even the clunkers weren't bad. This show was generally awesome.

by You ALL have Zoidberg!reply 2709/08/2013

A nerdy punk band wrote a rock opera based on The Sting. It's rather good. They are called Atomic Raygun Attack and I am sure you can still find it online somewhere.

by You ALL have Zoidberg!reply 2809/08/2013

I watched it and wept. I know, Mary! A sublime finale to a really great show.

Maybe they could do a spin-off. Why not Zoidberg?

by You ALL have Zoidberg!reply 2909/08/2013

Jurassic Bark is painful to watch, but it is still one of the most amazing half-hours on TV. That a comedy can do that do you... absolutely wreck you, and LINGER in your mind like that... is just amazing.

That episode should have won an Emmy.

by You ALL have Zoidberg!reply 3009/08/2013

I loved the episode with the original Star Trek members. Zapp Brannigan is so, so Shatner - one of my favorite characters.

by You ALL have Zoidberg!reply 3109/08/2013

Zoidberg was my second-least favorite character, after Hermes. I love "Futurama" to death, but I think they should just let it lie fallow for now.

by You ALL have Zoidberg!reply 3209/08/2013

I watched the finale. It was nothing special. In fact, it was fairly predictable. You knew everything was going to work out for Fry and Leela. Ho-hum. I've seen much better episodes.

by You ALL have Zoidberg!reply 3309/08/2013

Well sure, there were much better individual episodes, but it was a nice way to wrap up the series.

by You ALL have Zoidberg!reply 3409/09/2013

Hopefully, they will do another movie, but I doubt it.

by You ALL have Zoidberg!reply 3509/09/2013

My insider bird tells me the finale ratings and online buzz were fantastic, leading to some chatter about the show finding a new home, but it is remote.

by You ALL have Zoidberg!reply 3609/09/2013

[quote]You knew everything was going to work out for Fry and Leela. Ho-hum.

Well, are you expecting everyone to die at the end of a half-hour animated sitcom series? This isn't the Sopranos.

by You ALL have Zoidberg!reply 3709/09/2013

My Manwich!!

by You ALL have Zoidberg!reply 3809/10/2013

Dammit, no new Futurama tonight...

by You ALL have Zoidberg!reply 3909/11/2013

"Well, are you expecting everyone to die at the end of a half-hour animated sitcom series? This isn't the Sopranos."

No, I didn't expect a Sopranos ending, but I was hoping for something more original than Leela and Fry essentially living happily ever after. So boring! I was really disappointed.

by You ALL have Zoidberg!reply 4009/11/2013

Zoidberg is essential living happily ever after as well with his new girlfriend who had the nose transplant.

by You ALL have Zoidberg!reply 4109/11/2013

I've only watched "Jurassic Bark" once because I can't handle it again. That said, "Luck Of The Fryrish" was the episode that turned me from a casual viewer into a hardcore fan.

I also have to put in votes for "Time Keeps On Slippin'" and "The Sting". "The Late Philip J. Fry" is the only post-cancellation episode that really lives up to Golden Era for me, though "Bender's Big Score" has grown on me considerably since I first saw it.

Sad to see it go, but I do feel the returns were largely diminishing.

by You ALL have Zoidberg!reply 4209/11/2013

"Time Keeps On Slippin'" and "The Sting" were pre-cancellation. Both are excellent episodes.

For me, the show that made me become a hard core fan was how even though they were in different seasons, "The Day the Earth Stood Stupid" and the "Why of Fry" had their seeds planted in the "Space Pilot 3000" I always thought it was added later for the DVD, but in fact, Nibbler's shadow IS visible under the desk in the first episode at it was aired.

by You ALL have Zoidberg!reply 4309/11/2013

Yeah, in this season's episode with the "earth shattering" sound coming from the space-ship, I was disappointed that they went back to that episode and "made up" the sound (it totally WASN'T there before).

by You ALL have Zoidberg!reply 4409/12/2013
Need more help? Click Here.