Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Was I the only person who didn't like Blue Jasmine?

In all fairness, I have never really cared for Woody A's movies. I didn't find this one any less annoying.

I've always enjoyed british films, and Woody's films have pretty much the same construct, but his flash backs dive me crazy.

by Anonymousreply 2012/25/2013

I liked it!

by Anonymousreply 109/05/2013

Hated it. They shouldn't have sold it as a comedy. There was nothing funny. Plus, what the hell are Andrew Clay and Bobby Cannavale doing, playing NY Italians? It takes place in San Francisco.

by Anonymousreply 209/05/2013

I agree about they italian stereotype in San Fran-made no sense. I did like the movie though, and I thought Andrew Dice Clay was excellent in his role.

by Anonymousreply 309/05/2013

Yes, OP. Nobody on the entire plant shares your thoughts on anything. You're very, very special.

by Anonymousreply 409/05/2013

Your dislike of Woody Allen confuses me, given the complete lack of Untermenschen in his casting.

Classic Woody Allen cast, aka Big Old Loaf of White Bread. No dirty brown people yanking down intelligence levels or economic viability. Thought that would be right up your alley.

by Anonymousreply 509/05/2013

Cate Blanchett's staggering, brilliant performance is really the only reason to see the film.

by Anonymousreply 609/05/2013

I agree Cate was great. I also like Sally Hawkins, Dice Clay and Louis CK. But as with alot of later Woody the scripts are the weakest part. He basically cribs Streetcar and gussies it up with modern days tropes. I half expected Cannavale's character to start talking about the Napoleonic Code. Just weak. Also the plot depended on really unbelievable twists like Cate and Skargard running into Dice Clay downtown and then her somehow getting across the Bay to Oakland and then back to the Mission so she could have her final breakdown. Stupid. Also that had to have been one of the lamest SF parties ever. The KTEL records soft disco music playing was totally cutting edge. It looked like it may have been Marin County so that might explain that. So I guess I really didn't like this too much.

by Anonymousreply 709/05/2013

r7, agreed. As much as I enjoyed "Match Point" -- for the performances and the glorious cinematography -- the fact that the script was a mash-up of "Crime & Punishment" and "An American Tragedy," I kinda lost interest in the story.

And speaking of cinematography, why was "Match Point" and "Midnight in Paris" so gorgeously photographed while "Blue Jasmine" and "Vicky Cristina Barcelona" dreadfully photographed -- two of the worst-looking films I've ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 809/05/2013

I finally got around to seeing it and was really disappointed. Especially after the big build up and the rave reviews.

Woody should have titled it 'A Streetcar Named Jasmine' because that's what it was.

But, yes, Cate was wonderful and Oscar worthy.

by Anonymousreply 912/25/2013

Really not a very good movie. Cate B was great. Sally H was very good. Alec B and Bobby C (both of whom I usually like) were terrible and just okay, respectively. Worth seeing for her performance, but a lazy, clumsy movie overall.

by Anonymousreply 1012/25/2013

But Cate is probably a lock for the oscar nevertheless. And deservedly IMO--her performance is the only real reason to see the movie.

by Anonymousreply 1112/25/2013

One of those horrible movies ppl pretend to like. Your just watching Kate B chewing the scenery, not a movie.

by Anonymousreply 1212/25/2013

Cate B. is great in the film, bud does her accent really swing from East to West Coast as Lady Cora said?

The film is mediocre at best. Some of the acting is downright embarrassing (Cannavale and Clay, oy!).

by Anonymousreply 1312/25/2013

Cate Blanchett was able to rise above the mediocre material; however, that doesn't make Blue Jasmine any good. There were way too many plot holes and thoroughly unlikeable characters...still, Cate nailed every scene in which she appeared.

by Anonymousreply 1412/25/2013

P.S.

I happen to know that Cate B. didn't entirely get along with Allen. From what I understand she just did what she thought was right for the part.

by Anonymousreply 1512/25/2013

OP, You're diving me crazy! Merry Christmas.

by Anonymousreply 1612/25/2013

R15, Allen is also known for not really directing actors. He basically hires who he thinks is right for the part and lets them do their job. What he actually does to earn his paycheck isn't entirely clear - he hires the worlds greatest actors and cinematographers and basically lets them work.

Also, if anyone else blatantly ripped of Streetcar, the media would have called them on it. For some reason this guy is teflon.

by Anonymousreply 1712/25/2013

Didn't Almodovar do this a while ago with Mother? Wait no, he ripped on Eve using Streetcar as the play they were acting in. Anyway. Movie was pretty good nonetheless.

by Anonymousreply 1812/25/2013

How was Vicky badly-photographed, R8? Just curious, I actually enjoyed it.

Match Point was very very good, but it was more plot than photography that drew me to it.

by Anonymousreply 1912/25/2013

R15, thanks for the input

If you know Cate B, Big and Small was one of the best theatre nights of my life.

by Anonymousreply 2012/25/2013
Need more help? Click Here.