Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Don't forget to watch Hot in Cleveland on Wed.night for the MTM reunion

Mary, Valerie, and Cloris featured in the episode.

by Anonymousreply 2409/07/2013

The name "Cloris" always creeps me out.

by Anonymousreply 109/04/2013

Poor Mary looks like hell.

by Anonymousreply 209/04/2013

And Betty White is going to hang herself.

by Anonymousreply 309/04/2013

The piece about it in TV Guide was fucking depressing. Mary Tyler Moore is so ill/infirm she was to be shot only above the waist and "moved" from one chair to another but surprised the audience by standing to accept her ovation. I didn't know she was that disabled. Sad.

Valerie is, well, terminal but not using the word 'dying'. There was a comment that she was the maternal one of the group and that when Cloris Leachman started 'acting up' (uh, at 87? WTF? I remember something insane about throwing food?) and upsetting Moore and ?Engel, Harper comforted them or calmed things down or something. Then it quoted the old director of the show as saying 'Cloris always was a challenge but worth it' (I'm paraphrasing).

I didn't care when I heard that the casts of "ALF" and "Home Improvement" loathed one another. I got over it that Mike Brady liked the child actors but hated the creator/writers and producers. But this implied that things weren't one big happy family on the MTM set, and that is distressing.

Understandable, but upsetting.

If I ever learn that Bob Newhart didn't love Suzanne Pleshette, I might cry.

by Anonymousreply 409/04/2013

R4 brought a tear to my eye..

by Anonymousreply 509/04/2013

Will Ariel Castro's towel make an appearance?

by Anonymousreply 609/04/2013

Cloris looked great. It was nice to see the ladies together, maybe for the last time.Jesse Tyler Ferguson and George Hamilton were good too, but the MTM crew brought back fun memories.

by Anonymousreply 809/04/2013

Cloris had all the best lines and still has perfect timing. Mary looked horrible. Shockingly bad.

by Anonymousreply 909/04/2013

R4 The MTM set was calm, people got along.

Cloris may have slightly annoyed the fellow actors but they (mostly) liked her. From what I understand, it was usually the producers who would be over her antics - she always wanted to do, redo, redo over and over, or question everything (as Shelley Long did later).

by Anonymousreply 1009/04/2013

r10, whatever stunts she pulled worked, because she stole every scene she was in.

by Anonymousreply 1109/05/2013

[quote]If I ever learn that Bob Newhart didn't love Suzanne Pleshette, I might cry.

Off topic (slightly), but by all accounts they adored each other and socialized off the set with their spouses -- Suzanne and Ginny Newhart were very close.

by Anonymousreply 1209/05/2013

"Georgette, you know I love you bit that is NOT an interesting story."

Okay, that was a Phyllis line from "Rhoda" but still...

by Anonymousreply 1309/05/2013

I didn't see it but it doesn't sound like there was a fun homage to Phyllis throwing chocolate on Sue Ann's blouse. That would have been fun.

I didn't think it was possible to annoy Georgia Engel.

by Anonymousreply 1409/05/2013

Don't be fooled by Georgia. She's a deep, dark, highly complicated individual.

by Anonymousreply 1509/05/2013

I got a little teary watching it. MTM did not look well and with the news about Valerie Harper, it was kind of bittersweet. These ladies were pretty much the funny ladies of most of our childhoods, so it was great to see them together one more time.

Best ending was seeing the MTM cat in the window giving its infamous 'meow'.

by Anonymousreply 1609/05/2013

[quote]The name "Cloris" always creeps me out.

It was really trendy when she was born. Phyllis, Doris, Ch(l)oris... all those old Greek women's names ending in "-is" were once the Brooklyns and Jaydens of their era.

by Anonymousreply 1709/05/2013

Why does TVLand continue to show reruns of Raymond, etc., but never their own shows? Strange.

by Anonymousreply 1809/05/2013

I have downloaded it and will watch...I am so glad they had the chance to do this.

by Anonymousreply 1909/06/2013

Would be great to see a "Behind the Scenes" feature.

by Anonymousreply 2009/06/2013

Besides being unable to move well, it's pretty clear Mary is almost totally BLIND at this point from the diabetes. Her eyes don't focus directly on who's speaking, and her pupils take up her entire iris, they are so dilated.

Mary was absent from this summer's "Broadway Barks" event, a charity she started with Bernadette Peters to help adopt shelter animals, and we were told it was because she had fallen and broken her shoulder and couldn't move well.

Well, when you're blind, you often fall and can't move well. It's all very sad.

Mary was much more physical (and could still see) just 2 years ago when she first guest starred on "Hot in Cleveland" as Betty's jail cellmate.

This time, Cloris had all the good lines and jokes and seemed to be in the best of shape - even Betty at 91 doesn't get around well anymore and sometimes spends whole episodes seated.

by Anonymousreply 2109/07/2013

Cloris in Raising Hope >>> Betty in this piece of shit

by Anonymousreply 2209/07/2013

How is Valerie looking? Is she keeping the weight off?

by Anonymousreply 2309/07/2013

I found it delightful and loved seeing them all together. Cloris has impeccable comic timing and Mary and Valerie had a moment together.

This episode should have been an entire hour instead of the two episode ending. I would have loved more time with them.

They did live audience but used a scrim so the audience could not see Mary being put in place.

I found it very touching.

by Anonymousreply 2409/07/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!