Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Mall Store Staff Quits, Leaves Abusive Boss Very Public Note

Fed up with their district manager's abusive mistreatment, employees at a Journeys footwear and apparel store inside Rochester's Marketplace Mall decided to storm out together in the middle of the day, during the busy Back to School season, locking up the store behind them.

Naturally, such a kickass move wouldn't be complete without an equally kickass letter of resignation, so Niki, Jess, and TJ made sure to leave a nice long one attached to the store's security bars for all potential customers to see.

As has been pointed out, malls typically subject store owners to a fine of up to $500 for each day of unannounced closure, which is really the cherry on top of this rich justice sundae.

by Anonymousreply 2709/04/2013

I didn't know malls typically fine a store if they have an unannounced closure. Malls are really the devil in the retail world. A few of the malls in my area can't keep tenants and are well known for abusing store owners. But that's besides the point of this story. Good for those employees.

by Anonymousreply 109/04/2013

I'd say good for those employees, too. But we don't know the real story. I've have friends in management positions who swear that employees these days are unbelievable babies; lazy and in need of constant praise. Maybe that was the case here? We can't know from a multi-color, badly punctuated letter taped onto a front door.

If twenty people had walked away, it would suggest something really rotten was going on there. But three mall employees complaining that their boss was mean doesn't necessarily mean anything.

by Anonymousreply 209/04/2013

It won't change anything though. Those small stores are really hellish.

by Anonymousreply 309/04/2013

Funny, I just caught "Scenes from a Mall" on cable last night (the movie starring Woody Allen and Bette Midler) and was thinking how utterly passé malls are. I can't even remember the last time I was in one.

Also, "roll"? These people should probably head straight to a community college and sign up for some remedial spelling and grammar courses.

by Anonymousreply 409/04/2013

If what they are saying is true, that there is a high turnover with managers, then I tend to think they may have a legit gripe. Good for them, it takes balls to quit a job like that in this economy.

by Anonymousreply 509/04/2013

r4, as the resident Bette Midler apologist even I can't stand Scenes from a Mall. I hope you were at least drunk.

by Anonymousreply 609/04/2013

[quote]"You abuse your roll..."

Shame on him. No one should get away with manhandling his pumpernickel so blatantly.

by Anonymousreply 709/04/2013

Oh please, I manage a retail business and I can't tell you how many "grandmothers funerals" my dopey employees have to attend on sunny weekends in summer---never winter, mind you. They are also the puking-est group of people I've ever encountered. I get at least one text a week about how someone is "up all night throwing up" and won't be able to make it in to work. Uh huh. I just wish they'd TRY to entertain me with some more creative excuses. I especially love it when these fools post pictures of themselves on FaceBook partying when they're supposed to be too sick to work. Idiots.

I'd be willing to bet that cancer comment was from some spoiled little girl who wanted to go to the beach with her friends, but was scheduled to work instead. She probably thought all she had to do on the morning of her shift was call her boss and utter the magic word "cancer" (in relation to some fake distant relative) and her boss would say, "no problem, take all the time you need, dear. We'll be slammed and our customer service will suffer, but don't you worry about it." Uh, no.

by Anonymousreply 809/04/2013

You know, you're just shopgirls..

by Anonymousreply 909/04/2013

R8 = Jamie

by Anonymousreply 1009/04/2013

Every story has at least two sides and I'm sure the manager, while hardly wonderful, has some good stories to tell as well. Of course by now the three employees have been replaced.

by Anonymousreply 1109/04/2013

At least they closed the gate and locked it.

by Anonymousreply 1209/04/2013

I worked retail in high school and college and I wish I'd had the balls to do that. To this day, I am always polite and respectful of retail workers because I can remember how shitty it could be.

by Anonymousreply 1309/04/2013

WEBMISTRESS!....

R14!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 1509/04/2013

Unfortunately, no, R6. I was stone-cold sober. I think what horrified me the most was the idea of walking around a mall with a surfboard. It just seemed utterly ridiculous to me. And the décor of their Beverly Hills house was just atrocious, even by early '90s standards.

by Anonymousreply 1609/04/2013

That will teach them!

by Anonymousreply 1709/04/2013

R15 That pic is perfect!

by Anonymousreply 1809/04/2013

I waited tables at a restaurant in Nantucket back in the late 80's. The owner/manager was rude and abusive. Towards the end of the summer, we had all had enough, so, after the restaurant was filled and all the orders were placed in the kitchen, the entire staff walked out. So...for anyone who's still waiting at Arno's for their dinner, sorry.

by Anonymousreply 1909/04/2013

Abused roll.

by Anonymousreply 2009/04/2013

Sounds like the staff likes to call in sick a lot.

by Anonymousreply 2109/04/2013

Big statement. You are now unemployed and several other people have jobs. Work sucks for a lot of people, deal with it.

by Anonymousreply 2209/04/2013

R19 -- I'm familiar with Nantucket, the guy has had a bad reputation for years as being crazy.

by Anonymousreply 2309/04/2013

R19 and R23- It's true that Arno's went through a couple of seasons with a bat-shit crazy proprietor. However, in fairness, one major issue was the hiring of the worst wait staff imaginable. The Arno's servers had a well-deserved reputation for giving service worse than Fooods, while expecting tips to rival The Pearl's.

by Anonymousreply 2409/04/2013

R7 and R20--You'll be hearing from my attorneys.

by Anonymousreply 2509/04/2013

R24 -- The reason Arno's had such bad service is because the turnover was absurdly high. He would fire people for the slightest reason, and people would quit as soon as they found another job because they couldn't stand to work there. He would throw knives at employees for no reason. He would tip a full garbage can upside down and tell one of the waiters to sort through it, while you were trying to wait on tables, mind you. So, yeah, the service was bad -- and some of the waiters were pretty awful -- but a lot of it had to do with most of the staff being new at any given time, and having to deal with awful conditions. I don't believe that the then-owner is the current owner, and I wish the new owners the best of luck.

by Anonymousreply 2609/04/2013

Good for them. I believe the employees. Retail and service jobs are even worse these days. They hassle the employees 24/7. Wages have stagnated for the past 30 yrs so their small pay is worth even less.

by Anonymousreply 2709/04/2013
Need more help? Click Here.