Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Airport (1970)- A Ross Hunter Superproduction!

Oh my God- *This* deserved TEN Oscar nominations?

by Helen Hayes' pompomed hatreply 1809/04/2013

I'm the very satisfying slap air hostess Jackie Bisset gives to that annoying stowaway woman cutie pie Helen Heyes.

by Helen Hayes' pompomed hatreply 109/04/2013

I'm Jean Seberg's glacial looks and hair and that divine little outfit with the short pleated skirt.

by Helen Hayes' pompomed hatreply 209/04/2013

I'm Dana Wynter, Burt's still looker of a wife, coming to ask for a divorce as he loves the airport more than her ...

by Helen Hayes' pompomed hatreply 309/04/2013

I'm Barbara Hale, Dino's wife arriving just in time to see him caring for injured Bisset and not even noticing her !

by Helen Hayes' pompomed hatreply 409/04/2013

I'm Maureen Stapleton, throwing the movie off by mimicking identifiable human emotions.

by Helen Hayes' pompomed hatreply 509/04/2013

Surely you can't be serious.

I am serious!

by Helen Hayes' pompomed hatreply 609/04/2013

It seems now that a thread doesn`t have to be a `Let`s pretend we`re...` for DLers to spontaneously turn it into one.

by Helen Hayes' pompomed hatreply 709/04/2013

I am the obvious, being stated at R7

by Helen Hayes' pompomed hatreply 809/04/2013

I'm Gloria Swanson's stunt double, flashing my panties as I slide down the evacuation slide.

by Helen Hayes' pompomed hatreply 909/04/2013

I'm Burt Lancaster proclaiming this movie is the biggest piece of crap I ever made, but still happily taking 10 % of the profits.

by Helen Hayes' pompomed hatreply 1009/04/2013

Laugh all you want, but it's a pretty good movie. And it was a massive hit in 1970; adjusted for inflation, it's the 43rd highest grossing film of all time, with $539 million. Hard to imagine a character-driven adult melodrama (infidelity, suicide, abortion are all discussed in the film) grossing that amount in today's comic book film market.

by Helen Hayes' pompomed hatreply 1109/04/2013

It was a huge book first, and Arthur Hailey's book got top billing. Big star studded entertainment. I remember seeing it at Radio City Music Hall as a kid and laughing at Helen Hayes, and being toward the back, watching the whole audience jump when the bomb went off and everything was flying about. Maureen Stapleton should have had the Oscar over Hayes, who was a legend then. The beginnings of the Blockbuster.

by Helen Hayes' pompomed hatreply 1209/04/2013

Stapleton is so real with her emotions that she throws the movie off kilter, it was like a comic strip until she arrives, but we love her.

by Helen Hayes' pompomed hatreply 1309/04/2013

Two bad movies which made a shitload of money, Airport and Love Story, were well-nominated. Absurdly, but then again no considering it's the Academy, the Academy preferred them to a much better film which was merely the seventh biggest grossing movie of the year, Little Big Man (only one nomination, best supporting actor for Chief Dan George).

It was not a great year at the movies, although it did give us Five Easy Pieces, MASH, Satyricon, Diary of a Mad Housewife, and El Topo.

by Helen Hayes' pompomed hatreply 1409/04/2013

AIRPORT's best pic nomination is no worse than those for THE ALAMO, CLEOPATRA, DR. DOOLITTLE, or HELLO, DOLLY.

by Helen Hayes' pompomed hatreply 1509/04/2013

It's better than CRASH

by Helen Hayes' pompomed hatreply 1609/04/2013

Hell, Airport is not only better than Crash, it's also considerably better than several other winners: The Greatest Show On Earth, Braveheart, A Beautiful Mind....

by Helen Hayes' pompomed hatreply 1709/04/2013

At the end of the film, the traditional place for writers to arrange happy endings for the deserving and dispense justice to the bad, the author has all the marriages break up.

That'd never fly today, would it.

by Helen Hayes' pompomed hatreply 1809/04/2013
Need more help? Click Here.