Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Tech help please: My virus protection (McAfee) always gets stuck at 84% complete

any ideas why?

by Anonymousreply 1909/05/2013

In the US, gays still only have 84% of the rights of straights.

by Anonymousreply 109/04/2013

You in danger, girl.

by Anonymousreply 209/04/2013

OP,join YOBSN and you'll get free anti-virus programs!

by Anonymousreply 309/04/2013

Why don't you re-load your ant-virus protection?

by Anonymousreply 409/04/2013

Do you have an external hard drive or multiple external hard drives hooked to your machine? That was my issue. When I unhooked the external hard drives and scanned them separately it worked.

by Anonymousreply 509/04/2013

you have a virus buy a Mac

by Anonymousreply 609/04/2013

Dump MacAfee. It's garbage. Get Microsoft Security Essentials. Far superior product.

by Anonymousreply 709/04/2013

R6, not everyone can be as rich as you to have a Mac.

by Anonymousreply 809/04/2013

When McAfee is at 84%, is it scanning a particular file? If so, wouldn't that mean that file is infected? I know that on several anti-virus scans, you can see the filenames as they are scanned.

Also if you have Windows 8, I don't think you can download MSE. But you can get Windows Defender once you remove McAfee.

Warning: I am a computer novice so check with more authoritative sources.

by Anonymousreply 909/04/2013

For the life of me, I cannot understand why anyone would use McAfee or Norton. With every PC I buy, the FIRST thing I do is uninstall which ever antivirus software and immediately install Microsoft Security Essentials. As R7 indicated, go with Microsoft Security Essentials. Ignore the people who will preach "its from the evil Microsoft." I have used it for years and NEVER have an issue with it. They update it several times a day and it does nothing to slow my PC down. And it is TOTALLY free. So many of the other "free" products out there are only partial protection and want you to upgrade to a pay subscription.

by Anonymousreply 1009/04/2013

I have Trend Micro. It's great. I never have a problem. Before I had it installed, I asked my IT guy at work and he assured me that it was a very good and secure product. He was right.

by Anonymousreply 1109/04/2013

What's a virus?

by Anonymousreply 1309/04/2013

You might unknowingly have another anti-virus program running simultaneously that's trying to counteract your McAfee. This was the case with my mom and dad's computer. MS Security Essentials kept slowing down at a certain point and then freeze. I found out that their damn AOL VirusScan program was discreetly counteracting it.

by Anonymousreply 1409/04/2013

I do have norton also. Should I delete one?

by Anonymousreply 1509/04/2013

M*therF*cker's like a screen-grab of where you slept the machine, and the screen is the last to awaken - so you're happy if you wanted to continue reading from the page you left, but there will be a noticeable delay before the screen is refreshed.

by Anonymousreply 1609/04/2013

Get rid of McAffee. It SUCKS. It's a waste of money. And the wonder is a certifiable lunatic (or at least, the guy the company is named after).

And never run two at the same time. Don't run both Norton AND McAffee. Sheesh. I thought everyone knew that.

by Anonymousreply 1709/05/2013

[quote]my computer has a 64 bit microprosessor and won't take MS Essentials.

MSE works fine on 64 bit computers.

I've always used it on 64-bit installs and OSs.

If you have Windows 8, you don't need to do anything, it's just built in.

If you have Windows 7, you just install Microsoft Security Essentials (there's a version for 32bit and a version for 64bit).

It's handy to keep CCleaner and Spybot Search & Destroy and other removal tools handy though.

by Anonymousreply 1809/05/2013

You don't need McAfee. Get rid of it. Same with Norton. They're the scammers.

by Anonymousreply 1909/05/2013
Need more help? Click Here.