Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Air Bed Advice

There are so many airbeds out there, I'm confused on which is the best one to get for $100-150.

I need one for about 7-9 weeks while I move cross country, and get settled and get a real bed. Looking for a queen-sized double high bed, that wont leak easily.

Any suggestions, personal experiences?

Thanks

by Anonymousreply 1209/10/2013

You can't have an airbed if you have cats or dogs. None of them will work - especially the "velour" coated airbeds.

As the season ends, purchase a long comfy lounge chair cushion and make do until you purchase a bed. It's cheaper and it won't deflate at 3:00 am.

by Anonymousreply 109/03/2013

Coleman's

by Anonymousreply 209/03/2013

I've slept many nights on Intex, AeroBed and Coleman air mattresses. I found the Intex the most comfortable and it had a built-in pump; however, it also had a built-in "pillow," when I would have preferred it to be completely flat. These days they now have models that are and you won't have to worry about that.

The AeroBed is a very close 2nd. It's very comfortable.

Make sure the pump to inflate it is included when you buy. The Coleman I slept on didn't have one, so it had to be bought separately. Also, for some reason, I didn't find the Coleman to be as comfortable as the other two (it was hard as a rock but when you let some air out it really let you sink too much) but that could be just me. Serta and other mattress makers now sell air beds, so I imagine they are good too.

As long as you don't have pets to puncture the bed, you should be able to sleep on it for several weeks.

by Anonymousreply 309/03/2013

You get what you pay for. But they will all eventually leak.

by Anonymousreply 409/03/2013

I agree on the Coleman® (at link) Definitely no smaller than a queen as the twins tend to tilt.

You may want to add a little air about once a week, but the valves are such that all you have to do is twist the pump onto the valve and you're done in a few seconds.

I dealt with an Intex with the built in pump a few years ago, had issues and then the pump screwed up on the second day. leaving no way to inflate it.

I'd go with Coleman.

by Anonymousreply 509/04/2013

Agree with R3 on AeroBed. I have one that I use in my home office when I have family or friends in town.It's way more comfortable than I thought an air bed could be. I have spinal problems so I was really worried that I wouldn't be able to sleep or I'd wake the next morning in so much pain that I'd be chewing my prescription pain meds like they were candy. I sleep just as well on the AeroBed as I do on my regular bed, and have continued to throughout the last several years.

Like I said, I've had it for several years; I have two cats that absolutely insist on sleeping on my bed with me (When I've closed them out of my bedroom or my home office they have stayed outside the door howling like they were being declawed without anesthesia until I let them in and on the bed with me) The first several nights I slept on the AeroBed I was worried I was going to end up waking up in a hollow in the AeroBed as my cats laughed as it deflated, but it never happened. Maybe because my cats only sleep on the bed, they never play? Or maybe because I deflate it every morning so my home office can be used? I don't know, I'm just grateful that I'm not having to buy a new one every time I have family or friends come into town.

by Anonymousreply 609/04/2013

Coleman's is sturdy and easy to inflate.

by Anonymousreply 709/04/2013

You can buy a cheap queen size mattress and box spring for $150 (total) at most outlet stores or discount furniture stores.

by Anonymousreply 809/04/2013

Another vote for the AeroBed. Very easy to inflate and extremely comfortable.

by Anonymousreply 909/04/2013

Serta and Simmons make them now.

by Anonymousreply 1009/04/2013

Thanks All! Great suggestions! Much Appreciated!

by Anonymousreply 1109/10/2013

Get a mattress sized slab of foam rubber, maybe 4 to 6 inches thick. Just roll it up and take it home. I believe I bought mine at K-Mart. Or get a folding mat. See link.

For the adventurous, try a Korean yo.

by Anonymousreply 1209/10/2013
Need more help? Click Here.