Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Michelle Williams to Make Broadway Debut in ‘Cabaret’

Michelle Williams, the three-time Academy Award nominee and former star of the television series “Dawson’s Creek,” will make her Broadway debut this season as Sally Bowles in Roundabout Theater Company’s revival of “Cabaret,” according to two theater executives familiar with the casting news. Ms. Williams will star along with Alan Cumming as the M.C., a role he played in the 1998 Roundabout production of “Cabaret” – and for which he won a Tony Award. The producers are aiming to start performances in early 2014.

The role of Sally – made famous by Liza Minnelli in Bob Fosse’s 1972 film adaptation – was initially going to be played by the film star Emma Stone (“The Amazing Spider-Man”), but her representatives said in May that movie commitments prevented her from starring in “Cabaret.” The news about Ms. Williams was first reported on Tuesday by Brendan Lemon on his blog lemonwade.com.

The two theater executives with knowledge of Ms. Williams’ casting spoke on condition of anonymity because Roundabout Theater Company had not authorized its announcement. A spokesman for Roundabout, asked about Ms. Williams, said on Tuesday, “We’ll be announcing information shortly, which will also be on roundabouttheatre.org.”

A representative for Ms. Williams, contacted on Tuesday afternoon, had no immediate information about the “Cabaret” casting. Ms. Williams was nominated for an Oscar for best supporting actress for “Brokeback Mountain” – in which she appeared opposite Heath Ledger, who became her partner and father of her daughter – and then for best actress for “Blue Valentine” and “My Week with Marilyn.” The director Sam Mendes is expected to stage the revival, with Rob Marshall as co-director and choreographer – duties they shared for the 1998 revival as well.

The original Broadway production of “Cabaret” opened in 1966 and won the Tony for best musical and best score for the composer John Kander and the lyricist Fred Ebb; the show has a book by Joe Masteroff, based on writings by Christopher Isherwood.

by Anonymousreply 4109/05/2013

cool

by Anonymousreply 109/03/2013

Do we really need "Cabaret" again?

by Anonymousreply 209/03/2013

Interesting.

by Anonymousreply 309/03/2013

Oh great, guaranteed that the apologists will need to break out the tired meme applied to the abysmally tone deaf Natasha Richardson, Brooke Shields, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Molly Ringwald, et al. "Sally Bowles is not supposed to be a great singer, so this casting works beautifully!" UGH!!! Makes me want to vomit every time some asswipe says that. Audience members don't pay hundreds of dollars for a Broadway musical to hear some of the greatest tunes in the canon butchered by some Hollywood actress with a non-existent vocal range. It's insulting and infuriating to say the least. And why don't these same defenders then use this argument for most every other female role in a musical? I can't recall many leading characters that are bird-like songstresses. "Maria is a convent nanny! She's not supposed to have a great voice! Mame is a zany Manhattan socialite!! She's not supposed to have a great voice!! Marian is a small-town librarian!! She's not supposed to have a great voice! Eliza is a Cockney guttersnipe!! She's not supposed to have a great voice!! Oh please! Enough!! For the love of God, get an actress who can actually sing to play Sally Bowles. Thank heaven Liza did the film in her prime.

by Anonymousreply 409/03/2013

Ugh. I still remember her "old lady doing SINGLE LADIES" at the Superbowl

by Anonymousreply 509/03/2013

r4

Because: Jill Haworth and Judi Dench. That's why.

by Anonymousreply 609/03/2013

Cue the Heath Ledger troll in 3..2...

by Anonymousreply 709/03/2013

She can't sing and she'll suck. They had their chance for a real star..."star of Dawson's Creek" humph.

by Anonymousreply 809/03/2013

Michelle Williams is a good actor, and can really sing. As long as she can project over the footlights (has she ever done any live theater?), she should be sensational.

by Anonymousreply 1009/03/2013

Awesome! Will definitely be buying a ticket for this.

by Anonymousreply 1109/03/2013

[quote] As long as she can project over the footlights (has she ever done any live theater?), she should be sensational.

You don't need to be able to project anymore, doll. More's the pity.

by Anonymousreply 1209/03/2013

Bobby Steggert for Cliff?

by Anonymousreply 1309/03/2013

I thought we were gonna be spared this revival of a revisal, but I guess not.

by Anonymousreply 1409/03/2013

So Alan Cumming will be eligible to win again for this role?

by Anonymousreply 1509/03/2013

Danny Burstein for Herr Schulz?

by Anonymousreply 1609/03/2013

Too bad there isn't a rule that they can't revive anything for two decades from the last closing.

by Anonymousreply 1709/03/2013

She's a nothing actress with nothing special about her. No X factor or star quality or anything, and I don't think anybody cares (least of all Broadway snobs) that she's going to be starring in this new production. In other words, her name alone will not be able to open the show.

by Anonymousreply 1809/03/2013

r17

Would you institute that rule for Shakespeare?

by Anonymousreply 1909/03/2013

I bet she is going to nail it. Never seen he in anything and she wasn't great or believable. She is very talented and she has range as an actress.

by Anonymousreply 2009/03/2013

Anne at R18:

THREE Oscar nominations in Five years makes her a major name. Even you can't say the same - and given your performance at Joe's Pub of this very same material just a few months ago, I'm glad they chose a REAL actress, not a talent-free kiss ass.

by Anonymousreply 2109/03/2013

I feel it will be 2048 and it will be announced Blue Ivy Carter will be taking on the role of Sally Bowles.

Write. A. New. Musical.

by Anonymousreply 2209/03/2013

Oh Jimmy how cute! I actually HAVE a real Oscar on my mantle at home, just had Adam give it a quickie polish the other day - you know how fast those things tarnish. Or maybe you don't know? You actually don't have one do you. Then again neither does Jen Lindley...and my performance last year for the Public Theater where I "channeled" Sally was warmly received thank you.

You can back to hosting the Daytona 500 or teaching English lit in Houston or whatever it is you're doing these days dearie. I'll send you a postcard from the Nolan set in Iceland next month. That is if I have time! You know how taxing working with A-listers is. Did Spring Breakers manage to break even? I hardly read anything about it. Good luck on that Oscar pitch! Tootles xxoo -

by Anonymousreply 2309/03/2013

Huh? I thought this was Anne's gig, she'd be a natural. Like Michelle but can't see it.

by Anonymousreply 2409/03/2013

No one would be better for the part than Melissa Gorga.

by Anonymousreply 2509/03/2013

Of course, she will get the obligatory Tony nomination.

by Anonymousreply 2609/03/2013

Let's get something new on Broadway instead of reruns.

by Anonymousreply 2709/04/2013

Let's get some creativity back on Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 2809/04/2013

Oh for god's sake. Where are the NEW PLAYS?

by Anonymousreply 2909/04/2013

Yes, call Douglas Carter Beane STAT!

by Anonymousreply 3009/04/2013

I turned it down

by Anonymousreply 3109/04/2013

I turned it down too.

by Anonymousreply 3209/04/2013

OMG a three time nominee doing "replacement" work? This is almost as sad as when Glenn ended up on "The Shield."

by Anonymousreply 3309/04/2013

Willkommen back 'Cabaret'!

by Anonymousreply 3409/04/2013

And.....Alan Cumming

Blech!

by Anonymousreply 3509/04/2013

come to think of it this would be wonderful for Mamie in a few years, get her out of the house and all...

ok Mamie, a five six seven eight..."and don't tell momma....."

cut...no Mamie put more emphasis on "momma" use your anger towards me dear.... use all those anxieties about how you'll never be as good as me, that's what Natasha did and it worked out so well, she got a Tony!

again 5,6, 7, 8!!

by Anonymousreply 3609/04/2013

Didn't we already see this with Miley Cyrus and Robin Thicker?

by Anonymousreply 3709/04/2013

Sam Mendes and Rob Marshall will direct.

by Anonymousreply 3809/04/2013

I'm excited. I can't get enough Cabaret. Saw the last revival with Richardson, Leigh and Gershon. Looking forward to seeing it again.

by Anonymousreply 3909/05/2013

[quote]and former star of the television series “Dawson’s Creek,”

If I was her management team, I'd be ensuring that this part of her resume is no longer mentioned.

by Anonymousreply 4009/05/2013

[quote]I actually HAVE a real Oscar on my mantle at home

Supporting, Anne. They may as well make them half the size or silver plated.

by Anonymousreply 4109/05/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!