Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

You liked the movie but hated the ending

Why'd they have to muck it up?

by Anonymousreply 9712/01/2014

The movie where the two scuba diver get left at sea and eventually die. Forget the name of the movie.

What the hell was the point of this depressing movie. Someone could have been saved.

by Anonymousreply 109/03/2013

"White Palace"- I didn't believe for a minute that Spader would go back to Sarandon, and it would have been poignant and touching if they'd broken up. Instead, we got an eye-rolling rom-com ending.

by Anonymousreply 209/03/2013

Godfather III owns this thread.

by Anonymousreply 309/03/2013

Signs. Of course, I should've seen it coming, it's M. Night Shyamalan after all.

by Anonymousreply 409/03/2013

Recently, Bridesmaids and This is the End which had the same cheesy bit at the end. Otherwise cool and very funny.

by Anonymousreply 509/03/2013

R3, when the movie came out my brother joked that it took Michael so long to die at the end, he thought he was going to have to wait for Godfather IV to see him finally hit the ground.

by Anonymousreply 609/03/2013

The last Indiana Jones movie.

by Anonymousreply 709/03/2013

[quote]The movie where the two scuba diver get left at sea and eventually die. Forget the name of the movie.

Jaws or The Deep, but they were great films.

by Anonymousreply 809/03/2013

R1... Open Water? I don't know.

by Anonymousreply 909/03/2013

Definitely the last Indiana Jones movie.

There's a lot of movies that I like the concept, but not the execution. Prometheus is an example of that.

by Anonymousreply 1009/03/2013

Deep Water, I think it was called.

by Anonymousreply 1109/03/2013

Broadcast News.

Should have ended in the cab.

by Anonymousreply 1209/03/2013

[quote]The movie where the two scuba diver get left at sea and eventually die. Forget the name of the movie.

Open Water.

by Anonymousreply 1309/03/2013

The Queen.

I was hoping the title character would take an AK-47 and exact her bloody revenge on the crowds of mourners surrounding Buckingham Palace, but no such luck.

by Anonymousreply 1409/03/2013

Should have ended two or three times before it actually did.

Poor Haley Joel Osment.

by Anonymousreply 1509/03/2013

Should have ended when Lincoln walked out of the main White House hall to go to the play. It was too painful watching his son's reaction to the bad news.

by Anonymousreply 1609/03/2013

I really liked Mystic River but that ending left a bad taste in the mouth, or rather the final scene. Hated the Laura Linney character and wasn't impressed by her either.

Tootsie to some extent... *spoiler!*....

but only cause I wanted her to continue being this fabulous famous diva, it had to end like that.

by Anonymousreply 1709/03/2013

"Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore"- we didn't need her back with Kristofferson. She was gonna do fine on her own eventually.

by Anonymousreply 1809/03/2013

R2- yes, the White Palace ending is ridiculous. Especially, when the movie was released, the "cougar" thing wasn't as popular. Also, impossible in real life to overcome the class barriers for the couple to be together. If they had broken up it would have been bittersweet.

Hard to believe, I am in my early 40s now and am Susan's age in the movie...And back when the movie was released, I thought she was an older woman.

by Anonymousreply 1909/03/2013

I thought the same thing about Lincoln, R16.

by Anonymousreply 2009/03/2013

My brother was repulsed by the ending of NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN. It messed with his sense of balance since the bad guy didn't get punished. I thought the bad guy DID get punished since he had to walk away from the car wreck (and the wrecked car most probably held his million in cash).

by Anonymousreply 2109/03/2013

Didn't like Lincoln, but I agree that was the natural ending.. it was ominous enough anyway and thought it was going to end there. They could have done the usual epilogue at the end to fill things in.

by Anonymousreply 2209/03/2013

LOTS of complaints about the No Country ending, r21. Don't have a problem with it, I know that it was super faithful to the book so what could they do.

by Anonymousreply 2309/03/2013

"New York Minute" with Mary Kate and Ashley because they survived.

by Anonymousreply 2409/03/2013

A.I. should have ended when Haley was praying to the Blue Fairy to become a real boy.

by Anonymousreply 2509/03/2013

If Lincoln ended with AL going to see the play,it would be kinda defeatist,considering that audience knows what`s gonna follow.

by Anonymousreply 2609/03/2013

[quote]They could have done the usual epilogue at the end to fill things in.

For those who don't know what happened?

Never mind -- this is modern America (home of compulsory free public education), where ads for the recent version of "Marie Antoinette" noted "based on a true story".

by Anonymousreply 2709/03/2013

I hated the ending of Castaway. The bitchy Helen Hunt character that refuses to see him at first, and the whole idea of never revealing what was in that stupid FedEx package was annoying.

by Anonymousreply 2809/03/2013

lol well true r27.. I think there was an epilogue in this? And that bit where he walks off was really ominous enough, so good suggestion that it should be the end.

by Anonymousreply 2909/03/2013

I hate the ending of Disney's Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. I mean, these dwarfs were Snow White's only friends, but once the handsome prince rides along, she just hops on the horse with him and away we go! What an ungrateful, horny bitch!

by Anonymousreply 3009/03/2013

r28 Oh, yeah. I forgot all about CASTAWAY. That's the most fucked-up ending I've ever seen in any movie.

by Anonymousreply 3109/03/2013

Life is a moderately good play with a badly written third act.

Truman Capote

by Anonymousreply 3209/03/2013

"No Way Out" Trying too hard to be too clever.

by Anonymousreply 3309/03/2013

Jobs. He dies in the end. Oh, right....

by Anonymousreply 3409/03/2013

Reality Bites.

Although I later learned that the original ending had Winona Ryder's character dumping both guys, but it didn't test well with audiences. I would have preferred that.

Also to the person who mentioned This Is The End - originally they had a different heaven scene that they didn't like so the movie was edited to end with the two main characters flying up into heaven, but test audiences overwhelmingly said that they wanted to see something of heaven, so they filmed a new "heaven" ending that was different from the original. And when they called the BSB the band already had seen previews for the movie and were psyched to be included.

by Anonymousreply 3509/03/2013

by Anonymousreply 3609/03/2013

AI, the movie,dragged on and on....I agree with you R25.

by Anonymousreply 3709/03/2013

It's a bit obscure, but Scalene is a thriller with an interesting setup & good performances, ruined by a dreadful, silly ending.

by Anonymousreply 3809/03/2013

Dr Zhivago

Always hated the last 1/2 hour or so.

by Anonymousreply 3909/03/2013

The Bad Seed- The ending was nothing like the play.

by Anonymousreply 4009/03/2013

My NFL career

by Anonymousreply 4109/03/2013

"Something's Gotta Give"

I really liked this movie except for the horrible ending. Jack Nicholson and Diane Keaton did NOT belong together. It felt like the ending was reshot as a result of some bad test screening in which a bunch of fraus were upset that it didn't have the standard, formulaic rom-com ending.

by Anonymousreply 4209/03/2013

About AI - the whole movie was disjointed. Agree about false endings, but the scene with the boy's mom really gets to me.

by Anonymousreply 4309/03/2013

django unchained very dumb after ldc died

by Anonymousreply 4409/03/2013

VERTIGO. No matter how many times I watch it, I always want Jimmy Stewart to grab Kim Novak before she falls.

by Anonymousreply 4509/03/2013

Super Size Me

by Anonymousreply 4609/03/2013

The Wizard of Oz

I gave up 2 hours of my life for a fucking dream?

by Anonymousreply 4709/03/2013

Regarding AI, I always wondered why they wrote the ending that Osment's character actually experienced a day with his reanimated mom. I felt they could have programmed him to believe he was with her forever while his robot body was on display in some alien museum.

by Anonymousreply 4809/03/2013

There Will Be Blood.

Just re-watched it this morning on Netflix, and was pissed off all over again at the "I'm finished!" yell from Plainview, with dead Paul Dano in his pool of blood...just nothing there.

And yeah, the A.I. shit with the mother horrified me so much that I've never seen it again since the year it was released, and therefore cannot recall the ending, which is probably a good thing.

by Anonymousreply 4909/03/2013

Both SS films that starred Tammy...

by Anonymousreply 5009/03/2013

I thought A.I. was shit from start to finish.

by Anonymousreply 5109/03/2013

"I really liked this movie except for the horrible ending. Jack Nicholson and Diane Keaton did NOT belong together. It felt like the ending was reshot as a result of some bad test screening in which a bunch of fraus were upset that it didn't have the standard, formulaic rom-com ending"

Sigh...the misogyny never ends here even in a fucking movie thread. As a single, straight chick, I hated the end of SGTG. I though Keaton had better chemistry w/Keanu. Nicholson was used up meat w/no value to anyone except a gold digger.

I also didn't like the ending of Born Yesterday. I cannot see William Holden's smart, witty character falling in love, much less pairing up, with unsophisticated, nit wit Judy Holiday character. I know the idea was she was transformed but she was still showgirl material.

Picnic was a mess.

The Women. Pathetic. Mary pines for a husband that cheats on her then takes him back after she has to orchestrate an elaborate scheme to prove Chrystal (sp) Allen a sleaze and cheat. Mary spent the whole movie proclaiming her pride and value in the institution of marriage only to welcome her cheating ex w/open arms in the end.

by Anonymousreply 5209/03/2013

R52, don't be like that. I won't even waste a joke on you, but that can't be a fun way to go through life.

by Anonymousreply 5309/03/2013

Grease - The flying car at the end ruined it for me. Too silly. It turned the movie into Chitty Chitty Bang Bang II.

by Anonymousreply 5409/03/2013

Picnic is a good one. Too schmaltzy. She just met the guy hours ago and is ready to run off with him? He could've been a serial killer.

by Anonymousreply 5509/03/2013

The Empire Strikes Back - the ending didn't resolve anything.

Disney's The Hunchback of Notre Dame - Quasimodo acknowledged that he was too ugly to be with Esmeralda and let the other guy have her. Quasimodo should have got the girl.

by Anonymousreply 5609/03/2013

"Going Coconuts" - I was disappointed because Donny and Marie didn't get married at the end.

by Anonymousreply 5709/03/2013

The last Lord of the Rings. The final Harry Potter film ended so poorly I wanted to punch someone on my way out of the theater. Vanilla Sky. Agree with AI even though I thought it was a deeply effective, moving film.

by Anonymousreply 5809/03/2013

Not a film, but The Sopranos.

by Anonymousreply 5909/03/2013

So many to choose from and agree with several cited above; "The Master" and "Blue Jasmine" both come to mind for me...

by Anonymousreply 6009/03/2013

This. Never. Happened.

by Anonymousreply 6109/03/2013

"The Pusuit of Happyness" (sic) with Will Smith. He played a homeless father. Spoiler alert! After seeing the raw living he and his young son suffered, it would have been a relief to see him turn a key to his own home and put his little son to sleep in his own bed--after his sheer determination to get off the streets. The pay off was an office job.

by Anonymousreply 6209/04/2013

The Bubble

Horrifying and nonsensical end to a good movie.

by Anonymousreply 6309/04/2013

Sleepless in Seattle.

The only thing that should have happened at the top of the Empire State Building is Meg Ryan tasered, handcuffed, and led off on felony charges for stalking the boy and his father and then luring the child across the country by himself.

by Anonymousreply 6409/04/2013

Since there are several references to A.I., watch this and tell me you didn't cry.

by Anonymousreply 6509/04/2013

"The Brave One". It was flawed but fine, yet the happy ending was ridiculous. Obviously the result of focus grouping the movie before it was officially released. The dark tone of the movie changes all of a sudden and the inevitable ending is averted by blowing the entire character development up to that point to smithereens.

by Anonymousreply 6609/04/2013

The Call was a taut, gripping little thriller UNTIL the last 25 minutes when it went over the rails crazy and stupid. The ending is so stupid and contrary to the tone of the rest of the movie that it makes the entire movie collapse into absurdity.

by Anonymousreply 6709/04/2013

R56 - do you understand the concept of the second movie in a trilogy? it was a cliffhanger.

by Anonymousreply 6809/04/2013

In Bruges was an interesting movie until the last 5 minutes when Colin Farrell got shot (with dum dum bullets) about 6 times but still managed to cross half the town with Ralph Fiennes chasing him, and was still alive and conscious when the ambulance arrived.

by Anonymousreply 6909/04/2013

[all posts by right wing shit-stain # a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 7009/04/2013

In the theater, when that girl throws her phone in the fountain in "The Devil Wears Prada" my friend and I both said, "Fool!" and laughed -- the majority of the audience applauded.

by Anonymousreply 7109/04/2013

Me too R51- hated that movie.

by Anonymousreply 7209/04/2013

"I am Legend" falls apart as soon as he meets another person and it starts getting religious. They abandon the storyline that the creatures are sentient and smart for Will Smith to find god.

Maybe I just got the point of the movie. Humans are idiots. These new creatures can build a new civilization free from the trappings of institutionalized fairytales.

by Anonymousreply 7309/04/2013

The Dark Knight.

by Anonymousreply 7409/04/2013

You rang?

by Anonymousreply 7509/04/2013

Just that Colorado showing, right R74?

by Anonymousreply 7609/04/2013

Three words: [bold]I Am Love[/bold].

I had a blast until the last 15 minutes, then the script just kinda throws up all over the floor.

by Anonymousreply 7809/04/2013

Titanic. I can't believe that old bitch threw that priceless necklace in the fucking ocean!

I actually leaned over to my bf and whispered, "I am gonna scream id she chucks that overboard" as she was walking the deck in her crazy old lady nightgown.

by Anonymousreply 7909/04/2013

Baby Mama!

I like Tina Fey, but she flakes out at the end of everything.

by Anonymousreply 8009/04/2013

Yeah, that was cold, especially after the bitch took their free helicopter ride and all.

by Anonymousreply 8109/04/2013

Schindler's List

by Anonymousreply 8209/04/2013

Malcolm X.

Should have ended with his death. Instead we get a James Earl Jones voiceover and a bunch of multicultural schoolkids all saying, "I am Malcolm X!"

by Anonymousreply 8309/04/2013

Easy Rider Easy Rider Easy Rider Easy Rider Easy Rider Easy Rider Easy Rider Easy Rider Easy Rider Easy Rider Easy Rider Easy Rider Easy Rider Easy Rider Easy Rider Easy Rider Easy Rider Easy Rider Easy Rider Easy Rider Easy Rider Easy Rider Easy Rider Easy Rider Easy Rider Easy Rider Easy Rider Easy Rider Easy Rider Easy Rider Easy Rider Easy Rider Easy Rider Easy Rider Easy Rider Easy Rider Easy Rider Easy Rider Easy Rider Easy Rider Easy Rider Easy Rider Easy Rider Easy Rider Easy Rider Easy Rider Easy Rider Easy Rider Easy Rider Easy Rider Easy Rider Easy Rider Easy Rider

by Anonymousreply 8409/04/2013

A more interesting ending to AI would have been Haley Joel reuniting with his mother, only for her to discover he is no longer in love with her because she abandoned him. For him to break his programing and prove he is more than a machine. And the Jude Law robot could develop fatherly feelings for him and no longer want to be a sex robot, but instead take care of Haley Joel. Again, overcoming programing, overcoming destiny, a journey changing your character, becoming real, becoming a real boy.

What do we get instead? The tale of a robot so focused on its demented programming that it repeats it like a mantra at the bottom of an ocean until its battery dies, is resurrected by aliens millennia in the future, and rather than have any kind of existence, is given the chance for ONE DAY of living the illusion that his programming dictated he desire.

I mean, really. It's not touching in any way. It's rather dark. In Kubrick's hands, it really could have been deeply ironic. But to make it sentimental? Totally off target.

by Anonymousreply 8509/04/2013

[quote]is resurrected by aliens millennia in the future

What the fuck is wrong with so many goddamned morons thinking it was ALIENS at the end of the movie?

They were fucking robots, you idiot! The descendants of the robots humans made, like the boy.

How was that not clear to you? They specifically SAID so in the movie! Did you pay any attention at all?

by Anonymousreply 8609/04/2013

I apologize, that completely changes the meaning of the horrible ending of the movie I watched once in the theater a decade ago.

by Anonymousreply 8709/04/2013

Contact. Jodie's character finally makes it through the wormhole to make contact with the aliens and the alien turns out to be her "father." Big letdown. I wanted aliens!

by Anonymousreply 8809/04/2013

The Roman Spring of Mrs Stone (1961)

I still love it, and imagine the ending outcome to be extremely different than probably intended.

by Anonymousreply 8909/04/2013

Prometheus. Hated it.

by Anonymousreply 9009/21/2013

Liked The Bad Seed but the censors made them change the ending so that villianess child Rhonda got her due.

by Anonymousreply 9110/28/2013

The Call and The Maze Runner

by Anonymousreply 9211/30/2014

Not the ending, per se, as in "last scene," but the resolution of the love story between the two characters: BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN.

by Anonymousreply 9311/30/2014

Force Majeure (Turist), Sweden's entry for the Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 9411/30/2014

Disagree re: I Am Love. One of my favourite movies that year, and damn close to being a perfect movie.

by Anonymousreply 9512/01/2014

But, R28, it ends with an Elvis song!

by Anonymousreply 9612/01/2014

Birdman. I thought it was a fantastic movie, but the last shot undermined the movie's internal logic and was a cheap turn towards sentimentality.

by Anonymousreply 9712/01/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!