Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Are you depressed?

It's back to school, and I feel slightly depressed. I feel like I don't know enough and didn't learn stuff in my previous years properly. Man, I'm hoping I do well this semester.

by Anonymousreply 1209/04/2013

Yes, in my case because I've been unemployed for over two years.

by Anonymousreply 109/03/2013

Yes, due to a death in the family.

by Anonymousreply 209/03/2013

So you didn't do well last semester? Are you on academic probation? You should get to a psychologist and psychiatrist if you aren't already seeing one.

by Anonymousreply 309/03/2013

yes, full of stresses

good luck OP and others on this thread

by Anonymousreply 409/03/2013

OP, I feel exactly the same--problem is, I'm a teacher.

by Anonymousreply 509/03/2013

Yes...unemployed and unmotivated to find something new. Also miserable due to living in Arizona, but probably won't be able to move for a good 8 months or so.

by Anonymousreply 609/03/2013

Unemployed, would love to relocate, but stuck where I am. I feel trapped and I hate it. I live day to day on what little I can scrounge.

by Anonymousreply 709/03/2013

OP, I'm heading back to school this quarter for the first time in over 20 years. I'm nervous and scared, but also excited. Being older, I don't just want to pass tests and get a piece of paper; I want to learn and enjoy myself (let's see if I'm still singing this tune in a few months...).

Anyway, why not try to find the joy in learning?

My community college provides free mental health counseling as a part of my tuition. Why don't you see if yours does too?

Also, are you getting enough Vitamin D? Low D can lead to depression. Many people are low in D. You can either get it from lard (I know that sounds strange), the sun at certain times of year depending on your location, or D drops.

If you don't know enough, you can always learn more. You're going to a great place that provides that sort of thing. Chin up.

by Anonymousreply 809/03/2013

When I sobered up (eleven years ago) I decided to put off resorting to anti-depressants figuring it was probably just booze - a depressant- that was the problem.

Since then, I've tried zinc, exercise, sunlight, and CBT with some results. Then my someone died on me last November. I'm supposed to care about all this different shit - getting a job, making a life, scoring a boyfriend - and I don't fucking care.

I'm thinking as soon as I can afford insurance I'm going to explore pharmaceutical help.

I'm supposed to be hypomanic. Drugs don't help with that one. When I'm happy, I'm happier than you and when I'm sad, I'm sadder than you.

I'm supposed to learn to be comfortable in uncomfortableness. I'm getting pretty good at that.

OP, perhaps you'll be better at it than me. Best of luck.

by Anonymousreply 909/03/2013

R9, try to find a secular meditation group in your area. The best of Buddhist and other eastern traditions without it being a religious thing. It could help greatly with learning to be comfortable in uncomfortableness. Good luck!

by Anonymousreply 1009/03/2013

Welcome to Obama's America.

by Anonymousreply 1109/03/2013

That would be a .. "YES". Similar to R6 and R7 situations. I'm in a new city, trying to find work, and nothing is clicking so far. Good luck to those of you going back to school!

by Anonymousreply 1209/04/2013
Need more help? Click Here.