Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Do people know Moscow has gay bars?

I've found in conversations about the anti-gay Russian laws, that a lot of people (talking about gay Americans mostly) are unaware that most major Russian cities in fact have a thriving gay nightlife. They are under the impression that any gay bar would be illegal and their patrons locked up. Not so

The Russian laws are wrong and a sad state of affairs that should be pressured for change.

But, people's misunderstanding of the situation just supports my view that our reaction to Russia--as opposed to anti gay laws in say Cameroon, Nigeria, Uganda, Egypt or etc.--are racially based.

There are many countries in Africa and the Middle East where not only laws, but also persecution and violence, are much much worse. However, Americans and Europeans relate and react more strongly to the situation in Russia because people there are white and look more like 'us.'

by Anonymousreply 1809/04/2013

i think it's the olympics that's making it a big deal

by Anonymousreply 109/03/2013

I think the reaction is more than legitimate. Unlike other countries, Russian is progressing in denying gay rights.

by Anonymousreply 209/03/2013

Who's under the impression that there are no gay bars in Moscow?

Quite a nice straw man you made, OP.

by Anonymousreply 309/03/2013

[quote]But, people's misunderstanding of the situation just supports my view that our reaction to Russia--as opposed to anti gay laws in say Cameroon, Nigeria, Uganda, Egypt or etc.--are racially based.

Racially based, necessarily, or culturally based?

The United States has much more in common culturally with Russia than it does with the African countries you name.

by Anonymousreply 409/03/2013

What does having a thriving gay nightlife have to do with Russia's anti-gay laws and anti-gay culture. OP is dumb.

by Anonymousreply 509/03/2013

"..just supports my view that our reaction to Russia--as opposed to anti gay laws in say Cameroon, Nigeria, Uganda, Egypt or etc.--are racially based."

Crazy view and crazy justification. With just a teeny tiny hint of racism.

You must troll here often.

by Anonymousreply 609/03/2013

I've spent a few months in Russia. There are a few gay bars, but they're very very hard to find, and are somewhat rundown. The mainstream bars rival anything I've seen in other major cities -- the money they put into them is obscene -- but the few gay bars I saw were tawdry, disgusting, and full of people who look like they were dragged in off the pier. It wasn't a pretty scene at all, and I wasn't made to feel welcome there.

by Anonymousreply 709/03/2013

but for how long?

by Anonymousreply 809/03/2013

Cameroon is not hosting the Olympics. There is no place for any kind of discrimination at the Olympics. The Olympics need to be held in a civilized enlightened place.

by Anonymousreply 909/03/2013

During the worst days of the anti-gay represssion during the 1950s in the USA, there were always gay bars, everywhere -- usually Mafia-run, like the Stonewall Inn, with collusion from corrupt police. They were social clubs, yes, but also retreats where a degree of safety prevailed. Is Moscow any different?

by Anonymousreply 1009/03/2013

No, basically Moscow, in gay terms, is very similar to the US in the 1950s and just the pre-gay rights period.

it's all part of the human development curve that many lesser developed countries still have to go through. hence things are bad in a place like Russia, but worse in a place like Egypt, then worse in Cameroon, and the worst in places like Malawi.

exceptions are anti-gay places like Jamaica and some West Indies nations that could be considered middle-income, and southeast asian countries like laos or cambodia which are pro-gay and low income

by Anonymousreply 1109/04/2013

Gay bars - maybe.

Gay Pride Parades? Not on your life.

by Anonymousreply 1209/04/2013

Yes. A modern city with a population of nearly 12 million (more than New York and Paris combined) would be expected to have a few gay bars, OP. There are even two gay beaches.

by Anonymousreply 1309/04/2013

R11, I would argue that it would even be more pleasant to be a gay-attracted man in Egypt than Russia.

by Anonymousreply 1409/04/2013

If you want to know more about the persecution of gays around the world and what populations are causing the most havoc... click on the links to the various countries:

by Anonymousreply 1509/04/2013

we are aware, @r15, however the olympics are not lending their name the the legitimacy of any of those regimes.

by Anonymousreply 1609/04/2013

I went to a gay bar in St. Petersburg Russia numerous times back in 04...The entrance resembled a prohibition bar and the door had a small sliding panel to be deemed worthy of entry. The inside was pretty great,although hustlers were rampant and pick pocketing a normal activity. Cash was not exchanged for liquor purchases. A small blue card would be punched with the amount you owed,and as you exited you would pay said amount. Lose the card and you paid a hefty amount. Pretty fascinating. There seemed to be a great amount of shame about the whole situation. I had a ball. The guys were hot.

by Anonymousreply 1709/04/2013

The Russian word for "gay" is "goluboi" ("light blue"). Go figure.

by Anonymousreply 1809/04/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!