Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Anyone live in Denver?

I'm considering moving there. What's the cost of living like from your perspective? Job market?

by Anonymousreply 3009/15/2013

No personal perspective, OP, but (if you've not investigated already) there are a number of online "cost of living comparison" calculators such as this one. There's variation among these, and each has its own assumptions on how people spend money, so it's worth looking at the criteria and emphasis.

by Anonymousreply 109/03/2013

Great air quality, CREEPY airport

by Anonymousreply 209/03/2013

Thanks for the link, R1!

by Anonymousreply 309/03/2013

Just left Denver a year ago ....mixed bag. When I moved there in 1997 , it was wonderful 21012, a million more people had moved there, traffic was awful, home prices skyrocketed, etc. they call it "the LA of the Rockies". Smog in winter due to the inversion is awful. Good stuff? Nice quality of life, fitness is king, lots of hotties. Younger Gays live in Capitol Hill near the "Queen Sooper" grocery store. Wealthier, older gays are all in Stapleton "Gaypleton" and some in Wash Park, etc.

Some days I miss it greatly ....

by Anonymousreply 409/03/2013

Thats 2012 ^

by Anonymousreply 509/03/2013

I hear real estate has gone very expensive there.

by Anonymousreply 609/03/2013

We can get a shitload of snow but it doesn't stick around for long.

by Anonymousreply 709/03/2013

Which is better: Denver or Chicago?

by Anonymousreply 809/03/2013

R2- yes the airport is CREEPY....I don't believe it is an Illuminati gathering hot spot BUT it is creepy.

by Anonymousreply 909/03/2013

Denver is much nicer than Chicago, r8. The weather is milder, the city is cleaner, and Denver is more gay friendly, IMO. The airport is bizarre, and gives me the creeps too. Housing is on the expensive side, depending on what part of town you want to live in, of course. I actually don't find traffic to be that bad (compared to some other cities the same size).

by Anonymousreply 1009/03/2013

I was stationed there for 3 years. I love Denver, but it can be a bit insular (people are fundamentally nice...just not very welcoming). The job market isn't that great from what I hear; however, the cost of living is a lot better than you'll find on the east or west coasts.

by Anonymousreply 1109/03/2013

R10 Thanks for answering. I figured Denver would be clean and that the people would be nicer.

I've never technically been in Denver, but I have been through the airport for a connecting flight, and I honestly thought it was a nice airport, so I don't understand this talk of the airport being "creepy". However, the last time I was there was 1998, so did it change after then or something?

by Anonymousreply 1209/03/2013

Christ, are there ANY major cities that have good job markets? Seems like the only one is Austin, TX right now. I really just want to move somewhere that's not super expensive yet still pretty big in terms of population.

by Anonymousreply 1309/03/2013

IBM is building a 8 floor building in the heart of downtown Baton Rouge and filling it full of 500 or so engineers and staffers. 6.8% unemployment rate. Two major universities, community college, hospitals galore.

by Anonymousreply 1409/03/2013

Well, OP, I currently live in Austin, and I lived in Denver for 8 years. And I love both places equally. So torn. The weather is nicer in Austin if you like to wear shorts nearly year round. I can remember some winters in Denver when the HIGH would be 10 degrees, -15 with the wind chill.

But I loved having the mountains just a few minutes away...of course, if you like lakes, Austin's your best bet. The Cherry Creek reservoir ain't exactly fun.

Decisions, decisions.

by Anonymousreply 1509/03/2013

"Christ, are there ANY major cities that have good job markets? Seems like the only one is Austin, TX right now. I really just want to move somewhere that's not super expensive yet still pretty big in terms of population."

Minneapolis has a great job market and it meets your criteria.

by Anonymousreply 1609/03/2013

Denver is still rather small townish. It's rather boring and no real public transportation.

It's nice but I felt like I was in the middle of nowhere.

And Colorado has a lot of fundies. I didn't find it "gay-friendly".

There are worse places. But it's definitely second-tier.

by Anonymousreply 1709/03/2013

inside info: go get a job at Comcast NBC Universal.

by Anonymousreply 1809/03/2013

OP, is it difficult to get to Denver from the other 47 contiguous states?

by Anonymousreply 1909/03/2013

[quote]Great air quality, CREEPY airport

It's fine as long as you DON'T GO NEAR THE BASEMENT.

by Anonymousreply 2009/03/2013

google creepy airport and pages and pages and pages of sites about Denver's airport come up. It is really bizarre looking

by Anonymousreply 2109/03/2013

I has been updated since 1998.

Yes BTR does have jobs w the petrochemical industry ...but still not as hip as Denver or Austin.

by Anonymousreply 2209/03/2013

[quote]I loved having the mountains just a few minutes away.

It takes HOURS to get to the mountains on the weekends. Horrendous traffic and don't even think of driving out of town on a holiday weekend...bumper to bumper.

And summers are hotter than hell. One was enough for us.

by Anonymousreply 2309/03/2013

R23, you need to leave really early if you want to go to the mountains for the weekend. The summers are hot, but it's a dry heat so it doesn't feel as hot. I lived in LA for a year, so I guess everything is better here (traffic, heat, etc). I should have added that it is kind of small town ish. If you don't like outdoor activities (skiing, hiking, etc) you may get bored.

by Anonymousreply 2409/04/2013

It's been 90 degrees every day here for nearly two months solid.

by Anonymousreply 2509/04/2013

Denver: Overgrown cow town. No thanks.

by Anonymousreply 2609/04/2013

Their local newspaper is awful. They wrote a SCATHING critique of me so I went to the publishers and told her to retrrract it or I was going to cram it down her throat.

A vicious fight ensued right in front of her damn dog.

by Anonymousreply 2709/04/2013

I lived in Denver for 20+ years (for work and family reasons). Since 1965, city "officials" have said it's on the verge of being a "world class city." In fact, we used to make it into a drinking game. Most recently, when Clinton announced his next conference would be in Denver, TPTB again invoked "world class city." Truth is: it's a nice mid-size town. No great colleges. Marginal arts scene. Parts are walkable but not to anywhere you'd want to go if you're well-travelled. I owned property in LoDo and LoHi (purchased both in the 1980s). Just sold both for 5 and 6x what I paid for them. Neither neighborhood has anything on the West Loop or the Gold Coast. If quality means anything to you, opt for Chicago.

by Anonymousreply 2809/04/2013

by Anonymousreply 2909/15/2013

I am wondering if Denver will be a sea area in 100 years. Bizarre. I remember a few years ago, someone posted a photo showing areas of the US that would be covered by water in 500 years, and I laughed because it showed the Rocky Mountains completely covered by water. It didn't make sense, due to the altitude. I drove into Aurora (Denver suburb) yesterday, and had to drive home through areas with three feet of water. It was terrifying. The mountain towns have been hit so much worse....I cannot even imagine what they are going through. These are supposedly biblical floods, and once in 500 plus year events, but the scary thing is that they said the same things with the fires in the summer. Global warming isn't pretty. I should probably post this on the global warming thread, if I can find it.

by Anonymousreply 3009/15/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!