Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Skip Ender's Game

Orson Scott Card is probably one of the best Science Fiction writers of the post-Asimov generation. Ender's Game is fantastic, as are its sequels.

He's also one of the most hateful people on the planet. And frankly, I am not so thrilled with Harrison Ford anymore either, "settled and done" my ass.

by Anonymousreply 2211/09/2013

This is a strange kind of shilling,OP.

by Anonymousreply 109/03/2013

Since I'm suggesting that we skip the movie because Card, the book's author and credited sreenwriter and producer, is hate-mongering jackass, I really wouldn't consider this shilling of any sort.

by Anonymousreply 209/03/2013

Does Card hate gays?

by Anonymousreply 309/03/2013

From OP's link:

[quote]In Indiana, it’s now a crime for a same-sex couple even to apply for a marriage license.

Wtf? How is that even possible?

by Anonymousreply 409/03/2013

R3 Where do you live--under a rock?

by Anonymousreply 509/03/2013

Boycott

by Anonymousreply 609/03/2013

I won't pay to see it in a theater or on DVD, but that's because I almost never do, I just download everything.

Orson Scott Card is an ignorant piece of shit, but the movie may be good!

by Anonymousreply 709/03/2013

He's a creepy pedophile, whose books always feature naked pre-pubescent boys.

by Anonymousreply 809/03/2013

"Orson Scott Card is probably one of the best Science Fiction writers of the post-Asimov generation."

No he isn't, he's a small-minded hack who can't write about anything but the lives of little boys. "Ender's Game" is overrated, and the rest of his work is crap.

by Anonymousreply 909/04/2013

He looks like a fat old lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 1009/04/2013

I liked Ender's Game but didn't care for the sequels at all. I don't get calling him one of the best sci fi writers.

He wrote one of the worst novels I've ever read (and I read a lot). It was called Lost Boys and did feature a child serial killer (who like boys surprise).

He also wrote a short story where a 12 yr old boy impregnates an adult woman.

Boys are certainly on his mind.

by Anonymousreply 1109/04/2013

ENDER'S GAME poised to earn a so-so $26-27 million this weekend. That's between THE GOLDEN COMPASS ($25.8M) and AFTER EARTH ($27.5M).

by Anonymousreply 1211/02/2013

Sadly, I'd like to see Ender's Game, but I just can't bring myself to give a single penny to Card or the companies and people (I'm looking at you, Harrison Ford) who will do business with him. While I'm philosophically opposed to downloading content, I'm more at odds with supporting people who would just as soon see me in prison or dead.

Has anyone seen it available for download yet?

by Anonymousreply 1311/02/2013

Sci-fi is full of authors with great ideas who can barely write. Card is a sci-fi author who can write, but has one idea, gifted boys, that he writes over and over.

by Anonymousreply 1411/02/2013

[quote]Card is a sci-fi author who can write, but has one idea, gifted boys, that he writes over and over.

And, we wonder why he's against the homosex...

Fortunately, the movie is not a blockbuster although it's doing well enough. It's not so successful that sequels and a franchise are a sure thing.

by Anonymousreply 1511/09/2013

[quote]it's doing well enough

Guess again. It'll end the weekend at #5 with a total gross of about $44 million. Big fall off. Flop. Especially when you consider production costs.

by Anonymousreply 1611/09/2013

I read Ender's Game about four years ago, on several recommendations from Sci-Fi friends. I thought it was a very good book, not great, but very good.

I also thought it was written by a gay author who was working out feelings that he himself had when he was the same age of his characters: having close relationships with a boy of the same age (that involves a quasi-romantic kiss), lots of naked running and wrestling, several descriptions of genitals, and the scene where (spoiler, for those who care) Ender kills the other boy in a naked, soaped-up bathroom brawl all made me wonder if they paralleled (or were metaphors for) Card's own self-discovery and coming out.

I was really surprised by the amount of homoeroticism in the book, and a little shocked that it all involved pre-pubescent boys.

After I finished the book, I went online to see who this Orson Scott Card guy was. I expected to find some out gay writer, or some kind of ally to the gay rights movement.

Wow, was I surprised.

by Anonymousreply 1711/09/2013

Yeah, right now it's just above $40 million (off an estimated production budget of $110 million, not including promotion and marketing), and it has barely any overseas receipts to speak of. It's going to get completely overshadowed by films like Thor 2 (opening this weekend in the US, already in wide release internationally) and the next Hunger Games, which target the same young / comic / sci-fi audience. It doesn't have the word of mouth like "Gravity" to sustain it; most people have forgotten it was released by now.

I don't see any way in which it'll make back even its production budget. Too bad, so sad, tough shit Orson Scott Card.

by Anonymousreply 1811/09/2013

According to the estimates for the weekend, Ender's Game has by far the hugest dropoff from last weekend: -61% (everything else is dropping by 30 to 43%). As Deadline puts it, "[Ender's Game] was an unabashed franchise play, but the weekend could prove a franchise ender; the box office gross is down over 60% from last weekend, putting the gross after two weekends at $44.2 million. That’s not good enough."

Let's see if OSC does another about face and ends up blaming all those mean homosexuals for tanking his franchise (rather than the movie studios that produced something no one, gay or straight, wanted to see).

by Anonymousreply 1911/09/2013

Ha-ha!

by Anonymousreply 2011/09/2013

I like the studio and some of the actors, but I will not be seeing this movie. In fact, I want to see it crash and burn.

by Anonymousreply 2111/09/2013

It's not doing well because its just not a good movie. I did see it, although I payed for a ticket to a different film, for moral reasons, and the whole film was an exercise in "meh." I never read the book, and while I did find the plot/idea behind it compelling, I assume the movie was significantly watered down to get a PG13 rating, and it really affected the overall impact. The twist at the made me say to myself, "Wait, what?" Rather than the, "Oh my God!" Which was intended.

And yeah, there was homoeroticism everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 2211/09/2013
Need more help? Click Here.