Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Blepharoplasty

I'm having it tomorrow morning, to fix my beady, eyelid-less eyes. I'm scared! Supposedly it'll take all of 90 minutes, but there's nausea, and bruising (assuming I survive, which statistically is likely). Have any DLers had this procedure done? What was your experience, or what are your thoughts about it?

by Anonymousreply 4001/04/2014

Are you Asian or Native American (same thing really)

by Anonymousreply 109/03/2013

My mother had this procedure done when she was 85. She's 92 now and it still looks good. The procedure is quite safe and recovery is relatively short. The younger you are, the shorter the recovery.

You have very little to worry about. I'm sure you or primary care doctor has selected a good surgeon.

by Anonymousreply 209/03/2013

r, what makes you so sure he's selected a good surgeon?

by Anonymousreply 309/03/2013

Scheduled for upper and lower eyelid surgery in November. My upper lids are quite droopy, to the point that I see a slight shadow caused by them on my peripheral vision. I decided to go the whole way and do the bottoms as well.

The surgeon was recommended by an anesthesiologist friend who has seen him operate many times.

I hope I don't come out looking like Kenny Rogers.

by Anonymousreply 409/03/2013

Is ths an option for severe dark circles ad slight undereye bags?

by Anonymousreply 509/03/2013

I don't have obvious bags or dark circles under my eyes, but I am 56 (& male) & I'd prefer to be proactive. Would I be a good candidate for this surgery?

by Anonymousreply 609/03/2013

How much does this cost?

by Anonymousreply 709/03/2013

I would love to have this done, but I am afraid. I have seen too many bad eye jobs, where the person looks shocked all of the time (George Michael). I have also had bad experiences with Botox around the eyes. It just seems like small changes in that area change your entire face.

by Anonymousreply 809/03/2013

I had this surgery. Male vanity I guess. OP I found the anticipation of the surgery was the worst aspect of the procedure. Recovery is no big deal Two swollen blackish eyes for a few weeks. You may notice that your eyes tear easily the first month or so. During the initial recovery the eyes typically crust closed during sleep. I kept a solution of water/rose water and cotton balls near my bed to address this upon waking. You'll be very pleased with the results I'm quite sure.

by Anonymousreply 909/03/2013

Had it done 6 years ago. I had naturally droopy eyelids. Wish I had done it years earlier. Recovery wasn't that bad. Used bags of frozen peas on my eyes. Good luck! You will love the end result.

by Anonymousreply 1009/03/2013

Why do you expect nausea, op?

by Anonymousreply 1109/03/2013

R5, I have dark eye circles too. I've heard about a procedure where they inject carbon dioxide into your lower eye area to improve blood flow since that's what is lacking in that area to cause the darkness, that's according to the MDs.

I would try that first before this invasive procedure.

by Anonymousreply 1209/03/2013

OP here - sorry about the late reply. Had it done Tuesday, and it feels almost normal now. Beverly Hills plastic surgeon, $4500 + anesthesiologist fees (about $1500 but I haven't gotten the bill yet). Didn't hurt, didn't even take the pain meds of anti-nausea meds. Follow-up and stiches out Monday after next (if they don't dissolve before then).

R1, spot-on. I'm Asian.

Glad to finally do this. Nose is next (Xmas time).

by Anonymousreply 1309/09/2013

Wow, OP that is a great price! I thought that it usually ran closer to 10k. What is wrong with your nose? Asians usually have cute little noses.

by Anonymousreply 1409/09/2013

Don't all of the celebrities mentioned in this thread suffer from bad brow lifts? Where's Park Avenue Plastic Surgeon when you need him/her?

by Anonymousreply 1509/09/2013

Thank God I was born with good genes. The things that people do for vanity.

by Anonymousreply 1609/09/2013

for R7

Cost of upper lid surgery, 2500, lower lid 3500, plus costs for hospital fees. Estimate 8-9,000.

Just heard from my doctor's office, my insurance will cover the cost of the upper lid surgery (pictures of your eyes are taken, then again with upper lids taped. This is followed by an eye test both taped and untaped. The lower lid surgery is considered cosmetic.

My doctor told me "approval is given on the extensiveness of the droop of your lids, and the results of the vision test they take. Just putting that out there". So I made sure to "miss' most of the small flashing lights that appeared in the upper right quadrant of each eye purposely. Ergo, fee paid for upper.

by Anonymousreply 1709/19/2013

I'm having special surgery to add dark circles under my eyes

by Anonymousreply 1809/19/2013

I think this is THE surgery to get. Fuck facelifts, when your eyes go is when you start to look old as fuck. This is the main one that would make you look refreshed.

Thing is, it's not the area you'd want to tinker with either. But isn't it also done for medical reasons as well as cosmetic? That's something.

by Anonymousreply 1909/19/2013

You could also just get a bit more sleep and treat yourself better, drink and smoke less, and accept that you're not 25 anymore

by Anonymousreply 2009/19/2013

No eyelids?? Don't your eyeballs dry? What happened to your original eyelids?

by Anonymousreply 2109/19/2013

Congrats OP. So what do you think of the surgeon? Would you recommend him?

by Anonymousreply 2209/19/2013

Had upper and lower lids done on Friday. Little to no pain, but lots of swelling and some bruising. Third day after and I can see it will look great once things calm down.

by Anonymousreply 2311/11/2013

I agree with R19: blepharoplasty is one of the most effective surgeries for achieving a more youthful appearance, particularly since slack skin around the jawline can now, in many cases, be eliminated with injectables. Whether you should get upper, lower or both depends on the patient; you should consider an upper if you have "droopy eyelids" and a lower if you have sagging skin and/or dark circles underneath the eyes, or both procedures at the same time if you have both problems. (Also: note that laser surgery can, in some cases, work as an alternative, particularly if you've accumulated small pockets of fat underneath your eyes. The laser, in effect, breaks up the subcutaneous fat, which is then redistributed elsewhere in your face.)

Btw not only is blepharoplasty often covered by insurance, it's often covered by Medicare! My own mother had an upper/lower procedure last year and didn't pay a nickel out of pocket, though in her case it was entirely non-cosmetic. You have to *need* the procedure, however, e.g. by having noticeably droopy lids and a partial obstruction underneath the eyes.

by Anonymousreply 2411/11/2013

My lids are droopy, but don't interfere with my vision. Can I fake this somehow? I would love to have it done.

by Anonymousreply 2511/11/2013

I had upper and lower. Upper still looks good. They suctioned out fat from under my eyes and it didn't come back, but they tightened my lower eyelid (which looked great) and that only lasted a few years. I did gain some weight in my face, so that may be why the lower lids drooped again.

by Anonymousreply 2611/11/2013

for R25

When you have a consultation, tell the doctor that you see a slight shadow caused by your lids, for example, while driving. Do this to establish that it is not a purely cosmetic issue for you.

My doctor told me that he had seen people with the same degree of droop both qualified and disqualified for payment,. He told me"it all depends on the results of your vision test and the pictures".

As part of your evaluation pictures will be taken with your lids as they appear, and taped up to lift them. Make sure you massage your brows and droop your lids as much as you can before the picture is taken.

You will also be given a vision test, both taped and untaped. It is the same test given during an eye exam. You look into a screen and click a hand held device whenever you see a flash.

I made sure to "miss" many of the flashes that appeared in the upper/outer quadrant on my vision during the untaped test. During the taped test I did not miss any purposely.

The results of my evaluation were sent to my insurance provider, and I qualified for full coverage of the upper eyelid surgery (2500 plus all hospital costs and anesthesiologist, about 1100). I paid for the lower eyelid since that was considered cosmetic (3500 plus additional costs of 1100).

If you are balking at the $, consider CareCredit. You can finance your medical costs, and if paid in full within a one year or 18 month period there is no finance charge.

Good luck.

by Anonymousreply 2711/11/2013

Prices have risen. I had Muffy's hubby do my upper and lower blepharoplasty and it was only $6000.

by Anonymousreply 2811/11/2013

Day 13 after upper/lower blepharoplasty. Stitches out a few days ago, bruising almost gone, morning swelling. My eyes look great and I can see they will look even better in another week. So glad I did this.

I was advised to find a plastic surgeon who was also an ocular surgeon as well. Seems to guarantee great results. If you can afford it, find a great doctor, then do it.

by Anonymousreply 2911/21/2013

thanks for the update

by Anonymousreply 3011/21/2013

[quote] I kept a solution of water/rose water and cotton balls near my bed to address this upon waking.

r9 is clearly posting from a Faulkner novel.

by Anonymousreply 3111/21/2013

I just love reading about insurance fraud.

Do you also dine and dash?

Or how about shoplifting?

Grand theft auto?

by Anonymousreply 3211/21/2013

Is there scarring involved in this surgery?

by Anonymousreply 3301/04/2014

I certainly hope I never stoop to such measures, I thank my lucky stars daily that I have naturally wide awake, alert looking peepers.

by Anonymousreply 3401/04/2014

The trick is to go for a very slight, natural looking adjustment OP. Don't go overboard and have people making cruel, disrespectful comments about your lizard-like visage.

by Anonymousreply 3501/04/2014

Is this how Timberlake fucked up his eyes?

by Anonymousreply 3601/04/2014

From about the age of 20, I always looked tired. It didn't matter how much sleep or good lifestyle, it was a constant. I got a bleph for my lower lids due to the puffiness. Well worth it--if it's needed. You know if you need it if you always look tired!

by Anonymousreply 3701/04/2014

I feel really sorry for people who resort to plastic surgery to try and ward off the advancement and natural process of aging. You can only run so far and long OP, eventually you WILL look old on account you will be old. Spend that money on some therapy and get a better sense of your self esteem. I will pray for you.

by Anonymousreply 3801/04/2014

Does this procedure help eye hollows, say on a more permanent basis than a filler?

by Anonymousreply 3901/04/2014

R23, R27 here

My surgeon was conservative in his approach. He told me it would take 3 months until all healing is done with. Stiches out after 10 days, returned to work two weeks after surgery. Six weeks post surgery most of the swelling was gone. Up until then each morning my eyes were swollen, sometimes in different places, not symmetrical. I just iced them.

Two months now since upper and lower eyelid surgery. My eyes look great, I look well rested. The shape of the eye is very natural. At first a red line/scar was very noticeable at incision sites, upper eyelid crease and lower lash line. Now just a faint reddish line on upper eyelids which will continue to fade.

I am very happy I did this. I didn't do it to look young again, and I don't. I look refreshed and rested, vision is improved due to absence of drooping upper lids.

by Anonymousreply 4001/04/2014
Need more help? Click Here.