Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hulu Plus

Does anyone else have it? I just got a two week trial because it is on my Tivos, but it seems like there is not much content. I thought they had a lot of foreign television shows, but that does not seem to be the case. The only thing I saw that I would watch is "Strangers With Candy" - but of course I already have the dvd's.

Am I missing something here? Is there someone who likes the service and can guide me a little more with it?

TIA.

by Jimmcfreply 2509/04/2013

I enjoy it bc I don't subscribe to cable. So I can watch the weeks episodes of shows I like. They also carry entire seasons of certain shows. IF you already subscribe to cable with DVR I can't really see why you'd need it.

by Jimmcfreply 109/02/2013

I luv hulu. I watch my 16 and preg episodes

by Jimmcfreply 209/02/2013

Thank you

by Jimmcfreply 309/03/2013

I watch shows like Larry King, Jay Leno, SNL, and America's Next Top Model.

by Jimmcfreply 409/03/2013

They have hundreds of Criterion Collection films, Jimmy. They're the only widely available legal streaming option with content worth watching.

by Jimmcfreply 509/03/2013

[quote]They're the only widely available legal streaming option with content worth watching.

This is a idiotic statement

by Jimmcfreply 609/03/2013

I have it because I don't really watch much TV. There are TONS of old, cheesy horror movies (my favorites) and other weird shit on there. So I get a kick out of it and it keeps me fairly entertained the times I *do* watch TV.

The only thing I really miss is ESPN. Hate on me, but it's true. But since I can stream that over the interwebs I should be ok.

by Jimmcfreply 709/03/2013

r6, the only decent films on Amazon you have to pay extra to rent or buy on top of the $80 bucks a year for their limited streaming content and redundant free shipping and Netflix has six or seven good movies left in their catalog -- unless you think D-List straight to streaming horror movies are quality cinema. So, yeah, Hulu+ which carries hundreds of Criterion Collection films is the only widely available legal streaming option with quality content. Mubi and Fandor, also, have good libraries but they are not widely available and Facets is only DVD/Blu-ray/VHS by mail rental.

by Jimmcfreply 809/03/2013

I have Amazon, Netflix and Hulu Plus, and by far the least used of the services is Hulu Plus. They have a lot of older shows, stuff from overseas and anime series, though, so if you're into that, it's great.

by Jimmcfreply 909/03/2013

I guess if you only consider films sure. There is a ton of television content on Netflix and Amazon Prime.

The free shipping and being able to binge on Food Network shows whenever I want makes Amazon Prime worth it to me alone.

Personally, I know more people who have Netflix and Prime who don't really think Hulu+ is worth it. I have all three and I am pretty happy, but I am a young'en who has never and would never pay for cable.

by Jimmcfreply 1009/03/2013

You basically have to know what to search for. Their list of choices sucks, they only list about a dozen shows/movies of any category, but have thousands of titles. You just have to know which titles to search for. In other words, browsing titles is a waste of time.

by Jimmcfreply 1109/03/2013

"... Netflix has six or seven good movies left in their catalog -- unless you think D-List straight to streaming horror movies are quality cinema."

That's absurd. Netflix has quite a lot of good films available for streaming (I recently watched EIGHT MEN OUT, IMPROMPTU, THE DEEP BLUE SEA, I AM LOV), unless you think only films released under Criterion are good.

by Jimmcfreply 1209/03/2013

does Hulu + carry the current Breaking Bad episodes?

by Jimmcfreply 1309/03/2013

No, R13. I think only Netflix has that for free. Amazon Prime may have some of the earlier seasons though.

by Jimmcfreply 1409/03/2013

Hulu Plus doesn't have the Breaking Bad series, but they do have all of SNL, Jay Leno, I Love Lucy, ANTM Guys vs Girls, and every other late night show. Some TV series are only available through Hulu Plus, including Larry King.

by Jimmcfreply 1509/03/2013

It's nit bad for 7 bucks a month. I watch the new All My Children, SNL, an Australian show called The Librarians, and other stuff. I have it and Netflix and I'm thinking really hard about canceling cable.

by Jimmcfreply 1609/03/2013

I like old movies the type that TCM shows. Which service is better for me. thank you

by Jimmcfreply 1709/03/2013

r17, Hulu+ has much better quality films than Netflix. Netflix lost the Criterion Collection to Hulu and then lost their contract with Warner Archive and are replacing it all with...a Disney contract because The Little Mermaid and The 500 Blows obviously cater to the same demographic.

Hulu+ is much much easier to find films on, too. You just go to Movies -> Criterion and there they all are A-Z or in curated lists.

At the link below, see the complete list of Criterion films on Hulu. Hulu also a has a good chunk of non-Criterion movies but anything not in the collection is interrupted by ads so I tend not to bother. If you have a Roku, do look into Fandor and, if you have an iOS device and an Apple TV, check out Mubi.

People who pay $8 month to watch reality tv dreck on any service make me sad.

by Jimmcfreply 1809/04/2013

You're welcome Jimmcf.

by Jimmcfreply 1909/04/2013

Well at least we know Hulu+ is putting out money for marketing R18.

by Jimmcfreply 2009/04/2013

I watch Hulu- Free instead of having Cable. The only reason to buy Hulu Plus is the Criterion Collection in my opinion.

I watch Cable shows: Suits, Covert Affairs, Burn Notice, Graceland, Defiance, The Americans, The Bridge

During season I watched Scandal, Happy Endings, American Dad, Fringe, Hannibal, Law and Order, Nashville, Bones, The Following, Go On, Parks and Recreation, Once, Castle, Community

I also watch more than a few English series (and no they are not all better than American TV but there are some that are pretty good: Vera, In the Line of Duty, Run, Shameless, Spy, The Thick of It, Injustice).

All-in-all I feel like I still have Standard cable. When I really want to see something unavailable I go to Amazon and buy a season or rent a movie. I do miss Mad Men, Orphan Black, Justified, Game of Thrones, Enlightened, Veep, Arrested Development, House of Cards, Orange Is the New Black (I don't like Breaking Bad-- AT ALL).

by Jimmcfreply 2109/04/2013

The Real Value is when the tv season comes back. Hulu Plus is the dvr you never have to set. Missed Family guy? You can watch it next day on Hulu, Once upon a time? same thing. Most networks have their broadcast first run shows available next day on Hulu Plus. They plan to do original programming like Netflix as well (Orange is the new Black)...

by Jimmcfreply 2209/04/2013

Check out "The Only Way is Essex" on Hulu+. It is so cheesy—I don't know which came first it or "Jersey Shore" but it is a hoot. There are some peen shots of Kirk on the net—too bad he isn't on anymore. Who knew he was so big!

by Jimmcfreply 2309/04/2013

Hulu + is worth it, because it's cheaper than a DVR.

by Jimmcfreply 2409/04/2013

You don't have to pay for Hulu Plus to see most new episodes the day after they air. If you have a laptop, wifi and an HDMI cord you can hook it up to the tv and watch anything on Hulu or any other website.

by Jimmcfreply 2509/04/2013
Need more help? Click Here.