Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

It's China's abandoned cities, tasteful friends

Such beautiful buildings, unloved and unwanted.

by Anonymousreply 5509/06/2013

Interesting.

by Anonymousreply 109/02/2013

What if they built a new Paris and no one came?

by Anonymousreply 209/02/2013

I want to move there.

by Anonymousreply 309/02/2013

Fancy a little piece of England?

by Anonymousreply 409/02/2013

These homes are meant to be luxury homes priced as high as the center of any major city in the world. The Chinese are investing their wealth in real estate, but no one can afford to live in the homes. The crash will be ugly.

by Anonymousreply 609/02/2013

[quote]I want to move there.

But they're Made in China.

Would you feel safe?

by Anonymousreply 709/02/2013

They are building a Manhattan in China, too

by Anonymousreply 809/02/2013

they are importing ghost towns, too

by Anonymousreply 909/02/2013

They should try for a Detroit in China.

by Anonymousreply 1009/02/2013

Those are creepy. It looks like the world after a neutron bomb.

And how do they get to work? Or the grocery?

by Anonymousreply 1109/02/2013

They didn't care about that, R11. It looks like a scam for the companies that built them.

by Anonymousreply 1209/02/2013

Why are they empty?

by Anonymousreply 1309/02/2013

no one can afford to live in them

poor planning

scam

by Anonymousreply 1409/02/2013

"Why are they empty?"

They don't have lanais Rose.

by Anonymousreply 1509/02/2013

Real estate bubble just like we had.

by Anonymousreply 1609/03/2013

[quote]They should try for a Detroit in China.

Maybe they should get the real Detroit.

How hard is it to move a city?

by Anonymousreply 1709/03/2013

What is wrong with these people? What is the appeal of living in a massive Epcot Center?

Crony capitalism writ large.

by Anonymousreply 1809/03/2013

The head of those 'projects' is now known as the Chinese Ol' Dirty Bastard.

by Anonymousreply 1909/03/2013

Not necessarily stupid. That's how Texas was built. They built crap they knew they could never sell, sucking in loose banking funds from all over America. Then they went bust and left the feds to bail them out, but their businessmen picked up the distressed properties for nothing and used the now vacant infrastructure to lure companies from the northeast. All without spending a dime of their own money.

by Anonymousreply 2009/03/2013

This isn't remotely like Texas, or Florida or even Las Vegas. This is epic and unprecedented in the history of the world, and only the most extreme and arcane economic tricks are keeping the whole thing from exploding like 1000 H-bombs at any time.

by Anonymousreply 2109/03/2013

China is so fucking odd.

by Anonymousreply 2209/03/2013

It's the oddest kind of crony capitalism I've ever seen. In the west, I can see some pork-barrel politician giving an ally government funds to build boondoggles like this, knowing full well they'd never be used.

But in the west, wouldn't the crooks just keep the money and not bother to build the cities?

by Anonymousreply 2309/03/2013

it is even creepier if it is a place usually packed with people, like a shopping mall or a them park.

by Anonymousreply 2409/03/2013

R21, I couldn't agree more. However, we should pray that the pins and cell tape that they are using to keep the economy from collapsing, don't give out. Because when they do, we are all going to know what real suffering is.

The 2007/2008 crisis and the subsequent recession will be a joke compared to what we are all going to live through if China falls. We are all going to crash right back into the Paleolithic with no money, no energy left and decaying massive infrastructures.

The future won't be bright for the vast majority of us, sadly.

by Anonymousreply 2509/03/2013

A few months ago, 60 Minutes did a report on these bult-then not occupied--Chinese cities. It was fascinating and then terribly stunning that the Chinese government and banks would build all these buildings and communities as far as the eye could see and then have them remain unihabited.

The Chinese people don't seem to have the money to move in. Plus, if they did, the pollution would be ovewhelmingly worse to have all the empty freeways (they were built too) jammed with cars.

by Anonymousreply 2609/03/2013

Asians are so manic-depressive. Why do they always overreact to things?

by Anonymousreply 2709/03/2013

I'm going to China the first two weeks of november 2013. I never had much of a desire to go there, but my company is paying so I'm sort of looking forward to seeing this third world country and all the shiny buildings they've built that no one can afford.

China is a very odd and controlling place.

by Anonymousreply 2809/03/2013

Country on fire!

by Anonymousreply 2909/03/2013

Not third world anymore R28. Cept out in the boonies.

by Anonymousreply 3009/03/2013

Wow, how does this even happen on this scale? Entire cities? During the building of the first high-rise they had to know they didn't have any takers. Why did they keep on building when no one was moving in? Vegas is in the middle of no-where too, but at least it grew over time in response to demand.... not all at once when there was no indication that anyone would even visit let alone stay.

by Anonymousreply 3109/03/2013

If China falls won't there be more energy for the rest of us, demand will be way down, so prices (at least energy) will fall? Remember when Japan was buying all of our super expensive golf courses and building like crazy both here and Japan, then they took a huge fall? The world didn't end then.

by Anonymousreply 3209/03/2013

It happens because the system is driven by corruption, not by market realities. Someone with connections to the government or a government-controlled "bank" spends billions of other people's money, and Uncle Cho gets the construction contract.

by Anonymousreply 3309/03/2013

R33 is correct.

by Anonymousreply 3409/03/2013

[quote] Because when they do, we are all going to know what real suffering is.

Not really. So what if the bloated banks fail? The gov will bail them out - AGAIN. And the good ole boys will keep raking in their millions in bonuses because nobody's going to chop their damned heads off like should be done.

So don't you worry about it, r26. And, if by some bizarre chance the whole shithouse goes up then good. I, for one, will be able to survive so I'm not particularly concerned.

by Anonymousreply 3509/03/2013

I wouldn't mind retiring there, how cheap are those villas?

by Anonymousreply 3609/03/2013

Buy gold NOW while it is down to $1,350/ounce, terrific bargain!

by Anonymousreply 3709/03/2013

The problem is that China has bought a lot of our bonds. If they run into a crash and decide to dump those bonds, we'll be in the shit. Or they could threaten and bend the US to their will.

by Anonymousreply 3809/03/2013

[quote]Wow, how does this even happen on this scale? Entire cities? During the building of the first high-rise they had to know they didn't have any takers. Why did they keep on building when no one was moving in? Vegas is in the middle of no-where too, but at least it grew over time in response to demand.... not all at once when there was no indication that anyone would even visit let alone stay.

Actually, they very well may be completely sold. The Chinese are obsessed with real estate as an investment. It's a house of cards.

by Anonymousreply 3909/03/2013

No, they are EMPTY.

They are obsessed with real estate outside of China.

by Anonymousreply 4009/03/2013

Maybe they're planning to sell all those empty cities to the Japanese?

If all the rumors about Fukushima are true, the Japanese might want to move en masse, and upwind.

by Anonymousreply 4109/03/2013

There was no planning involved in that. Just some planning to get money for building that.

The Japanese and Chinese hate each other, so I doubt they would move en masse there.

by Anonymousreply 4209/03/2013

Yes, they are empty, but they are sold to people who don't live in them. The Chinese government had to put a limit on how many apartments a person could buy because there was such a frenzy.

by Anonymousreply 4309/04/2013

I keep reading that no one could afford them. They appear to be abandoned. Like the Chinese built city in Africa.

by Anonymousreply 4409/04/2013

[quote If all the rumors about Fukushima are true]

What are the rumours?

by Anonymousreply 4509/04/2013

Why don't they move all those people who are living in 40 sf cubes in Hong Kong to these abandoned cities?

I wonder what the infrastructure in these ghost towns is like. Do they have buses, trains, highways, hospitals, schools, police and fire depts?

by Anonymousreply 4609/04/2013

no, they do not, R46

by Anonymousreply 4709/04/2013

[quote] What is wrong with these people? What is the appeal of living in a massive Epcot Center?

China is the biggest copycat in the world.

They demonize the US, but they secretly LOVE the US and everything about Americana.

Oh, how they try and try, but they will never be able to replicate our society because they just don't have it in them.

It's like a robot trying to be human. It's impossible.

Americans are distinct and unique, and all the money in the world can't create America in China.

That's what makes us so special. ;o)

by Anonymousreply 4809/04/2013

The simple answer is that the Chinese who can actually afford to live in those places, are buying property in.... THE US!

Rich Chinese don't want to live in China. They want to live in New York and LA.

Ironic, no?

by Anonymousreply 4909/04/2013

[quote]Rich Chinese don't want to live in China. They want to live in New York and LA.

A few, but mostly they want to live in Toronto, Vancouver and Melbourne.

by Anonymousreply 5009/04/2013

I wonder is their NYC has a Chinatown?

by Anonymousreply 5109/04/2013

Never give a Chinaman too much money.

by Anonymousreply 5209/04/2013

I'll have a Chicago, please.

by Anonymousreply 5309/04/2013

by Anonymousreply 5409/04/2013

Those deserted high-rise cities are an arsonists wet dream. It would be more fun to set fire to them than to any house I've burned before in my life.

by Anonymousreply 5509/06/2013
Need more help? Click Here.