Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

2014 Oscar Predictions: Best Actor

Look Like Very Strong Contenders (On Paper):

1. Leonardo DiCaprio (The Wolf of Wall Street)

2. Matthew McConaughey (The Dallas Buyers Club)

3. Tom Hanks (Captain Phillips)

The Safest Bets From What We've Seen

4. Chiwetel Ejiofer (Twelve Years a Slave)

5. Robert Redford (All Is Lost)

6. Oscar Isaac (Inside Llewyn Davis)

7. Forest Whitaker (The Butler)

8. Michael B. Jordan (Fruitvale Station)

9. Bruce Dern (Nebraska)

10. Hugh Jackman (Prisoners)

Could Easily Be Major Contenders:

11. Steve Carell (Foxcatcher) 12. Christian Bale (American Hustle)

13. Idris Elba (Mandela: Long Walk To Freedom)

14. Benedict Cumberbatch (The Fifth Estate)

15. Joaquin Phoenix (Her)

16. Michael Fassbender (The Counselor)

17. Ralph Fiennes (The Invisible Woman)

18. Ben Stiller (The Secret Life of Walter Mitty)

19. Colin Firth (The Railway Man)

20. Christian Bale (Out of the Furnace)

by Anonymousreply 13508/17/2014

*Modestly and shyly stands there to be seen, but doesn't say anything nor looks like he is expecting something*

by Anonymousreply 109/02/2013

Also, I understand that right now Leo is among the favorites because they owe him for last year, and then some, but I doubt he will make the final cut of 5 contenders.

And Tom Hanks ? He is a good lad and his movies seem good, but it is not his year. I doubt he is nominated as a lead actor.

by Anonymousreply 209/02/2013

Of that list:

Oscar Isaac Matthew McConaughey Chiwetel Ejiofer

seem like the only sure bets. I would say they are at the front of the pack by quite a good margin.

The rest are just fillers.

Leonardo does seem like a sentimental favorite, and he did announce he was taking time off earlier in the year, so I think AMPAS will fall all over herself to nominate him. He has brought Hollywood a lot of money and is well liked.

I think the last spot is what it's being decided from now to January.

Casey Affleck Michael B. Jordan Robert Redford

Are the only realistic contenders I can think of, and imo Robert Redford will be favored over the other two. However both Casey and Michael give top five performances. It's just too bad we can't have 7 nominees, because this year was a very strong year for quality films. Probably one of the best in some time.

The Leading actress category seems more up in the air

by Anonymousreply 309/02/2013

Forest Whitaker will be in there. He won't win but he'll be nominated to placate people.

by Anonymousreply 409/02/2013

Tom Hanks is really going to star in a movie about Princess Anne's ex-husband???

by Anonymousreply 509/02/2013

Thanks for the warning, OP...

by Anonymousreply 609/02/2013

Honey, you listed every guy in every movie released this year with the exception of the Robot in "Pacific Rim" and the ghost in "The Conjuring".

by Anonymousreply 709/02/2013

Not even close, R7.

by Anonymousreply 809/02/2013

Well R7, it has been a great year for movies. I can think of at least 40 films that are award worthy.

by Anonymousreply 909/02/2013

If Christian Bale is nominated, it will be for Out of the Furnace and not American Hustle. Woody Harrelson is also a contender for Supporting for that movie. This list is BS. Leo's Wolf of Wall Street looks like a typical DiCaprio Oscar vehicle, aka a desperate, hot mess.

by Anonymousreply 1009/02/2013

R4 Fuck off. He was great in The Butler.

I would love it if him, Jordan and the 12 years guy were all nominated. Add Terrence Howard to the list too. Black cinema is having a phenomenal year.

by Anonymousreply 1109/02/2013

"because this year was a very strong year for quality films"

What do you mean WAS.......none of these films have opened yet.

A poor box office performance for any of these film performances damns them to oblivion.

by Anonymousreply 1209/02/2013

Everything at r10. American Hustle looks to be a mess. Any other year it might have garnered a couple of noms but this is a competitive year. Bale looked good in the early trailer for Furnace as did Harrelson; if box office and reviews are good they could contend.

Will wait to hear word on Wolf of WS before opining. Prisoners with Gyllenhaal and Jackman got a strong boost at Telluride over the weekend.

by Anonymousreply 1309/02/2013

I would LOVE to see Idris Elba get an Oscar nomination.

by Anonymousreply 1409/02/2013

I don't follow the male races.

by Anonymousreply 1509/02/2013

R12 Butler was a hit and Fruitvale station opened to rave reviews. 12 Days is already getting Best picture buzz even though it hasn't opened yet. ALL stand a good chance of multiple nominations.

It would be something if there were more black acting nominees than white ones this year. About time.

by Anonymousreply 1609/02/2013

What about the new Ron Howard F1 racing movie? It's getting decent early reviews espcially the actor who plays Nicki Lauda.

The UK Independent actually singled out Thor Hemsworth, said he plays James Hunt "with tremendous brio".

by Anonymousreply 1709/02/2013

Hugh Jackman seems to be getting good reviews for Prisoner

by Anonymousreply 1809/02/2013

Why are the Oscars such a big gay deal? "Entertainment Weekly" goes apeshit for months in advance, and this speculation...what's so interesting?

by Anonymousreply 1909/03/2013

you post that every year r19

find another thread if you aren't interested

by Anonymousreply 2009/03/2013

Do NOT count Redford out. Hollywood loves a come back kid and Redford hasn't had an acting nomination since 1973 in "The Sting". Plus he is winning raves for what is almost a one man show.

by Anonymousreply 2109/03/2013

No love for "Mud" or Matthew McConaughey's role in that movie?

by Anonymousreply 2209/03/2013

I think people are predicting a Mcconaghey nom for the Dallas buyers film

by Anonymousreply 2309/03/2013

I think Redford and Forrest Whittaker will definitely get nominations for Best Actor. But those two are my only "definites."

One thing I do believe, some actors on that list might get bumped down to an Independent Spirit nomination or a Golden Globe nomination, but may get passed over at Oscar time.

I think, from the trailer, Leo's Wolf of Wall Street looks a lot like a modern day Gatsby. Not the exact story line, but the decadence and the way he plays the character. Maybe he ramped up the hedonism factor, but it looked pretty tedious to me, an oft told tale. Gordon Gekko on steroids.

From the buzz out of Telluride, Hugh Jackman may be a serious contender for a best actor nomination. Don't know enough about the two movies Christian Bale has coming out to say anything there.

It's pretty clear to me, there will obviously be more than five strong contenders for Best Actor, so the campaigning and the political maneuvering is going to be important. Which 'horses' is Harvey backing?

by Anonymousreply 2409/03/2013

I'd look for Bruce Dern, Michael B. Jordan and Oscar Isaac to be Indie nominees. Not Oscar contenders. This year it will get very political. Look how long it took John Hawkes to "break through" even though he's been around for a while.

by Anonymousreply 2509/03/2013

Most of these haven't been released yet. Give it a rest. Stop trying to drive page views to Indie Wire.

by Anonymousreply 2609/03/2013

Where's Clooney's name for Gravity? The Academy voters love George.

I really think Robert Redford is such a huge, important Film person he should be in a separate category. He deserves some incredible award. In a class by himself.

His contribution to American culture by founding and building Sundance is just amazing. You can't even begin to measure his impact. I know he's already received those kinds of awards, but it seems like they need to do more for him.

by Anonymousreply 2709/03/2013

[quote]Where's Clooney's name for Gravity? The Academy voters love George.

Clooney will be in Supporting.

by Anonymousreply 2809/03/2013

Hey! We can't over look Gatsby. Speaking of supporting, you k now Tobey Maguire will get a nom for his Nick to Leo's Gatsby.

by Anonymousreply 2909/03/2013

[quote]... there will obviously be more than five strong contenders for Best Actor, so the campaigning and the political maneuvering is going to be important. Which 'horses' is Harvey backing?

Weinstein is behind The Butler and Fruitvale Station. They will also back the upcoming August: Osage County, Grace of Monaco, Snowpiercer, and the Mandela movie w/Idris Elba.

Think I read that Harvey will also handle international distribution for DOR's American Hustle, but could be misinformed there.

by Anonymousreply 3009/03/2013

Idris Elba, Forest Whitaker, Di Crappio, Redford, Chiwetel Ejiofer

by Anonymousreply 3109/03/2013

Is Liza considered lead or supporting? From what I understand, both "Hush Puppy" and "Dr. Tansy" are supporting roles.

by Anonymousreply 3209/03/2013

Whitaker (Christ)

Dern

Redford

DiCaprio (but the movie may surprise us)

Someone else - probably Chiwetelu Umeadi "Chiwetel" Ejiofor. He's an OBE, after all.

But, O Jesus, not Whitaker - that phony, one-note creep in that inauthentic, gratuitous proud piece of crap.

by Anonymousreply 3309/03/2013

Give it to DiCaprio, for Pete's sake. He's more than paid his dues.

We certainly don't want him turning into a male version of Glenn!

by Anonymousreply 3409/03/2013

Once again I have to admit to not truly grasping the all-powerful influence Harvey Weinstein supposedly has in determining Oscar winners. Yes, yes I realize the enormous amount of money he puts into advertising and marketing on every conceivable platform, his unmatched ability to raise the award profile for his films and actors and his legendary reputation for heavy handed tactics to garner the gold. But, am I missing something, or does he have muscled goons standing over every Academy member with a loaded gun as they fill out their Oscar ballots? Or does he just personally go himself to every home and office to witness the act of voting to make sure it's done his way? Other than those scenarios, I don't understand how his influence matters all that much. In the end, everyone is voting privately, Harvey Weinstein be damned. Hollywood isn't Communist Russia for gods sake, although it wanted to be in the 1950s, but that's another story.

by Anonymousreply 3509/03/2013

So true - so many haven't been released yet and who knows whether they end up being as good as predicted.

Also true - The Butler HAS been seen and for every person that thinks it's great and this one and that one will be nominated, I can tell you just as many of us that have seen it basically went "Huh? This got raves?! " It's a great story and interesting life to put on the screen but this Lee Daniels was NOT the right one to do it. Bad directing choices throughout; nothing really outstanding about any of the performances and embarrassing to watch those "stars" popping up as Presidents and First ladies --totally takes you out of the story every time one appears.

by Anonymousreply 3609/03/2013

Enough with DiCaprio and Clooney. I feel like they're nominated every fucking year. And DiCaprio is not due an Oscar.

And it will be either Dern OR Redford. The academy will not risk nominating two old time stars in the Best Actor category. Hopefully Dern, since Redford has always been overrated. He has his two Oscars anyway.

by Anonymousreply 3709/03/2013

DiCaprio hasn't been nominated since 2006.

by Anonymousreply 3809/03/2013

Harvey allegedly pays for votes. And pays handsomely. And his bartering chips aren't always cash, he peddles influence, connections and future projects and deals.

by Anonymousreply 3909/03/2013

Yes R39, but how does Harvey know how these people actually voted in the end!? They can do anything they please and still tell Harvey they voted the party line and collect the cash or the part or whatever he is offering!! It makes no sense!

by Anonymousreply 4009/03/2013

[quote]I think people are predicting a Mcconaghey nom for the Dallas buyers film

Never thought I'd see the day when the words Matthew McConaughey and Oscar nomination would be uttered in the same sentence. But good for him. If he deserves it, he deserves it.

by Anonymousreply 4109/03/2013

LOL! Maybe Harvey goes to the Old Age Home for Actors and has "voting parties" and then he collects the ballots and "helps" people vote. Daley did it in Chicago, all dem years back.

by Anonymousreply 4209/03/2013

Joking aside, there's this obvious clique and it seems like they get nominated just because they made a movie. So you look at Clooney, Pitt, De Caprio, and even Damon if he made a movie this year, and those seem like automatics.

Then you get Harvey literally throwing his weight around, and that's it. Usually there's only one spot truly open to anyone who can come up with the nominating votes. And even if the Academy brings younger voting members in, they eventually get coopted by their own ambitions.

by Anonymousreply 4309/03/2013

That's actually not too far off the mark r42. Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 4409/03/2013

Two words describe the unbridled power of Weinstein over the Oscars:

Gwyneth Paltrow

by Anonymousreply 4509/03/2013

Why do they still put Leo on these lists. The guy can't act, same goes for Hanks.

by Anonymousreply 4609/03/2013

What was the name of that homely man who played Albert Nobbs last year? Does he not have a film this year?

by Anonymousreply 4709/03/2013

I think Idris Elba has a real shot at a nomination, personally.

by Anonymousreply 4809/03/2013

I love Idris, and he may well "deserve" a nomination. Maybe he'll pull off a GG or an Indie nomination, but not enough clout for an AMPAS nom.

Don't think he has the right people to make the investment and the deal-making it would take for a nomination. The field is too crowded.

by Anonymousreply 4909/04/2013

"Redford hasn't had an acting nomination since 1973 in "The Sting"

Redford had ONLY one acting nom. And that was only because he was becoming a mega star in 1973. Under no other circumstances would Redford have ever been nominated for The Sting.

by Anonymousreply 5009/04/2013

Plus Redford was also in "The Way We Were" in 1973 so he had two strong box office movies.

by Anonymousreply 5109/04/2013

R33, why is Whitaker a "creep?"

by Anonymousreply 5209/04/2013

[quote]Don't think he has the right people to make the investment and the deal-making it would take for a nomination. The field is too crowded.

You may well be right. I do believe Idris Elba is on his way to becoming an A-lister, though, so eventually he'll get his turn.

by Anonymousreply 5309/04/2013

James Deen, The Canyons

by Anonymousreply 5409/06/2013

Mark my words! Michael B. Jordan will deservedly get a nomination for Fruitvale Station and he will deservedly be considered a front runner.

by Anonymousreply 5509/06/2013

Leo Di Crappio can't act, that's true, but Hollywood seems to feel he's "paid his dues" and they will undoubtedly Oscar him sooner than later.

by Anonymousreply 5609/06/2013

Michael Jordan was good in Fruitvale Station, but it wasn't an Oscar kind of role. Melonie Diaz and Octavia Spencer had the Oscar-bait roles in that movie.

by Anonymousreply 5709/06/2013

Michael B. Jordan is too young. Maybe a nomination, but no award. They never (accept for Adrian Brody) give it to men under 30.

by Anonymousreply 5809/06/2013

Benedict Cumonme getting rave reviews and Oscar buzz now that Fifth Estate has premiered at Toronto.

by Anonymousreply 5909/06/2013

The Fifth Estate is getting mixed reviews.

Variety didn't like it.

by Anonymousreply 6009/06/2013

I'm pretty sure this one is Michael B. Jordan's to lose.

by Anonymousreply 6109/06/2013

Robert Redford's to lose

by Anonymousreply 6209/06/2013

Michael B Jordan isn't winning an Oscar over Chiwetel Ejiofor or even Bruce Dern.

I don't think he will even be nominated.

by Anonymousreply 6309/06/2013

[quote] What was the name of that homely man who played Albert Nobbs last year? Does he not have a film this year?

Oh, Mer-Mer, I see you're playing a bitchy old alcoholic whose family hates her.

What a daring move to go all autobiographical for this one, dear!

As quirky as the kitchen curtain you'll undoubtedly make into a dress for the red carpet.

by Anonymousreply 6409/06/2013

Wishful thinking much r63? He will at least get a nomination whether you like it or not. Michael B. Jordan received rave reviews unlike any other actor this year, not just from critics but from other actors/Academy members as well.

What r61 said. Deal with it!

by Anonymousreply 6509/06/2013

A lot of the contenders' films haven't been released to the public and reviewed, R65.

It doesn't really matter. Almost everything's been shown privately and R62 is correct. It's Redford's to lose. Regardless of who the other nominees are, I'll be voting for him and so will a lot of other people.

by Anonymousreply 6609/06/2013

I don't think Cumberbatch will get a Best Actor nom for "Fifth Estate" but I wouldn't be all that surprised if he got a Best Supporting Actor for playing the motion-capture dragon in the upcoming "Hobbit" movie.

by Anonymousreply 6709/06/2013

Hugh Jackman, Forrest Whitaker, Robert Redford. Bank it. You can name the other two but those three will definitely be nominated. Some of the others we've mentioned are candidates for an Indie award, but not Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 6809/06/2013

[quote] Michael B. Jordan received rave reviews unlike any other actor this year, not just from critics but from other actors/Academy members as well.

Academy members write reviews?

by Anonymousreply 6909/06/2013

Chiwetel Ejiofor got a standing ovation at Toronto. He's a shoo-in for a nom, and the only person who really has a chance of taking it away from Redford.

EJIOFOR REDFORD WHITAKER

Bank on those.

Add DERN and DI CAPRIO and JACKMAN and ELBA as possibles.

MICHAEL B JORDAN is more fuckable than any of them, but he will probably have to settle for a GG nomination - and quite possibly FS will be nominated for Best Ensemble at the SAGS.

by Anonymousreply 7009/06/2013

I don't think Whitiker is a sure thing. He's on TV now which will hurt. Plus most films that come out pre-October are forgotten by Oscar time. (even pre-December releases are a distant memory.)

by Anonymousreply 7109/06/2013

Uh, ever heard of The Help and its August release, r71? Or Midnight in Paris and its June release?

by Anonymousreply 7209/06/2013

yes r72 I knew someone would say that and yes Silence of the Lambs won Best Picture but do the math. What is that like 2% that come out pre October.

by Anonymousreply 7309/06/2013

Agree with R70. At the moment, it's Ejiofor, Redford and Whitaker for Best actor.

It's been discussed here recently that it seems as if DiCaprio just isn't popular with Ampas members. Not sure why that is, he just keeps getting passed over. If Wolf of WS isn't a big critical hit with accompanying good bo I don't think Leo's in.

by Anonymousreply 7409/06/2013

[quote]It's been discussed here recently that it seems as if DiCaprio just isn't popular with Ampas members. Not sure why that is, he just keeps getting passed over.

huh? he has three nominations and he's not even 40. How is that passed over?

by Anonymousreply 7509/06/2013

Considering the large body of work he's had and the major bo grosses, he's been passed over. His first nom was 20 years ago, and the last two were in '04 and '06 respectively, nearly a decade ago. And he's never won - I'd say he might feel a bit overlooked.

Like I said, if WOWS does well and is well-received he has a shot, but this is shaping up to be a competitive year for his category.

by Anonymousreply 7609/06/2013

compared to his peers Leo is doing fine.

Damon-2 noms

Affleck- zero acting noms

Gyllenhaal- one nom

McBongo, McGuire-zero

even the older Depp only has 3.

by Anonymousreply 7709/06/2013

I don't consider Matt McC, Gyllenhaal or Affleck (please) as Leo's acting peers though. Matt McC only recently re-branded himself as a real leading man, remember he was doing romcoms for years with Kate Hudson while Leo was opposite Day-Lewis in front of Scorsese....Damon's an acting peer but I don't see him as a leading man the way I do LD in terms of opening movies and getting them funded/made.

Depp is the best comparison. Also somewhat overlooked.

by Anonymousreply 7809/06/2013

[quote] leading man the way I do LD in terms of opening movies and getting them funded/made.

those types rarely get nominations

Redford-1 Harrison Ford-1

by Anonymousreply 7909/07/2013

That's my point r79 etc - the Academy doesn't tend to reward those types of actors, takes them somewhat for granted imo. My thinking is they've begun to see Leo that way in recent years. Ditto Depp.

It's a world where Adrien Brody has an Oscar but not LD. Jaime Foxx got his before Leo. You have to wonder how Ampas members think sometimes.

by Anonymousreply 8009/07/2013

[quote]don't consider Matt McC, Gyllenhaal or Affleck (please) as Leo's acting peers though

True. Leo's acting peers would be Adam Sandler, Alex Pettyfer, Theresa Russell, Bozo the Clown ...

by Anonymousreply 8109/07/2013

Leonardo Di Caprio CAN'T ACT! Wh all this moaning about him not having an Oscar?

He hasn't deserved one for anything he's done.

by Anonymousreply 8209/07/2013

r82 has a point. Granted, Leo has some good performances, when he's not being miscast by Scorsese, but he's never really done anything worthy of an actual Oscar win.

by Anonymousreply 8309/07/2013

[quote]It's a world where Adrien Brody has an Oscar but not LD. Jaime Foxx got his before Leo. You have to wonder how Ampas members think sometimes.

At the end of the day though, Leo has a better career than Jamie and Adrien put together. Oscar isn't everything.

by Anonymousreply 8409/07/2013

I think we can narrow it down to:

1. Matthew McConaughey (The Dallas Buyers Club)

2. Leonardo DiCaprio (The Wolf of Wall Street)

3. Benedict Cumberbatch (The Fifth Estate)

4. Michael Fassbender (The Counselor)

5. Chiwetel Ejiofer (Twelve Years a Slave) or Michael B. Jordan (Fruitvale Station)

And this is going to be McBongo's for the win.

Perhaps Tom Hanks (Captain Phillips), Forest Whitaker (The Butler) might get nominated.

And maybe, maybe Steve Carell, Ben Stiller or Christian Bale.

It's going to be McMxgx for sure.

by Anonymousreply 8509/07/2013

Obviously R85 votes with his dick.

No Leonardo DiCaprio, No Benedict Cumberbatch Fassbender will be in supporting

The Nominees For Best Actor In A Leading Role are....

Bruce Dern (Nebraska)

Chiwetel Ejiofer (Twelve Years a Slave)

Matthew McConaughey (The Dallas Buyers Club)

Robert Redford (All Is Lost)

Forest Whitaker (Lee Daniel's The Butler)

by Anonymousreply 8609/07/2013

It will be a joke if McConaughey is nominated. The guy has always been a set of abs with limited range. A slightly better Channing Tatum. If he turns in a competent performance, it's a miracle, but it's not a cause for a nomination.

And there will be no Dern AND Redford. Only one legend per leading category.

by Anonymousreply 8709/07/2013

"Mud" starring Matthew McConaughey was one of the best-reviewed movies of 2013. Is it going to be ignored by the Academy?

by Anonymousreply 8809/07/2013

Hey R87, have you seen 'The Dallas Buyers Club'? NO you haven't.

by Anonymousreply 8909/07/2013

"Leonardo Di Caprio CAN'T ACT! Wh all this moaning about him not having an Oscar?"

In today's world, winning an Oscar seems to be an entitlement. The general public assumes that every popular actor in films is going to get one, or should get one. It didn't used to be like that, and it shouldn't be now.

Neither Alfred Hitchcock nor Cary Grant got an Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 9009/07/2013

Nor Garbo, Dietrich or Angela Lansbury

by Anonymousreply 9109/07/2013

ben stiller.

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHA!

by Anonymousreply 9209/07/2013

So Fassbender is a lock for supporting actor then? Haven't heard much buzz on anyone else...

by Anonymousreply 9309/07/2013

Redford Whittaker The guy in "Twelve Years a Slave"

McBongo? Maybe. Hollywood loves it when an actor plays sick. Leo? Maybe. It's Scorcese, after all. Clooney? Mmmm...maybe. Frankly I think it will come down to a toss up between Redford and Whittaker.

by Anonymousreply 9409/07/2013

Peter O'Toole and Richard Burton never got statues either, despite being nominated something like 15 times between the two.

Don't laugh at Stiller; Walter Mitty has received very solid advance buzz.

Fassbender likely for supporting since Ejiofer will be submitted for lead. I've always liked Whitaker and was happy when he won for LKOS, but I don't think The Butler is the performance the Academy will love so much they'll give him a 2nd one.

by Anonymousreply 9509/07/2013

Redford

Ejiefor

Dern

have had the strongest pre-release buzz so far. Whittaker has not had much buzz (if another black actor is nominated, it will much more likely be Michael B. Jordan). I think we still have to wait for the other movies to see who else gets nominated.

by Anonymousreply 9609/07/2013

It's interesting - and very telling - how no one yet has managed to truly explain exactly how Harvey Weinstein wields influence that guarantees an Oscar win.

by Anonymousreply 9709/07/2013

Count me as another rooting in general for DiCaprio. It's not that I think he should absoloutly win. It's that I think he has been deprived of nominations. He had three in 20 years. He should have had more.

In the year he was the incarnation of Gatsby, the Academy will make sure to nominate the previous Gatsby : Robert Redford. Besides Robert Redford doesn't have enemies, is repsonsible for Sundance festival, has done some movies, etc.

So far, I think the nominies will be :

- Redford - Ejiefor - Dern - Maybe Clooney (because he is very powerful and only if his movie Monument Men is very successful. Nothing to do with his performance).

That leaves one last slot that Whitaker,Leo, McCaughnohey and Carrell will fight beak and claws for.

by Anonymousreply 9809/07/2013

I disagree r87! That would’ve been true maybe 10 or so years ago but in the last few years, Matthew has really step up his game and getting better with age. He was excellent in MUD and even though The Paperboy was a downright depressing, disturbing, and just downright awful film, he was very good in that as well; playing a very disturbing role. From what I could see in The Dallas Buyers Club trailer, he looks phenomenal. You’re stuck in the past.

by Anonymousreply 9909/07/2013

Idris Elba in the Mandela biopic.

DiCaprio isn't owed a damn thing. He sucks.

by Anonymousreply 10009/07/2013

Nobody is owed anything, R100.

That said, DiCaprio doesn't suck.

We don't know what will happen in the Oscar race, maybe 5 men will be nominated before him, and justly so. Maybe he will be among the 5 nominies, and justly so. But whatever happens, he is a good actor.

by Anonymousreply 10109/07/2013

He's not a good actor, actually.

by Anonymousreply 10209/07/2013

Benedict Cumberbatch is definitely the first casualty. The fifth State is getting mixed reviews, and to my bitter surprise Hugh Jackman is getting raves for "Prisoners" (I don't think I could handle a nomination. Mary!)

Daniel Radcliffe was really good in Kill Your darlings. It's almost sad to see that noone takes him seriously. lol It's a shame because he was really good as Allen Ginsberg.

I don't know what to say about Tom Hanks...

There are three mammoth performances this year:

1)Matthew McConaughey - The Dallas Buyers Club

2)Bruce Dern - Nebraska

3)Chiwetel Ejiofer - Twelve Years a Slave

but if someone where to pull an upset it would be (no doubt) Robert Redford. The eternal pretty boy and creator of one of the most important festivals in the world, Sundance. Make no mistake, his festival has given many unknown directors their first platform, and people don't forget something of that magnitude. There's a lot of goodwill towards him....and I mean A LOT. I can see AMPAS rewarding him with an Oscar.

The fifth spot is a bloodbath though! It's been a phenomenal year for male actors. But IMO these three performances are next in line:

Michael B. Jordan- Fruitvale Station

(again) Matthew McConaughey- Mud

Oscar Issac - Inside Llewyn Davis

Then there's all these other performances either with advanced buzz or raves:

Forest Whitaker- The Butler

Idris Elba- Mandela

Hugh Jackman - Prisoners

Leonardo Dicaprio- TWWS

Tom Hardy- Locke

If Tom Hanks gets nominated, it will be for "Saving Mr. Banks" not captain Phillips.

However there are tons of male performances that could garner buzz between now and AFI that could take that fifth spor

by Anonymousreply 10309/08/2013

McConaughey came onto the scene with great promise which he didn't live up to, until now. With "Magic Mike", "Mud" and now "The Dallas Buyers Club" he has become that respected actor.

First review of "The Dallas Buyers Club", watch Leto get a possible nomination too.

[quote]if someone where to pull an upset it would be (no doubt) Robert Redford

Doesn't seem to be an upset. He has pulled off a one man show on film.

by Anonymousreply 10409/08/2013

Don't forget The Lincoln Lawyer, though he really turned a corner late last year with "Killer Joe." IMO that was the performance of 2012 and his omission from the best actor category was a gigantic snuff.

Can someone make a thread about Supporting actor? The pool of actors is just as diverse as best actor.

Leto (The Dallas Buyers Club) Franco (Springbreakers) Gyllenhaal (Prisoners) Fassbender (12 Years a Slave)

The people from Wold of Wall Street and The Monuments Men.

bunch of indie films could make their mark in this category.

by Anonymousreply 10509/08/2013

[quote] Franco (Springbreakers)

You're joking right? Besides, after embarrassing The Academy with his hosting duties, I doubt he'll be nominated for a very long time.

by Anonymousreply 10609/08/2013

And this won't help. Ask Margret Avery.

by Anonymousreply 10709/08/2013

Best Supporting Actor

Michael Fassbender (Twelve Years a Slave)

Jared Leto (The Dallas Buyers Club)

George Clooney (Gravity)

possible

Harrison Ford (42)

Jake Gyllenhaal (Prisoners)

by Anonymousreply 10809/08/2013

So far Matthew McConaughey and Chiwetel Ejiofer are the only locks. I think Forrest Whittaker will easily join them leaving 2 open slots which will probably go to Redford and Bruce Dern.

Supporting: Jared Leto's a lock. Maybe Fassbender. They may campaign McConaughey in supporting for Mud in which case he would probably be a lock too. The kid who played the lead in Mud just won an acting award at the Venice Film Festival.

by Anonymousreply 10909/08/2013

It's still early, but what about Steve Carell?

I'm not a fan. Not at all. But I respect Bennett Miller as a director.

If there is a Best Supporting Actor thread for 2014, I would post suggestions there too.

by Anonymousreply 11009/08/2013

Best Supporting Actor thread:

by Anonymousreply 11109/08/2013

Thank you R111 !

by Anonymousreply 11209/08/2013

While Elba’s gifts have been tapped in his television work on The Wire and Luther, few if any films have showcased the British actor’s range quite so expansively as Mandela. From an early scene with him in training as an amateur boxer he shows a rangy physicality, an absolute ease in his body that enhances his magnetism. That dynamic presence feeds the warmth as well as the authority and dignity of the man. He’s also uncannily like the real Mandela in his voice and accent work.

First review out of TIFF.

by Anonymousreply 11309/08/2013

Franco is a tool and the Academy will not reward him with a nom for anything so soon after his hosting debacle, for which they mainly blame him and not AnnE. The douchey campaign won't help either.

by Anonymousreply 11409/08/2013

I've loved Michael B. Jordan since Friday Night Lights and have thought he was destined for stardom for years, so I'm happy to hear he's getting some buzz, and that TIFF review for Mandela makes me hopeful for Idris Elba, too.

by Anonymousreply 11509/08/2013

Not like Steve Carrell had much of a chance but Foxcatcher is now being moved to 2014. So he's out.

by Anonymousreply 11609/27/2013

Just saw Rush. To my great surprise, I thought it was superb. Daniel Bruhl really deserves to be a Best Actor nom and Chris Hemsworth really can act which I didn't think was possible. This is so weird, I hate car racing, hate sports movies, think Ron Howard's a hack, but this is the most exhilarating, thrilling movie I've seen IN YEARS with some of the best comic lines.

by Anonymousreply 11709/27/2013

Heard things about Rush as well. It goes wide today; let's see how the domestic (US) bo is. It should do well in Europe and internationally, but a non-Nascar racing movie might be a hard sell stateside.

by Anonymousreply 11809/27/2013

Some people around here act like Leo Dicaprio dumped them, that they have been personally wronged by him, so now all of his work and/or talent is non-existent/terrible/etc. It's quite embarrassing for them to be acting like jilted lovers.

Besides, Steve Carrell is a much worse actor than Dicaprio.

by Anonymousreply 11909/27/2013

It's doubtful Carell will ever get an Oscar nomination, anyway.

The derby pundits are going nuts because rumors are flying that The Wolf of Wall Street is being moved to 2014 but I'm hearing now Paramount is moving Jack Ryan to next year and TWOWS will take its place on Christmas Day.

by Anonymousreply 12009/27/2013

R117, this is indeed a surprise in every possible way. If you are a corporate shell, you are good at what you do. Better admit right off the bat Ron Howard shoots talentless duds.

by Anonymousreply 12109/27/2013

All the things I hate about Ron Howard (corny, sentimental, white hat/black hat, etc.) isn't present in Rush - Lauda and Hunt were not admirable people - both were spoiled, arrogant rich kids - and Howard does nothing to soften their rough edges. Some of the criticism I've seen today is about how there isn't a real hero to root for, it's cold not warm and fuzzy! That's already a sign Rush is a film for adults - not typical of Howard's oeuvre. Bruhl and Hemsworth are very, very good, the screenplay is very witty and the cinematography spectacular. A real surprise.

As for Leonardo di Caprio: he gets all the best leading roles and does bugger-all with them. He's an OK actor but that's about it. So his ardent fans mystify me: he's unattractive, looks like the Pillsbury Doughboy and his acting abilities were OK to start with (he was good in Gilbert Grape), but he never developed any further. The older, fatter and lumpier he gets the less he'll get fangurls and fanboys to ensure bums on seats in his films and he'll stop getting the choice roles, they'll go to better actors (of which there are many): a day to look forward to.

by Anonymousreply 12209/28/2013

Leo will win.

by Anonymousreply 12303/01/2014

Maybe now Robert Redford realizes that he will have to take the wig off before they'll nominate him.

by Anonymousreply 12403/01/2014

well R123 you may be onto something. Leo has amazing transits right now: trans Neptune trining his MC; trans Jupiter trining his Mars; but the key planet here is Uranus (planet of shock and upsets).

Transiting Uranus is exactly trining his North Node (and natal Neptune) while the trans North Node is exactly conjunct his natal Uranus; in astrology this is what we call a “double whammy”, it’s rare and even rarer on a major weekend for an individual like this one. If there’s an upset, it will be in this race with Leo walking away with it.

He’s having the best transits for winning this weekend, while McBongo has only a few.

by Anonymousreply 12503/01/2014

HA ! I'm R1 and I might be proven right this year !!!

by Anonymousreply 12605/22/2014

R126, Steve Carrell is the one getting the best reviews from that film, not Tatum.

by Anonymousreply 12705/22/2014

R1, I wouldn't gloat if I were you. Most of the accolades for Foxcatcher have been reserved for the director and Steve Carrell. Channing Tatum merely turns in his first decent performance, and Woody Harrelson, Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt have proven that that's not always enough.

by Anonymousreply 12805/22/2014

Agree, OP. Steve Carrell is a lock for Foxcatcher.

by Anonymousreply 12908/15/2014

Carell has a potential problem. He has a new film coming out, another one of his dumb comedies. Depending on how dumb it is, this could create a Norbit effect canceling out praise he gets for Foxcatcher.

I think none of the British actors desperately angling for nominations (Cumberbitch, Redmayne, Fassbender, O'Connell, Hardy, etc.) are going to make it. They'll cancel each other out. People have been predicting Ben Affleck for Gone Girl (which sounds like another Fincher thriller re-tread). But people who predict Affleck must have never seen Affleck attempting to act.

Michael Keaton might get lucky with Birdman, but even if he gets a nomination, he'll never win. He's been out of play for too many years.

It's going to be a weak field this year, unlike last where the competition was ferocious.

by Anonymousreply 13008/16/2014

I don't think the Norbit effect will hurt Carell in the same way it did for Murphy. Murphy is so disliked that Norbit was a convenient excuse not to award him.

Carell seems relatively well-liked in Hollywood, and even his stupid comedies aren't considered that terrible. Plus, he has several critically-acclaimed movies to counteract the Burt Wonderstones.

by Anonymousreply 13108/17/2014

Why didn't someone start a 2015 (awards for 2014) thread, instead if dredging this one up?

by Anonymousreply 13208/17/2014

Carell is so fucking annoying.

by Anonymousreply 13308/17/2014

I know a couple of guys who worked on Interstellar. They say McConaughey blows the roof off. Great performance. Don't know if he can win again after winning this year, but he'll probably be nominated.

by Anonymousreply 13408/17/2014

What about Cumberbatch for the Imitation Game for 2015?

by Anonymousreply 13508/17/2014
Need more help? Click Here.