Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Anyone watching the new drama Silk on Masterpiece?

I don.t understand the legal system where the attorney gets a case at the end of a day and are then expected to defend the accused the next day.

Is anyone familiar with the British legal system.

I like the show ...great acting.

by Anonymousreply 1409/09/2013

I love it but I admit that most of the time I don't understand what's going on; the legal system is so different than the US.

That was a GREAT scene last night when Rupert Penry-Jones met up with the clerk from another practice in the pub. The behind-the-scenes drama is much more interesting than their legal cases. Those seem to be almost painfully, naively written.

by Anonymousreply 109/02/2013

I love it, too.

Acting is universally great, as it's often the case in British TV shows.

I wish they would show season two, but I think we'll only get to see season one.

by Anonymousreply 209/02/2013

i woek with a british doctor and she has no idea about their legal system...I am going to have to ask her to contact her relatives in Britain...although I think they are by far aged.

How can you get a case in a binder with a cranberry red ribbon around it and try the case the next day?

Yes, the pub scene was great...love the male lead...

by Anonymousreply 309/02/2013

Probably what you get for having to go the Legal Aid route.

I haven't seen the show but I presume these are barristers. Getting a file and swotting up for the trial the following day is far from unusual but unlikely in long, complicated cases. There may be some creative licence here for the purposes of TV.

by Anonymousreply 409/02/2013

no, but I'm Wearing the new Drama "Silk" in the form of a caftan right now!

by Anonymousreply 509/02/2013

Another show that makes British life, at all social and professional levels, look enervated, ugly and defeated. The whole thing plays like something written by an entitled twat who wants everyone to know who put upon she is. And of course the two attractive men are portrayed as a thief and a rat's ass.

by Anonymousreply 609/02/2013

I am enjoying the show. Although, the first episode I was totally confused how the same office had one person defending and another prosecuting. I looked it up on Wiki and by clicking some of the links got a (somewhat) better understanding,,,though not perfectly clarified.

by Anonymousreply 709/02/2013

I tried to stay interested but just couldn't.

by Anonymousreply 809/02/2013

I'm enjoying it, but it isn't much of a mystery show - they should have just aired it as a regular Masterpiece show.

The way it looks, everyone, prosecutors and defense, work from one big pool, and sometimes you get called to defense, and sometimes to prosecute.

Billy, the clerk - why does he have so much power? He's so evil, I hope they kill him off soon.

And who is Rupert trying to screw by getting the rabble-rouser to talk to Martha about dumping Billy? Billy, or Martha?

by Anonymousreply 909/02/2013

For a moment it looked like Billy was going to blackmail Rupert into having sex with him, but unfortunately, he just wanted him to be a mole.

by Anonymousreply 1009/02/2013

Billy's not evil. That Kate is trying to get rid of him and approaches one barrister after another to get a vote to do it. She's a nasty, overly ambitious bitch and Billy's figured out what's going on.

by Anonymousreply 1109/02/2013

Billy's job is sort of like an office manager, planning who will handle what cases and in what capacity - defense or prosecution. Plus, he is responsible for the office's collective finances. He is also responsible for getting work for the barristers from solicitors. Kate thinks he is wasting money or pocketing money instead of getting the barristers paid.

They all share expenses of the chambers (the office), each considered independent/self-employed. I guess like a collective. Billy is the one who is supposed to maintain the balance of everything.

by Anonymousreply 1209/02/2013

Anyone watched it tonight? Did she lose the baby because the guy kicked her in the gut (or in DL terms: "kicked her in the cunt") or was it because of shock?

She seemed to get over it pretty fast, though.

The judge's wife changing her testimony was a bit convenient, more in the L&O fashion.

Love the acting, still.

by Anonymousreply 1309/08/2013

Does anyone know if PBS decided to air the show with two episodes back-to-back? I was surprised at the length of each episode...

Losing the baby was unfortunate, I don't understand what caused the miscarriage... Martha was into her second trimester... was it really from the altercation in the court house?

What is the difference between a barrister and a solicitor?

Foyle's War returns next week. YEA!

by Anonymousreply 1409/09/2013
Need more help? Click Here.