Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

After Dark Magazine

They had some serious balls to try and say that the magazine wasn't gay.

Sooooooooooooooooooooooooo GAY.

by Anonymousreply 4209/08/2013

I was a ghost writer for After Dark. It was gay, very, very gay.

by Anonymousreply 109/01/2013

Back when I was in college in the mid-80s I discovered our library's run of bound early-70s After Darks in the periodical stacks. I used to park myself in a carrel and look at them when I had time to kill or was bored of studying. I wasn't out yet and they were pretty fascinating to me at the time.

by Anonymousreply 209/01/2013

I'm not gay; I'm bisexual!!!

by Anonymousreply 309/01/2013

WEHT Norma McClain Stoop?

by Anonymousreply 409/01/2013

R1 .... interesting ....why a 'ghost' writer, instead of a staff writer. Were you writing a column for one of their 'known' columnists ??

by Anonymousreply 509/01/2013

Back in that same era, there wasn't anything gayer than GQ, except for maybe Honcho. The early years of Details also seemed to be completely targeted to gays.

by Anonymousreply 609/01/2013

W and W for r3!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 709/01/2013

Yep R5. I did. He couldn’t write for shit. He got paid the big bucks and I got peanuts. I quit after 3 years of being stupid enough to take it. Jobs were not that hard to get way back then. I should have quit after a few months. I wasn’t the only ghost there either.

It’s that way to this day with most magazines and newspaper columns. Hell, half the books published are written by ghost writers along with many plays, films and TV shows. You’d be surprised how many well known writers can’t write or once could and have become too lazy to do it.

by Anonymousreply 809/01/2013

The Memphis Public Library had a subscription, circa 1974. I read every issue. I was very young (about 17) and so naive that I couldn't believe that the references were to gay life and gay sex. I had never seen anything like it--I found it puzzling and exciting.

I wonder what gay man ordered the subscription? Dead now, surely.

The issues were kept in the art and music department, which was full of lots of classical and blues/jazz records you could check it. Of course, there were lots of books about the arts as well. It was a wonderful place.

by Anonymousreply 909/01/2013

"You’d be surprised how many well known writers can’t write or once could and have become too lazy to do it."

Name some names, honeychile!

by Anonymousreply 1009/01/2013

Can't. You have to sign an agreement to basically keep your mouth shut. No one wants a nobody ghost writer when they pay for magazines, books, tickets to a show, movie, etc. So you do he work and the "Name" gets the credit and brings in the profits. It's really a thankless job. Yeah, it shows you you can write but that and $2.50 will get you a ride on the subway.

by Anonymousreply 1109/01/2013

R6: Early Details was pretty frattish (similar to Maxim)...it wasn't until the early 00s reboot that it turned uber-gay.

by Anonymousreply 1209/02/2013

I wish there were an oral history of this magazine. I'm sure that many of the people involved are gone, but it would be interesting to hear from the survivors still around to tell the tale.

Get to work, R1 !!

by Anonymousreply 1409/02/2013

Agreed, R14, but a large-format oral history illustrated with evocative photos, articles and ads. It would be a fascinating social history. Publishers take note!

by Anonymousreply 1509/02/2013

Pertaining to its pre-history, I believe it started (with another title) as a ballroom dance magazine...

by Anonymousreply 1609/02/2013

Duh, it says that in wiki. Ignore me (R16)

by Anonymousreply 1709/02/2013

love the cover that says Joseph Bottoms: But Can He Dance?

And the ad for Love Lard. Classy!

by Anonymousreply 1809/02/2013

A friend of mine's father kept a stash hidden in a bag in a box in a wall unit in the garage apartment behind their house. My friend would sometimes have garage sleepovers, and on one such occasion, I discovered and pored over Mr. S's stash.

I never told anyone what I'd found, but I did develop a special, though non-sexual, friendship with Mr. S.

by Anonymousreply 1909/04/2013

Bump in the Dark

by Anonymousreply 2009/04/2013

It was so gay that just touching it would give you a lisp.

by Anonymousreply 2109/04/2013

In the 1970s, I read 'After Dark' each month at the Paperback Booksmith magazine stand in Kenmore Square, Boston...right down the street from graduate school at Boston University. I also read 'Playgirl' there too. But 'After Dark' was around before 'Playgirl' and always so cutting edge and behind-the-scenes show business. It was fascinating and endlessly entertaining for those of us young gays working to come out and striving to be in-the-know.

I loved Paperback Booksmith. I have fond memories of that place both in Kenmore Square and Coolidge Corner in Brookline.

by Anonymousreply 2209/04/2013

I used to buy it when I was in college and can still remember the disco issue with Vicki Sue Robinson and a then incredibly hot picture of a muscle guy dancing on Fire Island. As Liz Lemon would say, "I want to go to there."

by Anonymousreply 2309/04/2013

R12, Details was a very gay-ish downtown mag in the 80s that became more and more corporate. In the mid-90s, there was a campaign by the new publishers and editors to get rid of any kind of gay undertones (which few were left) and taht's when I stopped subscribing. I thought I was the only one who found the magazine getting dumber but in Susan Faludi's "Stiffed," she exposes the entire thing.

And Details has never been the same.

by Anonymousreply 2409/04/2013

About 175 auctions sold of AD magazines on Ebay. Getting anywhere from a few bucks to $20. Apparently there's still an audience for the magazine. Seems there's a bunch of cheap 'lots' available too.

by Anonymousreply 2509/08/2013

r22 Booksmith lives on in Coolidge Corner and they still sell some gay mags.

by Anonymousreply 2609/08/2013

AFTER DARK was pre-twink. They featured so many hot, HAIRY men. Looking over the old issues today, I am continually surprised how many Broadway chorus boys had hairy chests.

by Anonymousreply 2709/08/2013

R26. Good to know. I live in California now, but I grew up in Brighton.

by Anonymousreply 2809/08/2013

Of course the magazine claimed not to be gay. It wasn't for openly gay people; it was for people who claimed not to be gay. At the time, that included almost all gay people. Maybe it still does.

by Anonymousreply 2909/08/2013

Ebay auctions crack me up .... there's a 16 page 'magazine' from 1978 of men from Falcon Studios. $ 229.00 (well there *is* free shipping !). Who would spend that ? For pics that are probably all over the internet (or in one of the many Falcon photo books).

by Anonymousreply 3009/08/2013

What the fashionable gay was wearing in 1973: Lew Magram ad in "After Dark."

by Anonymousreply 3109/08/2013

Ha. A lot of future DL posters in R31 ... caftans, no earrings.

by Anonymousreply 3209/08/2013

Kaftan, R32, not caftan according to the linked image. In fact, I have never seen it spelt with a 'c' before finding DL.

by Anonymousreply 3309/08/2013

Weren't The Tubes featured naked in there? Anyone with a link to the pics?

by Anonymousreply 3409/08/2013

R1, how did it actually work? Did the columnist give you the idea and an outline, or even attempt to write anything and you cleaned it up?

by Anonymousreply 3509/08/2013

Back in the 70s I came across After Dark at a college library. Devoured every issue I could get my hands on. Also around that time Johnny Carson would be making jokes about a L.A mag called The L.A. Free Press. Found that mag at the campus library, along with very early issues of The Advocate. I remember someone posted an ad in The Free Press trying to sell a rectal thermometer once used by Elvis.

by Anonymousreply 3609/08/2013

My "straight" roommates subscribed to After Dark. They used it as j.o. material.

by Anonymousreply 3709/08/2013

I subscribed once and some thief in the circ department cashed my check and I never saw an issue.

by Anonymousreply 3809/08/2013

They were all druggies there.

by Anonymousreply 3909/08/2013

And after they came, they ran out to go hunting or play basketball, R37.

by Anonymousreply 4009/08/2013

My college library had a complete collection of AFTER DARK in the Arts section. The magazine was published by the same media company that issued DANCE magazine. (So maybe there was a two for one special.)

I remember Patrick Swayzee in underwear/swimsuit ads. I think he may have also modeled for some fashion articles in the magazine. I always thought the boys who posed in the bulge-worthy fashions were call boys. but I don't know if that was true of Patrick.

by Anonymousreply 4109/08/2013

I remember how shocked and aroused I was when I saw the issue with Harvey Evans nude on the cover, with only a sailor had covering his dick.

by Anonymousreply 4209/08/2013
Need more help? Click Here.