Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Pro-Life. And I vote.

[all posts by ham-fisted troll a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 15311/11/2014

I'm totally pro-life but I also think it should be up to the woman whether to carry a fetus to term. It is a decision best left to a woman, her doctor, and her god.

We'll never know when life begins. Let's work to keep abortion safe and rare.

by Anonymousreply 309/01/2013

OP, you are a distinct minority. We'll all go on with our lives.

by Anonymousreply 409/01/2013

It's the economy, stupid.

by Anonymousreply 509/01/2013

What about the children already born who go to bed hungry...what about them?

by Anonymousreply 609/01/2013

Nobodys business what anyone does with their body

by Anonymousreply 709/01/2013

When artificial wombs exist in the future, unwanted fetuses can be transferred into them and the abortion issue will finally end. Pro-life money ought to flow into research for that.

by Anonymousreply 809/01/2013

I campaign actively against the OP, I look forward to a day when women around the globe won't have to be concerned with the buffoonery of those like the OP

by Anonymousreply 909/01/2013

Hey OP: So are you out there every day protesting war and the death penalty? Voting against those things, too? Or just women?

by Anonymousreply 1209/01/2013

OP meant: Pro-Life. Low IQ. And I vote.

God bless your little heart. Despite your handicap, you still participate in your civic duty. Kudos to you. :)

by Anonymousreply 1309/01/2013

"Pro-life" = pro-embryo

"Pro-life" = "You got knocked up, it's your own damn fault. We ain't paying for that baby neither or your healthcare."

"Pro-life" = "You got raped? You were probably asking for it."

"Pro-life" = "If you have this baby it'll kill you? Sucks to be you."

"Pro-life" = "Sure we want every baby to be born but we ain't gonna adopt any of 'em and we won't let them damn faggots adopt 'em neither."

by Anonymousreply 1409/01/2013

This is a gay chat board, no one should give a shit about abortions!

by Anonymousreply 1509/01/2013

Yikes, R13, that's pretty damning

by Anonymousreply 1609/01/2013

Pro lifers are NOT pro life.

They're anti sex.

To them, life begins at conception. Birth control pills are actually abortion pills.

After they outlaw abortions, they will outlaw contraception.

This is not about children, or life, or God. It is about controlling other people.

by Anonymousreply 1709/01/2013

[quote]When artificial wombs exist in the future, unwanted fetuses can be transferred into them and the abortion issue will finally end. Pro-life money ought to flow into research for that.

Right, but then women won't get punished for having sex. They'll still have a choice and 'pro-lifers" don't want that.

by Anonymousreply 1809/01/2013

[all posts by right wing shit-stain # a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 1909/01/2013

[quote]Why is it that most people who are against abortion are people you wouldn't want to fuck in the first place?

Hilarious and oh so correct

by Anonymousreply 2109/01/2013

It's weally a pwo pwivacy awgument. The OP would be mowe convincing if they didn't exewcise theiw option to post anonymously.

by Anonymousreply 2209/01/2013

Are you pro life, and have adopted a child, give to a food-bank for poor fatherless families or mentor as a Big Brother/Sister? Or are you one of those vile anti-woman anti-abortion people.

If you are just anti-abortion you are not pro-life.

by Anonymousreply 2309/01/2013

by Anonymousreply 2409/01/2013

Or to be sent to for profit prisons, 24

by Anonymousreply 2509/02/2013

Funny thing, these pro-life dolts don't realize that they have swallowed the corporate bait, r24,r25, hook, line, and sinker!

by Anonymousreply 2609/02/2013

Extremely Serious Taste

by Anonymousreply 2709/02/2013

You're so cute, OP.

by Anonymousreply 2809/02/2013

'The rights of the unborn' is truly an absurd statement.

by Anonymousreply 2909/02/2013

No one is pro-abortion, OP. is that why you're confused?

by Anonymousreply 3009/02/2013

I agree R30. The thought of killing a human being is repulsive, disgusting, and savage. But our bodies are our own. My moral disgust show stop at your door. But all sins ask for their payment at some point.

by Anonymousreply 3109/02/2013

R32 good luck with that you dumb bitch

by Anonymousreply 3309/02/2013

You mean misogynistic assholes, don't you, R35?

Congratulations, R32. And I wouldn't dream of depriving you of your choice in that regard.

by Anonymousreply 3709/02/2013

I'm pro choice and pro life. It's the only rational position.

by Anonymousreply 3809/02/2013

I don't have a problem with people who are "Pro-life" as long as they're consistent.

No one in their right mind could take someone seriously when they claim to be "pro-life" and yet there wasn't a war they didn't love or did everything to make poor children suffer.

Basically, the GOP.

by Anonymousreply 3909/02/2013

[quote]Over here in the UK, thankfully, the pro-life/pro-choice debate tends to take place on a rather more intellectual and thoughtful level.

Like: it's legal, don't get one if you don't want to? That's fine, but that's unfortunately not the level of discourse here.

by Anonymousreply 4009/02/2013

R35, one can then presume that you Have many foster children?

by Anonymousreply 4109/02/2013

And any criminal, no matter how young or mentally challenged they are, most pro-lifers would put them all to death. Even if there's a chance they could be innocent. You have to wonder what Jesus Christ's opinion on capital punishment is.

by Anonymousreply 4209/02/2013

Yes, let's force women to have kids they don't want and can't afford to take care of. Make them ruin their lives and bring more abused, neglected and impoverished children into the world because the fetus is the only thing that matters.

by Anonymousreply 4309/02/2013

Whenever I hear someone claim to be "Pro-Life," I automatically assume they are stupid. I have never met an intelligent social conservative. Their arguments are always based on emotion, false equivalencies, misinformation, and just plain ignorance. If you want to stop abortions, get at the root of the problem by addressing the circumstances in society that make a woman feel like she needs it. Unfortunately, it is the anti abortion Republicans that you idiot "pro-lifers" vote for who support policies and budgets that create environments where abortions are more common than they should be.

by Anonymousreply 4409/02/2013

If you are opposed to abortion, then please, by all means, don't have one.

But, your choice not to have an abortion may not dictate the decisions that others may make.

Abortion should be safe, legal, and -- we hope -- rare. However, it must remain a choice for each woman to make regarding her body in accordance with the law that is now well established.

by Anonymousreply 4509/02/2013

Typical pro-lifer:

"The "baby" deserves a chance at life."

But what about his life after birth?

"It's not society's, or my, responsibility to take care of it. It's the parents."

What if they don't want or can't take care of it?

"There are plenty of people wanting to adopt babies. It's not our responsibility. They should have thought about these things before engaging in sex. Once they engaged in sex they gave up their choice."

So you think women are walking incubators for childless couples?

"The "baby" has the right to be born."

So an undeveloped embryo trumps an already breathing fully developed human being?

"The "baby" has the right to be born".

Real life conversation.

by Anonymousreply 4609/02/2013

Ah, being on a Merkan dominated discussion (sorry, gossip) forum.

Pro-life = conservative, pro-capital punishment, libertarian, anti-nazi-fucking-social-healthcare etc etc etc ad nauseam, right?

by Anonymousreply 4709/02/2013

R48 - most women don't agonize or regret abortions. Quit swallowing false medical "facts" from propaganda sites. Most women think long and hard about their choice. Most have no regrets.

by Anonymousreply 4909/02/2013

"Force", R48? Nobody's forcing any women to get abortions, they're choosing abortions because it's the best available option.

As for "helping mothers to afford babies", have you now, or have you ever voted for a candidate who cut welfare or other benefits for the poor?

by Anonymousreply 5009/02/2013

47, pro-life is code for woman hater. It's that simple.

by Anonymousreply 5109/02/2013

I agree with you 100%, R44. This is just willful ignorance from people who are threatened by anyone with intelligence and the ability to reason. By the very definition of the word choice, there is ONLY choice (our ability to choose) and nothing else.

by Anonymousreply 5209/02/2013

[quote] no, let's force women to have an invasive medical procedure (which they agonise over, and torture themselves over for the rest of their lives) to kill their babies in their wombs

you may ONLY make this statement, if you are an American citizen and subject to her laws, if you volunteer to raise the said child, otherwise, go away.

by Anonymousreply 5309/02/2013

R34 - why don't you enlighten us about abortion rights in the UK.

Give us the details on the part where two medical practitioners have to approve the abortion.

Tell us about the stipulations which must be met to get an abortion.

As far as the level of discourse in the UK - please.

We've all seen your parliament's question time on TV.

by Anonymousreply 5409/02/2013

R47, why not explain WHY you are anti abortion instead of playing the victim card. Let's see how logical, rational and informed your reasoning is. You won't do it because you are afraid we will successfully prove you for the ignorant asshole you are.

Also, you hint without ever explicity stating that our assumptions about you being a conservative nutcase are wrong. By all means, please explicity inform us of your political ideology including capital punishment, welfare, healthcare, workers rights, etc. You won't do that either because you know we have you pegged for the dumb ass your posts reveal you to be.

Kisses, honeybun. ;)

by Anonymousreply 5509/02/2013

Hey, r54, I'm not r34 but I am a UK citizen who works in the NHS.

[quote]Give us the details on the part where two medical practitioners have to approve the abortion.

Yep, that's true and it's a doddle. Your local doctor will sign, and then the practitioner at the clinic - FOR FREE.

[quote]Tell us about the stipulations which must be met to get an abortion.

The stipulations don't come into play until your past 24 weeks. Even then I've never know a case be turned down. Also 98 percent of abortions in the UK take place before 20 weeks. It's really not a big issue.

[quote]As far as the level of discourse in the UK - please. We've all seen your parliament's question time on TV.

PMQs is only 30 minutes on a Wednesday lunchtime. It's rowdy as hell, but not indicative of all political discourse here.

by Anonymousreply 5609/02/2013

*your PREGNANCY'S past 24 weeks*

by Anonymousreply 5709/02/2013

If people are born gay, than someday doctors will be able to tell from an ultrasound When that happens, would it be OK to abort if the parents don't want a gay child?

by Anonymousreply 5809/02/2013

Well, the 'deal with it' tells the story.

by Anonymousreply 5909/02/2013

R58, Honey, They already do that type of shit in India and China with girls. That's far worse.

by Anonymousreply 6009/02/2013

OK, r58 I'll bite your dumb bait.

1. Most decisions to abort are made almost immediately on discovery of a pregnancy. Only a very small percentage of decisions are taken on medical grounds during a planned pregnancy. So your hypothetical test would not come into play in the vast majority of decisions.

2. The temptation to abort a child purely on the grounds of it being gay would only appeal to those who consider homosexuality to be unnatural. If a test were ever discovered, it would prove once and for all that homosexuality is natural. Therefore aborting a foetus on the basis of sexuality would be logically and morally inconsistent to any truly religious person.

3. There will be a tiny minority of hypocritical fundies who would prefer to go against 'god's will' by aborting a pregnancy because of its completely natural sexuality. Logic and morality are useless in those cases. It's their choice.

Essentially, your hypothetical scenario is nothing more than poorly thought out gay-baiting.

by Anonymousreply 6109/02/2013

The anti-gay crowd and the anti-abortion crowd are generally one and the same. When the day comes that homophobes finally acknowledge that being gay isn't a "lifestyle choice," then maybe there will be something to worry about.

by Anonymousreply 6209/02/2013

R56 - are you sure? Because here is a quote from the NHS web site about abortion performed under 24 weeks:

[quote] two doctors must agree that an abortion would cause less damage to a woman's physical or mental health than continuing with the pregnancy.

That seems to be a pretty subjective criteria to put in the hands of medical practitioners. As opposed to leaving the decision up to the women.

It's a law that no one person or group that is pro-choice would accept in the United States.

I won't fault the UK's NHS - but please it isn't free. No one claims national health care is free - the money comes from taxes. There is no fee for service.

I'd be careful about characterizing the level of political discourse in the UK. Should we start talking about racism, immigration and unemployment?

by Anonymousreply 6309/02/2013

The reason more people are pro-life today is that Roe v Wade was 40 years ago. No one under 60 remembers the illegal abortion mills - similar to the case in Philadelphia this year - where desperate women went. Stories about these abortion mills were all over the newspapers in the 1960s.

Some of you are very confused. If a fetus is Iife at conception, and I believe it is, that does not mean a woman is not entitled to a safe and legal abortion. I know the alternative. Making abortion illegal does not stop it.

by Anonymousreply 6509/02/2013

I'm very sure, r63. The quote you gave was the original intent and extent of the law, but it is barely paid any lip-service in the modern clinic.

[quote]It's a law that no one person or group that is pro-choice would accept in the United States.

I'm sure that's true. I'd much prefer a completely pro-choice wording, but the law was formulated here nearly fifty years ago. I'm content that the wording remain as it is, as long as the practicalities of the modern clinic remain the same and people have a free choice in practical terms.

[quote]I won't fault the UK's NHS - but please it isn't free. No one claims national health care is free - the money comes from taxes. There is no fee for service.

The NHS is funded by the tax system. In all cases, care is free at the point of use. Having paid taxes is not a requirement for care. The NHS has always maintained three core principles: 1. That it meet the needs of everyone 2. That it be free at the point of delivery 3. That it be based on clinical need, not ability to pay

(Of course, the current government may yet screw the country over and ruin it.)

I have never claimed that our political system is perfect - it's very far from it. My point was that you referenced the rowdiest behaviour of PMQs as if that is the entirety of our parliament's political process. It's not.

by Anonymousreply 6609/02/2013

Control freak.

by Anonymousreply 6809/02/2013

During his residency, my dad had a patient who had performed herself own abortion at home.

He said it was the most horrible thing he'd ever seen. She didn't live.

He's a conservative republican, but pro-choice. That experience is why.

by Anonymousreply 6909/02/2013

Keep abortion SAFE SAFE SAFE, legal and rare. What else is there?

Shadow a social worker if you want to understand the quality of life issues associated with an unwanted, unloved child. Read up on Geraldine Santoro if you want to know why abortions must remain safe and legal. Look up the definition of the word "choice" if you're still confused. If none of these gets through to you, put your money where your mouth is and become a foster parent, so you finally understand that not everyone feels as entitled, and has as many clear-cut options in life as you do.

by Anonymousreply 7109/02/2013

R70, you don't seem to know how to quote.

by Anonymousreply 7209/02/2013

[quote]Control freak.

R68 - I'm just going to guess you are a gay man under the age of 25?

Probably don't think abortion rights is really your issue?

Just not interested enough to try and understand?

by Anonymousreply 7509/02/2013

R73, don't be absurd. OB-GYNs perform a variety of services and that is only one.

by Anonymousreply 7609/02/2013

Maybe I missed it, but R68 seems to be describing the far right individuals who want to control women's bodies. If that is the case, I think this person has a pretty good understanding of the issue.

by Anonymousreply 7709/02/2013

Have you ever seen the results of a coat-hanger abortion? Ever seen a 10-year-old die in labor? Check it out and then tell me you are "pro-life".

by Anonymousreply 7809/02/2013

"When that happens, would it be OK to abort if the parents don't want a gay child?"

Who here wants to be born to parents who don't want a gay child? How about to parents who think they need to change your orientation? I know there are people on this forum who can tell us exactly what that's like.

And I'd like to ask them to think about what it'd be like if the abuse started at birth.

by Anonymousreply 7909/02/2013

I don't understand, R64, what about that lady's decision to only keep one of them disgusts you? She made a reasonable (given her circumstance) judgement and went with it. You can't expect people to just be fine, come what may. If you can't support 3 children, don't. Adoption might have been a solution, how much better is debatable.

What seems lost on many pro-life thinkers (do they really think) is that this is not the early 20th century. Women's labor makes a substantial contribution to household income, where women do work outside the home. Particularly true for single women, women who become single parents, or even in the event of a spouse's death. Being pregnant and carrying to term is only the beginning of the joys of accumulating costs.

The author of that article did not appear in a position to sit around all day raising a bunch of children. What about that could possibly be disgusting? Welfare is not winning the lottery; getting by on scraps is no fun.

by Anonymousreply 8009/03/2013

Okay, ANOTHER one for dummy, R58.

IF, for some strange reason it's possible - yet it isn't, gay fetuses can be ascertained - and then aborted - the problem isn't the medical procedure, it's the stigma. Female fetuses are aborted over and over and over in Asia, every day, every single day. The populations there skew terribly male (and thus are unstable because of it) on account of this. Is the fault of this occurrence ABORTIONS? NO! it's the stigma of giving birth to a girl! what the problem to solve is is removing the stigma of having female offspring - got it ? not the subsequent possible abortions!

On the same token, aborting "gay fetuses" poses the challenge of removing the stigma of gay offspring, NOT of having an abortion. Got it?

If the offspring is viewed as valid and loved then those particular abortions are unnecessary and YOU, fool, are a stupid idiot!!!!

by Anonymousreply 8109/03/2013

Stop trying to make sense to R58. It hurts her tiny little brain too much.

by Anonymousreply 8209/03/2013

Another fallacy of the anti-choice crowd is that abortions ought to be banned because some women have had abortions for reasons they don't approve of. That's not a valid reason, largely because who the fuck are you to approve or disapprove of people's private decisions?

If you dig further, anti-choice people will say that making people have unwanted children is okay, because the parents will magically turn loving and stable once the baby is born, and God will make it all come out okay. Obviously these are things people can only believe if they haven't thought about the issues or dealt with the real world, and are big reasons so many of us think anti-abortion enthusiasts aren't very bright.

And then there are those who want to punish women for having sex they don't approve of, and who don't care that the innocent child will be punished even more.

by Anonymousreply 8309/03/2013

Perhaps if the pro-"life" crowd's interest in children extended past the delivery room door others might pay more attention to them.

In the meantime,the Back Alley Abortionists Union would like to heartily thank OP for her tireless quest in order to make safe abortions illegal.

We salute you, OP with our knitting needles and coat hangers!

Keep up the good work!!

by Anonymousreply 8409/03/2013

[quote] Pro-Life. And I vote

You're a fucking moron

by Anonymousreply 8509/03/2013

Abort abort abort!

by Anonymousreply 8609/03/2013

r87, forcing someone to be chattle -- against their will and at grave risk to their health -- is also taking a life.

And I don't believe for one second that you're a woman.

by Anonymousreply 8809/03/2013

How old are you, R87? I would guess under 30.

by Anonymousreply 8909/03/2013

But can you tell the difference from a zygote and a two year old?

by Anonymousreply 9009/03/2013

I have never met or read anything by anyone who claimed to be "Pro-Life" who was actually pro-life.

They were at best, pro-fetus. Most of the time not even that. They're mostly just pro-controlling-women's-sexuality or anti-sex.

They don't give a shit about actual life. Human life. Living people. They almost always tend to be pro-death-penalty, pro-torture, pro-war, anti-healthcare, anti-food-assistance, anti-child-care-assistance, anti-education, anti-environment, anti-regulation ... all the things that cause a lot of death and misery.

They're truly vile, horrid people, with vile, horrid beliefs.

And yet they're so arrogant and pious, thinking they have a "one-size-fits-all" answer to everyone and everything.

The fact that they put the existence of a blastula or embryo over the life of the woman who is carrying it, is just appalling, even if they aren't any of those other thing. Even though a THIRD of all fertilized eggs and embryos miscarry (many times without the woman even knowing she was ever pregnant). They don't care about THAT. They don't care about cases of rape or the life of the mother being in danger. They don't care about the fact that an unwanted child will be miserable... they don't give a flying fuck about QUALITY of life. For anyone. They're just so selfishly arrogant that they think they know what's right for other people, based purely on ignorant, uninformed dogma. Short-sighted nonsense.

Pro-Life people are just horrible people.

by Anonymousreply 9109/03/2013

Good for you OP. Now tell your femaile friends you are in favor of contolling THEIR health and THEIR choice.

Since you are pro life, I suggest you don't get an abortion as well.

by Anonymousreply 9309/03/2013

R92's post is more evidence that allegedly "Pro-Life" people are pretty horrible, ignorant people.

by Anonymousreply 9409/03/2013

R94 - how so?

by Anonymousreply 9509/03/2013

The last sentence and it's obviously racist over-tones (you can just read the smug haughtiness in that statement). Never mind that 91 didn't deny she existed (obvious reading comprehension problems).

Complete ignorance of consequences and basic reproductive facts, as well as social facts, leads someone to be "anti-abortion" (which isn't even remotely the same as being 'pro life').

I think it's pretty obvious.

by Anonymousreply 9609/03/2013

So then you also vote against gay rights since 99.9999% of "pro-life" candidates are bigots.

by Anonymousreply 9809/03/2013

Does it piss prolifers off that they've had the votes to overturn Roe v Wade for years but they NEVER will because it gets dummies like you to vote against your own economic interests? The Supreme Court could vote it out tomorrow. But they won't even if Frothy Santorum somehow got to be President.

by Anonymousreply 9909/03/2013

[quote]Conservatives will still have them.

Are you kidding? The most hypocritical people are conservatives, suddenly they would be reasonable about women's freedom to make her own decisions.

by Anonymousreply 10009/03/2013

Oh, she's British? Well then who the fuck cares.

"She" lives in a country that won't be criminalizing abortion anytime in the next century. Her opinions in the US are completely irrelevant.

If of course "she" isn't just another trolling gay wingnut.

by Anonymousreply 10109/03/2013

by Anonymousreply 10209/03/2013

Most conservatives are anti-abortion because they want to punish women who step out of line - for having sex, or for putting her own concerns first.

They don't see that it's wrong to fuck up a child's life, in order to punish the parent. Because they're small-minded, nasty, not very bright, and quite incapable of the forgiveness Jesus valued so much.

by Anonymousreply 10309/03/2013

Exacty, R103.

by Anonymousreply 10409/03/2013

How about supporting increased funding for free contraception in minority communities? Darling "British" "female" troll @ R105.

With no corresponding increase in prenatal care, making abortion illegal just increases the incidence of back-alley abortions. Like you actually gave a flying fuck about the health of African-American women, troll.

by Anonymousreply 10609/04/2013

Yes, R105, the government monitors who has sex and who's getting pregnant. If you're black, you can expect an accompanied visit to an abortion clinic.

In the real world, people choose to have the procedure. If they don't want them, they don't have them. Funnily enough, one always hears about Shaniqua and her 10 babies by 11 different men. Which black women are getting these abortions?!

by Anonymousreply 10709/04/2013

[quote]How the fuck is what I said racist? I think it's disgusting that the rate of abortion for black women is five times that of white women in the US. It's eugenics by the back door, and you clearly don't give a shit.

How the fuck is it eugenics?

Are black women being kidnapped and forced to submit to abortions?

If not, then it's not fucking eugenics, you stupid cunt!

by Anonymousreply 10809/04/2013

[quote]It's eugenics by the back door

I've always preferred it by the back door.

by Anonymousreply 10909/04/2013

So let's say abortion is banned R111. That isn't going to fix poverty rates for black women in the United States and it isn't going to stop black women from having abortions. So what you really are saying is that you are against SAFE abortions that are regulated and sterile and pro back alley abortions that butcher women and leave them either sterile or dead. You are a heartless cunt who doesn't the difference between an embryo and a human being. Should we hold a funeral for a "baby," by your definition, every time a woman miscarries during her first month of pregnancy? You do know most women who miscarry never even knew they were pregnant to begin with. Are you also devastated every time you have a period knowing that half of what would have been your baby just died? If the answer is yes, please see a psychiatrist ASAP.

by Anonymousreply 11209/04/2013

[quote]"She" lives in a country that won't be criminalizing abortion anytime in the next century. Her opinions in the US are completely irrelevant.

i agree, "she" sounds like a crackpot or a troll.

by Anonymousreply 11309/04/2013

[quote]You don't need to force black women to have abortions at gunpoint if your society ensures that they are kept poorer and less educated and have less access to contraception than their white counterparts.

then the subject CLEARLY is not about abortion - a medical procedure - and is about the continued disenfranchisement of the poor and ethnic minorities.

by Anonymousreply 11409/04/2013

"How about supporting increased funding for free contraception in minority communities?"

Po-lifers are RELIGIOUS. They think contraception is evil.

by Anonymousreply 11509/04/2013

An interesting study found that most pro-life people take their animals to the humane society, or give them away.

by Anonymousreply 11609/04/2013

I don't care if you're personally pro-life and would never choose an abortion for yourself.

Where it bugs the shit out of me (and what makes you a horrible person) is when you try to force your one-size-fits-exactly-you opinion on everyone else, as if you know better for everyone in every given situation.

If you think there's a covert racial genocide component at work here (which is laughable, as it's the people who would support such a thing that oppose abortions), then the correct solution is not to abandon choice and have the federal government dictate what you can and cannot do with your own body, but to work to support robust child-care, social-safety nets, living wages, sex education, and free & readily available contraception... all the things that are PROVEN to reduce abortions, yet which nearly all Pro-Life people OPPOSE.

I mean, seriously... we have HARD HISTORICAL DATA on what does and doesn't work to reduce or eliminate abortions.

What doesn't work AT ALL: Banning abortions, making them illegal, making them extremely difficult to get, abstinence-only sex-ed, standing outside of abortion clinics harassing the staff and customers.

What WORKS REALLY WELL: Free & easy to obtain contraceptive, full and comprehensive sex education, full employment, living wages, social safety-nets, robust child-care options, food-aid, robust public transportation, robust health-care

So basically, Conservatives -- who demagogue about abortion and HATE it and are OBSESSED with ending it -- vote for policies that ensure there will be lots of abortions, and hate on liberals... whose policies would dramatically reduce the number of abortions, all while keeping decisions about reproduction and child-birth between the parents, their doctor, and their own spiritual guidance & gods (if any)... you know, FREEDOM and LIBERTY.

Basically, there is nothing correct about the so-called "Pro-life" stance. It's hypocritical and controlling and authoritarian, and it DOESN'T WORK.

The ONLY valid choice is to be "Pro-Choice", and "no" is a perfectly valid choice.

by Anonymousreply 11709/04/2013

R118 is an idiot.

By Supreme Court edict, abortion is Constitutional, and it is UNCONSTITUTIONAL to ban it.

No, it's not a horrible law. It is correct. State governments have NO RIGHT to ban abortions, just like they have NO RIGHT to allow slavery.

by Anonymousreply 11909/04/2013

[quote] Pro-Life. And I vote.

And what do you have to show for it?

by Anonymousreply 12009/04/2013

Pro-consistent ethic of life. And I not only vote: Until last month, I worked at the White House. I was not an outlier there.

by Anonymousreply 12109/04/2013

Pro-Life people, what do we do with all of these unwanted kids that reek havoc on society when they grow up because they are pissed off at the world.

by Anonymousreply 12309/04/2013

Very pro-life idiot should be required to adopt two unwanted children and raise them and provide for them.

by Anonymousreply 12409/04/2013

I'm assuming OP is a married female.

by Anonymousreply 12509/04/2013

Who isn't "prolife"? I'm all for life. The fetus-obsessed should not get to own the term.

I also think a pregnant woman should get to decide whether to carry a fetus to term, in consultation with a doctor who can explain the risks.

Women who seek abortions do so for a number of reasons.

by Anonymousreply 12609/04/2013

R123 - try learning to spell?

by Anonymousreply 12709/04/2013

[quote]If you think there's a covert racial genocide component at work here (which is laughable, as it's the people who would support such a thing that oppose abortions), then the correct solution is not to abandon choice and have the federal government dictate what you can and cannot do with your own body, but to work to support robust child-care, social-safety nets, living wages, sex education, and free & readily available contraception... all the things that are PROVEN to reduce abortions, yet which nearly all Pro-Life people OPPOSE.

That's because you're a Merkan. Which is why I say again, Merka is not the whole world. Try thinking outside of Merka.

Here in the UK, most pro-lifers are absolutely for all of those things you list.

Merka is just a fucking weird place.

by Anonymousreply 12809/04/2013

Like the UK fucking counts for anything. This is an American site. Of course America is assumed.

And anyone who is both 'pro-life' AND uses words like "Merkan" and "merka" has absolutely zero credibility.

by Anonymousreply 12909/04/2013

[quote]I'm totally pro-life but I also think it should be up to the woman whether to carry a fetus to term. It is a decision best left to a woman, her doctor, and her god.

So then you're pro-choice!

by Anonymousreply 13109/07/2013

R130 is so dumb, she/it doesn't see the irony of calling us "bigoted" and "ignorant" followed by her repeated use of the words "Merka" and "Merkan" throughout this thread. Then again, her/its only justification for being anti-choice is claiming to be a "liberal" inselaffe who cares only about "saving" poor black women and their precious embryos. As has been repeated ad nauseum, "pro-lifers" are really only against SAFE abortions. "Pro-lifers" are pro-back alley abortions. Rich women and women who come from rich families will still be having abortions albeit more expensive. Therefore, abortion will only be an option for the rich and affluent. Poor people on the other hand will be forced to carry and then raise children they either don't want, can't afford, or both. Worse yet, poor women will resort to barbaric and unsterile methods for terminating pregnancies. Obviously people like R130 don't give a shit about these women's lives or even consider for one second the repercussions of their views. Should a woman be forced to carry to term a fetus so deformed it won't live more than a few hours once born? Should a woman be forced to carry to term a fetus that poses the risk of death to the mother? Should a 10 year old be forced to carry to term a fetus conceived by being raped by her father? If the cunt at R130 is seriously "pro-life," she/it believes all these sitsutiions shouldn't end in an abortion and she/it is a horrible person for those views. Or she/it is just a "bloody idiot." Either way.

by Anonymousreply 13209/07/2013

R132 = illiterate...

by Anonymousreply 13309/08/2013

[quote]Pro-consistent ethic of life. And I not only vote: Until last month, I worked at the White House. I was not an outlier there.

I have to think a pro-consistent ethic of life means you oppose abortion in all cases, including rape and incest?

I find it very difficult to belief anyone with that position is not an outlier in any political circles.

by Anonymousreply 13409/08/2013

Ouch, R133. Coming from someone with your high intellect, that stings. Though I praise you for having the self control not to throw in a "Merka" or "Merkan" this time, you noxious cow, you. ;)

Seriously, you never address people's arguments, but merely insult them. I at least give you the courtesy of insulting you AND addressing your inane blabbering. School was not your friend, was it?

by Anonymousreply 13509/08/2013

Just more proof that "pro-life" (really "anti-abortion") people are idiots.

You can be pro-life and pro-choice.

But the abortion issue really is an issue like slavery and gay rights: There's only one right side, and that's the pro-choice side. Which is NOT "pro-abortion".

There is simply no scientifically sound definition for the beginning of human life. It varies by individual, religion, temperament, and moment. There is no one size fits all solution.

The BEST solution is to leave it to the woman, her partner, her doctors, and her spiritual advisors (if any)... and institute public policies that keeps abortion accessible, safe, and RARE.

by Anonymousreply 13609/08/2013

R121 is what's wrong with this country.

by Anonymousreply 13709/08/2013

[quote] Here in the UK, most pro-lifers are absolutely for all of those things you list.

That's utter bullshit, r128. You can shove your anti-American shtick up your bigoted cunt as well.

by Anonymousreply 13809/08/2013

The brit bitch is one of the DL's frauen. A straight woman who doesn't belong here but who is more than happy to litter the DL with her pronouncements on what gay men ought to think.

Die in a grease fire, cunt.

For the religious anti-choice nutters (who may or may not include Britbitch), it's worth noting that your bible does not include any prohibition on abortion. This, while abortion was well-known and commonly practiced during the time it was written (and before, and after). As an example, Cleopatra is reported to have had several abortions. There was an abortifacient plant in those times, Silphium, that was so over-used it became extinct.

If the men who claim to speak for god in your book knew that god was anti-choice, why didn't they say so? They determined that life began at "quickening" meaning when the already-born could feel the baby move in the womb. That's at about four months, give or take. Still, nary a mention of abortion in that noxious tome.

Naturally, gumming up the pretzel-logic of a religious nutter's mind with the bible and/or historical facts is pointless. Their real problem with abortion is always rooted in their fear and hatred of women.

by Anonymousreply 13909/08/2013

[quote]So then you're pro-choice!

r131, My point was that I'm prochoice and I don't think the people who think laws should force women to carry every fetus to term should get to own the term 'prolife'.

I'm all for life. If I believe women should get to make the decision it doesn't make me not pro-life.

The false dichotomy in terms cedes too much to the right wing.

by Anonymousreply 14109/15/2013

Wow, a thread where people argue about abortion!

by Anonymousreply 14309/27/2013

Yes, we really ought to have more arguments about abortion. They're so fruitful (pardon the pun). They've accomplished so much in these past 40 years.

by Anonymousreply 14409/27/2013

wow. interesting tags, webmaster!

by Anonymousreply 14509/27/2013

by Anonymousreply 14610/13/2014

R148 Freedom of choice. Something all people care about, not just "fags" and the a-holes who like using that word

by Anonymousreply 14910/26/2014

happy now, OP?

by Anonymousreply 15111/11/2014

I'm pro-intelligence and I vote. So?

by Anonymousreply 15211/11/2014

The big irony is that most people who are "pro-life" are also pro death penalty. I'm guessing that issue wasn't as much of a crowd gatherer to get votes for their candidates when the Family Research Council came up with their list of decisive issues to snare single-issue voters back in the 70s. Abortion, gay rights (or our right to simply live), and prayer in public schools apparently did the trick.

It's all smoke and mirrors. US Congressman Scott DesJarlais from TN is one fervent anti-abortion legislator. However, that didn't stop him from pressuring his wife and mistress to have several abortions. And, he won re-election by a landslide this month in an extremely conservative state.

Stay away from the Kool-Aid.

by Anonymousreply 15311/11/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!