Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Variety says Alfree Woodard shines in 12 Days a Slave!!!!

Wouldn't it be cool if she beats the O for Best Supporting Actress!!! O couldn't even yell racism!

(and O beat out Alfree for the role of Sophia in The Color Purple!)

Sweet revenge for Alfree!

by Wasn't Alfree to thin for the role anyway?reply 7909/10/2013

It's Alfre. And she should have three Oscars by now.

by Wasn't Alfree to thin for the role anyway?reply 108/31/2013

Yes, she needs an Oscar because she's a great actress? What's the deal with giving people like Octavia whatshername an Oscar when Woodard doesn't have one?

by Wasn't Alfree to thin for the role anyway?reply 208/31/2013

Still think her performance in" Crooklyn" should of gotten her at least a nom.

by Wasn't Alfree to thin for the role anyway?reply 308/31/2013

...because she's a great actress.

by Wasn't Alfree to thin for the role anyway?reply 408/31/2013

and Passion Fish was a great performance too....Cross Creek is just wondrful stuff....when she runs out to see Steenburgen after Steenburgen has been out on the lake all night, wonderful stuff

by Wasn't Alfree to thin for the role anyway?reply 508/31/2013

Spencer herself got good reviews for Snowpiercer and Fruitvale Station. Naomie Harris looks strong as Winnie Mandela in the trailer I saw the other night. This will be a good year for African-American actresses.

by Wasn't Alfree to thin for the role anyway?reply 608/31/2013

We should take the Oscars of Hilary Swank, Paul Haggis, Roberto Benigni, Kevin Costner, Cher, Penelope Cruz and Marlee Marlin and redistribute the wealth Robin Hood style.

Mostly Hilary Swank.

by Wasn't Alfree to thin for the role anyway?reply 708/31/2013

Cher was good in Moonstruck.

Turn in your gay card r7.

by Wasn't Alfree to thin for the role anyway?reply 808/31/2013

Please take Kevin Costner's dancing with wolves Oscar and give it to Martin Scorsese for Goodfellas. That is all.

by Wasn't Alfree to thin for the role anyway?reply 908/31/2013

Start your own Oscar swapping thread, this is about Alfre!!!!!!!!

by Wasn't Alfree to thin for the role anyway?reply 1008/31/2013

What about my Oscar?

by Wasn't Alfree to thin for the role anyway?reply 1108/31/2013

Alfre Woodard on Her Home State of Oklahoma

by Wasn't Alfree to thin for the role anyway?reply 1208/31/2013

Alfre is a tremendous actress who deserves an Oscar.

She never hits a false note. Never. Not even when she was on 'Saint Elsewhere' did she hit a false note.

Alfre motherfucking Woodard deserves an Oscar whereas Oprah wants to buy one.

by Wasn't Alfree to thin for the role anyway?reply 1308/31/2013

[quote]She never hits a false note. Never. Not even when she was on 'Saint Elsewhere' did she hit a false note.

Why do you single out St. Elsewhere? Was that a bad show?

by Wasn't Alfree to thin for the role anyway?reply 1408/31/2013

I'm coming for you bitch.....

by Wasn't Alfree to thin for the role anyway?reply 1508/31/2013

Viola's time will come. I'd never even heard of her until The Help two years ago. Alfre's been around for ages putting in really fine performances, she's more than overdue.

Oprah should be happy to even attend the Oscars. (loved you though in The Butler, O)

by Wasn't Alfree to thin for the role anyway?reply 1608/31/2013

poor bitter Viola.

Doesn't she realize most white actresses of a certain age (me excluded) don't work either?

Oprah looks like she wants to smack her.

by Wasn't Alfree to thin for the role anyway?reply 1708/31/2013

I never really noticed before but Viola seems kind of butch.

Did she play field hockey in high school?

by Wasn't Alfree to thin for the role anyway?reply 1808/31/2013

I've seen Viola up close. Very pretty and doesn't relax her hair. Fine ass husband, too. I certainly didn't get a Jada me Will vibe from them. She hates the publicity machine which is probably why her career has been a slow ascension.

by Wasn't Alfree to thin for the role anyway?reply 1908/31/2013

Dear Marisa--You wre very deserving, as comedy is usually overlooked. Also, all those Brits were shocked when you won.

by Wasn't Alfree to thin for the role anyway?reply 2008/31/2013

12 DAYS a slave ?

It's still traumatic, but at least his children should recognize him when he comes home...

by Wasn't Alfree to thin for the role anyway?reply 2108/31/2013

Actually she was mocked for her over publicizing and over zealous Tony and Oscar Campaigns. Turned Oscar people off and they voted for M.

by Wasn't Alfree to thin for the role anyway?reply 2208/31/2013

You've got to be kidding, R22. She turned them off but they weren't turned off by Melissa Leo???

by Wasn't Alfree to thin for the role anyway?reply 2308/31/2013

Alfre Woodward pretty much shines in everything she does.

by Wasn't Alfree to thin for the role anyway?reply 2408/31/2013

I mean Viola not Alfre

by Wasn't Alfree to thin for the role anyway?reply 2508/31/2013

Melissa Leo's antics only started late in the balloting season after most people had already voted.

by Wasn't Alfree to thin for the role anyway?reply 2608/31/2013

I bought she should have won for How To Make An American Quilt.

by Wasn't Alfree to thin for the role anyway?reply 2708/31/2013

She was particularly good in Heart and Souls. The emotional scene where she finds her son:

by Wasn't Alfree to thin for the role anyway?reply 2808/31/2013

Bitches, PLEASE!

by Wasn't Alfree to thin for the role anyway?reply 2909/01/2013

[quote]Not even when she was on 'Saint Elsewhere' did she hit a false note.

I disagree.

by Wasn't Alfree to thin for the role anyway?reply 3009/01/2013

Won't O get an underserving Oscar nomination in the Best Actress category?

I was not impressed with her or The Butler..

I hate how Octavia, Hilary and Marissa get bad Oscar reps....

by Wasn't Alfree to thin for the role anyway?reply 3109/01/2013

All the pre-Oscar advertising is pushing Oprah for a supporting nomination.

by Wasn't Alfree to thin for the role anyway?reply 3209/01/2013

Well, she's been supporting ME for decades.

by Wasn't Alfree to thin for the role anyway?reply 3309/01/2013

R7, Swank actually deserves her Oscars. She has been amazing, like out of this world amazing, in exactly two roles, and shitty in everything else. But she earned those Oscars.

But I agree with everyone else. Woodard is simply one of the best actresses of her generation. Easily.

by Wasn't Alfree to thin for the role anyway?reply 3409/01/2013

Wasn't it LA Law where she played a cancer victim suing for something?

I only vaguely remember the show but I remember her being brilliant.

by Wasn't Alfree to thin for the role anyway?reply 3509/01/2013

"Miss Ever's Boys" is on You Tube for anyone who hasn't seen it. Her performance is stunning. You will weep. The Tuskegee experiments, fictionalized through one woman's life. "They were susceptible to kindness."

Alfre Woodard should have played Tina Turner too. I guess it is debatable, but I know I am right. Angela Bassett was not alive or musical in the body of Tina Turner, though she acted scenes very well. Alfree was the better choice, but I guess not pretty enough or box office. She looks more like Tina than Bassett does and is a much better actress... I digress.

She is a great actress, a bit painterly, but there is a beating heart in all of her performances. You don't always get this with the classically trained greats. She is one of them, along with Meryl and Viola of course.

I can't wait to see 12 Days a Slave. I don't care who wins Academy Awards, but Woodard has the power, grace, humanity and talent to overcome more expected winners. She would like it I am sure. I think Blanchett has already won.

by Wasn't Alfree to thin for the role anyway?reply 3609/01/2013

on a side note I never understood why Angela Basset got so buff for that role,Tina Turner was never cut like that.

by Wasn't Alfree to thin for the role anyway?reply 3709/01/2013

Sorry, bitches; you know exactly who's hot right now. If anyone wins for 12 Days, it's going to be me.

by Wasn't Alfree to thin for the role anyway?reply 3809/01/2013

Actually the reviews say Michael Fassbender is a lock for a supporting nod

by Wasn't Alfree to thin for the role anyway?reply 3909/01/2013

It's 12 Years a Slave.

by Wasn't Alfree to thin for the role anyway?reply 4009/01/2013

Whoops! Thank you, r40; it's so hard to keep my many star turns straight.

by Wasn't Alfree to thin for the role anyway?reply 4109/01/2013

Lupita Nyong'o is said to be stunning in the film. Is she brand new? Never heard of her.

by Wasn't Alfree to thin for the role anyway?reply 4209/01/2013

Nyong'o plays a suicidal young slave girl named Patsey, the primary target of Fassbender's evil plantation owner. It's her film debut. Hello Oscar.

by Wasn't Alfree to thin for the role anyway?reply 4309/01/2013

Note to all white actors: none of you will win an Oscar this year. This is the year of the black performer. Not only were their performances excellent, but we will feel good about giving them a prize to make up for Trayvon and to try to calm down all of the racial unrest. Engrave " The Butler" Oscar now.

by Wasn't Alfree to thin for the role anyway?reply 4409/01/2013

Alfre steals the show in "Miss Firecracker."

The whole cast is wonderful, but I got such a kick out of "Popeye."

by Wasn't Alfree to thin for the role anyway?reply 4509/01/2013

Let's not forget her stunning performance in STAR TREK: FIRST CONTACT, when she tells off Picard and "breaks his little ships".

by Wasn't Alfree to thin for the role anyway?reply 4609/01/2013

We have a 12 years shill now?

by Wasn't Alfree to thin for the role anyway?reply 4709/01/2013

Lupita is a friend of a friend. My friend says she finished some movie with Liam Neeson but she's in a weird phase right now where she needs to wait for the 12 years hoopla to start before she starts getting sent the good stuff (or whatever it is that passes for good stuff for black actresses).

She and her team know the part is a breakout, but that whatever comes next is as equally important to her career.

by Wasn't Alfree to thin for the role anyway?reply 4809/01/2013

Michael Fassbender had some nice things to say about Lupita:

[quote]Speaking of making the most of an opportunity, Fassbender was quick to note how impressed he was by newcomer Lupita N'yongo, who revs into an equally intense portrayal. "She came into the first rehearsal that we did and she just gave it everything and had the courage to lay it on the table, and perhaps fall flat on her face, but go for it," he said. "I was like, 'Shit, I better do my homework. This is the hunger of somebody new, somebody seeing the opportunity and taking it with both hands.'

by Wasn't Alfree to thin for the role anyway?reply 4909/01/2013

[quote]Still think her performance in" Crooklyn" should of

OH MY!

by Wasn't Alfree to thin for the role anyway?reply 5009/01/2013

It's refreshing to hear somebody like Fassbender say that. I find in London when I go into a rehearsal room like that, the British actors are really intimidated and start wrong-footing their performance to ruin and upstage mine. Then the work becomes more of a tug of war.

I really long to get a better grade of work and work with truly creative people rather than those clawing away at the bottom rung of the ladder.

by Wasn't Alfree to thin for the role anyway?reply 5109/01/2013

OP, I read the review.

First of all, the movie is called 12 Years A Slave.

Second, although I don't doubt Woodard might be very good in the movie (she's a great actress after all), the review barely mentions her.

But you've probably just succeeded at putting the idea into everyone's head that Woodard's performance in the movie is very significant and will get oscar buzz.

This is DL, where all it takes is a headline for people to adopt its premise and run with it.

by Wasn't Alfree to thin for the role anyway?reply 5209/01/2013

Most of reviews talk mainly about Lupita Nyong'o and Sarah Paulson in supporting female roles. I'm not saying that Alfre is not great in the movie, but she is not talked about in reviews as a potential nominee.

Most reviewers talk mainly about Ejiofor for Best Actor, Fassbender for Best Supporting Actor, Nyong'o for Best Supporting Actress and sometimes they add Paulson in the mix.

by Wasn't Alfree to thin for the role anyway?reply 5309/01/2013

R13 She was great in St Elsewhere. She was totally wasted on Desperate Housewives though. You would have thought when they had an actress of that cailbre they could get together and write her some much better material.

by Wasn't Alfree to thin for the role anyway?reply 5409/01/2013

Alfre is now appearing in the BBC America series "Copper" -- a truly mediocre show that is elevated to something more whenever her character speaks.

by Wasn't Alfree to thin for the role anyway?reply 5509/01/2013

Wall Street Journal Blog: Alfre Woodard on the Business of Bondage and 'Twelve Years A Slave'

by Wasn't Alfree to thin for the role anyway?reply 5609/01/2013

Hattie-first African American winner-slave/housekeeper

Alfre-nominated-housekeeper

Oprah-nominated-housekeeper

Whoopi-nominated-housekeeper

Viola-nominated-housekeeper

Octavia-winner-housekeeper

Alfre and Lupita-slave/housekeeper

Hmmmm.....

by Wasn't Alfree to thin for the role anyway?reply 5709/01/2013

Rarely do we see white domestic workers being portrayed in the movies?

by Wasn't Alfree to thin for the role anyway?reply 5809/01/2013

To be fair movies about Af Am slavery and Af Am servitude are like Holocaust movies:

It's the United States' defining trauma and an ongoing culture of victimization, the perennial appeal of the slave master villain, and an American desire to have entertainment mixed with education.

by Wasn't Alfree to thin for the role anyway?reply 5909/01/2013

Forgot:

Halle-winner-housekeeper

by Wasn't Alfree to thin for the role anyway?reply 6009/01/2013

Ethel Waters-nominated-housekeeper

by Wasn't Alfree to thin for the role anyway?reply 6109/01/2013

Juanita Moore-nominated-housekeeper/maid

by Wasn't Alfree to thin for the role anyway?reply 6209/01/2013

Halle Berry played a waitress. Whoopi and Oprah married into the farm in The Color Purple. If you're going to be a rag and say something unimportant about film acting, then get you're shit right. We're looking at human characters here, not professionals.

by Wasn't Alfree to thin for the role anyway?reply 6309/01/2013

I believe Lupita N. will win the supporting actress oscar. It sounds like a heartbreakingly poignant role. If she nails it at all, sounds like the oscar is hers to lose.

by Wasn't Alfree to thin for the role anyway?reply 6409/03/2013

Whoopi won as a psychic.

by Wasn't Alfree to thin for the role anyway?reply 6509/03/2013

In retrospect, Alfre would have made a much better Sophia. Oprah played her too broadly.

by Wasn't Alfree to thin for the role anyway?reply 6609/03/2013

Oprahs only a housekeeper in the sense of being a housewife in The Butler.

by Wasn't Alfree to thin for the role anyway?reply 6709/03/2013

I wonder if Alfre is related to Joanne Woodard?

Wasn't Joanne's father supposedly one half (or one quarter) black? She might be Alfre's aunt, or cousin!

by Wasn't Alfree to thin for the role anyway?reply 6809/03/2013

[quote] Most reviewers talk mainly about Ejiofor for Best Actor, Fassbender for Best Supporting Actor, Nyong'o for Best Supporting Actress and sometimes they add Paulson in the mix.

True. I've never seen anyone else singled out. It must infuriate the Cumberbatchians!

by Wasn't Alfree to thin for the role anyway?reply 6909/03/2013

alfre and charlayne woodard are half-cousin, and half niece respectively of joanne woodard.

by Wasn't Alfree to thin for the role anyway?reply 7009/03/2013

[all posts by right wing shit-stain # a removed.]

by Wasn't Alfree to thin for the role anyway?reply 7109/08/2013

I love Alfree. She's one of my favorite actresses and she's so underrated. If she beats out Oprah she may never work again.

by Wasn't Alfree to thin for the role anyway?reply 7209/09/2013

"Hattie-first African American winner-slave/housekeeper

Alfre-nominated-housekeeper

Oprah-nominated-housekeeper

Whoopi-nominated-housekeeper

Viola-nominated-housekeeper

Octavia-winner-housekeeper

Alfre and Lupita-slave/housekeeper"

Whoopi won for playing a psychic, Mo'nique won for playing a non-domestic crazy monster of a mother, Halle won for playing a woman who was not a housekeeper, Oprah was nominated first for playing a woman who was not a domestic and if nominated again this year it will be for a performance as a woman who was not a domestic, Angela and Diana were nominated for playing musical stars, Dorothy was nominated for playing a woman who works in a tobacco factory (originally a role for a white woman), Viola was nominated first for playing a mother of a boy believed to be abused and nominated second for playing a domestic employee, Beah Richards was nominated for playing a mother, not a domestic employee, Neither Gabourey nor Quvenzhane were playing domestic employees, they were playing kids, Cicely was nominated for playing a sharecropper family mother.

But don't let anything like the facts stop you, especially when you are making a ridiculous point. I'm not sure if it's that there shouldn't be movies about slaves and domestic employees who are black women, or that when black women play this roles well they shouldn't be rewarded with nominations or oscars - but either way it's pretty fucking ridiculous.

by Wasn't Alfree to thin for the role anyway?reply 7309/10/2013

I'd rather play a maid than be one.

by Wasn't Alfree to thin for the role anyway?reply 7409/10/2013

Latifah played "the biggest mother.... hen."

by Wasn't Alfree to thin for the role anyway?reply 7509/10/2013

I'm glad to see some love here for Alfre Woodard. She is consistently great.

by Wasn't Alfree to thin for the role anyway?reply 7609/10/2013

She really is great. Hasn't had the career she deserved but I suppose she's not the only one, dumb ol' Hollywood.

by Wasn't Alfree to thin for the role anyway?reply 7709/10/2013

Do you think Michael Fassbender slipped her the Fassaconda? She looks a little dizzy.

by Wasn't Alfree to thin for the role anyway?reply 7809/10/2013

Is Fassbender 20 years older than Alfré?

by Wasn't Alfree to thin for the role anyway?reply 7909/10/2013
Need more help? Click Here.