Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Any of you cunts do this?

by Anonymousreply 7712/25/2014

I do a local version that is somewhat easier. Lots of cross fit gyms are big into the paleo diet. And many personal trainers train at Crossfit. Seems like it is more for someone w moderate exercise experience. I certainly would not start an exercise routine as a beginner going to Crossfit.

by Anonymousreply 108/31/2013

I looked into it but it was surprisingly expensive, I wasn't willing to spend the money. And you don't actually get gym access outside of class time.

by Anonymousreply 208/31/2013

It's too hard on your body. People don't need to work that hard to get fit or look good. Same with triatheletes. It's an ego thing.

by Anonymousreply 308/31/2013

Terrible on your joints. No thanks, I plan on being able to walk when I'm 70

by Anonymousreply 408/31/2013

by Anonymousreply 508/31/2013

I tried it once. Ouch! It killed me.

Took a couple days to recover.

by Anonymousreply 608/31/2013

I'm curious about it - I was thinking about taking a class or two to try it out.

I'm relatively fit - but I am in my mid 40's and I don't want to stress anything.

What exercises do they do?

by Anonymousreply 708/31/2013

Yes, I'd be happy to take a cross and shove it up your ass until you die, OP CUNT.

by Anonymousreply 808/31/2013

Box jumps, clean and press, thrusters, push ups, running, row machine , kettle bells

by Anonymousreply 908/31/2013

I don't do their weight training stuff. Too harsh. But some of their cross training and cardio workouts are great.

by Anonymousreply 1008/31/2013

Thanks R9 - I already do 2/3 of that already.

I'll still see what it's all about, but it doesn't sound earth-shattering.

The box jumps have me nervous - that's not good for the joints. Same goes for clean and press. That's an easy way to hurt yourself.

I don't need to impress anyone - I'm pretty fit already.

by Anonymousreply 1108/31/2013

I watched the Cross Fit games on ESPN, and the people who do this are nuts. It's almost cultish.

by Anonymousreply 1208/31/2013

I've done it. I solely did it so I can hang with all the hot shirtless men.

I admit that when people weren't watching or noticing, I half assed all the exercises. I didn't want to be in too much pain the next day.

by Anonymousreply 1309/01/2013

R12 hit the nail on the head. Crossfit fanatics act like they're in some sort of cult. It's pretty off-putting.

by Anonymousreply 1409/01/2013

I did a little research on it. A man died after doing one of their recommended workouts, and his family sued them. They turned around and renamed the workout after the man who'd died as a "fuck you" to his family.

Sorry, I'll pass!

by Anonymousreply 1509/01/2013

Definitely overrated.

The workouts they give you really aren't enough to give you the body you want. It did not particularly help me reduce body fat.

Not only that, I threw my back out a few times.

by Anonymousreply 1609/01/2013

I've seen a handful of friends/acquaintances suffer horrible injuries due to CrossFit. Your average, in-shape 34 year-old should not tear an Achilles tendon during a fitness workout.

Oh, and plenty of people in it will admit it's a cult.

by Anonymousreply 1709/01/2013

It's a douchebag thing, right? All the people I know that are into it are douchey.

by Anonymousreply 1809/01/2013

5-3-1 - is that healthy? I'm assuming that's reps.

That sounds dangerous.

by Anonymousreply 1909/01/2013

I tried. They are very cult like, and it is really expensive. Also, if you have any sort of injuries or back issues it's probably not a good way to work out. The people there are usually not trained to work with injuries, so the likelihood of further injury is high (IMO). Instead, I found a personal trainer who specializes in working with people who have back problems, which is my issue. Much better investment of time and money.

As an aside, I also took a close look at the types of bodies the people going there had. Muscular shoulders, chests and thighs with thick, often flabby mid-sections. They all look like Russian weight lifters, even the women. Not the look I want.

by Anonymousreply 2009/01/2013

This will sound funny but I lost a friend to Crossfit.

She started taking classes, got totally wrapped up in it and us now a trainer. She only hangs out with Crossfit people now and she never talks to her old group of friends.

Total cult.

by Anonymousreply 2109/01/2013

Oh good! There's a thread for this subject already. Okay, this is what I don't get:

50 push ups 40 squats 30 burpees 20 situps

Do the cycle 3 or 4 times, as fast as you can, and 3 times/week.

Besides not seeing more heart attacks why am I seeing all of these fat bitches? I would think that this type of workout would shred the shit out of your body! As someone pointed out a lot of the women are not lean but bulky looking. The guys are all looking pretty good. Of the ones that I have seen they all had butts that were hard and round. Jennifer Lopez would have her feelings hurt by theses asses! Yet, a lot of the guys still did not have the six pack abs. Is diet that much of an issue?

by Anonymousreply 2209/05/2013

I think it works for some, R22, but not for all. When I dd it, all I got was pain. I do TRX with my trainer as well as some other isometric type exercises and get a much better workout. And with the TRX all I do is 10 reps of each exercise. When I did crossfit, the emphasis was on repetition and going hard, not about proper form. Like I said, I believe the likelihood of injury with crossfit can be high if you're not already in pretty good shape.

by Anonymousreply 2309/05/2013

Where the hell did Crossfit come from? And why are there 3 gyms within a mile of my place?

And don't you piss blood after workouts?

by Anonymousreply 2404/06/2014

Omigod, they're all such douches. Are there that many douches in the world? And it is culty as all fuck.

by Anonymousreply 2504/06/2014

[quote]I'm curious about it - I was thinking about taking a class or two to try it out.

You can't take a class or two without passing a test first. They don't want you getting hurt. The test costs $200 and takes 2 weeks.

by Anonymousreply 2704/07/2014

[quote]50 push ups 40 squats 30 burpees 20 situps. Do the cycle 3 or 4 times, as fast as you can, and 3 times/week.

I can do this at home. Why do I have to pay someone $150 a week to do this? Just so I can do it with other people?

by Anonymousreply 2804/07/2014

Did you guys see the video of the Crossfit Games where a competitor tried to do a deadlift and snapped his spine in half?

by Anonymousreply 2904/07/2014

This is the what the creator of CrossFit looks like.

by Anonymousreply 3004/07/2014

Obviously CrossFit is very effective if you look like this.

by Anonymousreply 3104/07/2014

Do not cross CrossFit!

by Anonymousreply 3204/07/2014

Crossfit is fascinating, in a bad way. It's Ayn Rand back from the dead with olympic bars and kettlebells being thrown around with no concern for form. Of course, a fully-indoctrinated CF'er would take that as the highest compliment.

It's all about how heavy, how fast, how many reps, etc. Momentum is a good thing. The video below could be subtitled: Duuuude, you shoulda been at the fucking box today, bro. I smashed a hundred pull-ups, bro! Personal responsibility! Bacon! John Galt, FTW! Bulletproof coffee! Bacon! Free markets! Bacon!

No, those are not pull-ups.

Further, it tends to produce farmer bodies with thick, ugly midsections.

by Anonymousreply 3304/07/2014

The first that comes to mind about crossfit is rhabdomyolysis. When you exercise far too much

"damaged skeletal muscle tissue breaks down rapidly. Breakdown products of damaged muscle cells are released into the bloodstream; some of these, such as the protein myoglobin, are harmful to the kidneys and may lead to kidney failure."

That was from Wikipedia but I've read couple of good articles about it. This one's pretty good where writer tells about his friend who got the condition from crossfit:

"While in the hospital, she called to cancel her CrossFit membership. As is standard when something is cancelled, the CrossFit coach asked the reason for her decision. She replied, "I'm in the hospital." The instructor quickly asked, "Is it rhabdo?"

"And here we have arrived at CrossFit's dirty little secret. The coach was unusually familiar with what is normally a very rarely seen disorder. It's so rare that one study reported the overall annual incidence of rhabdomyolysis to be 0.06 percent. That represents single digits of cases out of hundreds of thousands of patients. How, I wondered, is it possible that the layperson exercise instructor is on a first-name basis with a serious, yet rare medical condition? Is this a thing with CrossFit? It turns out it is."

If you don't want to read the article here's what happened to his friend in the end:

"My friend experienced a similar, though thankfully less severe long term effect. It's been several months and her triceps strength is not back to normal. Her sculpted arms are gone, replaced by semi-swollen jiggly tissue. Once a muscle tears, damaged, fatty scar tissue replaces the injured muscle tissue. The result is a permanently damaged muscle, and a decreased ability to strength train. The irony of pushups causing flabby arms underscores the age-old mantra: There really is too much of a good thing."

by Anonymousreply 3404/07/2014

Oh, come now. A date with Uncle Rhabdo is a badge of honor! So what if you end up with scarred kidneys and chronic renal failure? Today -- well, as soon as you're released from the ICU -- you're a WOD smashing machine!

by Anonymousreply 3504/07/2014

They posted this weird thing about polygamous Mormons doing crossfit on their Facebook page yesterday. Lots of people complained and Gawker picked it up but the post is still on their FB page with a ton of angry comments.

I know a gay dude who does this with his partner. They're douches but I can't believe they support it.

by Anonymousreply 3604/18/2014

I did it for two months. It really did work. But, it's just the same principle as PX90 or Insanity - keep the heart rate up, exercise at higher intensity for shorter periods -- instead of slogging through a long run or a long time on a machine.

A lot of people have trouble getting that intensity on their own.

It can be hard on the body. The gym I was at was obsessed with incorporating squats into the daily routine, and there's a lot of jumping and things that can be hard on the joints.

It really does have its good and bad points. And, Crossfit gyms can vary drastically. It is expensive and that's why I stopped.

by Anonymousreply 3704/18/2014

[quote]Any of you cunts do this?

Did it once. Might have heard of it. Hello? Nothing? Today's Good Friday for Dad's sake? Ring any bells for you?

by Anonymousreply 3804/18/2014

It's a fad with a cult like following. A lot of it are insufferable runners.

I'm sick of hearing about it. Go the fuck to the gym, do some weights, add a Spin class or jump around your stupid 'CrossFit' club if you must, but stop making an embarrassment of yourself.

by Anonymousreply 3904/18/2014

I slap people's faces for that extra burn

by Anonymousreply 4004/18/2014

It's old fashioned multi-level marketing offered to a slightly different audience than the Pampered Chef crowd.

by Anonymousreply 4104/18/2014

I wasn't aware that there was a multi-level marketing aspect to it.

Are members really required to recruit? Are classes or other participation mandatory on some level?

When people call it a cult I just assumed they meant the obsessive, indoctrinated mindset of the adherents.

Is it *really* a cult?

I have to admit it fascinates me on a weird level. I go to the gym alone, block out about 90 minutes to do what I gotta do, which is entirely tailored to the realities of my 45 year old body and my heriditary joint disease. Oh and I have my headphones on the entire time.

I love my gym routine. Crossfit looks like a sick version of hell to me, yet I see people on Facebook posting about it like it saved their life.

Just weird.

by Anonymousreply 4204/18/2014

[quote]Today's Good Friday for Dad's sake?

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 4304/18/2014

I am a female, and did crossfit for a month. I hated the way that the trainers were always pushing for over the top heavy lifting. I now do FIT classes and love it. A lot of crossfitters are moving to FIT because it produces lean muscle without bulk. We do lots of varied circuits with light to moderate weight.

by Anonymousreply 4404/18/2014

Why "oh, dear" R43? The author was Jesus.

by Anonymousreply 4504/18/2014

A cult-like fitness regime (not regimen) which appeals largely to extroverts and type-A personalities. I know a guy who left a solid job as an engineer to open a gym with some friends.

And yes, it's insanely expensive. And yes, you can only go for class sessions. And yes, as someone with lower back trouble I steer clear of it. And yes, it's just stupid. I'd rather do the Navy SEAL workout if I were going to pick a defined regimen.

by Anonymousreply 4604/18/2014

U gays must be poor if this is too expensive for U

by Anonymousreply 4704/18/2014

You must be stupid if you can't type two more letters, R47.

by Anonymousreply 4804/18/2014

LOL, R48!

by Anonymousreply 4904/18/2014

One just opened near me. It looks like a real shit hole, but I looked into it and it was VERY expensive.

by Anonymousreply 5004/18/2014

R46, I have noticed all of the A type personalities as well. I am an introvert, and stick out like a sore thumb, because I don't talk to anyone. Luckily, the trainer pairs us up with partners when we have to do group work, so I don't have to stand there awkwardly. I would really prefer to work out alone, but I find that I work harder when I have someone else to compete with. There is a happy hour for the entire crossfit/FIT once a month, and most people go. It would be a great way to meet people, if you were so inclined. My gym is only $130 a month, and that includes crossfit, FIT, and yoga.

by Anonymousreply 5104/18/2014

My girlfriend's ex is obsessed with Crossfit. She finds Crossfit gyms when she travels abroad on vacation! Her on-off girlfriend won't join the cult, so now she's trying to get my girlfriend into it, I'm sure hoping they'll be sweaty gym buddies together. Ex has got serious body issues and a longtime drinking problem, very addictive and obsessive. Crossfit suits her personality. But it doesn't suit her desire to be shaped less like a refrigerator box. She starting to look like a square in a Lady Godiva wig.

by Anonymousreply 5206/27/2014

I keep hearing that Crossfit is expensive, but how much does it exactly cost? Can someone please provide some specific figures? TIA!

by Anonymousreply 5306/27/2014

Before you jump into it, read this article.

by Anonymousreply 5406/27/2014

Crossfit folks are stupid as shit.

Here is one of them doing "pull ups". Yes, that's how they do pull ups. They call it kipping and think it's okay to do them this way. Fucking idiots just looking to damage their bodies.

by Anonymousreply 5506/29/2014

"Normal" gyms are sleazy. They only care about increasing membership, and once the owners hit their membership goals, they sell it to someone else while they do the same.

by Anonymousreply 5606/29/2014

Gyms are terrible investments. Like R56 says, they are investment schemes that have high turnover rates.

And the fees--insurance, government regulations, the potential liability--it's a full time job without profit for at least five years.

by Anonymousreply 5706/29/2014

Amway that sweats.

by Anonymousreply 5806/29/2014

Tried it. Have arthritis in my back, and thought it would be a good way to quickly build up my back muscles and core. Wrong. It was all about ego and pushing yourself to be better than anyone else, and it's really, really, really bad if you have back or joint problems - makes it worse. Instead, I went to a trainer who introduced me to TRX - much better and safer. I do that with elliptical - great way to work out and get toned. My physiotherapist warned me, too, that it's not about intensity - it's about proper form and slowly building up your capacity, not pushing beyond it in an intense way. Crossfit was horrible. Plus, the 'Crossfit cultists' all had the same body shape - overbuilt shoulders and chests, doughy mid-sections and overbuilt thighs. Like Russian body builders. Even the women. Not the look I'm going for...

by Anonymousreply 5906/29/2014

Crossfit is dangerous and it's why, I, as a physical therapist, am making money on these fools when they hurt themselves.

by Anonymousreply 6006/29/2014

I've tried it twice. The intensity is not just for me. I believe you should listen to your body, and when your body is telling you that; "you really need to sit your ass down and rest a spell," you ought to listen!

Then it comes to the weights. A lot of it is probably me, but I don't think you should be lifting really heavy without having someone near who is spotting you. There are too many people in each class, and the trainer/supervisor cannot possibly monitor everyone that closely. I just think many of their exercises are just too dangerous to do without proper supervision.

I have a female friend who swears by it, (she's definitely been indoctrinated into the cult), and for her it has worked. She "leaned" down, but as others have pointed out, she's developing a bulky look. It's not just the added muscle, but it seems as if it's something else. She's starting to look disportionate.

But, what I really wanted to point out is that here, in NYC, "CrossFit Hell's Kitchen" had a float in the recent gay pride parade. I don't know if the owner, Anthony, is gay (he definitely has an ass to die for), but I thought that was a very nice gesture towards our community. Given all the gyms that we gays support here, I'm surprised that other gyms i.e. Crunch, Equinox, NYSC, and especially David Barton, did not have representation. Also, "CFHK" really promoted its participation in the parade:

CrossFit Hell’s Kitchen PROUD TO ANNOUNCE WE ARE HAVING A FLOAT FOR THE NYC GAY PRIDE MARCH SUNDAY JUNE 29th ALL are welcome to ride the float and support the community! Invite your friends!

Also; This Sunday June 29th we are proud to have our first float in the NYC Pride March. If anyone wants to march/ride the float and has not RSVP’d me or hasn’t received the information of where and when to meet, contact me ASAP: Of course ALL are welcome, friends, lesbians, gays, bi’s, transgenders, intersexual and questioning as well as all of the straights/breeders and anyone who supports the Pride Community.

This meant a lot to me. Although I'm not going to do CrossFit ever again, I'm definitely going to try and figure out something to throw some business towards this company's way.

by Anonymousreply 6106/30/2014

Just join a boxing club. You'll get in amazing shape, with much less chance of injury. Plus you get to smack people around!

by Anonymousreply 6207/02/2014

If someone does crossfit and doesn't constantly post about it on facebook, have they really worked out? It's a strange little community. I followed a fb friend who is into crossfit other crossfit open profiles and it looks like 4 of its pregnant practitioners had dangerously premature babies.

by Anonymousreply 6307/02/2014

And yes, they're all Libertarian douches.

by Anonymousreply 6407/02/2014

People who have psychological issues, they should go into talk therapy instead.

by Anonymousreply 6507/02/2014

On the plus side R64, it seems to be killing them off.

by Anonymousreply 6607/02/2014

It also gives them a "wizened look" to their faces. Like a homeless alkie. It's not even lack of body fat because they do have a thick appearance in the middle. Whoever said "Farmer's Bodies" was right. They also get "Farmer's Faces" like they've been baking out in the sun their whole lives. It happens suddenly though. Within months.

by Anonymousreply 6707/02/2014

Oh and for all of their talk about a "Paleo Lifestyle" (seriously, go to a forum and read threads devoted to "Are Pillows Paleo?" "I sleep in a sandbox with a reed mat but I just can't give up my pillow, I've switched to goose down, which I hand killed but I don't think Grok had pillows.") The only way a caveman would be exerting this amount of energy in such a stupid fashion would be if they were at war. It's incredibly hard and stressful on the body.

by Anonymousreply 6807/02/2014

[quote]People who have psychological issues, they should go into talk therapy instead.

Talk therapy doesn't work.

by Anonymousreply 6907/02/2014

yes, it does

by Anonymousreply 7007/02/2014

Grok lived mostly on bugs and acorns. I still don't get why they haven't embraced this. That's probably why insects didn't overwhelm ancient man: he ate them.

by Anonymousreply 7107/02/2014

I've been thinking of doing Crossfit but I currently work out at a boxing gym and don't want to leave to get into something else. I actually like the way Crossfit females look (I'm a woman) but I tend to like muscular physiques on women anyway.

I think a lot of people don't like Crossfit because they're similar to the majority of gym goers who aren't used to truly intense workouts. Too many people go to the gym to dilly-dally on a cardio machine for 45 minutes or to take a cardio kickboxing class that really isn't all that hard. I like that Crossfit focuses on full body, high-intensity circuit training, which is meant to be killer, get you into shape quickly, and switch things up enough to prevent your body from getting used to it. Personally, I think it's the way workouts should be if your goal is to really get in shape.

by Anonymousreply 7207/02/2014

[quote]My physiotherapist warned me, too, that it's not about intensity - it's about proper form and slowly building up your capacity, not pushing beyond it in an intense way.

I've done physical therapy twice in my life and each time two 30min. sessions twice a week resulted in building lean body mass. And really quickly.

I think doing 20-30min. of muscle exercise five times a week may be better if you want to build and maintain lean muscle tone. In combination with cardio, of course.

Workouts should not be something that take over your day or week.

by Anonymousreply 7307/02/2014

or better said: *working out should not be something that takes over....

by Anonymousreply 7407/02/2014

The two people I know who love Crossfit and have seen great results are both 35ish, short/stumpy build, prone to fat if they don't work out, and put on solid muscle really well if they train hard.

If that's you, great! If not, I'd recommend trying something less physically punishing than Crossfit. I'm tall and skinny and late 40s; I feel like that kind of regimen and intensity would snap me like a fucking twig.

by Anonymousreply 7507/02/2014

R75: That description (prone to fat if I don't work out and put on muscle quickly) fits me quite well, except I'm pretty tall for my gender (5'8").

You might just need to focus less on the HIIT cardio aspect of it and focus more on regular-pace heavy lifting. That'll help with muscle growth.

by Anonymousreply 7607/02/2014

Crossfit gyms vary wildly.

First one I went to was all about pushing extra reps, heavy weight, trainers had no clue what they were doing.

Moved, tried it again - this one the trainers know what they are doing, they scold members for using too much weight, place a big emphasis on form and there's probably a 2:1 trainer to client ratio in most classes. Seen a big improvement in how I look. The people are not obsessed with paleo and posting on Facebook.

But it's a hella workout and definitely not for the types who go to the gym to cruise, do the elliptical slowly and then hit the steam room.

by Anonymousreply 7712/25/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!