Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I miss Smash

I miss the musical numbers (except for the jukebox ones) and Megan, Anjelica, and Christian.

I miss the horrible acting and dancing by McPhee and the cameos and small roles by Broadway people.

I wish Bombshell with Megan would come out on DVD. I would even consider buying The Hit list.

Two seasons was not enough.

by Anonymousreply 5804/29/2014

Even if it hadn't been cancelled it wouldn't be back on the air for another month or more. So how terribly can you be missing it, really?

by Anonymousreply 108/31/2013

I wish I did, but I don't. I would have loved for it to be a good that kept me thinking about it between episodes. As it was, I still have the last several episodes on my dvr, awaiting some weekend when I have nothing better to do with my time.

by Anonymousreply 208/31/2013

When will Bombshell actually hit Broadway?

by Anonymousreply 308/31/2013

I miss it too, even though it was mostly terrible. I liked the Bombshell songs and some of the performers.

There's talk of a concert performance of Bombshell, and if that goes well, who knows...

On YouTube it continues to live on. Lots of young theatre kids loved it and are -- still -- posting vidoes of themselves singing the songs. The karaoke soundtrack for the show has been released, which helps. The dance numbers live on...

by Anonymousreply 408/31/2013

Both seasons are now out on DVD and you can get them from Netflix. Stream to your heart's contents, gays, while I fuck my new boytoy Will Chase. Love you!

by Anonymousreply 508/31/2013

Karen Walker paid for a show (that had been canceled) to stay on the air, just so Olivia could watch it.

Do you have a rich stepmother?

by Anonymousreply 608/31/2013

I loved the show. It was unique. I wish another channel would pick it up.

by Anonymousreply 708/31/2013

Me too.

by Anonymousreply 808/31/2013

I miss the Lindsay Mendez cameo because I like hippos. I hope there is a live action fantasia made for her to star in.

by Anonymousreply 908/31/2013

Me too, OP

by Anonymousreply 1008/31/2013

I miss it also, Songs like they just keep moving the line and I'll hang the moon haunt me, I couldn't stop listening to them... I loved them. I also loved their cover versions of some songs esp Under pressure(I know... I know)

by Anonymousreply 1108/31/2013

Why didn't anyone do a cover of "Don't Stop Believing"?

by Anonymousreply 1208/31/2013

I miss the dreamy Wes Taylor!

by Anonymousreply 1308/31/2013

Ugh.. Broadway queens are the worst. I was a casual viewer, and the show was terrible. It deserved to get cancelled. Get over it already!

by Anonymousreply 1408/31/2013

R12 - Because it has been done before.

by Anonymousreply 1508/31/2013

It HAS, R15?? Really?

by Anonymousreply 1608/31/2013

Megan Hilty and Debra Messing met up at the US Open.

by Anonymousreply 1708/31/2013

People On Streets.

by Anonymousreply 1808/31/2013

I loved that show's original songs

by Anonymousreply 1908/31/2013

McPhee was actually fairly decent in season one. Her face just seemed too botox and immobile in season 2. It was as distracting as the cheap hair extensions they made poor Megan Hilty wear. They Gossip Girl-d the show and ended up ruining it.

by Anonymousreply 2008/31/2013

Hilty also gained weight during season 2, which she has since lost.

by Anonymousreply 2108/31/2013

I love you, R18!

by Anonymousreply 2209/01/2013

[quote]Ugh.. Broadway queens are the worst. I was a casual viewer, and the show was terrible. It deserved to get cancelled. Get over it already!

Actually, Theater Queens hated the show. They were expecting a documentary instead of a nighttime soap based in the theater world. Like the Broadway shows they claim to love, they spent more time criticizing everything they thought was wrong with it (and of course could do better themselves) than actually just sitting back and enjoying it.

by Anonymousreply 2309/01/2013

I loved the Bombshell stuff but hated Hit List and everything that came along with it - ratboy Jeremy Jordan; McPhee's inexplicable devotion to JJ, which only compounded her tendency to mumble and whine; the little gay mouse who lived in the Hoarders loft with JJ; and "The Diva." To this day, I still do not get who or what she was supposed to be or why a Rent-like modern day musical would have a character called "The Diva." Can anyone help me out with that one?

by Anonymousreply 2409/01/2013

Actually the best music came from "Hit List". "I Heard Your Voice In A Dream" and "Broadway Here I Come" are great.

by Anonymousreply 2509/01/2013

I still go to You Tube a couple of times a week for my Hilty dose of "Don't Forget Me." She really sings the shit out of that song. But I don't miss Anjelica and her quarterback shoulders.

by Anonymousreply 2609/01/2013

I am Mary the Theatre Queen. And I fuckin hated this show. Glad it's gone. Oofah

by Anonymousreply 2709/01/2013

Angelica needed a softer look. Bangs don't work on women with strong features

by Anonymousreply 2809/01/2013

OP = Marc Shaiman

Translation: I miss those paychecks!

by Anonymousreply 2909/01/2013

me too OP

by Anonymousreply 3009/01/2013

2 Song Emmy nominations...

Smash Song: Title: Hang The Moon NBC Music & Lyrics by Marc Shaiman,Music & Lyrics by Scott Wittman

Smash: Song Title: "I Hear Your Voice In A Dream" NBC Music & Lyrics by Andrew McMahon

by Anonymousreply 3109/01/2013

I love don't forget me and I'm not sorry as well

by Anonymousreply 3209/01/2013

I agree OP. The 'fake' cast recording for BOMBSHELL is great. I wish they had done a two hour episode of BOMBSHELL the musical from start to finish, in order.

by Anonymousreply 3309/01/2013

Still watching the UK broadcast of Season 2, just finished Episode 7. It is the most ridiculous show. In it's own bid to establish credibility within the industry, it goes for a lot of detail about performance and development...but not enough to actually be credible. Therefore it ends up with a lot of ridiculous dramatic plot developments that couldn't possibly be of any interest to a civilian viewer. (Daniel Sunjata storyline - I'm looking at you. Note to Smash creatives: there really is no drama in dramaturgy.)

In it's own way, Glee did this stuff much better.

The nadir of Smash had to the recent episode where, within a very clunkily written show, the writers were trying to make the audience discern between the poorly written show, the poorly written show within the show AND the poorly written show within the show that they're always trying to convince us is good - the last without even letting us hear a word of the script (Debs' brilliant rewrite of Bombshell), the actors just had to sell it with their reactions. It really was like watching the show almost completely disappear up its own, no doubt waxed and bleached, asshole.

But every week I feel like episodes of Smash could be about 10 minutes longer.

by Anonymousreply 3409/01/2013

R28 - I disagree. Bangs can soften features. Brooke should try them.

by Anonymousreply 3509/01/2013

They should've hired Brooke Shields instead of Debs Messing.

by Anonymousreply 3609/01/2013

Brooke would have been an interesting choice.

by Anonymousreply 3709/01/2013

I miss the show in spite of its problems. It should have been shown on cable.

by Anonymousreply 3809/01/2013

So, since there is a "Cast Recording" of Bombshell - and you can buy the entire score to the fake musical ... how long until someone actually tries to produce BOMBSHELL?

I guess it would still need a book, but I wonder ...

by Anonymousreply 3909/02/2013

[quoteI guess it would still need a book

by Anonymousreply 4009/02/2013

I've never been gayer than when I watch Smash. I don't foresee a Broadway Bombshell. None of the music would be original, therefore it would be shut out of many important Tonys.

by Anonymousreply 4109/02/2013

No way it will happen. If MARC SHAIMAN can't win a Tony and make alot of money, it won't be done. The hacks will just write some more crap for a another bad movie adaptation. Oooh can't wait - maybe Harvey Feirstein will write the book and star and maybe Jerry Mitchell will cho-re-o-graph. I hope it has a sassy black drag queen.

by Anonymousreply 4209/02/2013

[quote]therefore it would be shut out of many important Tonys

Not true at all. Maybe there would be heated debate over Best Original Score - but ALL the other categories would be free and clear.

by Anonymousreply 4309/02/2013

How is it possible for them to win for an original score? Wouldn't they have to write something original, I mean not just a copy of old stuff that was written a long time ago. Original score by Shaiman and Whitman is the oxymoron of the year.

by Anonymousreply 4409/02/2013

I miss Wesley Taylor.

by Anonymousreply 4509/02/2013

I've heard Wesley Taylor is anybody's.

by Anonymousreply 4609/02/2013

I don't miss Angelica either (why did they make her look so bad?) but I do miss her hot boyfriend.

by Anonymousreply 4709/02/2013

R48, you can see him for free on Hulu - sometimes even shirtless. He's back on ALL MY CHILDREN, where he came from...

by Anonymousreply 4809/02/2013

I don't miss Angelica either.

by Anonymousreply 4911/09/2013

Based on the ratings, the people in this thread were the only ones watching.

by Anonymousreply 5011/09/2013

The first season had some sustained moments of brilliance amongst the ridiculous ineptitude.

The second was fucking horrendous. Inaccessible, badly written for those who could access it, and essentially repeated all the problems of the first season while losing the elements and cohesion that made it remotely enjoyable to watch.

I still remember the five minute scene of Tom discussing City of Angels with some producer, with no context, as if the average viewer knew exactly what they were talking about.

Silly, silly writing.

Also, FWIW, I thought Kat McPhee, while hit and miss in her scene work, was pretty great in most of her musical numbers. And her lack of scenery chewing was appreciated in a show full of it. (If I never see Christian Borle on television or film again I will die happy).

The use of auto-tune was also really puzzling, given everyone in the cast bar Deb Messing, Davenport and Huston can actually sing gang-busters.

by Anonymousreply 5111/09/2013

[quote](If I never see Christian Borle on television or film again I will die happy).

Well, there's one person who won't be watching "Maria" Underwood's "The Sound of Music."

by Anonymousreply 5211/09/2013

R49, he's joining the cast of "Bold and Beautiful" soon.

by Anonymousreply 5311/09/2013

It's funny. I hate-watched season 2, bitter that the premise and cast were being wasted. But now...I miss it. And I recently watched some of the season 2 eps that I'd missed and it wasn't nearly as bad as I remembered. Not "good", dear, but not that shitty.

by Anonymousreply 5411/10/2013

Occasionally some Smash songs make it to my Pandora stations and I've been taken with Jeremy Jordon's voice. I didn't appreciate it while watching Smash, but now find his voice amazing. Perfection. What's he doing now?

by Anonymousreply 5511/10/2013

Smash reunion - Kat and Megan.

by Anonymousreply 5604/29/2014

My (R57) that photo line up was a DL dream/nightmare. Deb Messing AND SJP!

I miss Smash, too, but I think we'll see Sutton in her Smash nominated revival of Oliver! or that Harvey Fierstein Winston Churchill musical before we see Bombshell or Hit List on Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 5704/29/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!