Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

David Schwimmer Targeted With 'Ross Is Not Cool' Graffiti Insult By East Village Neighbors

Apparently "Friends" star David Schwimmer is not being welcomed with open arms in New York City's East Village.

An unknown tagger took to the construction zone outside of Schwimmer's newly built mansion on East 6th Street to leave the actor a message, EV Grieve first reported. The message, written in white graffiti, read "Ross Is Not Cool," in reference to his geeky-yet-lovable "Friends" character, Ross Geller. An arrow was drawn beside it pointing to the 46-year-old's home.

According to EV Grieve, the note was spotted Tuesday morning and photographed by a passerby. Workers painted over it later that day.

Tension has been mounting for years between Schwimmer and his East Village neighbors, according to the New York Post. He purchased the five-story townhouse for $4.1 million in 2010 and proceeded to demolish it in order to build a 9,000-square-foot abode. Local residents were peeved because the property, built in 1852, was “one of the finest homes in the East Village" and the oldest on the block. It was even being considered for landmark status.

Other notes have been left for Schwimmer before, like “The destruction of an irreplaceable historic building for what???” and “F**k you + your uglyness [sic].”

This is not the only drama the actor has had to deal with surrounding the construction. Last year, a person was struck by falling debris at the site and taken to the hospital with an arm injury, according to DNAinfo.

A 62-year-old woman named Charlotte, who has lived on the block for 37 years, expressed her anger after the debris episode while speaking with DNAinfo.

"Mr. Bigshot made a mistake tearing down this building," she said. "He paid a pretty penny and built some shiny silver thing. He's like a wart on the block. He doesn't belong here."

by Anonymousreply 10109/04/2013

Who the fuck is this person and why the fuck should I care?

by Anonymousreply 108/30/2013

The property he tore down wasn't particularly outstanding, but the fact that he replaced it with THIS - which looks like something they built in Berlin after the war - shows what a creep he is.

Why would someone move to the East Village if they don't like the way the buildings there look?

by Anonymousreply 408/30/2013

Could he BE any more of a douche?

by Anonymousreply 508/30/2013

Phoebe wouldn't have demolished the old house.

by Anonymousreply 708/30/2013

RIP NYC

by Anonymousreply 808/30/2013

48. I went to Northwestern with him.

by Anonymousreply 908/30/2013

I forgot he's a Chicagoan, the new building does kind of have a sturdy Midwestern vibe.

by Anonymousreply 1008/30/2013

The old house was a dump. The new house is boringly bland. It's unremarkable

by Anonymousreply 1108/30/2013

The old house could have been fixed up. The new house is UGLY.

by Anonymousreply 1208/30/2013

The One Where Ross is Unwelcome.

by Anonymousreply 1308/30/2013

I hate when they tear old buildings down. Usually they're replaced with something butt ugly and with cost-cutting materials. My house is 113 years old and built out of solid redwood framing, solid as a rock.

by Anonymousreply 1508/30/2013

He could have kept the facade and gutted the interior.

by Anonymousreply 1608/30/2013

R16, yep. I cannot stand people without a respect and appreciation for historical architecture, particularly from New York City where so many old structures have been demolished for more modern shithole excretia. Newer is NOT always better. THis is why historical preservation societies exist. That, plus he was just a giant douchebag for being so disrespectful to the aesthetics of an old, historical neighborhood and basically giving the finger to his neighbors. He could have mixed the old with the new and had something wonderful. You don't have to have the community potluck dinners but at least don't fuck with the neighbors. He ruined THEIR views for his own selfish and wholly self-serving reasons.

by Anonymousreply 1808/30/2013

Is there a pic of his new place?

by Anonymousreply 1908/30/2013

R19 There is a link at R4 to a picture. Its really not that bad looking. In fact, its a lot better looking than the neighboring buildings as it doesn't have an ugly ass fire escape hanging on the front.

by Anonymousreply 2008/30/2013

[all posts by right wing shit-stain # a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 2208/30/2013

He is the only Friend who has had NO career to speak of since the show left the air.

All of the other 5 have had multiple TV shows, films, etc. - but Schwimmer's post-show resume is practically non-existent.

How can he afford to demolish and totally rebuild a townhouse in the East Village?

by Anonymousreply 2308/30/2013

R24, he was making 22 million a year for like 7 years. Friends is in syndication, which means he's still making tons and tons of cash every year. No one on Friends ever has to sniff a job again if they don't want to.

My favorite thing about NYC isn't the clubs or restaurants. It's the brownstones. I love them. I'm from LA, and I love our sort of mismatched chaos architecturally. But it isn't NYC. Fuck you Ross. Tear down the inside, rebuild. I get that. But keep the facade.

by Anonymousreply 2508/30/2013

R26? THANK YOU.

by Anonymousreply 2708/30/2013

R27, the resident Republican chimes in.

by Anonymousreply 2808/30/2013

The facade could have been utilized, but he had talentless, lazy architects.

by Anonymousreply 3208/30/2013

[quote]David Schwimmer Targeted With 'Ross Is Not Cool

The thing is, Ross probably would have kept the old house.

by Anonymousreply 3308/30/2013

I hate it when these assholes with more money than sense tear down historic buildings. At least keep the facade. If you want something ultra-modern then buy a condo in one of Manhattan's 10,000 fucking luxury condo buildings that were built within the last 10 years.

by Anonymousreply 3408/30/2013

R36=Mitt Romney

by Anonymousreply 3608/30/2013

R36 is a bitter, jealous flyover queen. SO transparent.

by Anonymousreply 3808/30/2013

Closeted gay too. But one would think he would have more vision.

by Anonymousreply 3908/30/2013

[quote]he was making 22 million a year for like 7 years.

Actually, it was the last two seasons. And why are you calling the building ugly when it looks very similar to the buildings on both sides of it AND it's not even fucking finished yet? Idiots.

by Anonymousreply 4208/30/2013

Have we jumped back to 1997?

by Anonymousreply 4408/31/2013

[quote] And why are you calling the building ugly when it looks very similar to the buildings on both sides of it AND it's not even fucking finished yet?

People are calling it ugly because it is ugly. So what if it isn't finished. It's never going to look nice

by Anonymousreply 4508/31/2013

Schwimmer could have bought a very similar building in Tribeca or Soho.

I guess these Hollywood assholes have so much money, gutting a building they paid 4 million for must make sense in their shallow overly entitled worlds.

Didn't Jennifer Aniston buy an APARTMENT for 40 million in the Village.

IIRC, she then quickly flipped it. It was, of course, huge and a duplex, it was also in the Village.

I laugh at these outrageous prices. A close friend bought a loft for $40,000 on Prince in the early 80s! Another paid $30,000 in the same area.

by Anonymousreply 4708/31/2013

The facade of the building looks like it could be at home on the fake New York set used in Friends.

by Anonymousreply 4808/31/2013

[quote]but his new craptastic Friends money vanity project sandwiched between the other buildings is jarring to the eye, much moreso than the balanced visual aspect of what was there before, shabby as it was

New buildings are always jarring to the eye. I'm in favor of preservation but the old building was unremarkable and the new one is respectful of its context.

The complaints are just resentment.

by Anonymousreply 4908/31/2013

hes the "ugly naked guy" of the East Village

by Anonymousreply 5008/31/2013

If I had that kind of money I'd live in West Village, not East Village.

by Anonymousreply 5108/31/2013

[quote]He OWNED the effin' building. He can do whatever the hell he wants to with his own personal property. Where do people get off telling him what to do with his own house?

That's not how things work in New York or most other old cities. There are laws preserving landmarks and landmark districts. However, this building was not protected and it was not protected for good reason. It's ordinary. Ugly and rundown.

And for those whining about the facade--Is the new building really so much worse than the one to its right? It's not even very different, especially when you realize the other building is also made of brick that someone painted red.

by Anonymousreply 5208/31/2013

I think he's very sexy. I wish he'd ditch his "wife" and marry me instead.

by Anonymousreply 5308/31/2013

One thing he did do is direct an amazing movie called "Trust," about a teen girl whose life is destroyed after an encounter with an online predator. Clive Owen, Maria Bello, and DL Fave Viola Davis also star.

It's a very good movie. Available on Netflix streaming. I was shocked when I found out David Schwimmer directed it.

by Anonymousreply 5409/01/2013

I don't think it looks bad at all. If I had the money I would have torn it down too.. Lord knows what was in those walls.

by Anonymousreply 5509/01/2013

People love to spend other people's money. His property, his money, he can do as he likes.

by Anonymousreply 5609/01/2013

[quote] People love to spend other people's money. His property, his money, he can do as he likes.

Actually in most of New York City's more desirable and expensive neighborhoods it does not work that way.

Strict landmark laws govern aesthetics. Try tearing down a brownstone in a landmarked area of the West Village or the Upper East Side.

He could tear down this building because that location has no laws preventing it.

But "His property, his money, he can do as he likes" does not always apply

by Anonymousreply 5709/01/2013

One kid tagged a wall and it rates an article on HorsePo? Sad. Just sad.

by Anonymousreply 5809/01/2013

He lost his looks or whatever shred he had in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 5909/01/2013

Wasn't Schwimmer rumored to be the only cast member of the show who was an asshole in real life? I remember hearing when the six did their famous "solidarity" stand with the producers for more money, he was (allegedly) the only one who had to be convinced to go along because he didn't really want to be involved (his feeling being they should each make their own separate deals).

by Anonymousreply 6009/01/2013

"No one on Friends ever has to sniff a job again if they don't want to."

And yet they keep forcing themselves on the public. Making straight to Netflix films doesn't make a prestigious directing career. Don't even get me started on Aniston's "acting career". Aside from Leblanc, none of them have been able to find much success . And Leblanc is playing a fictionalized version of himself.

by Anonymousreply 6109/01/2013

Thanks for stating the obvious, r58.

by Anonymousreply 6209/01/2013

It wouldn't be his money if it were confiscated. There should at least be massive taxes on absurd, ant-social activities like paying huge amount for real estate. If you can afford to waste $10 million for a house, you should be able to pay another $10 million tax on the transaction.

by Anonymousreply 6309/01/2013

r36 is a Republican barbarian.

by Anonymousreply 6409/01/2013

We need a poll.

Who is more ridiculous: The private property rights nutcases. The preserve our mediocre architecture nutcases.

by Anonymousreply 6509/01/2013

The happy medium would have been keeping/renovating the facade and gutting the interior. As it is, he tore down something not so great and put up something even uglier.

by Anonymousreply 6609/01/2013

Just rude dumb-asses with too much time on their hands.

by Anonymousreply 6709/01/2013

Graffiti is so immature...

Haven't those losers heard of Molotov cocktails?

by Anonymousreply 6809/01/2013

Looks fine to me. The ones on either side are nothing special. There is a reason these blah homes aren't considered landmarks. Just because something is old doesn't mean it has to remain standing forever.

by Anonymousreply 6909/01/2013

r70 Was that a crack about John McCain?

by Anonymousreply 7009/01/2013

He'd just better not fill his new house with furniture from the Pottery Barn.

by Anonymousreply 7109/01/2013

The façade of the old building was UGLY. It was a broke down building. The new building is not that bad. It's boring but it blends with other boring buildings. Oh and not everyone who disagrees with those screaming about the sanctity of old, decrepit NYC buildings, is not a republican. We do still have personal freedom to spend our money as we like. Doesn't make us evil or repugs or whatever childish names you come up with.

There was no ordinance protecting the building so STFU!

and no I'm not DS or Ross or whatever before we get the tired ole "R73=DS publicist"

by Anonymousreply 7209/01/2013

[quote]Wasn't Schwimmer rumored to be the only cast member of the show who was an asshole in real life?

I've always read that Schwimmer is a jerk who has a very high opinion of himself. Not as bad as Edward Norton, mind you.

Does he intend to live in this building now that so many are pissed off and know where is? Might not be so wise to make himself a target.

by Anonymousreply 7309/01/2013

[quote]He'd just better not fill his new house with furniture from the Pottery Barn.

Yeah, but all will be forgiven if he buys his sheets at a flea market.

by Anonymousreply 7409/01/2013

"No way is he only 46."

I was thinking the same thing. "Friends" was aeons ago, and he didn't look young even back then. Forty-six...hah!

by Anonymousreply 7509/01/2013

R62 - " Aside from Leblanc, none of them have been able to find much success"

Jennifer is more successful than Matt.

by Anonymousreply 7609/01/2013

"Aside from Leblanc, none of them have been able to find much success"

"Jennifer is more successful than Matt."

I don't think either of you follow Lisa Kudrow's career very closely.

(And I'd say Courtney Cox is doing at least as well as Matt LeBlanc.)

by Anonymousreply 7709/01/2013

Lisa is doing well - btw, she will be joining Scandal - though not as well as Jennifer. Lisa is doing better than Matt.

by Anonymousreply 7809/01/2013

None of them have come close to duplicating Friends success.

by Anonymousreply 7909/01/2013

Matt has gotten rave reviews and several Emmy nominations for his show. For playing Matt LeBlanc.

Kudrow hasn't had a hit since the show ended.

Poor Jennifer finally got a mild box office hit. But her movie career has largely been a joke.

by Anonymousreply 8009/01/2013

Ask any teenager or a 70 year old woman who Jennifer Aniston is - they would know.

They probably would not know Matt LaBlanc.

by Anonymousreply 8109/01/2013

Kudrow does have two cult shows...the Webtherapy and the Valerie Cherish show. She doesn't give up, so it's only a matter of time before she gets something that has widespread support/appeal.

by Anonymousreply 8209/01/2013

He's ugly, so why shouldnt his dwelling be ugly as well.

by Anonymousreply 8309/01/2013

[quote]not everyone who disagrees with those screaming about the sanctity of old, decrepit NYC buildings, is not a republican.

What? not everyone who disagrees is not...

I have no idea what you are trying to say, R73.

by Anonymousreply 8409/01/2013

I'm neutral on the building. But I've worked with Schwimmer and he's a good guy. In fact he is the one who PUSHED for the unified Friends deal because that was the model he was used to at Lookingglass. He also gives a boatload of money to charity. His parents and sister are very progressive (incl. pro marriage equality) lawyers.

He married an idiot, however.

by Anonymousreply 8509/01/2013

We are ON a break!

by Anonymousreply 8609/01/2013

Nothing worse than these new-wealth idiots coming in and destroying vintage NY property.

by Anonymousreply 8709/01/2013

Uh, Alex, I'll take things we've known for at least a decade?

by Anonymousreply 8809/01/2013

[quote] Poor Jennifer finally got a mild box office hit. But her movie career has largely been a joke.

I bet if we lined up all the actors who wold love to have Aniston's "joke" career starting in either LA or NYC the line would extend to flyover country.

I'm not in the business - but I think her career is called "being a working actor".

by Anonymousreply 8909/01/2013

R90 - Aniston is doing better than being a working actor. Lisa Kudrow is a working actor.

by Anonymousreply 9009/01/2013

In order of post-Friends success, I would rate them as follows:

1. Jennifer Aniston--inexplicably a movie star, in spite of the fact most people find her untalented and boring

2. Matt LeBlanc--not very talented but likable and has a show on cable

3. Courtney Cox-- not talented or likable and has a show on basic cable

4. Matthew Perry-- In spite of repeated failures on tv, he's had the most chances at success post Friends. People must want to see him on tv, to give him so many chances. He probably just hasn't found the right vehicle yet. Probably the most adored character on Friends.

5. Lisa Kudrow-- Easily the most talented and respected of the cast, but she hasn't had much luck post Friends. Even The Comeback, which was hilarious and she was brilliant in, should've been a hit but was cancelled after a season.

6. David Schwimmer-- He's done nothing of note after Friends. Supposedly, he's directed some movies, but nothing anyone has heard of.

by Anonymousreply 9109/01/2013

[quote]Didn't Jennifer Aniston buy an APARTMENT for 40 million in the Village. IIRC, she then quickly flipped it. It was, of course, huge and a duplex, it was also in the Village.

Wrong. Jennifer bought two one-bedroom units, one above the other in that Bing and Bing building at 299 West 12th, with a plan to combine them into a duplex. I imagine it was to have two bedrooms upstairs, and a large open plan living area and bath downstairs. The kitchen is quite small, and it likely would have been no larger than 2,000 square feet in total, and cost between 3-4 million dollars.

Hardly huge, or anywhere near 40 million bucks. She found the building and neighborhood lacking in privacy, and sold both uncombined units very soon after her purchase.

Not at all as you described.

by Anonymousreply 9209/01/2013

Matt was really good in Studio 60. Too bad the show ran off the rails.

by Anonymousreply 9309/02/2013

"She found the building and neighborhood lacking in privacy, and sold both uncombined units very soon after her purchase."

Bullshit.

The rest of what you say I am sure is true but the real reason is nobody gave a shit she lived there.

Sarah Jessica Parker, Hillary Swank, Meryl Streep, Susan Sarandon and many others all reside, or have resided within blocks of Jennifer Aniston and essentially have their privacy.

Jennifer Aniston, who cannot maintain that level of tabloid coverage without SOME level of willing participation would LOATHE true privacy.

by Anonymousreply 9409/02/2013

[quote]Jennifer Aniston, who cannot maintain that level of tabloid coverage without SOME level of willing participation would LOATHE true privacy.

You mean like going out in public?

by Anonymousreply 9509/02/2013

I read the title of this thread as:

David Schwimmer Targeted With 'Diana Ross Is Not Cool' Graffiti

by Anonymousreply 9609/02/2013

I thought she bought the apartments under the ruse of wanting to "live" in New York to break out of her rut and try new experiences when it was just a reason to be near Theroux and steal him away from his live-in girlfriend. Obviously, it worked.

by Anonymousreply 9709/02/2013

He's at the US open watching Serena Williams play. so is Leo. They are sitting in the same section.

by Anonymousreply 9809/03/2013

[quote]1. Jennifer Aniston--inexplicably a movie star, in spite of the fact most people find her untalented and boring

[quote]The rest of what you say I am sure is true but the real reason is nobody gave a shit she lived there.

Like it or not, Jennifer Aniston is an A-list star, which is what most people in Hollywood really want. She earns millions per movie and is the only one of the six not living in the shadow of her Friends character.

by Anonymousreply 9909/04/2013

[quote]Wasn't Schwimmer rumored to be the only cast member of the show who was an asshole in real life?

No, he was the one that came up with the solidarity approach, and it worked.

[quote]Aside from Leblanc, none of them have been able to find much success

Transaltion: the only I care about, is the one I want to fuck.

[quote]None of them have come close to duplicating Friends success.

Very few do.

by Anonymousreply 10009/04/2013
Need more help? Click Here.