Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

DOLORES GRAY Appreciation Thread!

I concede to Dolores(Dot)Gray, TONY WINNING actress of stage, screen, recordings and supper clubs~

You win darling.

Here is 'Dot' and chorus in the "Are You Ready Gyp Watson?" from the musical DESTRY RIDES AGAIN, choreographed by Michael Kidd. Ed Sullivan Show.

by The former Dolores (Doe Doe) Grayreply 10610/27/2013

Welcome to my thread!

by The former Dolores (Doe Doe) Grayreply 108/29/2013

Saw Gray in GIRL CRAZY at the Muny co-starring Ann Reinking. After we were having a drink at the Chase Park Plaza hotel and Reinking was there with her lover Bob Fosse. They were hooting and hollering bout how bad the production was. Not Dolores, just the production.

by The former Dolores (Doe Doe) Grayreply 208/29/2013

love it R1! ;)

by The former Dolores (Doe Doe) Grayreply 308/29/2013

I love her in this number from It's Always Fair Weather.

by The former Dolores (Doe Doe) Grayreply 408/29/2013

You concede what to her?

by The former Dolores (Doe Doe) Grayreply 508/29/2013

That she went by Dot and not Doe Doe as reported by one of her former actor friends.

Dot wins this round. And we will meet for luncheon at 21 next Wednesday. 2-ish when the pre- matinee crowd has thinned out of course. I am in the mood for some of their chicken hash and one of Rudolph's killer spicy bloody mary's.

by The former Dolores (Doe Doe) Grayreply 608/29/2013

Was Miss Gray always orange? Anytime I ever saw her (in Sherry and in Bloomingdale's) she was kind of ferocious looking. Her mother was supposed to make Madame Rose look like Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm. She did sing like a demon though.

by The former Dolores (Doe Doe) Grayreply 708/29/2013

Everything about that number at r4 is sensational!

The pinnacle of MGM's powers are represented there in the song, the gown, the art direction, the choreography, the cinematography, the anonymous boys...and of, course, Dolores.

What a shame for us (and Dolores) that it was also at the very decline of the genre.

by The former Dolores (Doe Doe) Grayreply 808/29/2013

Were those the same chorus boys from Judy's Get Happy number?

Did they enjoy working with Dolores more?

by The former Dolores (Doe Doe) Grayreply 908/29/2013

OP, that's a great clip. The choreography is sensational. (Michael Kidd, right?) So's the song. Is the rest of the score that good? (Harold Rome?) Thanks a lot. Has Encores ever produced the show?

by The former Dolores (Doe Doe) Grayreply 1008/29/2013

I'd forgotten to mention that those flying, leaping, flipping, cartwheeling chorus guys were another reason why I loved that number so much, but R8 said it all perfectly.

by The former Dolores (Doe Doe) Grayreply 1108/29/2013

No R10 Encores has never done it. Saw a production in summer stock with Anne Jeffreys and Tom Poston. The Muny in St. Louis when I was 11. When I was in college, John Goodman played Destry in a production at the SMS (Missouri State) Tent Theatre. Show has never had a Broadway revival either.

by The former Dolores (Doe Doe) Grayreply 1208/29/2013

R12. There's usually a good reason for no Broadway revival. And Michael Kidd dancers aren't exactly a dime a dozen these days, particularly for Encores evenings, which don't get a lot of dance rehearsals. And who do Gray's role?

by The former Dolores (Doe Doe) Grayreply 1308/29/2013

My favorite number of Dolores' , came near the end . YT her doing " I'm Still Here" . Best version ever. She was 73, but her voice as strong as her MGM days.

by The former Dolores (Doe Doe) Grayreply 1408/29/2013

I think "I Say Hello" from Destry is one of my favorite recordings of hers. It's such a short song, but so pretty. Mufti at York did Destry several years ago. I thought it held up pretty well. I think it's a perfect vehicle for Encores. Now who should play Frenchy? Megan Hilty? Can't think of any that could match Gray's voice, one of the best. Very sorry I never got to see her on stage.

by The former Dolores (Doe Doe) Grayreply 1508/29/2013

[quote] And who do Gray's role?

Why, me of course!

by The former Dolores (Doe Doe) Grayreply 1608/29/2013

I Say Hello is indeed gorgeous. What a pity she never got to record "Here's That Rainy Day" or "Sherry". She had several recording contracts over the years. One would think her manager would have been more on the ball.

Here's "Here's That Rainy Day" from 1977

by The former Dolores (Doe Doe) Grayreply 1708/29/2013

It's a shame FOLLIES was the only Sondheim she did. She could have killed as Joanne in Company. Her Ladies Who Lunch is one of the best I've heard.

by The former Dolores (Doe Doe) Grayreply 1808/29/2013

She seems a bit mismatched with George Sanders here. It's like his small voice and his nationality influence her "British" accent and more muted singing.

Still, she looks sensational in that gown, even with the worst lighting known to man.

by The former Dolores (Doe Doe) Grayreply 1908/29/2013

A more girlish Dolores, with John Raitt. She was way more versatile than the campy, "draggy" vamp persona Lypsinka borrowed.

by The former Dolores (Doe Doe) Grayreply 2008/29/2013

I think the only major revival of Destry was in London in the 1980s with Alfred Molina and his soon-to-be wife Jill Gascoine in the lead roles.

by The former Dolores (Doe Doe) Grayreply 2108/29/2013

She's adorable as Annie Oakley here. What a shame Freed didn't sign her earlier. She would have been preferable to Betty Hutton.

by The former Dolores (Doe Doe) Grayreply 2208/29/2013

r2

Any more recollections? I presume Gray played the Merman role. Was it beefed up for Dolores?

by The former Dolores (Doe Doe) Grayreply 2308/29/2013

Any funny/dishy stories? She could be a pistol, right? I know some of the broadway lore - slapping Michael Kidd maybe? What about Hollywood? She worked with Bacall, Joan Collins and June Allyson. There had to be some fireworks....

by The former Dolores (Doe Doe) Grayreply 2408/29/2013

When you never quite become an A-list movie queen...

... you try harder.

by The former Dolores (Doe Doe) Grayreply 2508/29/2013

Dolores reminds me a bit of Kay Thompson.

Looking at youtube videos just now, I happened to find a piece of an old Milton Berle show on which the two appeared together.

by The former Dolores (Doe Doe) Grayreply 2608/30/2013

She was in Designing Woman with Gregory Peck and Lauren Bacall, here's a non-musical, passive-aggressive scene that always makes me laugh.

by The former Dolores (Doe Doe) Grayreply 2708/30/2013

Alison Bevan could do it. In fact she's played Frenchie before. Is she too old now? She has the voice for it.

by The former Dolores (Doe Doe) Grayreply 2808/30/2013

She replaced Lansbury in GYPSY in London. Would loved to have seen that.

by The former Dolores (Doe Doe) Grayreply 2908/30/2013

Dolores! Kismet

by The former Dolores (Doe Doe) Grayreply 3008/30/2013

Did Michael Kidd choreograph Thanks A Lot? The Number is from It's Always Fair Weather which he co-starred in. That film also has the fabulous Cyd Charisse number Baby, You Knock Me Out. But IMO very little else to recommend it.

The moves in both numbers are very reminiscent of Judy's Get Happy from Summer Stock so I wonder if Kay Thompson was involved with all of them?

by The former Dolores (Doe Doe) Grayreply 3108/30/2013

Lullaby of Broadway

by The former Dolores (Doe Doe) Grayreply 3208/30/2013

Dolores is perfection as Madeline the artificial tv hostess of "The Throb of Manhattan" in Its Always Fair Weather, and as for that song "Thanks a lot but no thanks" with that dress - and the line "I've got a man who's Clifton Webb and Marlon Brando combined" ..

and the scene where she tips the plate of ravioli into Greg Peck's lap in the restaurant in Designing Woman,

and her catty Sylvia is as good as Roz Russell's in The Opposite Sex, Pity she did not do more in Hollywood in the 50s. (shes in Minnelli's Kismet also).

She must have been a terrific Mama Rose in Gypsy. Pity she was not in Folles when I saw it (it was Eartha Kitt).

Her "Warm Brandy" album is fun though.

by The former Dolores (Doe Doe) Grayreply 3308/30/2013

Dolores did not write: "I've got a man who's Clifton Webb and Marlon Brando combined."

by The former Dolores (Doe Doe) Grayreply 3408/30/2013

Thanks A Lot, But No Thanks was choreographed by Jack Cole.

I read somewhere that Dolores fought to do it "her way" rather than his - that seems to be a recurring theme in her career and it may be one reason why she didn't have a bigger one.

by The former Dolores (Doe Doe) Grayreply 3508/30/2013

British MT star Hannah Waddingham looks a bit like Dolores. She could easily play Frenchie.

by The former Dolores (Doe Doe) Grayreply 3608/30/2013

From all that I have ever read about her, she was a huge cunt and difficult to work with. Hence, her career. Or lack thereof.

by The former Dolores (Doe Doe) Grayreply 3708/30/2013

And I believe there's something in the notion that her very difficult stage mother instilled some very ugly behavior in Dolores as well. She also wasn't born with MGM looks and went to great trouble to look like a Hollywood starlet of the period without notable success. Still, a vocal knockout.

by The former Dolores (Doe Doe) Grayreply 3808/30/2013

Even with that stentorian voice, her mouth was too big for her face and she was not camera friendly as a leading lady. She was in some wierd space and MGM never knew what to do with her plus she came at the tail end of the musical era. A double strike. She could have been a fun "Ann Miller second banana" type of character if MGM musicals had lasted longer. She would have had a chance to build an oeuvre.

by The former Dolores (Doe Doe) Grayreply 3908/30/2013

She was more camera friendly pre-nosejob. Like Ann Miller, her nosejob was not necessary at all.

by The former Dolores (Doe Doe) Grayreply 4008/30/2013

Did he FUCK her??

by The former Dolores (Doe Doe) Grayreply 4108/30/2013

Great body, great voice, great personality, hideous face.

The Sarah Jessica Parker of her era, except at least she wasn't going around yammering on to everyone about how pretty she was all the time.

by The former Dolores (Doe Doe) Grayreply 4208/30/2013

Remember the old Ed Sullivan blooper when he said, "Stand up Dolores Gray, who is starving on Broadway in Destry Rides Again!"

by The former Dolores (Doe Doe) Grayreply 4308/30/2013

Dolores Gray fans who don't own this DVD are living without the light Simply fabulous.

by The former Dolores (Doe Doe) Grayreply 4408/30/2013

By the time she got to MGM, she looked very middle-aged. Maybe it was those severe and brassy hairdos and the unkindness of Technicolor. Or maybe she was just...middle-aged. So she was obviously not gonnna be the leading lady type.

But she looks so much sweeter and fresher in that clip with a ponytail, bangs and John Raitt at r20. Wasn't that the same time period?

Btw, that clip proves rather conclusively why the talented Mr. Raitt never had much of a screen career.

by The former Dolores (Doe Doe) Grayreply 4508/30/2013

r20

Yes - that clip was about late 1952/1953 - not much more than a year before It's Always Fair Weather.

by The former Dolores (Doe Doe) Grayreply 4608/30/2013

La Gray deserves to be DL canonized on the basis of this photo alone.

by The former Dolores (Doe Doe) Grayreply 4708/30/2013

She's the tops on "You're The Top" with the original male lead of ANYTHING GOES, William Gaxton.

by The former Dolores (Doe Doe) Grayreply 4808/30/2013

I adore her now that she's dead.

by The former Dolores (Doe Doe) Grayreply 4908/31/2013

More Dolores! "I'm Still Here."

by The former Dolores (Doe Doe) Grayreply 5008/31/2013

Love the ponytail!

by The former Dolores (Doe Doe) Grayreply 5108/31/2013

I've seen listings for a DVD of her appearances on the "Bell Telephone Hour." Shows like BTH and the Ed Sullivan Show brought people like Dolores Gray into homes across America. Today, there is no way to see musical stage performers except for a few minutes at the annual telecast of the Tony Awards.

by The former Dolores (Doe Doe) Grayreply 5208/31/2013

r52

That's not quite true. The last Anything Goes did the title number on "The View" and Blow, Gabriel, Blow on Letterman, for example.

by The former Dolores (Doe Doe) Grayreply 5308/31/2013

Mack The Black. I prefer it to Baby Gumm's.

by The former Dolores (Doe Doe) Grayreply 5408/31/2013

Best appreciated with an orchestra pit between her audience & herself

by The former Dolores (Doe Doe) Grayreply 5508/31/2013

Was Dolores interviewed when her walker, Dick Kallman, was murdered?

by The former Dolores (Doe Doe) Grayreply 5608/31/2013

[quote] The last Anything Goes did the title number on "The View" and Blow, Gabriel, Blow on Letterman, for example.

Comparing a musical number on "The View" to Broadway appearances on the Ed Sullivan Show is like comparing apples to aardvarks.

Sullivan had someone from Broadway on his show every Sunday night. Not all on stage, however. He would introduce Broaways stars, producers, directors, and choreographers who were seated in the audience. They would stand up for a bow. He brought Broadway to the nation in prime time, not daytime or late night.

A song performed for Whoopi, Barbara, and Sherri can't be compared to that.

by The former Dolores (Doe Doe) Grayreply 5708/31/2013

I would like to know what [R56] asked too. I only knew of that case when I read about it on DL. Would be interesting to know her thoughts/input. Must have been devastating.

by The former Dolores (Doe Doe) Grayreply 5808/31/2013

24: Gray was first choice for Maggie Prescott in FUNNY FACE.

The Vreelandesque Thompson was more perfect for the role, but ...

imagine Gray's version of "Think Pink".

You know it would have been fucking fabulous.

by The former Dolores (Doe Doe) Grayreply 5908/31/2013

r55

by The former Dolores (Doe Doe) Grayreply 6008/31/2013

I wonder if she was ever approached to play Dolly Levi? I think she woul dhave been good.

by The former Dolores (Doe Doe) Grayreply 6108/31/2013

Why didn't Dolores do Funny Face? Was that her choice or Paramount's?

by The former Dolores (Doe Doe) Grayreply 6208/31/2013

It was MGM's decision.

by The former Dolores (Doe Doe) Grayreply 6308/31/2013

r61

Dolores was one of the final three choices for MAME. She referred to the loss of the role as something from which she never recovered.

I don't think it's coincidental that she never did any Jerry Herman musicals. And she did crap like "Wildcat" in stock.

by The former Dolores (Doe Doe) Grayreply 6408/31/2013

She was also up for THE UNSINKABLE MOLLY BROWN but lost that role to Tammy Grimes. Did Dorothy slap Meredith Wilson?

by The former Dolores (Doe Doe) Grayreply 6508/31/2013

R65 No, but I'll slap you for misspelling my name.

by The former Dolores (Doe Doe) Grayreply 6608/31/2013

[61] who was the other finalist for Mame? I'm assuming one was Lansbury.

by The former Dolores (Doe Doe) Grayreply 6708/31/2013

r67

Nanette Fabray.

by The former Dolores (Doe Doe) Grayreply 6808/31/2013

I really love her "Rose's Turn." She really milks that monologue. It's pretty creepy.

by The former Dolores (Doe Doe) Grayreply 6908/31/2013

R66- damn! I can't believe I did that!

by The former Dolores (Doe Doe) Grayreply 7008/31/2013

r70

Who's Dorothy?

by The former Dolores (Doe Doe) Grayreply 7108/31/2013

I thought Kaye Ballard was one of the three finalists to play Mame. Or is that a DL legend?

by The former Dolores (Doe Doe) Grayreply 7208/31/2013

Kaye Ballard maintains that she was on of the three finalists (Lansbury and Gray as the other two) but she also tells of how she was told that she couldn't convince as a resident of Beekman Place, so it's hard to believe that she got down to the final round.

by The former Dolores (Doe Doe) Grayreply 7308/31/2013

"Here's That Rainy Day" is a remarkably sophisticated song musically. I bet it's hard to put over well, but I love Dolores' version.

by The former Dolores (Doe Doe) Grayreply 7408/31/2013

Ballard was also a finalist for Gooch and made it to the wire, only to lose to Jane Connell.

Maybe she's confusing that with the title role....

by The former Dolores (Doe Doe) Grayreply 7509/01/2013

But wasn't Judy Garland Jerry Herman's first choice for MAME?

by The former Dolores (Doe Doe) Grayreply 7609/01/2013

Hard to imagine Nanette Fabray as a very exciting Mame. And then she never even replaced on Broadway or played her in stock.

by The former Dolores (Doe Doe) Grayreply 7709/01/2013

R77. By then she was pretty deaf too. Hey she could play Berthe.

by The former Dolores (Doe Doe) Grayreply 7809/01/2013

Fabray wouldn't even audition. She was offer-only. Gray did audition, which probably made the loss greater as she probably considered herself one of the final two.

by The former Dolores (Doe Doe) Grayreply 7909/01/2013

What could possibly match Gray's gilt-crowned, dazzling performance?

A sassy , bare-chested Jack Cole jazz-dance number, of course!

by The former Dolores (Doe Doe) Grayreply 8009/01/2013

Mr John Epperson (or his houseboy) just posted some more Dolores clips to youtube.

It's interesting to compare the styling between these two numbers (both from a 1956 special) and the effect on how young/mature Dolores appears.

"Always True To You In My Fashion" from KISS ME KATE

and a medley of "I Get A Kick Out Of You (ANYTHING GOES), "Down In The Depths (DUBARRY WAS A LADY), and "Just One Of Those Things" (JUBILEE)

by The former Dolores (Doe Doe) Grayreply 8109/24/2013

Good times with Dolores Gray and Director/Choreographer Michael Kidd!

"After one of the performances (DESTRY RIDES AGAIN) Kidd and Gray had a heated argument in front of the cast. He called her a 'slut.' The word had been in the script. It had made Boston (tryout) audiences gasp. She asked him to take it out. It had upset her when it was part of the show. It outraged her when Michael Kidd applied it to her. She upped the verbal ante. She slapped him. He SLUGGED her. It made headlines. A Herald-Tribune reporter flew to Boston to report on the backstage rodeo. After a performance, he saw Kidd accousted by Gray's mother,who slapped him hard across the mouth. A companion dragged her into her daughter's dressing room from which she called out, " You haven't heard the last of this, Michael Kidd. I will kill you, Michael Kidd." Normally it would be the producer's role in such a situation to restore peace and harmony. David Merrick, however refused to fly to Boston. Merrick's reply to Miss Gray's agent: "Are you crazy, Lester? I couldn't buy publicity like this for $5,000 a week. Let 'em fight it out."

-From the unauthorized biography "David Merrick - THE ABOMINABLE SHOWMAN" by Howard Kissel 1993.

by The former Dolores (Doe Doe) Grayreply 8210/24/2013

Didn't I tell you Dolores's mother was a real career for poor Dolores?

by The former Dolores (Doe Doe) Grayreply 8310/24/2013

R83. Shouldn't that have read career killer?

by The former Dolores (Doe Doe) Grayreply 8410/24/2013

Michael Kidd looks like the type who'd slug a woman.

by The former Dolores (Doe Doe) Grayreply 8510/24/2013

[quote]Merrick's reply to Miss Gray's agent: "Are you crazy, Lester? I couldn't buy publicity like this for $5,000 a week. Let 'em fight it out."

That's great. You gotta love David Merrick. Kidd and Gray probably deserved each other.

[quote]But wasn't Judy Garland Jerry Herman's first choice for MAME?

No, he dearly wanted her to go in as a replacement after the show became an established hit. But cooler and wiser heads prevailed. Garland was in no shape to do six shows a week, even if they gave her the matinees off.

by The former Dolores (Doe Doe) Grayreply 8610/24/2013

R86. The show queens would have gone wild if they had arrived at the Winter Garden for Wednesday and Saturday matinees to find a sign that told them that Iva Withers or Betty Garrett would be going on for Judy. Bloodshed everywhere!

by The former Dolores (Doe Doe) Grayreply 8710/24/2013

Saw her in FOLLIES in London in 1988. She sang I'm still here but she wasn't that great.

by The former Dolores (Doe Doe) Grayreply 8810/24/2013

An amazing talent. Check out her "Thanks a Lot but No Thanks" in IT'S ALWAYS FAIR WEATHER, one of the best MGM musical numbers.

A friend worked with Dolores in a tour of 42nd Street and loved her.

by The former Dolores (Doe Doe) Grayreply 8910/24/2013

She definitely was a "Love her" or "Hate her" kind of gal. Nothing in-between.

Apparently she willed her estate and money to Broadway Cares/Equity Fights Aids. She knew who her fans were at the end. Gotta love her for that, no?

by The former Dolores (Doe Doe) Grayreply 9010/24/2013

[quote] She knew who her fans were at the end

Not just her fans. Many of her friends were gay.

I wish someone would do a biography. There was one on Kay Thompson recently, so why not Dolores?

by The former Dolores (Doe Doe) Grayreply 9110/24/2013

I wonder if Dolores got along with Ann Miller when they made The Opposite Sex? Did Annie ever comment?

by The former Dolores (Doe Doe) Grayreply 9210/24/2013

R89, I love that number too, it's a little underrated, IMO, but definitely one of the best. I posted the clip @ R4.

by The former Dolores (Doe Doe) Grayreply 9310/24/2013

r92

They remained friends, it seems.

[quote] Gray and Miller became fast friends while rehearsing their very realist cat fight for the film. "Dolores was such a joy to work with," says Miss Miller. "She was statuesque and brassy on and off screen and had this delicious sense of humor."

[quote] After her only non-musical in the deal, Designing Woman (1957), directed by Vincent Minnelli and co-starring Gregory Peck and Lauren Bacall, Freed dropped Gray. "It was sad," says Miss Miller, "that Arthur didn't have more faith in Dolores. She really would have been a great asset to M-G-M." As far as her being a trouble maker, Miss Miller said, "Well, she certainly wasn't alone in that category."

by The former Dolores (Doe Doe) Grayreply 9410/24/2013

I can't imagine what musicals Dolores (or for that matter Ann)would have done for The Freed Unit post-1957 so her contract termination is really moot.

Could either of them fit into Gigi??

by The former Dolores (Doe Doe) Grayreply 9510/24/2013

She could have done GYPSY!

by The former Dolores (Doe Doe) Grayreply 9610/24/2013

^

by The former Dolores (Doe Doe) Grayreply 9710/26/2013

Sunday bump for more Dolores dish.

by The former Dolores (Doe Doe) Grayreply 9810/27/2013

I did a google search for the story that Jack Wrangler (the porn star) used to claim that Dolores Gray was his mother. Apparently, it was his way of... getting laid. He obviously had a thing for show queens

by The former Dolores (Doe Doe) Grayreply 9910/27/2013

Here's a quote I found about "Evr'y Time We Say Goodbye", which Dolores sang in her Broadway debut, SEVEN LIVELY ARTS

[quote] How right he was. Cole Porter's matching of words and music in this song is especially felicitous: the use of the repeated note Cno matter how Dolores Gray disliked this device) is as successful here as it was in "Night And Day".

Can you believe it? 19 year old Dolores Gray, in her first appearance on Broadway, and who only sang a REPRISE (the song was introduced by Nan Wynn in the first act), decided to advise Cole Porter on what was wrong his song - a future classic.

The seeds of her "downfall" were sewn from the beginning, it seems.

by The former Dolores (Doe Doe) Grayreply 10010/27/2013

Btw, Dolores left SEVEN LIVELY ARTS after a month, due to material being taken away from her. Balls of steel, that woman.

by The former Dolores (Doe Doe) Grayreply 10110/27/2013

R101. "Balls of steel" may ultimately account for her "meh" career. She was a true talent who should have gone further. A lot of the blame seems to belong to the ultimate stage mother, who probably instilled some of her pigheadedness into Dolores's brain.

by The former Dolores (Doe Doe) Grayreply 10210/27/2013

What surprises me about her career is that she didn't return to London more. She headlined at the London Palladium, Talk Of The Town etc. But she never did DESTRY there or any of the "Great Lady" shows of the 1960s.

On reflection though, her pigheadedness may have made her turn down any offers to do Herman shows after losing MAME to Lansbury.

by The former Dolores (Doe Doe) Grayreply 10310/27/2013

R103. But she did return to London, at least twice that I know of. She replaced Lansbury in her Gypsy production and closed the show within a few weeks and she also played Carlotta in Follies, to almost zero acclaim, and got replaced by Eartha Kitt. Admittedly those appearances were thirty years after her Annie acclaim, but even so, she barely created a stir. She may have some cabaret turns and she did appear (I think) at oen of the Royal Palladium events.

by The former Dolores (Doe Doe) Grayreply 10410/27/2013

[quote] to almost zero acclaim

Is that your own recollection?

Dolores was sick on her opening night of GYPSY, to the extent that intermission had to be extended, which torpedoed the chance of glowing reviews. She did the show for four months.

She was very well received in FOLLIES.

[quote] "From the moment the ageless Dolores Gray sings 'I'm Still Here,' you know 'Follies' will be around for a good time yet," wrote Rosalie Horner in The Daily Express.

[quote] "For Dolores Gray, a vast pink-and-white figure in skin-tight beaded gown, to bring the house down with I'm Still Here, some 30 years after Annie Get Your Gun and 10 years after Gypsy, is the stuff of theatre legend. She knows it, and so does the audience, " wrote Patricia Morgan, Nationwide News.

[quote] One of Sondheim's wittiest song- lyrics — precisely entitled "I'm Still Here" — is put over superbly by Dolores Gray. (Illustrated London News)

by The former Dolores (Doe Doe) Grayreply 10510/27/2013

[quote] There is also Miss Gray, beloved here 30 years ago in 'Annie Get Your Gun,' who was imported to sing one song and bring down the house, which she did like a home run hitter. The audience was fairly salivating as she strutted with the pride of an old chorine in simply surviving, smiled and began: 'Good times and bum times, I've seen them all, and, my dear - I'm still here.' (New York Times)

by The former Dolores (Doe Doe) Grayreply 10610/27/2013
Need more help? Click Here.