Complete agree

by Anonymousreply 108/28/2013

Love ALL those songs !

by Anonymousreply 208/28/2013

That is the year my Mom was born.

by Anonymousreply 308/28/2013

Geez, you must be twelve!

by Anonymousreply 408/28/2013

I think, Madonna released her first Greatest Hits Album that year.

by Anonymousreply 508/28/2013

Some of my favorite albums came out that year:

Queen II

Queen Sheer Heart Attack

Black Sabbath Sabbath Bloody Sabbath

Deep Purple Burn

Aerosmith Get Your Wings

Bowie Diamond Dogs

Blue Oyster Cult Secret Treaties

Grand Funk Railroad Shinin' On

Kiss Kiss

Kiss Hotter Than Hell

Rush Rush

Robin Trower Bridge Of Sighs

Rolling Stones It's Only Rock 'n' Roll

Bad Company Bad Company

Damn, I'm getting nostalgic for 7th/8th grade. LOL.

by Anonymousreply 608/28/2013

I bet "The Way We Were" is playing on this car's stereo

by Anonymousreply 708/28/2013

One of the best years ever for soul music.

You Make Me Feel Brand New (Stylistics) Can This Be Real (Natural Four) Boogie Down (Eddie Kendricks) Do It Baby (Miracles) Last Time I Saw Him (Diana Ross) Sexy Mama (The Moments) Just Don't Want To be Lonely (Main Ingredient) Best Thing That Ever Happened (Gladys Knight & The Pips) That's The Sound That Lonely Makes (Tavares) Been A Long Time (New Birth) There's Got To Be Rain In Your Life (Dorothy Norwood) Sideshow (Blue Magic)

I'm sorry there are so many more but I'll stop there.

by Anonymousreply 808/28/2013

And some of the worst...

Seasons In The Sun

Billy Don't Be A Hero

The Night Chicago Died

Colour My World

Beach Baby

by Anonymousreply 908/28/2013

I love all the songs r9 said!!!!

by Anonymousreply 1008/29/2013

Beach Baby was good!!!

by Anonymousreply 1108/29/2013

1974 .. my sophomore and junior years of high school ... seems like yesterday and a million years ago ... excuse my, I got some geometry work I need to have done for first period

by Anonymousreply 1208/29/2013

[quote]first period

plug it up! plug it up! plug it up!

by Anonymousreply 1308/29/2013

My jams in 1974 were "Band On The Run" by Wings, "Radar Love" by Golden Earring, "Train Kept A Rollin" by Aerosmith, "Smokin' In The Boys Room" by Brownsville Station, "Teenage Rampage" by Sweet, "Teenage Lament '74" by Alice Cooper, "The Air That I Breathe" by The Hollies and "The Locomotion" by Grand Funk.

I remember cruising the streets of Austin, TX with my buddies in my '69 Charger and blasting a home-made 8-track tape with those songs and more on it. Windows down, passing a fat doobie and a bottle of cheap wine around. Damn!

by Anonymousreply 1408/29/2013

Never Can Say Goodbye (Gloria Gaynor), Rock The Boat (Hues Corporation), Rock Your Baby (George McCrae), Fire (Ohio Players), Jungle Boogie (Earth Wind & Fire), Get Dancin' (Disco Tex and the Sex-O-Lettes).

DISCO BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And don't forget "JOLENE" by Dolly, bitches!!!

by Anonymousreply 1508/29/2013

Mmmmm hmmmm. FIRE---yes, Lawd!

by Anonymousreply 1608/29/2013

My graduation year & yes a great music year.

by Anonymousreply 1708/29/2013

R15 - I have a love/hate relationship with the song 'The Air That I Breathe' by The Hollies. It was my favorite song in the Fall of 1974. My best friend, Donnie, loved the song too. We went to a party on the night of November 20, 1974 and that song came on the radio when he was driving me home. We had the windows of his Maverick down and he pumped the volume as loud as it would go.

We sang along to it at the top of our lungs and we were laughing and having the time of our young (17 year-old) lives. A few minutes later we turned onto my street, up to my house, Donnie kissed me gently on the lips, I stepped out of the car and he and drove away. I walked into my bedroom on top of the world. I was in love. I fell asleep and slept the sleep of the angels that night.

Early the next morning the phone rang. My mom woke me up with tears in her eyes. A friend had called her and told her that Donnie had been killed in a car accident on his way home the night (early morning) before. Someone ran a red light and took him away (less than ten minutes after he had dropped me off).

I had not heard the song in many years and last fall I was driving home from a late night at a friend's house and that song came on the radio. I am a tough man and I had tears rolling down my face. I realized at the moment I heard the song that it was November 21, 2012. The 38th Anniversary of his death. I began laughing through my tears, thinking just maybe that that song playing at that moment was his way of sending me a "hello, I'm okay" from wherever he is. I don't believe in ghosts, but I hope so, anyway.

by Anonymousreply 1808/29/2013

I love all of that music. There's really such thing as "adult contemporary" any more. It's all top 40 shit from Miley, Moron 5 and a bunch of illiterate hip-hop artists. Where are the Phoebe Snows, the Olivia Newton-Johns, the Chicagos, the Anne Murrays, the Marilyn McCoo and Billy Davis, Jrs. Things were so much more pleasant then.

by Anonymousreply 1908/29/2013

I love you r19.

by Anonymousreply 2008/29/2013

Meant to say: there's really NOT such a thing as Adult Contemporary any more. It's all "hot" adult hits, or whatever the hell it's called. It's not the same thing. It's all like Robin Thicke, and that's not AC. Curses on Alan Thicke for spawning such a wretched creature.

by Anonymousreply 2108/29/2013

Hugs, R19. Your story has me bawling like a baby. That is a beautiful song and it sounds like you two shared a beautiful moment that night/morning. Take comfort that after he dropped you off he was probably smiling ear to ear thinking about you and that tender moment you shared with that gorgeous song. He died young but he went happy thinking of you. Another big hug to you. You sound like a great guy.

Incidentally, I can't listen to "Stairway to Heaven" by Zeppelin without crying. It was my older brother's favorite song and it was played at his funeral in '72 after he drowned at the age of 15. I love the song, but I hate it too.

by Anonymousreply 2208/29/2013

Miss Diana Ross would like you to know that she spent three weeks at Number One while Miss Streisand was only there for two weeks.

by Anonymousreply 2308/29/2013

Paul McCartney & Wings owned 1974 with that Band on the Run album. Every song was awesome. Really, it was Macca's only consistent album after the demise of The Beatles. It was stellar!

That first Bad Company album was another favorite of mine that year. Every social event had that and Band on the Run as a soundtrack.

Elton had a great single that year with Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me.

Robin Trower had the classic track Bridge of Sighs which still gives me chills.

I can't even think of '74 without David Bowie's Rebel, Rebel and Styx' Lady playing.

On the funkier side, that year also saw Ohio Players putting out Fire. The all-time funk classic. I didn't dance, but it got my cute little white butt a shakin'

Much simpler times. I was 16 and music was what made this gay boy's world go 'round.

by Anonymousreply 2408/29/2013

Haha, r15, I was in Waco, but we were listening to the same stuff, exactly. "Band On The Run", wow, hell yes, and I think "Goodbye, Yellow Brick Road" the album came out around the same time, because it's inextricably associated in my mind with the Wings LP.

Oh, to be a freshman in high school again, doing Shakespeare in Cameron Park! The cast parties!

by Anonymousreply 2508/29/2013

It's funny, back in '74 I hated songs like Seasons In The Sun by Terry Jacks, The Night Chicago Died by Paper Lace and Back Home Again by John Denver. Now I hear them and they are like warm blanket on a cold night. I still love my Alice Cooper and my Black Sabbath, but I can appreciate those songs now.

I still loathe Billy Don't Be A Hero. I somehow don't think that one will EVER grow on me. LOL.

by Anonymousreply 2608/29/2013

We didn't have a lot of money back then, but my brother and I took our earnings from cutting lawns one Saturday in September of that year and we bought the albums "Bad Company" by Bad Company, "Get Your Wings" by Aerosmith and that "Band On The Run" album by Wings. Those three albums ARE 1974 in my mind. I hear any songs from those LP's and I'm nine years old again, lying on the bedroom floor and reading Mad Magazine with my beloved big brother (who was 11 then). I would give almost anything to go back to that time for just a few hours to relive those times when life was a breeze and a record and a Mad Magazine could entertain me for hours.

by Anonymousreply 2708/29/2013

This guy was a 17 year old Grand Funk Railroad fanatic in 1974. I had all their albums including their two most recent at the time, Shinin' On and All The Girls In The World Beware. I went to see them in concert that year. My musical tastes changed and evolved over the years but I don't think I have ever loved another group as passionately as I loved GFR as a teenager.

I think I'm going to have to pull up some Shinin' On (the song) on YouTube.

by Anonymousreply 2808/29/2013

I know It's Only Rock 'n' Roll, but I like it.

Like it, yes I do.

by Anonymousreply 2908/29/2013

R21 I honestly love you.

by Anonymousreply 3008/29/2013

Some More Jukebox Favorites from '74:

"I Will Always Love You" by Dolly Parton

"La Grange" by Z.Z. Top

"Killer Queen" by Queen

"Jim Dandy" by Black Oak Arkansas

"Ben" by Michael Jackson

"Ain't Too Proud To Beg" by Rolling Stones

"Rebel, Rebel" by David Bowie

"Can't Get It Out Of My Head" by E.L.O.

"Can't Get Enough" & "Rock Steady" by Bad Co.

"Some Kind Of Wonderful" by Grand Funk

"Shame, Shame, Shame" by Shirley & Co.

I worked as a barback in a club in Austin from mid-1974 to mid-1975, when I was 19 and I remember these fuckers playing all the time.

by Anonymousreply 3108/29/2013

I was eight years old then. My mom used to play the shit out of a song by Elvis Presley called "I Got A Feelin' In My Body" it was a hard driving, fucky motherfucker. I loved that song (still do, even though I haven't heard it in decades).

Another song I loved in 1974 was "You Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet" by B.T.O. (though I got so tired of that one I can go the rest of my life without hearing it).

There was ABBA's first U.S. Hit "Waterloo" and "Earache My Eye" by Cheech & Chong. Such great music back then.

My dad loved "The Entertainer" (the theme from the movie The Sting). He played that song continually.

by Anonymousreply 3208/29/2013

[quote]Was a damn good year for music.

Which is unlikely to be reflected in a link to adult contemporary hits.

Here is 1974 from a muso snob perspective:

by Anonymousreply 3308/29/2013

R8, great list, here's more:

Woman to Woman (Barbara Mason), Can't Get Enough of Your Love (Barry White), On and On (Gladys Knight and the Pips) You Haven't Done Nothin' (Stevie Wonder) TSOP (MFSB) The Payback (James Brown) Dancing Machine (The Jackson Five) Jungle Boogie (Kool and the Gang) Tell Me Something Good (Rufus and Chaka Khan) Mighty Mighty (Earth, Wind and Fire) Heaven Must Be Like This (Ohio Players) Until You Come Back To Me (Aretha Franklin)

by Anonymousreply 3408/29/2013

I wasn't born until 11 years later, but I like some of the songs listed here. My parents always played 70s stuff when I was growing up. One thing that's very noticeable is that singers back then could actually sing because there was no Autotune or other software. Imagine that, you actually had to be able to sing to get a record contract! I think the lyrics were better too.

All of David Bowie's stuff from that period is absolutely amazing.

by Anonymousreply 3508/29/2013

Bump

by Anonymousreply 3608/29/2013

I have an older sister (lesbian) who was into John Denver and Anne Murray big-time (I was 4 in 1974, she was 11), so those are big memories for that year; I also remember hearing "Seasons in the Sun" on the radio -- as my grandfather died around the same time, it was my realization of the finality of death.

by Anonymousreply 3708/29/2013

I just went through my journal from 1974 (yes, I was a queen, so sue me). At the end of the year I listed my top 15 favorite songs of the year. Here they are (as they appeared in my '74 journal):

1. Band On The Run - Wings

2. Radar Love - Golden Earring

3. Rebel Rebel - David Bowie

4. It's Only Rock 'n' Roll - Rolling Stones

5. Soldier of Fortune - Deep Purple

6. Let Me Roll It - Wings

7. TSOP - MFSB

8. Can't Get Enough - Bad Company

9. Rikki Don't Lose That Number - Steely Dan

10. The Locomotion - Grand Funk

11. The Air That I Breathe - Hollies

12. When Will I See You Again - 3 Degrees

13. The Bitch Is Back - Elton John

14. March Of The Black Queen - Queen

15. Tin Man - America

by Anonymousreply 3808/29/2013

I loved all of those songs, but you can see how the stage was set for the arrival of disco.

Jim Croce, Anne Murray, John Denver, Helen Reddy, Gordon Lightfoot....all wonderful, but it was as if things had not moved on since James Taylor and Carole King had their mega-hit albums in 1971.

The flannel shirts... the long skirts... the whole granola aesthetic....it was time for a change.

Disco brought back glamour, dancing and fun.

by Anonymousreply 3908/29/2013

Listening "Laughter In The Rain" is like getting a shot of heroin: instant feel good

by Anonymousreply 4008/29/2013

My absolute favorite albums of that year were:

1. Queen - "Sheer Heart Attack"

2. David Bowie - "Diamond Dogs"

3. Rolling Stones - "It's Only Rock & Roll"

4. Wings - "Band On The Run"

5. Bad Company - "Bad Company"

6. Supertramp - "Crime Of The Century"

7. Queen - "Queen II"

8. Genesis - "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway"

9. Alice Cooper - "Greatest Hits"

10. Aerosmith - "Get Your Wings"

Those were my party boy favorites back in the long lost days of yesteryear. Some I had on vinyl and some on 8-track. Those albums helped forge some wonderful memories of my 16th year.

I love threads like this. So many threads are racist, insulting and banal. This one is so much fun and evokes such positive memories. Love it!

by Anonymousreply 4108/29/2013

R42 I love your list. It seems like you and I were on the same page musically in '74. I was 14 then. I agree with you on fun threads like this. They are so refreshing. A nice antidote to the Miley Cyrus and racist threads. I avoid hateful and insulting threads like the plague. They depress me and make all of us in the LGBT community look vile and superficial. XOXO.

by Anonymousreply 4208/29/2013

I was born in '74, so this thread makes me feel young. I love the music of that era, though. Some of my favorite albums that came out that year are:

Neil Young - On the Beach

America - Hat Trick

Boz Scaggs - Slow Dancer

Steely Dan - Pretzel Logic

Gene Clark - No Other

by Anonymousreply 4308/29/2013

A few I remember from '74 (I was 13). I haven't seen these mentioned...

Haven't Got Time For The Pain, Carly Simon

Kung Fu Fightin', Carl Douglas

Already Gone, The Eagles

I Can Help, Billy Swan

Takin' Care Of Business, B.T.O.

Hollywood Swingin', Kool & The Gang

If You Love Me (Let Me Know), Olivia Newton-John

Astronomy, Blue Oyster Cult

Strutter, Kiss

Machine Gun, Commodores

Clap For The Wolf Man, Guess Who

Songs I hated from '74:

You're Having My Baby, Paul Anka

Sweet Home Alabama, Lynyrd Skynyrd (my older bastard of a redneck stepbrother loved that song. I will forever relate that song to his drunk, abusive sorry ass).

by Anonymousreply 4408/29/2013

"1974 is the year that they're planning for sex on the streets of every major city from coast to coast..."

by Anonymousreply 4508/29/2013

I miss that era. The guys seemed so much hotter then. I loved the long, shoulder length hair, the tight pants, the shirts unbuttoned to the waist. Mmmm. Everyone was thin. Damn.

Guys had a certain look then (think young David Cassidy) that is never coming back.

The music, the movies, the television shows. It was all great.

My favorite song of '74 has already been mentioned several times. It was "It's Only Rock 'n' Roll (But I Like It)" by the Stones.

by Anonymousreply 4608/29/2013

Here are some from my British perspective. I'm not sure how many of these charted in the U.S. - they were massive over here.

Rock On by David Essex

Sweet F.A. by Sweet

Turn It Down by Sweet

Teenage Rampage by Sweet

Devil Gate Drive by Suzi Quatro

Rock & Roll Suicide by David Bowie

Seven Seas Of Rhye by Queen

Bangin' Man by Slade

The Cat Crept In by Mud

My Boy by Elvis Presley

Golden Age Of Rock & Roll by Mott The Hoople

Never Can Say Goodbye by Gloria Gaynor

by Anonymousreply 4708/29/2013

"Songs I hated from '74:

You're Having My Baby, Paul Anka"

This song was so smarmy and stupid and hilarious. A couple of my friends and I would always try to sing along with "I'm a woman in love..."

and could never get past the word 'love' because we were laughing so hard.

by Anonymousreply 4808/29/2013

My Fave Raves of 1974. I was a mellow teen girl ----

Your Mama Don't Dance - Loggins & Messina

Mandy - Barry Manilow

Please Come Home To Boston - David Loggins

Leave Me Alone - Helen Reddy

Sunshine On My Shoulder - John Denver

Back Home Again - John Denver

Life Is A Rock But The Radio Rolled Me - Reunion

Candy Man - Sammy Davis

If You Happen To See The Most Beautiful Girl - Charlie Rich

Half Breed - Cher (yes, we lezzies love her too, LOL.)

by Anonymousreply 4908/29/2013

That first Bad Company album was the shit for this bad boy! That LP was playing everywhere. I played the vinyl until it melted - lol.

Side One:

"Can't Get Enough" (Mick Ralphs) – 4:16

"Rock Steady" (Paul Rodgers) – 3:46

"Ready for Love" (Ralphs) – 5:01

"Don't Let Me Down" (Rodgers, Ralphs) – 4:22

Side Two:

"Bad Company" (Rodgers, Simon Kirke) – 4:50

"The Way I Choose" (Rodgers) – 5:05

"Movin' On" (Ralphs) – 3:21

"Seagull" (Rodgers, Ralphs) – 4:06

It was like a greatest hits album. Every song could have been a hit (and most were). it din't hurt that Paul Rodgers and Simon Kirke were HOT! My soundtrack for 1974 on the mean streets of Houston, Texas.

by Anonymousreply 5008/29/2013

R51 here. I meant to say "It didn't hurt that.." It's been a long day at the office lol.

by Anonymousreply 5108/29/2013

More songs -

Mockingbird - Carly Simon & James Taylor

Dark Lady - Cher

Helen Wheels - Wings

Jet - Wings

Sabbath Bloody Sabbath - Black Sabbath

Oh Very Young - Cat Stevens

Dancing Machine - Jackson Five

I've Been Searching - Chicago

Call On Me - Chicago

Hooked On A Feeling - Blue Swede

The Show Must Go On - 3 Dog Night

by Anonymousreply 5208/29/2013

R54 Go back to your Party in the USA by Miley Cyrus or your Jonas Brothers on your iPod, or at least try to expand your musical horizons. You'll realize that there's more to music than Justin Bieber and One Direction. We're not old, either, kid. Old is a state of mind.

by Anonymousreply 5408/29/2013

There was a cool bubblegum pop trend happening in Europe and Australia at that time, though we in the U.S. were only aware of a couple (The Bay City Rollers, ABBA). I love those catchy, campy songs and the groovy clothes.

by Anonymousreply 5508/29/2013

Some I love:

Help Me - Joni Mitchell

Midnight At The Oasis - Maria Muldaur (I know everyone hates it)

You're No Good - Linda Rondstadt

Don't You Worry 'Bout A Thing - Stevie Wonder

Train of Thought - Cher

Nothing From Nothing - Billy Preston

The Way We Were - Barbara Streisand

Show and Tell - Al Wilson

You Got The Love - Rufus and Chaka Khan

And another vote for I Can Help and Please Come To Boston

by Anonymousreply 5608/29/2013

Kool & The Gang; Hollywood Swinging (De-Lite)

Gladys Knight & Pips; Best Thing That Ever Happened to Me (Buddah)

James Brown; The Payback (Polydor)

William DeVaughn; Be Thankful for What You Got (Roxbury)

Bobby Womack; Looking for a Love (United Artists)

George McCrae; Rock Your Baby (TK)

Benny Latimore; Let’s Straighten It Out (TK)

Tavares; She’s Gone (Capitol)

Al Green; Living for You (HI)

Shirley Brown; Woman to Woman (Stax)

by Anonymousreply 5708/29/2013

Kool & The Gang; Jungle Boogie

Gladys Knight & The Pips; I Feel a Song In My Heart

James Brown; My Thang

MFSB; TSOP (Theme from Soul Train)

Barry White; Can’t Get Enough of Your Love

Blue Magic; Side Show

Dionne Warwick & The Spinners; Then Came You

B. T. Express; Do It ('Til You're Satisfied)

Aretha Franklin; I’m In Love

The Spinners; Mighty Love

by Anonymousreply 5808/29/2013

I was a rocker back then. Some I loved back in my Detroit teen years ...

Black Diamond by KISS

Cold Gin by KISS

Same Old Song & Dance by AEROSMITH

Train Kept A Rollin' by AEROSMITH

Killing Yourself To Live by BLACK SABBATH

Sabbra Cadabra by BLACK SABBATH

Dominance & Submission by B.O.C.

Working Man by RUSH

Flick Of The Wrist/Lily Of The Valley by QUEEN

Now I'm Here by QUEEN

Day Of The Eagle by ROBIN TROWER

Bridge Of Sighs by ROBIN TROWER

Burn by DEEP PURPLE

Stormbringer by DEEP PURPLE

Shinin' On by GRAND FUNK

Teenage Lament '74 by ALICE COOPER

Wild Cherry by FOGHAT

Doctor, Doctor by U.F.O.

by Anonymousreply 5908/29/2013

[quote]You people are old. 1974 was 20 years before I was even born. I know very few if any of these songs. They must not have stood the test of time.

The fact that you're only 19 and hanging around this site with us geezers speaks volumes about what a loser you are.

by Anonymousreply 6008/29/2013

Oh my Christ you people.

That original list is the reason why punk had to happen.

by Anonymousreply 6108/29/2013

Thin Lizzy's Nightlife album came out that year. Great stuff.

by Anonymousreply 6208/29/2013

R63 I loved Thin Lizzy. I don't know how I left "Nightlife" out. Great band. They saw far more success in Europe than they did in the States, but I loved them. Lynott was a genius.

by Anonymousreply 6308/29/2013

The Fever and Born To Run by Springsteen.

by Anonymousreply 6408/29/2013

I worked in a music store that year, my hs graduation year, and R34's link reflects more of what I was hearing. I took radio music for granted and spent most of my time upstairs in the attic listening to Billie Holiday and '20 Broadway scores.

The best albums from that year don't get much respect - Minnie Riperton, Maria Muldaur, Phoebe Snow are now generally seen as one-hit wonders, but their voices were one-of-a-kind and their albums were really quite adventurous.

by Anonymousreply 6508/29/2013

I was a lonely little 8 year old boy in Mississippi in 1974. In later years (the late '70s and '80s) I got into new wave and stuff like that, but in '74 I loved 4 specific albums

Dark Lady by Cher

Love Is Like A Butterfly by Dolly Parton

Hotcakes by Carly Simon

Jolene by Dolly Parton.

I'm sure my parents just knew by my musical taste that I was gonna be a "different" from the other boys. I didn't disappoint - lol.

by Anonymousreply 6608/29/2013

Ah, I should've mentioned Poetry Man and Harpo's Blues by Phoebe Snow.

by Anonymousreply 6708/29/2013

Phoebe Snow was FABULOUS. Tragically, she had a daughter in the mid-70s who was born severely mentally and physically disabled and it derailed Phoebe's career, because Phoebe had to care for her 24/7. The daughter died in the late 2000s and Phoebe died not too long after.

by Anonymousreply 6808/29/2013

R63 and R64 Damn, that's a blast from the past. I loved Thin Lizzy too. In '74 I was 13 and hanging out with my older (also gay) brother and his stoner (gay too) buddies. Lots of gay rocker guys liked Lizzy back then for some reason. Good taste I guess. "Still In Love With You" stands as one of the most beautiful songs I have ever heard. I prefer the live version on 1978's "Live & Dangerous" LP, but I love the version on "Night Life" as well.

by Anonymousreply 6908/29/2013

All the mentions of Paul McCartney & Wings' "Band On The Run" album is making me horny. My first boyfriend and I popped each other's cherries to that 8-track back on a cold night in February of 1974. We were 15, in love and took it all the way that night on the floor in my bedroom while my parents slept down the hall. The only light was from the dial on the stereo. That night is the most beautiful memory of my life and I had a great sound-track in the background playing over and over. We fell asleep and the tape was still playing in the morning when we woke up.

by Anonymousreply 7008/29/2013

Was '74 the year that Tanya Tucker and Helen Reddy (separately) released that song "Delta Dong"? Gawd, I hated that song (both versions). That was pure puke.

by Anonymousreply 7108/29/2013

R72 LOL. No, that Delta Dawn tripe came out two years earlier in '72. In addition to Tanya and Helen, Bette Midler also did a version. I believe hers was first. At any rate, the song sucked, no matter who sang it.

by Anonymousreply 7208/29/2013

I loved this song - from 1974 though it charted in '75.

by Anonymousreply 7308/29/2013

R68 and R69 LOVE you bitches!

Phoebe Snow is THE DAMN DEAL. She's amazing in every way, and it was too sad that she died so young.

I love this song - it may sound mellow at first, but it builds all the way through and then at 2:23, it just soars through the roof. Goosebumps on my arms even thinking of it.

(I know - MARY!)

by Anonymousreply 7408/29/2013

Another vote for Bowie's "Rebel, Rebel" - a stone cold classic!

by Anonymousreply 7508/29/2013

Touch me in the morning...

by Anonymousreply 7608/29/2013

I love this thread. Truly great music and memories. I was only 9 in 1974, but my parents were on it, and my older siblings were blasting it.

That Phoebe Snow song is beautiful r75.

Thanks OP and everyone else for such soulful music, in the truest sense of the word.

by Anonymousreply 7708/29/2013

That era was so rich in musical variety. I can remember liking acts as diverse as John Denver, Black Sabbath, Terry Jacks, Queen, The Hollies, Phoebe Snow, The Stones, Deep Purple, Grand Funk, Anne Murray, Iggy & The Stooges, Bread, Kiss, Marvin Hamlisch, Ohio Players, T.Rex, The Eagles, Earth Wind & Fire...

We'll never see the likes again.

by Anonymousreply 7808/29/2013

In 1974 I had my heart broken for the first time. I was 14 and had fallen in love with one of my best buds. He was gay too and we had a torrid, passionate relationship that lasted from mid-1973 until August of '74.

Just before school started, the love of my life dumped me because he had fallen for someone else. The worst part... he fell for our mutual buddy (my only other close friend in the world) and they cruelly carried on right in front of me. I felt so betrayed by both of them. I was devastated.

I spent many lonely hours in my room lying on my bed and listening to Bad Company's first album with my headphones on, and with tears streaming down my young face. That LP really got me through the remainder of '74. In December, we moved from Kansas City, Missouri to Austin, Texas. I never saw either of those guys again. My love life picked up in Texas. Oh, boy, did it pick up! LOL.

I will always love that Bad Co. album. It was my dearest friend through many teary teenage nights.

by Anonymousreply 7908/29/2013

I was born in 1974.

"Top of the World" by The Carpenters, bitches!

& like it or not haters.....

Barbra Joan Streisand had the Billboard #1 song of the year with "The Way We Were" from the best movie of the year. Suck it, haters!

by Anonymousreply 8008/29/2013

It was 1975, but this is the song that still wipes me out, r19.

by Anonymousreply 8108/29/2013

R81 The Way We Were was hardly the best movie of 1974. I saw many others that were far better. The Godfather Part II, Young Frankenstein, Blazing Saddles, Murder On The Orient Express, Thunderbolt & Lightfoot, The Taking Of Pelham One Two Three, The Conversation, The Towering Inferno, to name just a few.

As for the title song, it was okay. But, just because something went to #1 doesn't ensure that the song was top quality. There has been a lot of shit that has landed at the top of the charts (You're Having My Baby, etc.).

by Anonymousreply 8208/29/2013

I feel your pain, R82. Back then, in my teens, I used to fall for guys that were no good. They looked hot but treated me like crap. In my pain, I would run to songs like "Love Hurts" and cry my little eyes out. Fortunately, I worked on my self-esteem and improved on the types of guys I fell for. It worked. No more crying over sad songs, at least not as often.

by Anonymousreply 8308/29/2013

"Standing On The Verge Of Getting It On"--Funkadelic.

Funk. A. Fucking. Delic.

Here's my fave jam off this epic album--I'll Stay".

Fire up and grooooovvveeeee!

by Anonymousreply 8408/29/2013

Here's "Dark Lady" by Cher. Cartoon from the "Sonny & Cher show.

by Anonymousreply 8508/29/2013

Gary Glitter - Always Yours

by Anonymousreply 8608/29/2013

My Top Ten Songs of 1974:

1. Rock Steady - Bad Company

2. Fire - Ohio Players

3. Let Me Roll It - McCartney & Wings

4. Band On The Run - McCartney & Wings

5. Ready For Love - Bad Company

6. The Locomotion - Grand Funk Railroad

7. I Got The Fire - Montrose

8. The Air That I Breathe - The Hollies

9. Bad Company - Bad Company

10. I Need You - Lynyrd Skynryd

by Anonymousreply 8708/29/2013

Hell FUCKING YES, r85!!!

I was wondering if I was the only one who would be like "FUNKADELIC, BITCHES!!"

George Fucking Clinton for World Domination!!!

Mr Big Stuff; Mustang Sally; More Bounce to the Ounce; Cisco Kid; Give up the Funk and so many more.

Damn, people. Just damn. Funk is the shitz!

by Anonymousreply 8808/29/2013

"Time Waits For No One" - The Rolling Stones. That song always did it for me - gorgeous. It still gives me chills. My favorite song of 1974 AND my favorite song OF ALL TIME!

"It's Only Rock & Roll" - The Rolling Stones. An absolute classic.

"Dreamer" - Supertramp. An under-rated classic.

"Now I'm Here" - Queen. Powerful perfection. My first favorite Queen song.

"Lord Of The Thighs" - Aerosmith. The U.S.'s answer to The Rolling Stones. My favorite Aerosmith song. Lots of high school cruising to this one.

"Train Kept A Rollin'" - Aerosmith. Mother-fucker rocks like a son of a bitch. I love this fucking song.

"Rebel Rebel" - David Bowie. THE party song of '74. Bowie was a God to me at this point.

"Astronomy" - Blue Oyster Cult. New York's thinking man's metal band. An absolutely gorgeous song.

"Fire" - Ohio Players. My first taste of this band was in late-1974 when they appeared on "The Midnight Special" - They blew this white boy away.

"Killer Queen" - Queen. Brilliant. This fell into its own classification of music that year. One of a kind and awesome 39 years later.

"Bridge Of Sighs" - Robin Trower. Former Procol Harum guitarist's 2nd album. The title track takes me on a mind trip (which is an accomplishment since I have never used drugs). This song is my interpretation of what a drug trip would have been. Dreamy.

by Anonymousreply 8908/29/2013

Marry me, R90. I own every song on your list. You have excellent taste. I was 9 when those songs first came out. My older brother and sister introduced me to that music and it has been part of me ever since. I dropped acid to the Trower song once back in high school. LOL. It was certainly an experience.

by Anonymousreply 9008/29/2013

"Charade" by Bee Gees

"Mr. Natural" by Bee Gees

"Down The Road" by Bee Gees

from their criminally underrated 1974 LP 'Mr. Natural' -- some of my favorite Brothers Gibb tracks and very few people know them. Oh well. The rest of the world caught up with them the next year when they released the 'Main Course' LP.

by Anonymousreply 9108/29/2013

My favorite song of 1974 was Seasons of Wither by Aerosmith. That Get Your Wings album was terrific.

Other songs I loved were Midnight at the Oasis by Maria Muldaur, I Honestly Love You by Olivia Newton-John, and everything on the Bad Company album.

by Anonymousreply 9208/29/2013

"Loving You" didn't hit the charts until '75, but it came from Minnie Riperton's Perfect Angel album which was released in '74.

by Anonymousreply 9308/30/2013

@r94

Lalalalala....Lalalalala....Lalalalala.... Doobydoobydeedooooo......

EEEEEEEEE--EEEEEEE--OOOOOOOOOOOOOH--OOOOOOOOOOH!

by Anonymousreply 9408/30/2013

Leaving It (All) Up To You by Donny & Marie Osmond. The catalyst that launched their TV show two years later. Say what you will about The Osmonds but you can't deny the greatness of this song.

Leave Me Alone (Ruby Red Dress) by Miss Helen Reddy - my second-fave song of that year. I wore the 45 out.

I Will Always Love You by Miss Dolly Parton - Whitney's was great, but Dolly's 1974 original had more heart and soul.

by Anonymousreply 9508/30/2013

"Lick My Dipstick" by Peter & The Foreskins

by Anonymousreply 9608/30/2013

R96 The Dolly song was heartfelt and very good, but those other two songs are a perfect example of why I gravitated toward the harder stuff like Zeppelin, Sabbath, Yes and Purple during that era. A lot of the Top 40 stuff was sugary enough to put even Edison Lighthouse and The Archies into a coma.

by Anonymousreply 9708/30/2013

Good music, but awful in every other way. inflation, the Watergate Scandal, gas lines, poor schools (though better than now), and widespread cynicism and apathy. Not a happy time in our nation's history.

by Anonymousreply 9808/30/2013

Daddy was a cop on the east side of Chicago Back in the U S A, Back in the bad old days.

In the heat of a summer night. In the land of the dollar bill. When the town of Chicago died And they talk about it still.

When a man named Al Capone tried to make that town his own, and he called his gang to war with the forces of the law

I heard my mama cry, I heard her pray the night Chicago died, Brother what a night it really was, Brother what a fight it really was, glory be.

by Anonymousreply 9908/30/2013

Laughter In The Rain always makes me smile.

by Anonymousreply 10008/30/2013

I didn't care for this part of the '70s musically speaking. I was very young in 1974. I really didn't listen to the radio until 1976 when I was 12. I became a huge disco queen. I was the first boy in my class to learn the Hustle and I thought I was hot shit.

I guess that is why the music of '74 doesn't cut it for me. No Donna Summers, no KC & the Sunshine Band, no Vicki Sue Robinson, no Chic, no Village People. I know disco was just getting started in 1974 and I did like a few of the early disco flavored hits (rock the boat, rock your baby, etc). I preferred 1976-1980.

by Anonymousreply 10108/30/2013

Joni Mitchell - "People's Parties/Same Situation"

by Anonymousreply 10208/30/2013

R101 Me too. A real feel good song.

by Anonymousreply 10308/30/2013

[R19] That's a sad yet beautiful story. I hope you're all right now.

by Anonymousreply 10408/30/2013

"Heart Like A Wheel" by Linda Ronstadt was released in 1974. The album spent 51 weeks on the charts. The title song is beautiful, and You're no Good, is good too.

Jolene is a fucking masterpiece song, Dolly.

I am more an r8 soul lover.

"Band on The Run" is running through my mind ever since I looked at this thread. I played it on my piano yesterday and had a friend sing the harmony. I did Paul. She sounded better than Linda...

It was a very good year.

by Anonymousreply 10508/30/2013

"The Gates of Delirium" - Yes

"Sound Chaser" - Yes

"To Be Over" - Yes

All from their perfect album, "Relayer", released in December of 1974. I got it for Christmas that year and cherished every note they played. Sonic perfection.

by Anonymousreply 10608/30/2013

God, I loved 'Relayer', R107. I would have named that one in my post earlier but for some reason I was thinking it came out in mid-'75. I checked and you were right, it was Dec. '74. the mind plays funny tricks sometimes. Damn, I feel like I short-changed one of my favorite albums in my post. LOL.

by Anonymousreply 10708/30/2013

Was Heart around in '74 or were they a little later in the 70s? What about Jefferson Starship? I know they had a number of hits from around this time.

You know, we bitch about how awful pop music is now, but a lot of the top 40 songs from the 70s were shit too. The big difference, of course, is that the good music of the 70s far outweighed the bubblegum shit.

by Anonymousreply 10808/30/2013

Steely Dan - Any Major Dude Will Tell You

by Anonymousreply 10908/30/2013

[quote]"Charade" by Bee Gees

For me, this is as great as my favorite Bee Gees ballad "How Deep Is Your Love", a totally overlooked, underrated love song.

by Anonymousreply 11008/30/2013

I'm feeling a lot of love tonight reading these posts. What nostalgia, memories of first love, and the passion of youth. I hope R54 makes it to one day mist over Miley Cyrus.

This was the first decade after Stonewall, and the angst was over coming out, not AIDS, not husbands. AIDS was a decade away. Gay marriage more than three decades away. Who knew then?

And my first gay crush loved Anne Murray. So everytime I catch a bit of her on the air waves, on that rare occasion, I see his blond highlights... So hugs to you R19 and R54. And hugs to my Irish blondie wherever you are.

by Anonymousreply 11108/30/2013

The great Tom Waits.

"The Ghosts of Saturday Night"

by Anonymousreply 11208/30/2013

One of the things I miss about some of the songs of this era is how musically sophisticated they were.

I know people either tend to love or hate Steely Dan, but their songs were very sophisticated, never a simple AAA BBB AAA sort of thing. Same with Joni Mitchell.

I'm not an old-timer who thinks *no* good music happened after a certain year (I actually discovered this music later) but most top 40 these days is such shitty, simplistic music that sounds like a bad commercial jingle or some kid playing the same two notes on his Fisher Price xylophone.

by Anonymousreply 11308/30/2013

I fucking LOVE Steely Dan.

by Anonymousreply 11408/30/2013

I do love Steely Dan as well; however, I long for the days of really fucking awesome funk and soul.

Seriously, when did funk and soul become shitty ass rap? This hurts me deeply.

Hell, even my beloved blues has become somewhat "underground" in these days.

Give me FUNK or give me death!

by Anonymousreply 11508/30/2013

Totally agree r116. I like some rap, but nothing compares to old-school funk/soul. Marvin Gaye, Chaka Khan, Brothers Johnson, the aforementioned Ohio Players (Skin Tight!) etc. That was some seriously great music. There is no present-day equivalent.

by Anonymousreply 11608/30/2013

Speaking of Ohio Players, THE classic "Funky Worm". Came out in 1973, though with crossover into 1974.

Ohio Fucking Players, bitches!

by Anonymousreply 11708/30/2013

Another Steely Dan fan here, their songs still sound contemporary to me.

by Anonymousreply 11808/30/2013

Another Steely Dan fan here! 40 years later I'm still in love with their quirkiness and idiosyncrasies.

by Anonymousreply 12008/30/2013

Steely Dan is one of my favorite groups ever (don't like the most recent couple of albums, though). Thin Lizzy, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, folk-rock, singer-songwriters and all the great funk groups. Just an unreal amount of talent back in those days. The 70s are definitely my favorite era for music and movies.

by Anonymousreply 12108/30/2013

I'm not an expert but "Do It Again" is one of the best summer songs ever.

by Anonymousreply 12208/30/2013

R105, I'm okay, thanks for your comment. I've had a great life in the years since. The first year was horrific for me, especially the first 6-8 months. For months I prayed that I would die in my sleep and join him. After I went off to college the next Fall things started to improve.

Donnie and I had been neighbors and close friends since we were 6 years old. My parents and his were very close friends. When we were 14, Donnie's family moved across town and he changed schools. Our families continued to visit and have cookouts, but it always seemed like Donnie and I had school things going on so we didn't see each other for over a year and a half.

In April-May of 74, my parents were involved in our local Community Players (they were artsy like me) and they told me they needed an extra young male actor for the play. Donnie and his parents were in the play so I jumped at it. The year and a half had been good for him. He was hot. When we shook hands a surge of electricity went through both of us, our friendship quickly evolved into far more.

We became romantically involved immediately. We both had cars and visited every day of the summer. In November, we were doing another Community Players production and had our final performance that night. The party we went to that night was our cast party. Three days earlier, he told me he loved me for the first time. I was on cloud nine and so was he.

I am still close to his brother and sister. I remained close to his parents until their deaths in 2005 and 2008. I have been with my current partner for 32 years. We are both artsy, have careers we love and we are very, very happy.

I still think about Donnie often, though. "The Air That I Breathe" makes me smile now, most of the time (every once in a while it still gets me misty, though).

by Anonymousreply 12308/30/2013

"Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me" by Elton John (1974)

I can't light no more of your darkness. All my pictures seem to fade to black and white. I'm growing tired and time stands still before me. Frozen here on the ladder of my life.

Too late to save myself from falling I took a chance and changed your way of life. But you misread my meaning when I met you. Closed the door and left me blinded by the light.

Don't let the sun go down on me. Although I search myself, it's always someone else I see. I'd just allow a fragment of your life to wander free. But losing everything is like the sun going down on me.

I can't find the right romantic line. But see me once and see the way I feel. Don't discard me just because you think I mean you harm. But these cuts I have they need love to help them heal.

by Anonymousreply 12408/30/2013

Dang, guys and girls! I am feeling so nostalgic and touched reading this thread. There were some shitty songs then, like "You're Having My Baby" and "The Streak", but there were so many great classics. Until I read this thread, I didn't realize that all these great songs were from 1974. Now that I think about it, yep, they were.

I was a nerdy 11 year-old in 1974 and music, along with my one close equally nerdy friend, was my best companion. I think back on all my dear relatives and classmates, many of whom are no longer with us and I smile in remembrance. Keep the memories coming, loves.

by Anonymousreply 12508/30/2013

R90: I'm in Denver too.

by Anonymousreply 12608/30/2013

I loved that era: Led Zeppelin, David Bowie, The Rolling Stones, Black Sabbath, The Sweet, Alice Cooper, Yes, Queen, Bad Company, Free, T. Rex, Pink Floyd, Uriah Heep, Grand Funk Railroad, Chicago, Deep Purple, Thin Lizzy, Rush, Aerosmith, Budgie, Ohio Players, Kool & The Gang, Styx, UFO, The Kinks, Emerson Lake & Palmer, The Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, Mountain, Edgar Winter Group, Funkadelic, Montrose, The Who, The Stooges, Mott The Hoople, Brownsville Station, and the list goes on.

My early-mid seventies teen summer evenings cruising around Phoenix, AZ with dear old buddies and friends. I wish I had a time machine sometimes.

by Anonymousreply 12708/30/2013

Thanks for that R92. Mr. Natural is one of my all time favorite songs.

by Anonymousreply 12808/30/2013

R90 'Time Waits For No One' is probably one of The Stones' most under-rated classics (written by guitarist Mick Taylor - one of his last songs with the band). Sheer beauty. I remember buying the 'It's Only Rock -n- Roll' LP in the autumn of '74 and being slightly disappointed with it at the time. However, the title song and 'Time Waits' were songs that went with me everywhere, and remain two of my favorite Stones tracks of all-time. I love Denver. Beautiful city.

by Anonymousreply 12908/30/2013

What a fun time that was to be young. I was 9 in 1974 and loved the music (Alice Cooper, Sweet & Bad Co, especially) and the TV shows (All In The Family, Emergency!, The Six Million Dollar Man, Bob Newhart, M*A*S*H, Hawaii Five-O, Rockford Files, etc.).

by Anonymousreply 13008/30/2013

Wow. I was shocked by the mention of the Bee Gees' "Mr. Natural" songs. I love them, but that album seemed to be the red-headed stepchild of their albums. I thought I was one of the only people who knew and loved those songs. Vastly underrated. Awesome though.

by Anonymousreply 13108/30/2013

Elton John, Bennie and the Jets

Grand Funk Railroad, The Loco-Motion

Billy Preston, Nothing From Nothing

Redbone, Come and Get Your Love

Billy Swan, I Can Help

Jackson 5, Dancing Machine

Steve Miller Band, The Joker

Lynyrd Skynyrd, Sweet Home Alabama

Eddie Kendricks, Boogie Down

David Essex, Rock On

by Anonymousreply 13208/30/2013

Soul Train, bitches.

Get on board!

by Anonymousreply 13308/30/2013

I was an Elton John fantatic in '74. He lost me in '75-'76 with all that sugary Philadelphia Freedom, Don't Go Breaking My Heart shit.

by Anonymousreply 13408/30/2013

Here's a link for those of you fixing to board the Soul Train for nineteen hundred and seventy-four.

by Anonymousreply 13508/30/2013

I loved Yes, Led Zep and Pink Floyd as a dreamy-eyed 14 year old. Damn, I still do.

by Anonymousreply 13608/30/2013

Then close your legs, R138.

by Anonymousreply 13808/30/2013

Yes - "Tales from Topographic Oceans" (released January 1974). Even better than "Relayer", which was released 11 months later. I worshipped Yes back then.

by Anonymousreply 13908/30/2013

I've never understood people like R138. They go into a thread they have no interest in just to hurl insults and try to get a rise out of others, or make other people feel bad. People like that are either terminally bored or they have deep psychological issues. Get help, R138.

Thank you, R39. I loved your response.

I am putting in another shout out for The Rolling Stones' "Time Waits For No One." I had not heard that song in decades. This thread reminded me of it after so long. Thanks for the memories.

by Anonymousreply 14008/30/2013

Waterloo...

Couldn't escape if I wanted to.

by Anonymousreply 14108/30/2013

I'll name some of my favorites from '74:

1. Easy Street, Edgar Winter Group

2. Must Of Got Lost, J. Geils Band

3. Whatever Gets You Thru The Night, John Lennon

4. Band On The Run, Paul McCarntney/Wings

5. Tubular Bells, Mike Oldfield

6. Pretzel Logic, Steely Dan

7. Don't Eat The Yellow Snow, Frank Zappa

8. Overnight Sensation, Raspberries

9. Ready For Love, Bad Company

10. Killing Yourself To Live, Black Sabbath

11. Fairytale, Pointer Sisters

12. Jolene, Dolly Parton

13. Up For The Down Stroke, Parliament

14. Stormbringer, Deep Purple

15. The Payback, Part 1, James Brown

16. Can't Get Enough, Bad Company

17. Candy's Gone Bad, Golden Earring

18. Ride The Tiger, Jefferson Starship

19. Ain't Too Proud To Beg, Rolling Stones

20. In For The Kill, Budgie

by Anonymousreply 14208/30/2013

[R124] When I read your posting, it made me think of a song from 1966, "The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore" by the Walker Brotheres. Are you familiar with it? I'm glad you had a happy ending. For too many of us, the sun never shined in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 14308/30/2013

R144, Yes, I am very familiar with that song. It was quite beautiful (though very dire and depressing). I send you a thousand electronic big hugs. Never give up. It's never too late for the sun to peep over the horizon. Thank you for reminding me of that song. I had not thought about it in decades.

by Anonymousreply 14408/30/2013

R143 I had completely forgotten about Easy Street by The Edgar Winter Group. I hear Frankenstein and Free Ride all the time on the radio, but I haven't heard Easy Street since the mid-'70s. Damn. That was one scorching hot song. I remember an acquaintance always playing that Shock Treatment album at the parties he would throw in his basement apartment back then. How I forgot about that classic song, I'll never know. Thanx for the reminder. I love your list. Very diverse and I loved it all.

I loved Fairytale too. The Pointer Sisters really should have done more country music. I am a white guy but I love to hear blacks sing country (Charley Pride was awesome). I wish more blacks would sing country. The Pointers deserved their grammy for that one.

by Anonymousreply 14508/30/2013

r136---HELLZ YEAH! Soul Train was da SHIZZLE! Fuck American Bandstand! Soul Train was on the UHF channel after Saturday morning cartoons were over. My little gay, white ass would get down with Don Cornelius and the Soul Train dancers!

Here's The Soul Train dancers gettin' down with Stevie Wonder's " Don't You Worry 'bout A Thing" from 1974

by Anonymousreply 14608/30/2013

I'm on board the nostalgia train! I was 13 and 14 and just beginning to get my own taste in music. Had moved from Philadelphia, where you heard a lot of R&B and wall of sound pop from the cars on the street and people aiming their record players (!) out the window, down to the Deep South, where it was a lot of Skynrd & Molly Hatchett & the Doobie Brothers (my school was much more suburban than country).

I think I had a 45 of "Dancing Machine" and I loved hearing "Love's Theme" on the radio. We actually played T.S.O.P. in marching band, and were VERY impressed by one guy in the band who could play "Someone Saved My Life Tonight." I was briefly a DJ on the school radio station and my favorite song to play was "Show & Tell." I was also a full-scale Carpenters nerd and I think I saw John Denver play live in '74.

by Anonymousreply 14708/30/2013

Maybe some kind person can start a thread like "White people who appreciate Soul Train" or something?

by Anonymousreply 14808/30/2013

Smoooooooth.

by Anonymousreply 14908/30/2013

"Too Rolling Stoned" by Robin Trower

"Paper Money" by Montrose

"Parasite" by Kiss

"Got To Choose" by Kiss

"Deuce" by Kiss

"Strange Ways" by Kiss

"Hotter Than Hell" by Kiss

"100,000 Years" by Kiss

"Flaming Telepaths" by B.O.C.

"Astronomy" by B.O.C.

"Stone Cold Crazy" by Queen

"Brighton Rock" by Queen

"Bring Back Leroy Brown" by Queen

"Train Kept A Rollin/Seasons Of Wither" by Aerosmith

"Don't Let Me Down" by Bad Company

"Welcome Back My Friends..." by E.L.P.

by Anonymousreply 15008/30/2013

Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man.

by Anonymousreply 15108/30/2013

Electric Light Orchestra - Can't Get it Out Of My Head

by Anonymousreply 15208/30/2013

A song I listened to hundreds & hundreds of times in '74 was "The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway" by Genesis. OMG! That song took me places. LOL. I was a prog rock guy (lots of Genesis, ELP, Yes, King Crimson, etc.). I think it goes without saying that I smoked lots and lots and lots of weed back then. I know, I was a bad, bad boy. LOL. Most of the other gay guys I knew back then were into soft rock and disco. They thought I was nuts for listening to the stuff I listened to. I converted a few of my fellow 'mos to my way of thinking, musically.

by Anonymousreply 15308/30/2013

I was a MASSIVE Genesis fan back then, R154. I loved everything they did up until Peter Gabriel left the band. The second he left, and they started doing those lame pop songs, they were dead to me. I can't believe they went from brilliance like "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway" to lame commercial bile like "Paperlate." It was sickening what happened to them.

by Anonymousreply 15408/30/2013

I'm not an expert on prog rock but I really like the British band Strawbs. Their Hero & Heroine album came out in '74 with the epic "Autumn." Makes me wish I had a bowl to smoke right now.

by Anonymousreply 15508/30/2013

R153 - I loved that song. Over the Christmas holiday break from my freshman year of college in '74 an old boyfriend took me up to a cabin in the snowy Rocky Mountains and we had a beautiful week of laughter, love making (under heavy blankets on a fold-out sofa in front of the fireplace), and lots of E.L.O. "El Dorado" on the stereo. "Can't Get It Out Of My Head" takes me right back there to a very special week, with a guy who was very special to me at the time. Ah, youth. I want it back! I wonder whatever happened to Tim. On second thought, no I don't. The fucker broke my heart into a thousand pieces and stomped on it. The fucker! Haha.

by Anonymousreply 15608/30/2013

R156 I smoked many a bowl to The Strawbs. That album in particular. I love "Autumn." I spent many a Summer night on the sand in South Beach, Florida toking and playing that song on my Jeep's 8-track player back in the day, with my long blond hair blowing in the wind, without a care in the world. Music like this is so soothing. Even without herbal assistance. LOL.

R155 I full-heartedly agree about the direction Genesis took after PG left. LOL. It was tragic what happened to them. I cried when I heard them doing songs like that horrible one you mentioned. I can't bring myself to type the title, it's so bad. LOL.

by Anonymousreply 15708/30/2013

KISS - "Firehouse" was one of my favorite songs. I remember getting home from school one afternoon and seeing them performing it on the old Mike Douglas Show. I was hooked. The makeup, the costumes, the music. That first KISS album had terrible, cheap production (it sounded like it was recorded in a tunnel), but every song was a fucking killer. The best songs on that great LP really got a powerful makeover on '75's classic "Alive!" LP.

by Anonymousreply 15808/30/2013

I watched a documentary on the disco era not too long ago, and the people interviewed said that when Barry White came out with "Love's Theme," that's what really kicked off what we now know as the disco era. Gay men all over the US went crazy over that song.

by Anonymousreply 15908/31/2013

Here's what the Grammys had to say

by Anonymousreply 16008/31/2013

Alright, R98, you have done it now! it is ON, bitch! You don't dare dis The Archies with me around and think you'll get away with it!

by Anonymousreply 16108/31/2013

Those are pretty much all really bad songs. I was in high school at the time and I remember being pissed that we'd missed all the good sixties music.

by Anonymousreply 16208/31/2013

Some from the late part of '74:

Promised Land - Elvis Presley

Soldier Of Fortune - Deep Purple

Killer Queen - Queen

Pick Up The Pieces - Average White Band

S.O.S. (Too Bad) - Aerosmith

It's Midnight - Elvis Presley

Destitute & Losin' - Grand Funk Railroad

You're No Good - Linda Ronstadt

She Knows - Thin Lizzy

Doctor's Orders - Carol Douglas

Rock Bottom - U.F.O.

Bungle In The Jungle - Jethro Tull

Cat's In The Cradle - Harry Chapin

Express - B.T. Express

Black Water - Doobie Brothers

Junior's Farm - McCartney & Wings

Just some I remembered off the top of my head.

by Anonymousreply 16308/31/2013

R165 Juvenile idiot! Take your Ritalin or whatever the doctors pump all you kids full of these days to deaden you minds. If you are disgusted by people talking about music from the past don't open the thread. What the fuck is a Snoop Lion? I like Madonna and Gaga, but the rest on your list is auto-tuned, off the assembly line, disposable trash. And what's with your CAPS LOCK being on? Jeez!

Another thing, calling our music "gay" is probably the nicest compliment you could have given us.

by Anonymousreply 16508/31/2013

I can distinctly remember LaBelle's "Lady Marmalade" being played in gay clubs around Christmas time of '74. I know the song hit the charts in '75, but I clearly remember it in our clubs before it hit the mainstream charts.

Songs I remember dancing to in gay clubs that year. I was 21 and I thought I owned the world. The Good Old Days! =

Rock The Boat - Hues Corp.

Rock Your Baby - George McCrae

Lady Marmalade - LaBelle

Kung Fu Fightin' - Carl Douglas

Never Can Say Goodbye - Gloria Gaynor

Queen Of Clubs - KC & The Sunshine Band

Up For the Downstroke - Parliament

Machine Gun - Commodores

The Night Chicago Died - Paper Lace

Waterloo - Abba

T.S.O.P. - M.F.S.B.

Love's Theme - Love Unlimited Orchestra

Doctor's Orders - Carol Douglas

by Anonymousreply 16708/31/2013

Waitin' For The Bus by ZZ Top

Jesus Just Left Chicago by ZZ Top

La Grange by ZZ Top

Beer Drinkers & Hell Raisers by ZZ Top

Working Man by Rush

What You're Doing by Rush

Train Kept a Rolling by Aerosmith

Lord Of The Thighs by Aerosmith

Burn by Deep Purple

Doctor, Doctor by UFO

Shinin' On by Grand Funk Railroad

Sabbath Bloody Sabbath by Black Sabbath

Killing Yourself To Live by Black Sabbath

Strutter by Kiss

Stone Cold Crazy by Queen

Radar Love by Golden Earring

Bridge Of Sighs by Robin Trower

Dominance And Submission by Blue Oyster Cult

Black Diamond by Kiss

Great White Buffalo by Amboy Dukes

& the entire first Bad Company album.

I was into the hard stuff, atypical of what many of my gay peers and buddies were into. This stuff is what got this guy's blood pumping.

by Anonymousreply 16808/31/2013

Just a quick question. Is there anyone on here that can deny that "You're Having My Baby" by Paul Anka was the worst song of 1974?

I have never met anyone who liked that song. People apparently did, because it sold umpteen copies. The only thing that song was good for was a laugh. Wretched!

by Anonymousreply 16908/31/2013

We had joy, we had fun.

We had Seasons In The Sun...

by Anonymousreply 17008/31/2013

Millie Jackson - If Loving You Is Wrong, I Don't Want to Be Right

by Anonymousreply 17108/31/2013

That Summer I was nine years old. One song defined the Summer of 1974 for me.

"The Loco-Motion" by Grand Funk.

That song was everywhere. It was all over the radio (AM & FM), at restaurants, my favorite pizza place, every jukebox in town, the skating rink... everywhere.

I had the 45 single and played it over and over again every single day for months. I loved the original version by Little Eva, but to me Grand Funk took it "one louder" (to quote the movie "This Is Spinal Tap)."

by Anonymousreply 17208/31/2013

R173 I'm glad to see GFR getting some love on here. My older brother was obsessed with them and got me into them in 1969 or 1970 (when I was 7 or 8) and they were my favorite band until around 1976, when they broke up. When he was not home, I would sneak into his room and play his Grand Funk albums. Finally I got my own. I saw them in concert several times and they just rocked.

In '74, my favorite song was "Shinin' On" - that was one of their best.

by Anonymousreply 17308/31/2013

I know people like to mock Maria Mulduar's Midnight At The Oasis but when I was a kid, that song wasn't like anything else on pop radio at the time - her voice, the slightly risque lyrics and the arrangement were so exotic and mysterious. I used to stop everything when that came on and just dream about tropical islands or starry nights in the Sahara desert. And the guitar solo in this song is still one of the best ever done.

by Anonymousreply 17408/31/2013

Thanks for that clip of Soul Train R147, I love the show and that particular song. It's also great because I can see some of the old "Soul Train Gang" in the clip, they used to be as cool as Don Cornelius and the musical guests, IMO.

by Anonymousreply 17508/31/2013

>>8. Genesis - "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway"

And I'm hovering like a fly, waiting for the windshield on the freeway.

Good stuff.

by Anonymousreply 17608/31/2013

My gods, how did I forget about ELO? El Dorado is one of the best albums of all time. ALL TIME. And the cover art is absolute CLASSIC.

Remember when album cover art *was* ART? Some of those double albums needed to be framed.

Damn, people. What happened? Oh, nevermind. It was MTV.

by Anonymousreply 17708/31/2013

This thread rocks! Keep it comin' love...

by Anonymousreply 17808/31/2013

It's so weird. Some of these songs I know every single word to, can remember riding in the family's Rambler listing to the AM radio hearing these songs. And others I have absolutely no recollection of.

by Anonymousreply 17908/31/2013

1974 was a "bad" year for this then 16 year old boy (but in a great way). My favorite two albums of the year were:

"Bad Company" by Bad Company. Every song was deserving of being a hit. Had my first gay experiences with this playing in the background, while hittin' it in the back seat. The 8-track tape rarely left the player in my first car.

"Badfinger" by Badfinger. Especially the songs "Lonely You" and "I Miss You." It should have been a massive hit album, but their crook manager fucked them so bad that it didn't stand a chance. Such an amazing band that was tragically cut short.

My other favorite LPs that year were "Shinin' On" by Grand Funk and "The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway" by Genesis. Not to forget the brilliant "Band On The Run" by Wings.

What a year!

by Anonymousreply 18008/31/2013

I am staggered by this thread. Thank you to all of you. I am an 18 year old musician and I am always on the lookout for new and exciting music. I have heard a few of the songs listed here but had no clue they were from the '70s, much less that they were all from the same year.

I have spent the last several days going on YouTube and discovering many songs listed here and hearing some of these songs is so emotional for me. I hear the feelings in the songs... the happiness, the sadness, the anguish, the beauty.

I have been downloading songs for the last two days. I have discovered so much new music. Music is such a wonderful, magical thing. Once again, thank you all. More threads like this one, please.

by Anonymousreply 18108/31/2013

TELL ME SOMETHING GOOD

by Anonymousreply 18208/31/2013

The very first Casablanca Records TV spot ever was in 1974.It was for Parliament Funkadelic's UP FOR THE DOWN STROKE.

by Anonymousreply 18308/31/2013

You've got your mother in a whirl. She's not sure if you're a boy or a girl. Hey babe, your hair's alright. Hey babe, lets go out tonight You like me, and I like it all. We like dancing and we look divine. You love bands when they're playing hard. You want more and you want it fast. They put you down, they say I'm wrong. You tacky thing, you put them on.

Rebel Rebel, you've torn your dress. Rebel Rebel, your face is a mess. Rebel Rebel, how could they know? Hot tramp, I love you so!

by Anonymousreply 18408/31/2013

Gentlemen, please. I know something of those years. They were times of great dreams, great aspirations.

by Anonymousreply 18508/31/2013

R186, LOL. Thanks, Khan! I needed that.

In 1974 my world revolved, as it had for three or four years prior, around Grand Funk Railroad. Yes, I was a gay rocker boy and I loved my favorite "American Band." My favorite LP's that year were "Shinin' On" and "All The Girls In The World Beware!"

The best concert I have seen in my life was June 1, 1974 at the L.A. Forum - GRAND FUNK RAILROAD. The show was so good I had tears in my eyes for the entire show. My buddy and I pumped our fists in the air and sang the songs at top volume along with the band. Wet Willie (remember them?) opened the show. Great times!

by Anonymousreply 18608/31/2013

r182

Sweet.

by Anonymousreply 18708/31/2013

I was a big fan of theirs too, R187. When I was in Vietnam (late '69 to late '70), G.F.R. was one of the bands that got us through it all. One song in particular, "I'm Your Captain/Closer to Home", was our anthem. A very emotional song when you're in a strange land with bullets flying over your head and not knowing if you will ever see your home again.

I saw the group a couple of times when I got back Stateside. The last time I saw them was in April of 1974 at the Roanoke Civic Center. They were mesmerizing.

by Anonymousreply 18808/31/2013

What kind of gays are you people? 1974 belonged to Olivia Newton-John. Her album If You Love Me Let Me Know was one of three albums that got me through that year. With songs like these, how could it not have been the best of the year?

"If You Love Me, Let Me Know" - "Mary Skeffington" - "Country Girl" - "I Honestly Love You" - "Free the People" - "The River's Too Wide" - "Home Ain't Home Anymore" - "God Only Knows" - "Changes" - "You Ain't Got the Right"

The only other artist who came close in that year was my girl Dolly Parton. Her Jolene and Love Is Like A Butterfly albums were monumental.

by Anonymousreply 18908/31/2013

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned King Crimson, but I loved their album "Red" - Progressive Rock supremacy.

by Anonymousreply 19008/31/2013

"Seasons In The Sun" was great, but I preferred the flip side to Terry Jack's single. It was a hilarious song called "Put The Bone In" - my sister and I howled with laughter everytime she would play it. We were pervy girls.

by Anonymousreply 19108/31/2013

R20 songs now a days are about the shock. Funny thing when you think of songs from the late 50 even up until the early ninety's you remember other songs maybe one or two from that artist. Now, so many of the artist sound alike. The true talent young artist are fighting just for air-play which is sad.

by Anonymousreply 19208/31/2013

Olivia Newton Bore. No thanks

by Anonymousreply 19308/31/2013

"Autobahn" - KRAFTWERK

"Pick Up The Pieces" - AVERAGE WHITE BAND

"Fire" - OHIO PLAYERS

"Diamond Dogs" - DAVID BOWIE

"It's Only Rock 'n' Roll (But I Like It) - ROLLING STONES

"Best Of My Love" - THE EAGLES

"Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me" - ELTON JOHN

"Rock Me Gently" - ANDY KIM

"Musta Got Lost" - J. GEILS BAND

"Long Live Rock" - THE WHO

Those were my ten favorite songs that year.

by Anonymousreply 19408/31/2013

Loudon Wainwright III - The Swimming Song

by Anonymousreply 19508/31/2013

Gordon Lightfoot - "Carefree Highway"

by Anonymousreply 19608/31/2013

Cat Stevens - "Oh Very Young"

by Anonymousreply 19708/31/2013

In NYC in '74 we were all about Bowie, Iggy Pop & The Stooges, T-Rex, Slade, Mott The Hoople, Lou Reed, etc. At least that's what my circle was into. Most of those friends and most of my old frenemies (lol) are long gone now - I sure miss my glam boyz and gurlz.

by Anonymousreply 19808/31/2013

Something There Is About You / Bob Dylan, from the excellent album Planet Waves.

by Anonymousreply 19908/31/2013

We May Never Love Like This Again (Theme from The Towering Inferno)

by Anonymousreply 20008/31/2013

R187 & R189 I stand in agreement. Grand Funk was a powerhouse live. The critics (especially those stuffy buttholes at Rolling Stone magazine) hated the group intensely. The record buying public sure thought otherwise. I would prefer to hear one Grand Funk album over a thousand albums by some of the artists those critics pushed at the public.

I thought GFR's two 1974 albums, while good, were among their weakest. I think they rebounded in '76 with their final two albums, the highly under-rated "Born To Die" and the terrific "Good Singin', Good Playin'" (which was produced by Frank Zappa).

I wish I had known gay GFR fans back then. I always went their concerts with my straight cousins. They were fun but it would have been cooler to have been there with kindred spirits. Ha-ha.

by Anonymousreply 20108/31/2013

Three Dog Night is another group from the early 70's that put out some classic tunes.

They were about done by '74 but up to that point, they were a fucking HIT MACHINE.

by Anonymousreply 20208/31/2013

Pee-yew! That was a disgusting and terrible band, R202. Horrible noise. To each their own, but I think they were dreck. Gays with good taste had no use for them. Let the Breeders have them.

The best of Nineteen-Seventy-Four,

Barbra Streisand, The Way We Were

That is real music that has, and will forever stand the test of time.

by Anonymousreply 20308/31/2013

My favorite song of 74 is also my favorite song ever.

PIANO MAN by Mr. Billy Joel

This was before he hit the real big time. He became the ultimate rocker of the '70s and '80s soon after this. This was Billy at his best.

by Anonymousreply 20408/31/2013

"I saw my rock and roll past flash before my eyes. I saw something else: I saw rock and roll's future and its name is Bruce Springsteen." - Landau, May 22, 1974

by Anonymousreply 20508/31/2013

R205 Two words I never thought I would hear to describe Billy Joel = "ultimate rocker". Wow. Joel was okay, but hardly classified as rock. He was more tin-pan alley or pop.

by Anonymousreply 20608/31/2013

It must only be straight people posting on this thread. No self-respecting, card-carrying gay would champion any of this "music."

by Anonymousreply 20708/31/2013

Some I liked. If my memory serves, they're all from 1974.

Daybreaker - Electric Light Orchestra

Living In The U.S.A. - Steve Miller Band

Teenage Love Affair - Rick Derringer

Sweet Home Alabama - Lynyrd Skynyrd

Let It Ride - Bachman-Turner Overdrive

Mighty, Mighty - Earth Wind & Fire

Papa Don't Take No Mess - James Brown

Danny's Song - Anne Murray

Free Man In Paris - Joni Mitchell

Can't Get Enough Of Your Love, Babe - Barry White

I Shot The Sheriff - Eric Clapton

by Anonymousreply 20808/31/2013

I can't believe we're over 200 posts into this thread and not one mention of The New York Dolls. My favorite vinyl out that year was their genius "Too Much, Too Soon" - the songs were tremendous: "Puss 'n' Boots", "Chatterbox", "It's Too Late", "Human Being" - I loved Bowie, but The Dolls shit all over him in 1974. This L.P. owned "Diamond Dogs."

by Anonymousreply 20908/31/2013

Barbra Streisand - The Way We Were

Mame - Motion Picture Soundtrack

Candide (Broadway Cast Album)

Gigi (Original Broadway Cast Recording)

Mack & Mabel (Broadway Cast Album) - Bernadette Peters, bitches!!!!!

Cher - Dark Lady

The Sting (Soundtrack) (released 1973)

Forget your trash culture pop, gurls. These were the bomb in '74.

by Anonymousreply 21009/01/2013

R211, Oh, Lordy Lord! Finally, someone with some culture and taste. For my list I would remove the Cher stuff (love her, but she wasn't quite as classy as the rest of the stuff on your list). Otherwise, exquisite taste, love.

Thank you for including Mame. Lucy and Bea were so underrated in that show. That's the film that first got me into musicals when I was a 12 year old boy. Thank you Mommy for taking me to that wonderful show. The Mame Soundtrack was amazing.

by Anonymousreply 21109/01/2013

Begging the ladies pardons at replies #211 and #212, I grew up in Texas and we didn't do Broadway and "Mame" soundtracks. I know we were "rubes" and "uncultured" with "no taste", but c'est la vie!

My favorite party albums of 1974 were these -

1. Queen - "Sheer Heart Attack"

2. Aerosmith - "Get Your Wings"

3. ZZ Top - "Tres Hombres"

4. Queen - "Queen II"

5. Rolling Stones - "It's Only Rock 'n' Roll"

6. Bad Company - "Bad Company"

7. Black Sabbath - "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath"

8. Edgar Winter Group - "Shock Treatment"

9. Robin Trower - "Bridge Of Sighs"

10. Kiss - "Kiss"

(Sorry #212, Bea Arthur and Lucille Ball are nowhere to be found on any of my top ten albums).

by Anonymousreply 21209/01/2013

My song of the year was 'I Honestly Love You' by Olivia Newton-John. Hands down the best.

I really loved "Jolene" by Dolly and "Dark Lady" by Cher, as well.

by Anonymousreply 21309/01/2013

The antidote to everything is always Al Green, even when it is not his greatest.

Sha-la-la,la-la, oh baby.

by Anonymousreply 21409/01/2013

FIRE BY OHIO PLAYERS

SKIN TIGHT BY OHIO PLAYERS

LADY MARMALADE BY LABELLE

GET DANCIN BY DISCO TEX AND THE SEXOLETTES

DANCIN MACHINE BY THE JACKSON 5

UP FOR THE DOWN STROKE BY PARLIAMENT

WHEN WILL I SEE YOU AGAIN BY THREE DEGREES

ROCK YOUR BABY BY GEORGE MCRAE

ROCK THE BOAT BY HUES CORPORATION

HOLLYWOOD SWINGIN BY KOOL N THE GANG

by Anonymousreply 21509/01/2013

I loved "The Man With The Golden Gun" (the theme from the 1974 James Bond movie) by Lulu. She was a class act.

by Anonymousreply 21609/01/2013

I adore Lulu, darling! But she doesn't have the range.

by Anonymousreply 21709/01/2013

I was a country girl of 13 in Arkansas in 1974.

Country Is - Tom T. Hall

Jolene - Dolly Parton

I Honestly Love You - Olivia Newton John

U.S. of A. - Donna Fargo

They Don't Make Em Like My Daddy - Loretta Lynn

Love Is Like A Butterfly - Dolly Parton

by Anonymousreply 21809/01/2013

Off the top of my head I'll try to remember what I was listening to that year. Back then I was a shy, fresh-faced, closeted, but very happy boy of 15, living in Shreveport, LA. Damn, that WAS a long time ago. I left Shreveport decades ago. I wonder how much it has changed.

Albums I loved then:

Blue Oyster Cult -- Secret Treaties

Yes -- Tales from Topographic Oceans

Queen -- Sheer Heart Attack

King Crimson -- Red

Yes -- Relayer

Genesis -- The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway

Steely Dan -- Pretzel Logic

Thin Lizzy -- Nightlife

Alice Cooper -- Greatest Hits

Paul McCartney & Wings -- Band on the Run

by Anonymousreply 21909/01/2013

Z.Z. Top - "Tres Hombres" - released in 1973, but it was my jam throughout all of 1974. It is one of the finest rock albums ever recorded. My older brother bought the vinyl album and kept it on his turntable for months. Then he ended up buying the 8-track tape for his car and he gave me the vinyl. I played it constantly and I still have it to this very day.

That album (along with all of their '70s output) made me proud to be a native Texan.

by Anonymousreply 22009/01/2013

I agree. THE party song of 1974 (far better than the 1962 Little Eva version)

"THE LOCOMOTION" by Grand Funk

Everybody's doin' a brand new dance now. Come on, baby, do the loco-motion. I know you'll get to like it if you give it a chance, now Come on, baby, do the loco-motion.

My little baby sister can do it with ease. It's easier to learn than your A B C's. So come on, come on and do the loco-motion with me.

You got to swing your hips now. Come on, jump up, jump back. Oh, babe, I think you got the knack, whoa, whoa.

Now that you can do it, well let's make a chain now. Come on, baby, do the loco-motion. A chugga, chugga motion like a railroad train now. Come on, baby, do the loco-motion.

Do it nice and easy, now, and don't lose control. A little bit of rhythm and a lot of soul. Well, come on, come on, and do the loco-motion with me.

Whoa whoa, move around the floor in a loco-motion. Come on, baby, do the loco-motion. Do it holdin' hands, if'n you get the notion. Come on, baby, do the loco-motion.

There's never been a dance that's so easy to do It even makes you happy when you're feelin' blue. So come on, come on, and do the loco-motion with me. Come on, baby, do the loco-motion.

I never was a big fan of hard rock or Grand Funk but this was my favorite song of that year (my 15th year). Infectious, fun and it still sounds fresh today. Possibly the best "cover song" ever recorded.

by Anonymousreply 22109/01/2013

Wasn't 1974 the beginning of what would be called disco? Seems that way.

by Anonymousreply 22209/01/2013

R222 I love both versions. Little Eva's was sweet and fun, if a little stilted and stiff. Mark Farner sang the song in an upbeat, natural style and their version took on a new life. It sounded like the band was at your party and playing the song in your back yard. It truly was one of the great party songs that year. Who'd a thunk that a Flint, Michigan heavy metal band could have so much conviction, heart and soul? They did have a lot of R&B influences, so I guess it just came naturally.

R223 Absolutely. 1974 was the real beginning of disco. There were other funky songs before, but '74 really was the catalyst. For the next two years disco kept getting bigger and bigger. Then in 1977 it started to wane. At the end of the year, the movie Saturday Night Fever was released and kickstarted the genre and it became a phenomenon for the next year and a half or two years. Then faded again.

by Anonymousreply 22309/01/2013

you make me feel brand new - the stylistics

by Anonymousreply 22409/01/2013

R221 I was a small child in England in the seventies but I knew ZZ Top very well. They were my father's favourite band. On holidays he would always play their Tres Hombres, Fandango!, Tejas and Deguello cartridges in the car. My entire family knew every word to every song and we would all sing along in the car. I miss my father. He was a fun loving bloke. He was the happiest and kindest man I ever knew. Good memories.

by Anonymousreply 22509/01/2013

The most important song of 1974 was Waterloo by Abba. It started Abba-mania worldwide and made them the biggest act in the world for the next eight years. I hate to think where today's music would have been without Abba.

by Anonymousreply 22609/01/2013

r227, ABBA wasn't nearly as popular in the US as it was in other countries. They were nowhere near superstar status.

by Anonymousreply 22709/01/2013

R221 Ahhh, ZZ Top. One of my favorite bands. Possibly my favorite. I remember all the queer bikers on Galveston Island dancing to ZZ Top on the patio of a bar on the beach back in the day. I wasn't a biker, but my impressionable young ass hung out with some of them though. Good alcohol, hot sex and some memorable times 1969-75.

by Anonymousreply 22809/01/2013

Gordon Lightfoot, the entire "Sundown" LP. Especially the title song.

by Anonymousreply 22909/01/2013

Seeing all this tripe listed just goes to show that disco saved the 70s from mediocrity and assembly line garbage. The first half of the decade was terrible. Disco had feeling, it was exciting and it pulsed with energy, not like all this 1974 lifeless, dreary soft pop, country and dinosaur caveman rock. I was lucky to be in NYC in 1975 when the revolution began. Disco was a Godsend!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 23009/01/2013

Disco sucked.

I hated disco because it nearly killed true funk and R & B. R231 called pre-disco music assembly line music, which most of it wasn't. Disco WAS assembly line product. We have disco to thank for a lot of the shit we are stuck with today like Bieber and Britney.

by Anonymousreply 23109/01/2013

D.I.S.C.O.

DISCO!!!!

DISCO!!!!!

DISCO!!!!!

DISCO WAS THE REAL DEAL YA'LLS.

by Anonymousreply 23209/01/2013

Yes some disco was terrible but the really good disco like Chic and Donna Summer was fantastic music that still holds up today.

The worst music of the 70s was from all of those lame flyover rock bands that have been listed here. Awful stuff.

by Anonymousreply 23309/01/2013

Electric Light Orchestra - "Eldorado" - that album was brilliant.

"Can't Get It Out Of My Head" was bloody poetry.

by Anonymousreply 23409/01/2013

Honey, you people can keep your flyover rock and roll and disco and Seasons in the Sun. For me it was Broadway cast albums and maybe an occasional dip into pop with Barbra or Bette, but no one with any kind of culture listened to most of the godawful racket you people are listing. Quite frankly, most of the songs you people have listed are an embarrassment. I feel bad for you. Have you no culture or sense of taste? No self-respecting gay may would be caught listening to pop-culture top 40 hits and acid rock. Get some culture people. It's not too late.

by Anonymousreply 23509/01/2013

R236 is the type of gay man that I have no tolerance for. They sit on their throne of judgment and point their steely finger down at the lowly minions and rubes at their feet. "If one does not listen to Julie Andrews and read Shakespeare daily, one is not civilized." Pretentious queens sitting on their mountain high pointing why others are inferior.

Meanwhile, that type of gay man (and I knew quite a few when I lived in New York from '87-'96) are usually miserable people because they are so uptight that they will not allow themselves to like anything other than what other culture snobs tell them to like. Jeez Louise!

by Anonymousreply 23609/01/2013

Indeed, r236 is a hater.

And, r235, let us not forget the album cover for Eldorado which will forever be a classic.

I fucking love "I Can't Get it Out of My Head". The music is so hypnotic. One of my all-time favorite songs.

by Anonymousreply 23709/01/2013

The Albums I adored in '74.

Black Sabbath - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath

Queen - II

Aerosmith - Get Your Wings

E.L.O. - Eldorado

Yes - Tales From Topographic Oceans

Blue Oyster Cult - Secret Treaties

Queen - Sheer Heart Attack

Bad Company - Bad Company

Rush - Rush

The period 1970-1979 was such a fertile time for music. Music was from the heart and soul back then. I love '80s music, but that's when it began to be overproduced and people stopped taking chances musically. Every genre of music started following templates and everything was done by the numbers. People stopped taking chances. There were a few exceptions (punk, thrash metal, industrial), but the soul was gone.

by Anonymousreply 23809/02/2013

[quote]Cultured and Civilized

Shove it R236 Bump

by Anonymousreply 23909/02/2013

Good year for music, bad year for everything else.

by Anonymousreply 24009/02/2013

1974 was the year I fell in love with the group Queen. I was attending the University of Texas at Austin when I heard the strangest sounds blasting from a neighboring dorm room. The guy in the room was super cute and obviously gay, but we hadn't officially met. I stuck my head into his room and asked who he was listening to. He invited me in and played me the entirety of the albums "Queen" and "Queen II". I was hooked.

The guy and I ended up becoming more than friends for the next five years, and I became the biggest Queen fan on earth. Still am.

So, my favorite albums of 1974 were "Queen II" and "Sheer Heart Attack."

by Anonymousreply 24109/03/2013

R242 Queen was always awesome, but I preferred those early years (1973-1979). Brilliant group. I was 9 years old in 1974 and my older brother and sister were into Queen big-time. I became a fan by hearing those albums over and over again.

I thank my older siblings (who always loved me and accepted me for who I was/am) for all of the great music they exposed me to (Queen, Zeppelin, Aerosmith, Yes, Styx, Rush, Blue Oyster Cult, The Stones, The Who, The Kinks, Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd, Deep Purple, Grand Funk, Uriah Heep, Montrose, and the list goes on).

by Anonymousreply 24209/03/2013

I can't believe no one has mentioned the sensational Buffy Sainte Marie. Her album "Buffy" was a constant during my budding lesbian teen years. It was released in the Spring of 1974.

It featured the classic songs -

"Can't Believe the Feeling When You're Gone"

"I've Really Fallen for You"

"Sweet Little Vera"

"Star Boy"

"Sweet, Fast Hooker Blues"

"Generation"

"Hey! Baby Howdja Do Me This Way?"

"I Can't Take It No More"

"Waves"

"That's the Way You Fall in Love"

by Anonymousreply 24309/03/2013

Another shout out for the 'Mr. Natural' album by the Bee Gees. I had been a huge fan of the Bee Gees since around 1969 (when I was 8 years old). I bought everything they ever put out with my allowance. I could not believe no one else bought 'Mr. Natural'. It was my favorite LP that year. 'Charade' is the most beautiful song ever recorded, as far as I am concerned.

by Anonymousreply 24409/03/2013

Midnight At The Fucking Oasis by Maria Muldaur owned 1974. Best song of the year, maybe even the decade.

Babs was a close second with The Way We Were

by Anonymousreply 24509/03/2013

BEST ALBUM OF '74 "On The Beach" by NEIL YOUNG.

by Anonymousreply 24609/04/2013

1974 was the year soul music began to be eclipsed by disco (Doctor's Orders, Never Can Say Goodbye, Rock the Boat, Rock Your Baby, etc.), but there were still a lot of soul gems released that year.

Until You Come Back to Me (her last Top 10 pop hit until her 80's revival) -- Aretha Franklin

I Can't Stand the Rain (Eruption and Tina Turner would later remake this one) -- Ann Peebles

Woman to Woman/From His Woman To You -- Shirley Brown sang "Woman to Woman"; Barbara Mason responded with "From His Woman to You"

Sideshow (beautiful Philly-sound ballad) -- Blue Magic

Love Don't Love Nobody (another Philly-based soul classic) -- The Spinners

By 1975/1976, disco songs like "The Hustle," "I Love Music," "That's the Way I Like it" and "Love Hangover" started to dominate the soul charts.

by Anonymousreply 24709/04/2013

Haven't seen them mentioned yet, but the Grateful Dead put out a brilliant studio album in'74-- From the Mars Hotel. "Scarlet Begonias," "Ship of Fools," "Unbroken Chain," China Doll," "US Blues"-- all classics, many of them later covered by more mainstream artists like Elvis Costello, Jimmy Buffet, and that "Luka" singer.

by Anonymousreply 24809/06/2013

I like pretty much all of those pop songs from the year (and the whole decade, in general) that many people thought were bad. I'll take "You're Having My Baby", "The Night Chicago Died" and "Billy, Don't Be A Hero" in a second over 99.9% of what's on the charts today.

A few more favorites from 1974:

"Carefree Highway" - Gordon Lightfoot "Stop And Smell The Roses" - Mac Davis "My Melody Of Love" - Bobby Vinton "I'll Have To Say I Love You In A Song" - Jim Croce "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds" - Elton John "I Can Help" - Billy Swan "Dark Lady" - Cher "I Won't Last A Day Without You" - Carpenters "Show & Tell" - Al Wilson "Longfellow Serenade" - Neil Diamond

by Anonymousreply 24909/13/2013

My Favorite Songs of 1974 ---

1. The Air That I Breathe - The Hollies

2. Band On The Run - Wings

3. Shinin' On - Grand Funk

4. When Will I See You Again - Three Degrees

5. Crazy Little Child - Alice Cooper

6. The Night Chicago Died - Paper Lace

7. Lady - Styx

8. You Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet - B.T.O.

9. Can't Get It Out Of My Head - E.L.O.

10. Killer Queen - Queen

by Anonymousreply 25009/22/2013

R251,

"5. Crazy Little Child - Alice Cooper"

I had almost forgotten about that gem. I loved that "Muscle of Love" album in my teens. Very diverse. Probably the original band's weakest album overall, but still phenomenal. Another favorite on that LP was "Hard Hearted Alice", a haunting and beautiful track. I used to listen to that album all day long.

Trivia: The Pointer Sisters, Ronnie Spector and Liza (Yes, THAT Liza) Minnelli sing back-up vocals on most of the "Muscle of Love" album tracks. Very interesting. A terrific Alice album. The last great one in my humble opinion.

by Anonymousreply 25109/22/2013

I love music from the 70s but I still haven't deduced whether it was actually good music or if I'm just nostalgic for my childhood.

by Anonymousreply 25209/22/2013

Here's a list of the best of the year. I didn't realize the "It's Only Rock N Roll" album was so revered, I know it kinda falls in their golden period, a hot streak that didn't end till the early 80s. Don't like the title track very much so never thought of the album. This is a year I need to get more familiar with.

by Anonymousreply 25309/22/2013

R255, you need a spanking.

And a bukkake.

by Anonymousreply 25509/22/2013

R252 back again. I was so excited to be reminded about some the favorite songs of my youth by the previous poster that I forgot to list my favorite songs of '74:

1. Hard Hearted Alice by Alice Cooper

2. Don't Let Me Down by Bad Company

3. Teenage Lament '74 by Alice Cooper

4. Band On The Run by Paul McCartney & Wings

5. Time Waits For No One by The Rolling Stones

6. Long Live Rock by The Who

7. Crazy Little Child by Alice Cooper

8. Let Me Roll It by Paul McCartney & Wings

9. Ready For Love by Bad Company

10. Muscle of Love by Alice Cooper

With special thanks to R251 for reminding me about the album I loved most back in the day. I'm going to have to get online and order that "Muscle of Love" CD now. Rock on!

by Anonymousreply 25609/22/2013

Had my first Top Ten Country hit in '74, bitches!

It was my first of 32, and 16 of those hit No. 1! Plus I had gorgeous hair.

by Anonymousreply 25709/22/2013

"Be Thankful For What You've Got" - William DeVaughn "Feel Like Making Love" - Roberta Flack "This Town Ain't Big Enough For The Both Of Us" - Sparks

by Anonymousreply 25809/22/2013

[quote]Sideshow (Blue Magic)

OMG I LOVE that song and foolishly didn't realise it was a cover. It was a hit in the UK in a reggae version.

by Anonymousreply 25909/22/2013

When Will I Be Loved? - Linda Ronstadt

The Locomotion - Grand Funk Railroad

The Night Chicago Died - Paper Lace

Burn - Deep Purple

Fire - Ohio Players

Sound Your Funky Horn - KC & The Sunshine Band

Train Kept A Rollin' - Aerosmith

Band On The Run - McCartney & Wings

Promised Land - Elvis Presley

Rebel, Rebel - David Bowie

Walking In Rhythm - Blackbyrds

The Air That I Breathe - The Hollies

by Anonymousreply 26007/30/2014

"Cat's in the Cradle" by Harry Chapin

"Bennie and the Jets" by Elton John

"I Honestly Love You" by Olivia Newton-John

"Strutter" by Kiss

"Radar Love" by Golden Earring

"Band on the Run" by Paul McCartney & Wings

"Best of My Love" by the Eagles

"Seasons in the Sun" by Terry Jacks

"Rock Your Baby" by George McCrae

"Don't Let the Sun Go Down On Me" by Elton John

"Bad Company" by Bad Company

by Anonymousreply 26107/30/2014

I hope somebody mentioned "Jolene" by Dolly Parton. Best song EVAH, Bitches! I skimmed through and did not see it.

by Anonymousreply 26207/30/2014

A Few I Can Think Of:

Love's Theme, Love Unlimited Orchestra

Come And Get Your Love, Redbone

Dancing Machine, Jackson 5

The Loco-Motion, Grand Funk Railroad

TSOP, MFSB

The Streak, Ray Stevens

Bennie And The Jets, Elton John

One Hell Of A Woman, Mac Davis

Until You Come Back To Me (That's What I'm Gonna Do), Aretha Franklin

Jungle Boogie, Kool and The Gang

by Anonymousreply 26307/30/2014

A second for R19!

Add Taylor Swift to the shit (LONG) list of today's performers who cannot sing. AND put that Idina (I scream shitty songs) at the top.

WTF happened to really good music from about 1974--1985?

and don't tell me the shit today is better, b/c it is truly s h i t

by Anonymousreply 26407/30/2014

"Be Thankful For What You've Got" - William DeVaughn

by Anonymousreply 26507/30/2014

My 1974 Highlights:

"Queen II" and "Sheer Heart Attack" by Queen. They had two great albums in '74.

The first KISS album was/is a power pop-pop metal classic. Still their best.

The first Bad Company album is amazing to this day. Not a dud track on it. A classic!

Ohio Players had a killer album with "Fire."

"Band On The Run" was, by far, the best post-Beatles McCartney album.

by Anonymousreply 26607/30/2014

A few classic songs -

"No Woman - No Cry," Bob Marley & the Wailers

"It's Only Rock 'n' Roll," The Rolling Stones

"Time Waits for No One," The Rolling Stones

"I Honestly Love You," Olivia Newton-John

"Rock Steady," Bad Co.

"Easy Street," Edgar Winter Group (my fave song of that year!)

by Anonymousreply 26707/30/2014

"Sound Your Funky Horn" - K.C. & The Sunshine Band. Huge in gay clubs in '74.

by Anonymousreply 26807/30/2014

Rock On by David Essex was everywhere that year. Ditto for Rock the Boat by Hues Corp., Band on the Run by Wings and Loco-motion by Grand Funk.

by Anonymousreply 26907/30/2014

Robin Trower's 'Bridge of Sighs' album was my favorite of '74. A sonic masterpiece. I was 14 and played it religiously. Reminds me of my first love, Timothy. God, he was to die for!

by Anonymousreply 27007/30/2014

R270 - I loved Trower. Also Thin Lizzy's "Night Life." "Still In Love With You" by Thin Lizzy is my fave song that year.

by Anonymousreply 27107/30/2014

1974's best song was I WILL ALWAYS LOVE YOU by Dolly Parton. Far better than Whitney's overwrought version from the early '90s. Dolly's had far more heart and emotion.

SHAME, SHAME, SHAME by Shirley & Co. - an early disco classic.

by Anonymousreply 27207/30/2014

1 Carl Douglas - Kung Fu Fighting

2 Terry Jacks - Seasons in the Sun

3 Abba - Waterloo

4 George McCrae - Rock Your Baby

5 Bachman-Turner Overdrive - You Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet

6 The Rubettes - Sugar Baby Love

7 Steve Miller Band - The Joker

8 The Hollies - The Air That I Breathe

9 Paper Lace - The Night Chicago Died

10 McCartney & Wings - Band On the Run

by Anonymousreply 27307/30/2014

Electric Light Orchestra had a top ten single with "Can't Get It Out Of My Head" and a #16 album in the U.S., but failed to chart in their UK homeland. "El Dorado" was an amazing LP.

by Anonymousreply 27407/30/2014

That first Bad Company album was a monster. It was EVERYWHERE.

by Anonymousreply 27507/30/2014

1974 SUCKED. No Bruno Mars, No Robin Thicke, No Madonna, No Maroon 5, No Janet Jackson, No Lady Ga-Ga, No One Direction, No Justin Timberlake, No Daft Punk!!!! I'm glad I wasn't born then. My parents weren't even born untill 1978 & 79. Old people shit.

by Anonymousreply 27607/30/2014

"We May Never Love Like This Again" performed by Maureen McGovern. From the movie, "The Towering Inferno." Beautiful song!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 27707/30/2014

Queen of Clubs - K.C. & the Sunshine Band

by Anonymousreply 27807/30/2014

Diamond Dogs album - David Bowie

by Anonymousreply 27907/30/2014

Some bad asssssssss shit... Funkadelic - Standing on the Verge of Getting It On. Pure funk shit from start to finish.

by Anonymousreply 28007/30/2014

A few from my 1974 heavy metal phase.

Doctor, Doctor by U.F.O.

Rock Bottom by U.F.O.

Black Diamond by Kiss

Strutter by Kiss

Deuce by Kiss

Stone Cold Crazy by Queen

Sabbra Cadabra by Black Sabbath

Dominance & Submission by B.O.C.

Wild Cherry by Foghat

-- by Eric

by Anonymousreply 28107/30/2014

Dancin Machine by Jackson Five, Bitches!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 28207/30/2014

R276, you are hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 28307/30/2014

My favorite from 1974.

by Anonymousreply 28407/30/2014

I wasn't born yet (until 1981). I didn't realize there were that many great songs from 1974. I know a lot of them and love them! I intend to explore the rest on YouTube. Thanks guys and girls!

by Anonymousreply 28507/30/2014

Linda Ronstadt's "Dark End of the Street"

by Anonymousreply 28607/30/2014

Court and Spark, by Joni Mitchell. The whole album.

by Anonymousreply 28707/30/2014

Can somebody put R276 back in the closet?

by Anonymousreply 28807/30/2014

Well in 35 years or so R276 won't know what hit him!

by Anonymousreply 28907/30/2014

"The Night Chicago Died" (Paper Lace) ruled my world in 1974.

Also: "Band on the Run" (Wings) and "The Air That I Breathe" (Hollies).

by Anonymousreply 29007/31/2014

Great year for tunes. I also loved 1975, 1976, 1977, 1978 & 1979.

by Anonymousreply 29107/31/2014

I was 9 in 1974. I spent the year singing along to most of these on my Mr. Microphone. Remember those? LOL.

I wish there was a thread on Music of 1976 and or 1977. That was a killer year for tunes. I would create one but my subscription lapsed and I haven't paid my 18 bucks yet.

by Anonymousreply 29207/31/2014

R288/R289, I think R276 was using the device known as sarcasm to make a point. Obviously it went right over your heads (or maybe I'm giving R276 too much credit).

by Anonymousreply 29307/31/2014

1973 was better than 1974. In 1973, Led Zep had Houses of the Holy. Pink Floyd had Dark Side of the Moon. The Stones had Goats Head Soup. The Who had Quadrophenia, Deep Purple had Made In Japan, Grand Funk had We're An American Band. Iggy & The Stooges had Raw Power.

by Anonymousreply 29407/31/2014

Jim Croce was the man. Such a sad loss.

by Anonymousreply 29507/31/2014

Olivia Newton John was the girl in 1974! Dolly too. Cher rocked it in '74 with Dark Lady! Diana Ross was resting but she had a huge year in '76. Babs, of course, was on fire with the exciting The Way We Were (best song of the rock era, IMHO).

by Anonymousreply 29607/31/2014

BILLY JOEL PIANO MAN ROCKED '74 HARD!

by Anonymousreply 29707/31/2014

Excellent year!

by Anonymousreply 29808/01/2014

I Was Quite The Audiophile in '74 (I was 16).

My Favorite Albums 1974 ---

The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway - Genesis

Sheer Heart Attack - Queen

Secret Treaties - Blue Oyster Cult

Diamond Dogs - David Bowie

Band On The Run - Paul McCartney & Wings

On The Beach - Neil Young

Crime Of The Century - Supertramp

El Dorado - E.L.O.

Bad Company - Bad Company

Kiss - Kiss

Hotter Than Hell - Kiss

Court & Spark - Joni Mitchell

It's Only Rock & Roll - Rolling Stones

Red - King Crimson

Rush - Rush

Queen II - Queen

Greatest Hits - Alice Cooper

by Anonymousreply 29908/04/2014

I heard my mama cry. I heard her pray The Night Chicago Died. Brother what a night it really was... yes, indeed.

by Anonymousreply 30008/04/2014

BEST SONGS

"Nothing From Nothing" by Billy Preston

"TSOP (The Sound of Philadelphia)" by MFSB

"Laughter in the Rain" by Neil Sedaka

"You Make Me Feel Brand New" by Stylistics

"It's Only Rock 'n' Roll" by Rolling Stones

by Anonymousreply 30108/05/2014

Best song of 1974 most people didn't hear until the '80s or '90s:

by Anonymousreply 30208/05/2014

Another song from Big Star's 3rd album, recorded in 1974.

How I wish I'd heard Big Star in the early '70s.

by Anonymousreply 30308/05/2014

I ADORED BIG STAR!

by Anonymousreply 30408/05/2014

When did you first hear of Big Star, R304? And have you heard Alex singing "Trains and Boats and Planes"?

by Anonymousreply 30508/05/2014

R305, the first time? 1973-ish. I was in 7th grade. My older brother loved them. Yes, I have heard TB&P. Love it!

by Anonymousreply 30608/05/2014

Did you live in Memphis? Almost no one heard Big Star until the '80s.

by Anonymousreply 30708/05/2014

My fave song of 74 was "I'm Leaving It All Up To You" by Donny & Marie Osmond. It was truly an under-rated song. I lived for the Osmonds and Partridge Family LPs back then.

I also loved "I Honestly Love You" by Livvy, and "Jolene" by Dolly. "Dark Lady" by Cher was awesome.

by Anonymousreply 30808/05/2014

OLIVIA NEWTON-JOHN RULED 1974 WITH AN IRON HAND. NOBODY ELSE COMPARED.

by Anonymousreply 30908/05/2014

Whenever the word "insipid" comes up in discussing music, ONJ is the first name that comes to mind.

by Anonymousreply 31008/06/2014

Happy "Nixon Resigns" day, everyone.

by Anonymousreply 31108/08/2014

Shit "music" like these songs from 1974 are why HIP HOP was NECESSARY! Hip Hop killed all this joy fun seasons in the sun, from the ozarks, country folk shit. Say what you want to about Hip Hop but at least it ain't boring, plain as white bread crap.

by Anonymousreply 31208/11/2014

R312, Kindly get a life! Hip Hop was n-e-v-e-r necessary.

by Anonymousreply 31308/11/2014

r313 is right. And R312 is a RACIST!

by Anonymousreply 31408/11/2014

R312: Hip-hop also killed disco and Philly soul as well as all kinds of music with melody.

by Anonymousreply 31508/11/2014

"Time Waits For No One" - The Rolling Stones (my favorite song of all-time).

"It's Only Rock 'n' Roll (But I Like It)" - The Rolling Stones

"If You Can't Rock Me" - The Rolling Stones

"Ain't Too Proud To Beg" - The Rolling Stones

"Fingerprint File" - The Rolling Stones

I was 14 in 1974 and living in Dallas, TX. I was a massive Stones fan, and I still am. I loved/love the "It's Only Rock 'n' Roll" album - I had a HUGE crush on blond guitarist Mick Taylor (yummy yum yum), Jagger too.

by Anonymousreply 31609/30/2014

R316, Not their best album, but it was absolutely amazing. I preferred "Sticky Fingers" (1971) and "Let It Bleed" (1969). I'm a huge RS fan too - since childhood, circa 1965.

by Anonymousreply 31709/30/2014

Todd Rundgren

Steve Miller

Steely Dan

Queen

Joni Mitchell

Jackson Browne

Eagles

Linda Ronstadt

Fleetwood Mac (before Buckingham Nicks)

Eric Clapton

Doobie Brothers

Carole King (Jazzman)

Bob Dylan -- Blood on the Tracks

Big Star

Aerosmith

by Anonymousreply 31809/30/2014

R316, LOL, I grew up in Texas (Austin) too. I just heard a triple-shot of tunes from '74 on the local classic rock radio station. They just played "It's Only Rock & Roll" (Stones), "Band On The Run" (Wings), and "Bad Company" (Bad Company). It took me back.

I felt a tear forming in my eye. I was transported back to '74. I was 16, in High School, working at Bill Miller BBQ in the evenings, and having some great, late night tailgate parties with my hot co-workers in the work parking lot. Lots of beer and smoke-ables. Those were fun, carefree days.

by Anonymousreply 31909/30/2014

R319, you sound hot. I would have loved to suck your dick behind the BBQ back then!

by Anonymousreply 32009/30/2014

'Devil Gate Drive' - Suzi Quatro

by Anonymousreply 32109/30/2014

R320, LOL.

by Anonymousreply 32209/30/2014

The first two Kiss albums ("Kiss" & "Hotter Than Hell") were released in '74 and both were excellent.

by Anonymousreply 32309/30/2014

I haven't read the rest of the thread yet but my choices would be "Back Home Again" by John Denver, "I Honestly Love You" by Olivia Newton-John, "Locomotion" by Grand Funk, and "It's Only Rock & Roll" by Rollin' Stones.

by Anonymousreply 32409/30/2014

Fire by OHIO PLAYERS.

by Anonymousreply 32509/30/2014

Destitute & Losin' - Grand Funk Railroad

by Anonymousreply 32609/30/2014

Try and I might, I can never forget "Afternoon Delight" and "Rock the Boat" -- both played on the radio incessantly.

by Anonymousreply 32709/30/2014

YOU'RE NO GOOD, Linda Ronstadt

REBEL REBEL, David Bowie

DIAMOND DOGS, David Bowie

by Anonymousreply 32809/30/2014

Musta Got Lost by J. Geils Band. Kind of a forgotten song now but it was THE party jam in 1974. So many wild times to that jam.

by Anonymousreply 32909/30/2014

I was just comparing the 1974 and 1984 music threads. Damn, '74 was soooooo much better. I loved '84, but damn...

by Anonymousreply 33009/30/2014

"THE BITCH IS BACK"

by Anonymousreply 33109/30/2014

Glycerine Queen - Suzi Quatro

by Anonymousreply 33209/30/2014

whatever gets you through the night - john lennon & elton john

by Anonymousreply 33309/30/2014

"Tin Man" by America

by Anonymousreply 33410/01/2014

STRUTTER by Kiss

by Anonymousreply 33510/01/2014

"Laughtah In The Rain", bitches!

by Anonymousreply 33610/01/2014

To me old music (older than late 90s or early 2000s) is unlistenable. With modern technology artists are better able to create quality music. Today we have better singers, better songwriters, better musicians, and more listenable tunes. Say what you will about AutoTune but it has helped immessurably. Maybe my ears are too young for old timey noise. So sue me.

by Anonymousreply 33710/01/2014
Need more help? Click Here.