Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Five new J.D. Salinger books to be published?

A new documentary and biography claim that American author J.D Salinger, who died in 2010, left detailed instructions for at least five new books to be published after his death.

The reclusive author of ‘Catcher in the Rye’ last published in 1965, and lived in seclusion in New Hampshire in the northeastern United States until his death nearly five decades later aged 91.

While those close to him said he continued to write, what he was working on has long been shrouded in mystery.

The New York Times on Sunday reported that a new documentary and book, both titled “Salinger,” include detailed assertions that Mr. Salinger left orders for his estate to publish at least five additional books.

The release of the unpublished work — including new stories about the Glass family who have featured in a number of his stories such as ‘Franny and Zooey’ — is set to take place between 2015 and 2020.

Another one of the books due for release is “The Last and Best of the Peter Pans” which was known to exist as an unpublished work.

The new works also include fresh stories about Holden Caulfield, who generations of readers know from the “Catcher in the Rye,” as well as a novel based on his relationship with his first wife, and a novella modeled on his own war experiences.

The book and film cite two “independent and separate” anonymous sources for the information on the planned posthumous works.

The documentary is a result of nine years of research by filmmaker Shane Salerno, and will be released on September 6. The accompanying book is co-written by David Shields and will be published on September 3.

According to publisher Simon & Schuster, the 720-page book is based on interviews with more than 200 people and is “the definitive biography of one of the most beloved and mysterious figures of the twentieth century.”

by Anonymousreply 4609/09/2013

I would have been really excited about this years ago when I was a big Salinger fan, but I am still interested. It will be interesting to see the quality of the work. He seemed to be getting a bit more abstract and into the esoteric eastern religion he was interested in in his later work.

by Anonymousreply 108/28/2013

Aren't any DLers excited about this? This is Xmas for literature fans!

Now all we need is Sylvia Plath's last volume of her diaries!

by Anonymousreply 208/29/2013

YAY!

by Anonymousreply 308/29/2013

Don't count on it R2. That diary went up in smoke much like Sylvia.

by Anonymousreply 408/29/2013

R5, Vanity Fair most definitely is literature!

by Anonymousreply 608/29/2013

Younger gays are still forced to read his crap in high school, so yes, they know who cunt was.

by Anonymousreply 708/29/2013

Pick up a good book. They're not heavy.

by Anonymousreply 808/29/2013

{quote]Vanity Fair most definitely is literature!

Ha, you're such a wise ass R6.

by Anonymousreply 908/29/2013

Wonder if Joyce Maynard will try to cash in on this somehow. Wikipedia says she's now married to a lawyer in San Francisco. Bitch just can't seem to make it on her own.

by Anonymousreply 1008/29/2013

"Now all we need is Sylvia Plath's last volume of her diaries!"

Working title: "Oventualities".

by Anonymousreply 1108/29/2013

That was stupid r11.

by Anonymousreply 1208/29/2013

I think it's a great idea. There's no reason Salinger can't keep turning out novels, like Tolkien or V. C. Andrews.

by Anonymousreply 1308/29/2013

I never ready Catcher in the Rye in school, so I read it a year or two ago. I think it is one of those books you need to read when you are 16, otherwise Holden just might annoy you by the end.

by Anonymousreply 1408/29/2013

I thought so, too, R4. Then I heard a rumour that it may actually exist somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 1508/30/2013

The reviews of the bio have been poor-to-mixed R14 is spot-on with his assessment. I will go even further and say Salinger was very special to a certain postwar generation of schoolboys.

I could be wrong but I just don't see anyone born after 1980 getting excited about Catcher In the Rye at all.

by Anonymousreply 1608/30/2013

yes, I don't think the younger set got into him

by Anonymousreply 1708/30/2013

Perhaps he thought critics would consider it crass to title one of the novels "Catcher in the Rye II: Holden Goes to College"

by Anonymousreply 1808/30/2013

Does the younger set read?

by Anonymousreply 1908/30/2013

J.D Salinger is my JAM! I LOVED 'Less Than Zero'!

by Anonymousreply 2008/30/2013

no, they don't R19

by Anonymousreply 2108/30/2013

CATCHER is meh. It's all about FRANNY AND ZOOEY.

by Anonymousreply 2208/30/2013

FRANNY and ZOOEY

by Anonymousreply 2308/30/2013

Holden's brother died and he had a breakdown. I think it was heartbreaking. Although to be truthful, I have not read it in years. Clearly it still stands up.

by Anonymousreply 2408/30/2013

I don't understand all the latter-day shitting on CitR.... it's a great book simply for the description of NY city life alone.

by Anonymousreply 2508/30/2013

Interested, not excited. I might pick up one for old times sake.

by Anonymousreply 2608/30/2013

Catcher is the most overrated book in American lit. By a mile. I LOVE Raise High The Roof Beam Carpenters, however.

by Anonymousreply 2708/30/2013

Holden Caulfield is literature's greatest standup comedian.

by Anonymousreply 2808/30/2013

I feel like Holden's story was pretty much told in "Catcher." I don't want any more stories about him, even if they were written around the same time.

by Anonymousreply 2908/30/2013

I liked most of "Nine Stories" but for the life of me can never finish "Franny and Zooey." The Glass family doesn't interest me as much as it did Salinger- though I also enjoyed "Raise High the Roof Beam" and would love to do a walking tour of where the events of the story take place, where the Schraffts would have been located...

by Anonymousreply 3008/30/2013

I loved that little bit in Woody Allen's Radio Days that was a sort of parody on the Glass family.

by Anonymousreply 3108/30/2013

Uncle Wiggly in Connecticut was made into a sudsy Susan Hayward movie called My Foolish Heart around 1950. If remembered at all, its mainly for the lovely title tune.

But it apparently set Salinger against ever selling his work to the cinema again.

by Anonymousreply 3308/30/2013

Why the hell is Jude Apatow in the documentary? I couldn't think of anyone less Salinger-like.

by Anonymousreply 3408/30/2013

Apatow steps off the pages of Salinger book.

by Anonymousreply 3508/30/2013

[quote]I don't understand all the latter-day shitting on CitR.... it's a great book simply for the description of NY city life alone.

And it's told in such a vivid voice.

by Anonymousreply 3608/30/2013

There are apparently some "shocking" revelations in the book and the movie that we're not supposed to tell. Is the existence of these books the revelation? or is there something else we're supposed to keep secret?

by Anonymousreply 3708/30/2013

He captured the zeitgeist. But he's no longer relevant.

by Anonymousreply 3808/30/2013

He had terrible taste in girl friends.

by Anonymousreply 3908/30/2013

"There are apparently some "shocking" revelations in the book and the movie that we're not supposed to tell"

The book has already been panned, and it seems to me the way the authors/filmakers are handling the documentary's publicity is COMPLETELY wrong. They seem to be marketing it to the "reality show" crowd, who have no idea who is/was JD Salinger.

by Anonymousreply 4009/01/2013

I like him and like the Glass Family stories in general, but I find A Perfect Day for Bananafish extremely upsetting due to the implied pedophilia. And how it still holds Seymour up as an idolised hero...

by Anonymousreply 4109/01/2013

"When the war is over, I'd like nothing more than to be a dead cat." - Seymour

by Anonymousreply 4209/01/2013

implied pedophilia? I think Seymour is pure in heart, although I can see how someone might perceive this in the story.

by Anonymousreply 4309/07/2013

Do the docu or bio out him as a homo?

He was a homo.

by Anonymousreply 4409/07/2013

Any updates on this?

For Esmee With Love and Squalor ranks up there with the best short stories, but nothing else I've read by Salinger comes close.

by Anonymousreply 4509/07/2013

The Guardian had an article about this and someone wrote this in the comments:

"I have a friend in New York who was a close (literary) friend of Salinger in his reclusive later life. She told me that, on a visit to his home, she saw a fireproof safe, of walk-in proportions, completely filled with finished unpublished typescripts - his children's' inheritance. How many books this will translate into, presumably none but his heirs and executors currently know."

by Anonymousreply 4609/09/2013
Need more help? Click Here.