Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

THE BOOK : Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex: But Were Afraid to Ask ....

I think it came out in about 1969.. My parents bought it and it was around our house when I was growing up. It used to depress the hell out of me. I can't have been the only one. Made all gays sound like sad lonely perverts.

Anyone else here remember the book ( as opposed to the film)?

by Anonymousreply 3308/30/2013

Before my time. What did it say about gay life?

by Anonymousreply 108/26/2013

It was a disgusting book! It probably did more to destroy gay men's lives than any other book since the Bible. On the other hand, the only mention of lesbians was in the chapter on prostitution.

by Anonymousreply 208/26/2013

From wiki:

"The book was translated into 54 languages and sold in 52 countries and ultimately reached more than 150 million readers.[citation needed] In 1972 it was parodied by Woody Allen in the comedy film of the same name."

Apparently it was updated in 1999. Boy, he had a lot of work to do.

by Anonymousreply 308/26/2013

I remember the book, and the anti-gay comments.

I was about 12 when I read it, and although I found it interesting from a factual POV, even then I could tell it was written by someone with the prejudices of a straight male swinger.

by Anonymousreply 408/26/2013

The gays insert lightbulbs in their asses. I remember reading that when I was 12 or 13 and feeling sort of sick.

Thanks, Dr. Reuben!

by Anonymousreply 508/26/2013

Nancy Friday's "Men in Love" isn't much better. The section on homosexuality is tiny and the only real gay voice is from a very self-loathing man. Pretty sick shit.

by Anonymousreply 608/26/2013

At the link, Gore Vidal rips the book apart and then stomps on it for good measure.

by Anonymousreply 708/26/2013

Thanks for the link, R7. Bracing and blissful to read a piece by Vidal that's new to me. Gore gores and tosses as only he could.

by Anonymousreply 808/27/2013

I once went into a book store to by a copy of Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex: But Were Afraid to Ask.......(sobs) I was afraid to ask for the book.

by Anonymousreply 908/27/2013

I think if Gore hadn't rambled on so long his piece might have been more effective.

by Anonymousreply 1108/27/2013

Thanks for that r7. Vidal sure could eviscerate the bullshitters!

by Anonymousreply 1208/27/2013

R11, there are things other than comic books, Mary.

by Anonymousreply 1308/27/2013

I remember it said that bowling alley men's rooms were a major location for gay sex.

It made it seem like all gay sex was anonymous quickies. There was no mention of long term relationships.

by Anonymousreply 1408/27/2013

Agreed, R11. I don't think anyone edited his article--I guess perhaps they were less vigilant about that sort of thing in those days. It's really interesting for me to find out what a load of crap this book is...I remember it being a prominently featured title back then, but since I was only a kid, I never knew anything more about it other than the catchy and edgy title. It's pretty surprising to find out it was written by such an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 1508/27/2013

R10, peddle your homophobic shit somewhere else.

by Anonymousreply 1608/27/2013

R13 has no idea how queeny & stupid she sounds.

by Anonymousreply 1708/27/2013

by Anonymousreply 1808/27/2013

Ann Landers also referenced the book when dispensing advice to desperate gay teens seeking affirmation.

by Anonymousreply 1908/27/2013

So has the twit who wrote it ever been called out on his homophobia? He's still living.

by Anonymousreply 2008/27/2013

Man that Gore Vidal piece was exhausting! Spot- on, witty, and interesting.....but exhausting!

by Anonymousreply 2108/27/2013

You don't have to read all of it, I skimmed and got the gist.

by Anonymousreply 2208/27/2013

One of the merits of 'The New York Review of Books' is that it allows essayists generous discursive space.

The essay was Vidal's best form, and the NYRB let him flourish. He dismantles what was clearly pop junk sexology with wit and erudition. The piece never bores, and the barbs hit home.

Such a backward bestseller deserved a meticulous takedown. Vidal's excellent essay will outlive its catchpenny subject.

by Anonymousreply 2308/27/2013

Woody Allen's movie on the subject was far better

by Anonymousreply 2408/27/2013

Gore Vidal's review was excellent, especially for the fact that it was actually published in 1970. He does however basically call the author an uptight Jew.

by Anonymousreply 2508/27/2013

I remember being fascinated with the part about men giving each other blow jobs in bowling alley restrooms.

And the tip to avoid detection by the police: Have the guy being blown stand in a shopping bag.

by Anonymousreply 2608/27/2013

I too, remember the bowling alley thing. In fact, it's the only part of the book that I remember.

I was 11 and that year I requested that my birthday party be held at the Bowling Alley!

didn't score, though.

by Anonymousreply 2708/27/2013

Gore Vidal was anti-Semitic.

by Anonymousreply 2808/27/2013

Hilarious r27, you little perv.

by Anonymousreply 2908/27/2013

I think I remember a pickle jar and a light bulb.

by Anonymousreply 3008/27/2013

I liked the opening of Gore's review so much I just quoted it on my profile on a bdsm site. It's about how people who are cutesy about sex are uptight. I hate that especially with bdsm which is supposed to be dark and serious, the cutesy ruins it.

by Anonymousreply 3108/27/2013

[quote]Gore Vidal was anti-Semitic.

Yet shared his life with Howard Austen, Jewish.

by Anonymousreply 3208/27/2013

I remember coming back home from playing outside and I had left "Everything You wanted to Know" out of the bookcase. I did get a talking to by my parents, that was gentle and saying they didn't agree with everything in it. I was completely humiliated. I got on my bike and rode for an hour. Plus, I was nervous that the book was open to the gay pages. Very stressful.

One other fucked up thing about this book is that it talks about masterbation, and it describes that it's done by rubbing the genitals up and down the sheets. And that's how I did for years when I was young. It took a lot of hard work and practice (and guidance from my friend Steve) to realize you stroke just your dick. Oye. this book was bad news for me!

by Anonymousreply 3308/30/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!