Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Phone Mishaps

Two phone mishaps within 20 minutes witnessed over weekend:

1) Twenty-something hipster (I could tell he was a hipster due to the heavy wool cap he was wearing pulled down over his ears in 80+ degree weather), face buried in phone, steps right out into traffic without looking, causing car to slam on brakes to avoid him, with car #2 smashing into rear of car #1.

2) Middle-aged woman holding door to shop open while an older woman exits in a walker. Young woman in short lime-colored sundress walking briskly along sidewalk, face buried in phone, walks right into open glass door, falls to pavement, and then glares at both door and woman holding it, clearing placing blame for mishap on them.

#1 pissed me off; almost choked from laughing at #2.

A few weeks back watched another guy walking into grocery store, mesmerized by phone, stubs his toe on curb and falls flat on face. Looks angrily at curb afterwards.

What a bunch of maroons.

by Anonymousreply 1408/26/2013

Several months ago I was talking down a busy street in Toronto and I spotted a young 20-something girl heavily engrossed in her phone, earbuds in, walking towards me. Normally I would step out of the way of someone who is obviously not paying attention, but this time I decided I wouldn't. I kept walking at a normal pace in a straight line, she kept coming towards me, completely oblivious to the world around her. Just as we were about to have a head-on crash she realized that I was there right in front of her. She looked up, shocked and flustered that there are other people in the world, mumbled a sort of apology and stepped around me.

I had girded myself for a head-on crash with this nitwit, but it wasn't meant to be.

by Anonymousreply 108/26/2013

These never happened: OP, r1, and all the rest that follow.

by Anonymousreply 208/26/2013

I assure you it did, R2

by Anonymousreply 308/26/2013

R2 obviously trying to justify his own idiotic phone-obsessed behavior.

by Anonymousreply 408/26/2013

And I suppose R2 is also going to deny that there has never been a fatal car accident due to phone-distracted drivers.

by Anonymousreply 508/26/2013

Not really a mishap, but it made my friends laugh.

A few weeks ago, after having a leisurely lunch with workmates, I was totally engrossed by a message on my phone. While mesmerized by my phone, I attempted to reach for my drink, which I could just make out in my peripheral vision.

Well, my vision ain't what it used to be and for a good little while I fondled the air near my drink but never actually touched my drink.

My workmates still give me a hard time about that one.

by Anonymousreply 608/26/2013

Was looking out the window in my office just a few minutes ago and saw a woman walking across the parking lot with her phone, paying absolutely no attention to whether or not cars were driving about. How is it possible that so many people have lives that are so fascinating or filled with such urgency that they are oblivious to everything around them? Boggles the mind.

by Anonymousreply 708/26/2013

Once in the lobby of a movie theatre I saw a woman, talking on her phone, walk into the men's room. She came rushing out looking embarassed once she realized what she'd done.

by Anonymousreply 808/26/2013

Before cell phones (yeah, I'm old and proud of it), it was books. I walked into a lamppost because I was reading a novel. Other pedestrians found it hilarious. I was mortified and had a lump on my forehead.

R2 is a fucking imbecile.

by Anonymousreply 908/26/2013

Sorry R2 but there are security camera clips on youtube catching idiots doing just such stuff as OP is talking about. One involves a woman texting in the mall and she falls in a fountain.

by Anonymousreply 1008/26/2013

by Anonymousreply 1108/26/2013

They should all die.

by Anonymousreply 1208/26/2013

This is marvellous.

A woman texting while driving veers into oncoming traffic. A man comes over to her car, reaches in to grab her phone, and smashes it on the ground.

by Anonymousreply 1308/26/2013

In OP's scene #1, where the oblivious pedestrian causes an auto accident, can he be sued by the drivers' insurance companies for the cost of repairs to both cars? Bet the answer's yes -- I hope he is & I hope the insurers win.

by Anonymousreply 1408/26/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!