Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Israel Plans Monument to Gays Persecuted by Nazis

[quote]A monument dedicated to homosexuals who were persecuted by the Nazis during the Holocaust will soon be erected in central Tel Aviv.

AUGUST 24 2013

Israel is planning to construct the country’s first monument to gays who were persecuted by the Nazis, reports Haaretz.

The monument will be erected in central Tel Aviv’s Meir Park near the headquarters of the Gay Center before the end of the year. A pink triangle – the symbol Nazis used to mark homosexuals – will be displayed on a concrete triangle at the center of the monument along with a bench and plaque that will display information about how homosexuals were persecuted during the Holocaust.

The monument is the brainchild of attorney Eran Lev, who is a member of the municipal council from the Meretz party.

“This will be the first and only memorial site in Israel to mention the victims of the Nazis who were persecuted for anything other than being Jewish,” Lev told Haaretz. “As a cosmopolitan city and an international gay center, Tel Aviv will offer a memorial site that is universal in its essence. As far as I’m concerned, it’s not a monument, but a place — a place of quiet that will invite visitors to sit, contemplate, reflect and be in solitude.”

“One of the first restrictions the Nazis imposed on the Jews was against going to public parks. We’re bringing that memory back into the public space. It’s very moving,” he added. “We felt it was important to present it as part of the park. It’s close to the Gay Center, but not inside it. It’s a public Israeli monument, erected by the municipality, and not something that belongs only to the gay community.”

Lev also said he hopes the monument will not become at target for antigay hostility and “will be received with understanding and not become a focus of strife between people.”

Similar memorials dedicated to gay victims who were persecuted by the Nazis also exist in Amsterdam, Sydney, San Francisco, Barcelona, and Berlin.

by Anonymousreply 3108/26/2013

Okay - I'm officially surprised.

Good for Israel, this is long overdue.

by Anonymousreply 108/26/2013

let's see how the anti-Semites here try to spin this. Good for Israel.

by Anonymousreply 308/26/2013

Thank you Morty at R2.

by Anonymousreply 408/26/2013

R2 is right. In proportion to their population, the Jews have contributed more good things to the world than any other ethnicity. All you Jew haters, get back to me when an Arab country erects a monument to murdered and tortured gay people.

by Anonymousreply 508/26/2013

But they love to sterilize Ethiopian women to reduce their population.

by Anonymousreply 708/26/2013

When are the monuments to gays going up in Saudi Arabia,Yemen,Pakistan,Sudan,Afghanistan,Egypt,Iran,Iraq,Qatar,Syria,The UAE and the Gaza Strip?

Any day now I hear.

by Anonymousreply 908/26/2013

Fuck the 96% of gay hating Palestinians right up their collective asshole.....I support Israel a 1000%!

by Anonymousreply 1008/26/2013

Remember children..the punishment for homosexuality in most Sharia law dominated Islamic states is life imprisonment or DEATH.

Or if you're lucky enough to be gay in Iraq you can experience THEIR take on "assplay".

by Anonymousreply 1108/26/2013

So as long is Israel is pro gay its ok for them to murder innocent Palestinians and sterilize Ethiopian women?

by Anonymousreply 1208/26/2013

This will end well!

by Anonymousreply 1308/26/2013

No, R12, it isn't. No one is saying Israel is perfect. No one has a monopoly on killing innocent people. The Muslims have shed gallons of innocent blood just in the last few years, most of it from fellow Muslims.

Some questions for you:

Where would you rather live as a gay person, Israel or Egypt?

What have Arabs contributed to the world in the last hundred years? Art? Literature? Music? Science? Would you like to compare those contributions to those made by Jews?

by Anonymousreply 1408/26/2013

I would not want to live in neither Israel or Egypt.

I guess you know very little about Moorish history R14, and the many outstanding contributions Arabs brought to the world. If it weren't for the Moors, Europe will still in the dark ages. Did you know that when the Moors ruled in Europe, they were more tolerant towards Jews than the catholic church? In fact under Moorish rulership Jews were allowed to practice their religion in peace. Lets talk about the inquisitions. Who started that? Wasn't it Catholics who killed and expelled Jews and Muslims from their homelands and forced them to covert to Catholicism?

by Anonymousreply 1508/26/2013

Gotta love Megaphone desktop tool.

Israel's PR people do their country a big disservice.

by Anonymousreply 1708/26/2013

True. When it comes to gay rights, it just happens to be the case that Israel is the most pro-gay country in the Middle East.

No one is saying they don't have other issues.

by Anonymousreply 1908/26/2013

One needs to think deeply of why they are doing this project NOW. Support for Israel is diminishing globally ( they just killed three more people today), while support for us gays is on the rise. I will not be surprised if they use our momentum for their benefit.

by Anonymousreply 2008/26/2013

And Israel is the model for social progress? Give me a break.

by Anonymousreply 2208/26/2013

Another pink propaganda ploy by the Israelis. Not surprised.

by Anonymousreply 2308/26/2013

[quote]And Israel is the model for social progress?

Compared to other countries in the Middle East, yes. Name another country in the part of the world that is more progressive.

by Anonymousreply 2408/26/2013

Yes, good for Israel. Doesn't mean it should steal other people's land or shoot Palestinian children though.

The reason Israel seems so pro-gay in a generally homophobic region is because Israel itself is not a product of the region and is, in fact, an import to the Middle East.

by Anonymousreply 2508/26/2013

by Anonymousreply 2608/26/2013

[quote]And Israel is the model for social progress? Give me a break.

American Holocaust museums have tried to keep gay people out of Holocaust memorials. I recall a story actually a few years back that tried to keep a gay exhibit out.

by Anonymousreply 2708/26/2013

Palestinian UN staffer on his way to work shot dead by Israeli forces this morning.

Link is to the UN's condemnation of the killing.

by Anonymousreply 2808/26/2013

20 bucks says this monument is only for Jew gays.

by Anonymousreply 2908/26/2013

Where is the gypsy monument?

by Anonymousreply 3008/26/2013

[quote] Compared to other countries in the Middle East, yes

Not for long.

The ultra orthodox are breeding at a fast rate in order to increase their power.

by Anonymousreply 3108/26/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!