Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Anyone Watch Tina Turner On Oprah's Next Chapter Tonight?

by Anonymousreply 9501/10/2015

She was luminous. I think the retirement is for real this time. Good for her. Sad for us, though. Definitely the end of an era.

by Anonymousreply 108/25/2013

She looks incredible. She will look good till she is ancient. Like Lena Horne - great bones, incredible talent, limitless charisma.

by Anonymousreply 208/25/2013

Why should i??? What a BORE! All of you need to find some REAL entertainment, darlings...

by Anonymousreply 308/26/2013

Tina is queen. Long live the queen. It's about time that she's truly happy.

by Anonymousreply 408/26/2013

Did she say anything interesting?

by Anonymousreply 508/26/2013

Yeah, she said that she was beat with a shoe stretcher.

by Anonymousreply 608/26/2013

Oprah's Next Chapter With Tina Turner...

brought to you by Trois Pommes!

by Anonymousreply 708/26/2013

A few interesting things:

She said she got married because she's "putting things in order" in terms of finances, which is not surprising.

I'd heard the shoe stretcher story before; she also said that her mother was planning to leave her father when she found out she was pregnant with Tina. So Tina grew up knowing that her mother didn't want her (again, not new, but something she hasn't discussed in a while).

The last tour was apparently very difficult for her, physically. She talked about not being able to hit certain notes, and being very tired out by the performances.

She seemed genuinely glad that Ike was dead and that she was retired.

by Anonymousreply 808/26/2013

Weird wig

by Anonymousreply 908/26/2013

OMG I didn't know it was on. I'll have to record it when they re-air during the week.

by Anonymousreply 1008/26/2013

OK, so I saw a few clips of the interview. Where was it filmed at? I saw palm trees and an ocean in the background - was it filmed at Tina's home in the South of France?

by Anonymousreply 1108/26/2013

"Tina is queen. Long live the queen."

(Proud) MARY!

by Anonymousreply 1208/26/2013

Tina Turner is genetically gifted, and if she lives to be 100 she will still look fabulous.

by Anonymousreply 1308/26/2013

She looks like an old lady. She looks her age. She's not genetically gifted.

by Anonymousreply 1408/26/2013

The whole show is on Youtube, but hurry up and watch it because I'm sure it will be taken down soon.

by Anonymousreply 1508/26/2013

Her wedding looked beautiful - funny to see pics of her when she met her (now) husband. She looks the same as 27 years ago, whereas he went from a cute guy with black hair, and dimples, to a white haired old man. She seems happy - and especially happy to not be performing anymore. And she sold her gorgeous house in the south of France ( featured on "60 Minutes" interview), and any property she had in U.S. She didn't address giving up U.S. Citizenship , but you could see she's happily ensconced in Switzerland, and Europe is her playground now. Good for her.

by Anonymousreply 1608/26/2013

R15 Thank you!

by Anonymousreply 1708/26/2013

[quote]And she sold her gorgeous house in the south of France ( featured on "60 Minutes" interview)

Why did she sell her South of France house? I thought she loved France?

by Anonymousreply 1808/26/2013

She looks a hell of a lot better than any 73 year old I've ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 1908/26/2013

Tina lives full-time in Switzerland now.

by Anonymousreply 2008/26/2013

R18 - Because she was 'getting her affairs in order' , as she said. Seems she loves her Swiss home (and less taxes), and wanted to unload 'all the extra expenses' as she put it.

by Anonymousreply 2108/26/2013

When you get older, you want to simplify your life. You don't need or want as much stuff anymore.

by Anonymousreply 2208/26/2013

Here is another link for those who didn't see the youtube link in time....

by Anonymousreply 2308/26/2013

It was fun to learn that Bryan Adams was the wedding singer.

by Anonymousreply 2408/26/2013

It was filmed in France, though.

by Anonymousreply 2508/26/2013

Saw her in concert a few times and was blown away each time.

Have you ever gone to a concert and left feeling that you didn't get your money's worth?

I bet that rarely happened to anyone that saw Tina.

by Anonymousreply 2608/26/2013

R21 But she has tons of money and the house was already paid for, so why get rid of it? She was honeymooning in the South of France at a hotel, so why waste money on hotels when you had a house paid for? If she was just going to keep going back, she should have just kept the house. Even with taxes, she still has plenty of money for two homes. But whatever.

by Anonymousreply 2708/26/2013

R14 genetically gifted doesn't mean she hasn't aged. It means that the facial structure and lines of her body will carry her through any age.

by Anonymousreply 2808/26/2013

That is one damn good make-up job on Tina.

by Anonymousreply 2908/26/2013

Too bad that she thinks that audiences won't accept her if she's not wildly dancing to Proud Mary at every show.

It'd be great if she did smaller shows with more ballads, but it looks like she's truly tired of performing.

by Anonymousreply 3008/26/2013

R30. You're right. Any chance to see Tina even in a small cabaret or nightclube show would be a thrill.

Tina dear, you don' have to go wild on stage anymore. You've made it clear that's not what you want to do. But please don't stop performing forever.

by Anonymousreply 3108/26/2013

Jesus, r27, let it the fuck go already.

by Anonymousreply 3208/26/2013

I have always wondered if Tina ever strayed into the Nut Bush Titty Thicket.

by Anonymousreply 3308/26/2013

[quote]Too bad that she thinks that audiences won't accept her if she's not wildly dancing to Proud Mary at every show.

I'm glad I caught her last tour before she gave it all up. She was great.

I honestly could care less about Proud Mary and Nutbush City Limits being performed for the millionth time. I would be perfectly happy to hear other songs and for her to do toned down choreography that she can handle.

by Anonymousreply 3408/26/2013

You're next, Oprah!

by Anonymousreply 3508/26/2013

Tina Turner participated in that series Henry Lewis Gates does on PBS about family trees and such. I remember that they showed a picture of Tina's grandmother and Tina looks exactly like her. It was spooky. Tina Turner is heavily of Cherokee extraction and it shows in her face beautifully. She has really great genes.

The Oprah interview would have been better if Oprah let Tina Turner speak more. Lord. Tina's husband has been with her for 30 years and it was obvious that he adores Tina. I think Tina Turner is exactly where she has earned the right to be in life and relishes in it. She seems happily content and loved.

by Anonymousreply 3608/26/2013

I saw Tina in concert when Cyndi Lauper was with her and I have to say that it was an over produced, perfunctory bore. While Tina looked superb and moved athlectically, she lacked spontaneity and warmth. For a rock-n-roll icon her show lacked any rock sensibility. Even her minimal dialog with the audeince seemed rehearsed. Cyndi, on the other hand, was accessible, conversational, gave her catalogue new breath, and was due to deliver her kid at any second. Tina's songs were cookie cutter renditions of their originals.

Neither Boy George nor Darlene Love had very flattering things to relate about her in the autuobios. But in Tina's defense, after a long climb to the top she probably didn't feel like she owned anyone any favors.

by Anonymousreply 3708/26/2013

[quote]Neither Boy George nor Darlene Love had very flattering things to relate about her in the autuobios.

What did they say about her?

by Anonymousreply 3808/26/2013

If Tina was even a little interested in performing again, she could record some new music.

Since she's been riding her hits for years, it really looks like she mentally checked out years ago and was doing the big tours for her secure retirement.

by Anonymousreply 3908/26/2013

I didn't see any of her family in the wedding scenes. Has Tina dumped her sons? She could have used some flava with the flower girl selection, though they were all cute in their Armani dresses.

by Anonymousreply 4008/26/2013

Here is Tina singing 'Edith And The Kingpin' from Herbie Hancock's Tribute album to Joni Mitchell River: The Joni Letters. Amazing.

by Anonymousreply 4108/26/2013

I would love to see Tina in a cabaret setting. That would be really interesting, I think.

by Anonymousreply 4208/26/2013

[quote]I didn't see any of her family in the wedding scenes. Has Tina dumped her sons? She could have used some flava with the flower girl selection, though they were all cute in their Armani dresses.

Let's be honest - Tina has serious self-hate issues. She thinks she's white. Like you said, I didn't see her sons or her grandkids at all in the footage of the wedding. The only black people there were Oprah, Stedman, and Gayle. Pretty sad she didn't have her own family there.

by Anonymousreply 4308/26/2013

Did she always sound so Northern? She has no Southern accent at all for someone from Tennessee.

by Anonymousreply 4408/26/2013

Of course Gayle has to mooch along to the wedding. I'm sure she and Tina are just soooo close.

by Anonymousreply 4508/26/2013

What a sexless kiss at that wedding. And they show it from two different angles.

Her new white husband says he doesn't see her as black or white.

by Anonymousreply 4708/27/2013

C'mon, they've been together almost 30 years - the kisses are not the same as 2 , 23 year olds, who met 6 months before. They are more older companions at this point.

by Anonymousreply 4808/27/2013

Wouldn't it be cool if there was this whole cabal of downlow black lesbians? Jada Pinkett-Smith; Tina Turner; Oprah; Gayle; Queen Latifah; Lena Horne; Alicia Keyes: Whitney... and they all protected each other?

by Anonymousreply 4908/27/2013

Tina Turner is a class act, I've always loved her. This woman led an absolutely miserable life until she was 40 years old, but she didn't let it get her down, and she survived it all and flourished.

by Anonymousreply 5008/27/2013

I'm sure Tina Turner is not a lesbian, r49. Now I'll be brave and say that I have doubts that Gayle King is a lesbian. The other women on the list, fine.Two possibe contender who are not on your list: Maya Angelou and Whoopi Goldberg.

As for Tina Turner, what do black people think of the distance she seems to keep between herself and the black community?

by Anonymousreply 5108/27/2013

She seems like a white wannabe : dyes her hair blonde,migrated to a white country,hangs out with white folks,married a white men......

by Anonymousreply 5208/27/2013

Of course, the only thing that stands out (besides Tina's Halloween witch costume) is O & Gayle mincing about snacking on canapes. It's The Empress's New Clothes, as everyone pretends not to notice they travel everywhere together; that she's been engaged to a man for over twenty years.

by Anonymousreply 5308/27/2013

All of the black people I have ever known who had any kind of money lived in white neighborhoods and hung out with mostly white people. It seems that even black people don't want to live around other black people if they have that option.

by Anonymousreply 5408/27/2013

Of course your personal experiences ( which are easily disproved) are the rule. Move on silly troll.

by Anonymousreply 5508/27/2013

I think Ike ruined black men for her. As for moving to a "white" country, she only did what many other African Americans with the means have done throughout our racist country's history. Like Josephine Baker, James Baldwin, W.E.B Dubois and countless less famous but equally disenchanted people, she chose to leave America. It's not that rare. It is well known that her sons chose to align themselves with Ike after their divorce (even her son from an earlier relationship). As she explained in the interview, she still has arranged for them to be well taken care of financially. The footage from her wedding in no way showed the entire 200+ guests. For all we know, there were a good many black people there.

by Anonymousreply 5608/27/2013

She always was beloved internationally, and I think that's why she chose Europe. When she was still part of the Ike and Tina review, she was treated very differently in London and Paris. I think she felt European audiences and people treated her better than the Americans in her life.

I think people who criticize her fail to realize that her life in the first part of her career was an absolute hell and she enjoyed very little of it. After reading her autobiography, I found it very difficult to listen to her older stuff, which I love, without feeling rather sad that she was not having as much fun as she sounded like she was having. The woman had raw talent but she was literally trapped in a box for almost twenty years.

Maybe she chose to move to Europe because she saw freedom and more importantly an escape from awful memories.

I met her in person once when I worked at a hotel. She remains to this day the nicest celebrity I have ever met. I mean, THE nicest.

by Anonymousreply 5708/27/2013

My thread on this subject was first, OP, but I'll contribute here just to make you happy. Saw it, and Tina looks damn good for 73. She has an aura of happiness, healthiness and contentment.

by Anonymousreply 5808/27/2013

I love Tina and she looked amazing! This woman deserves only the best. She's worked so hard for this retirement...she has everything she needs and has no more wants. What's better than that?

R57, I completely agree with your assessment!

by Anonymousreply 5908/27/2013

I suppose upper middle class suburbs like Baldwin Hills, Ladera Heights,View Park-Windsor Hills, Fort Washington and Mitcheville Maryland...vacation spots like Oak organizations like Jack and Jill, Linx, 100 black men... don't exist, R54. Let's stick to subjects that we know something about. Anecdotal evidence is meaningless because it isn't based on facts or research. Everyone please stop engaging the tired race troll who seems to have a talent for ruining interesting threads. Ignore him/her please.

by Anonymousreply 6108/27/2013

Thanks, R15. I know Oprah likes to just put snippets up on youtube so I watched this right away. I really find Tina to be inspirational, but sometimes I think Oprah is even worse than Charlie Rose about interrupting.

by Anonymousreply 6208/27/2013

R43, in the interview, she said she sold her house and other property, so she could also settle money on her sons. She wanted to make sure they got their share. In fact, 2 of those boys were actually Ike's and not hers, but she officially adopted them. I'm sure they were there, but it was her day.

by Anonymousreply 6308/27/2013

Turner has become what a lot of black folks hate: a black person who is confident enough to live their life beyond the complexes of their race. Black folks who like to remind other blacks that they're black just keep the rest of us caught up in their own mental sludge. Blacks hate it when they're forced to compare their own lives to those who are able to live their lives above the socio-ethnic limitations we choose to perpetuate. Tina is very confident in her "blackness", seeing herself no different than the people she chooses to have close to her.

by Anonymousreply 6408/27/2013

Great post, R57. There was an interesting exchange that Oprah had with Tina about marriage. It seems that both have been concerned with being property if they got married. I think if you are Black and old enough to be directly familiar with segregation, this is a very sensitive subject. It's the first time I ever heard Oprah admit to it and it doesn't surprise me, given both their histories with men and segregation.

As far as Tina selecting Europe for residency and, ultimately, citizenship, by the time she made the choice, she was seriously involved with Erwin and that's where his business was. Given her popularity there, it was not a hard choice. From that interview and the brief video of the wedding, he clearly adores her.

by Anonymousreply 6508/27/2013

People post personal experiences relevant to the topic at hand all the time on this board. I was just relating mine. All the blacks with money I know don't live in black neighborhoods. Many of the black men are married to white women. It's just a fact of life.

by Anonymousreply 6608/27/2013

R54, one reason for this may be that upper middle class and wealthy people tend to travel in wider circles. They meet a lot more people. Blacks are a minority so it is to be expected that they would meet more white people with whom they have something in common, just by virtue of the numbers.

by Anonymousreply 6708/27/2013

Thank you [R64]. She's transcended the issue by getting off of the segregationist merry-go-round. We should all, black and white, be so progressive. It seems she self-identifies as simply human, color be damned, and does what the fuck she wants to. Good for her.

by Anonymousreply 6808/27/2013

R64, many people fail to realize that social class supersedes race. One is more likely to relate to people who belong to the same social class no matter their race. Tina is surrounded by people who belong to her social class and in Switzerland most of those people happen to be white. The black community has class distinctions just like any other community. Again, don't let the miserable race troll highjack this thread.

by Anonymousreply 6908/27/2013

And as we've just seen, R54, your personal experiences are meaningless and irrelevant. Your attempt to draw conclusions about an entire group of people based on your very limited experiences makes you look foolish.

by Anonymousreply 7008/27/2013

Okay, I guess New York, Orlando, Miami, Chicago, Los Angeles and San Francisco are "limited experience." I've never known or even heard of a black person with any kind of money living anywhere but in a comfortable (read: white) neighborhood. But please go on, after 20 years and living in six major cities, how my experience is 'limited.'

by Anonymousreply 7108/27/2013

She did seem to be doing her tour set lists "paint by numbers" toward the end. Also she was an awesome performer but not so much an artist. She handled whatever material her writers put in front of her. But she brought it all live, on stage. I will never forget her concert in 1988. Amazing, amazing. Tina was in her late 40s and had the energy and stamina of an Olympic athlete. In 4" heels!

Regarding Europe and Tina and race and class, I think she has a deep-seated association of blackness with poverty and lower-class. She talks about it in her autobiography: as a teen she went to clean house for a "nice" white couple and wanted so badly to live their life. In that part of Tennessee, in the 50s, there were almost no well-off black folks. So if you were black and you longed for affluence, not just money but markers of affluence and markers of "class", nearly all of the examples you saw around you were white. So start with that, and then go to the behind-the-scenes ugliness of all her years with Ike. He was a talented musician and a repulsive man. Not hard to imagine why her next longterm romantic partner would be the ultimate anti-Ike: a gentlemanly blond white guy in Switzerland. She didn't dislike black folks though; for example she was openly heartbroken when Kenny (her keyboardist) died of a stroke. He was like a son to her, had been her keyboardist and band leader since 1977.

by Anonymousreply 7208/27/2013

I just read a "Tina Tea" thread on LSA. Lots of mud-slinging, but what stuck was an apparent FB post from her grandkid (Raquel Turner?) who claims Tina's a big inspiration though she never sees her. Sad, if true.

by Anonymousreply 7308/27/2013

Because you say it I'm somehow supposed to believe it's true. I'm supposed to believe that someone like you would know all of these black people with money. You're talking about a community that you aren't even apart of and know very little about. It's laughable. My post at R61 proves just how laughable your anecdotal evidence is.

by Anonymousreply 7408/27/2013

OK, a few isolated black suburbs that nobody has ever fucking heard of compared to six major US cities proves your argument.

by Anonymousreply 7508/27/2013

[R72] Nails it. Though I dont know so much about the psuedo psychobabble of race affiliation with a "clean house". I might have said MIDDLE CLASS.

Listen I went to Nutbush, drove around that area about 10 years ago, there is not a DOUBT in my mind of the profound poverty and racism she experienced, the Klan as well. Every bit of it was still there. I have heard that she DID go back to the nearby town, forget the name, and donated money to a battered womens shelter - CLASS thy name is TINA TURNER. I met the ancient old store owner that knew her family, he was prob the white guy that sold the little black kids moldy old candy.

She went from poverty to Ike's boot on her neck for 25? years. For sure that was a factor, there certainly are issues for successful Black women with men. (Look who Whitney Houston picked- she settled for middlin talent, some money and a better drug buddy. WEH could have had ANY man on earth)

For 40+ years Tina was ON HER OWN, alone and making it all alone. Right, she owes no one anything. Erwin was head of European division of her record label. I bet he treated her like the QUEEN she is, and she rewarded him with her loyalty and love. It is no mystery. Self Loathing, my ass.

It is about Race and it is ALL ABOUT CLASS at this point. But most of all it is about being loved very well. GO TINA!

by Anonymousreply 7608/27/2013

[quote] Whitney Houston picked- she settled for middlin talent, some money and a better drug buddy. WEH could have had ANY man on earth

Eh. She was gay.

by Anonymousreply 7708/27/2013

Uh, actually it does. But I realize that this may be difficult for someone who thinks that a fact-free post (based on made up personal experiences) is meaningful to actually comprehend. The fact that you've never heard of these communities proves my point about you. Stick to subjects you know something about. People gravitate toward members of their social class no matter their race. I hope that you're trolling. My work here is done.

by Anonymousreply 7808/27/2013

Tina looks sooo much better than Oprah ever has, or ever will.

by Anonymousreply 7908/27/2013

good riddance r78 And 'nobody has heard of' is figurative, dumbass.

by Anonymousreply 8008/27/2013

Tina does look great, however her ass wasn't flattered in that jumpsuit she was wearing in the interview. Jane Fonda at 75 has a fantastic figure. I'd bet money that Tina has had a facelift, brow lift, and upper and lower blepharoplasty (eye job).

by Anonymousreply 8108/27/2013

Frm 76..Yes Whitney was, but thought she needed image rehab. Still she could have had any person, male or female!

by Anonymousreply 8208/27/2013

Watching the interview it is pretty clear that they both adore each other. He is a smart man to love this woman for eternity. Tina is Eternal.

by Anonymousreply 8308/27/2013

Thank you, r15. That was fantastic!

by Anonymousreply 8408/27/2013

[quote]She looks a hell of a lot better than any 73 year old I've ever seen.

In a morgue? She also has Oprah's lighting and makeup people on hand.

by Anonymousreply 8508/27/2013

Why would anyone think Tina only associates with white people?

by Anonymousreply 8608/28/2013

by Anonymousreply 8708/28/2013

by Anonymousreply 8808/28/2013

Tina and family. The white media only shows black people around white people and jackasses believe said black people are never around any of their own people.

by Anonymousreply 8908/28/2013

Fun fact: when Marlene Dietrich was asked who should play her in a biopic, she replied, "Tina Turner!"

by Anonymousreply 9008/28/2013

Tina's son Craig was pictured at the wedding.She remains close relations with him.

by Anonymousreply 9101/10/2015

Tina's career was resurrected in the '80s in the UK and Europe. Why wouldn't she feel more at home there?

by Anonymousreply 9201/10/2015

Best part of the interview is where Tina's husband Erwin tells Oprah that every woman by the age of 50 should have a commitment from her lover asking her to get married. Oprah seems beside herself - as if Erwin is making a not-so-subtle criticism of Oprah's own situation with Steadman.

This combined with the "indignity" she suffered in the Swiss boutique while in town for the wedding must have really made her a bitch that week!

by Anonymousreply 9301/10/2015

Close relations with her son? No wonder Ike was nuts.

by Anonymousreply 9401/10/2015

[quote]Tina's son Craig was pictured at the wedding.She remains close relations with him.

I think that's beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 9501/10/2015
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!