Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Do people get thinner-skinned (literally) in middle-age?

Figuratively, it's grown thicker thanks in part to Datalounge. But I've noticed in the last six months or so that I can feel some veins in my upper arms and on my thighs through the skin. If I look closely, it's visible. This has never been the case before. The veins in my inner elbow and wrist have always stuck out a bit, but never elsewhere.

It's freaking me out a bit. I'm 49 and probably in the best shape of my life. I've lost a lot of weight in the last year and a half through sensible eating and a LOT of walking. One thing that is different is that I have much more muscle definition in my arms and legs than I ever had in my life.

Has anyone else experienced this? I thought this wasn't supposed to happen to people until they're elderly.

by Anonymousreply 1908/27/2013

I think women lose a lot of the fat layer in the skin and literally become thinner skinned.

by Anonymousreply 108/25/2013

Yes, especially around the eyes and the back of the hands and the front of the legs from ankle to knee. In very elderly people the skin if often so thin and fragile that if they have a band-aid on when it comes off their skin comes right with it.

by Anonymousreply 208/25/2013

Yes, the skin does thin out and what's more, it loses much of its elasticity.

I'm not remotely fat but I can see my tummy bulging out after every meal. Whereas when I was younger, my skin was tighter and held its shape.

by Anonymousreply 308/25/2013

Even at 49, R2 & R3? I guess I wasn't expecting this until my sixties.

by Anonymousreply 408/25/2013

It starts early than you think. It just starts to become a little noticeable in your 40s. It gets thinner and thinner as you age. Seriously, some very elderly people like in their 90s look almost transparent. You can see every vein in their bodies.

by Anonymousreply 508/25/2013

It is normal aging.

by Anonymousreply 708/26/2013

Your body is eating itself from the inside out.

by Anonymousreply 808/26/2013

No! You look the same as you did in your 20s! Don't listen to what any of those people trying to bring you down are saying, they don't know anything! Go buy yourself a grill, you'll feel better.

by Anonymousreply 908/26/2013

LOL, R9.

Die in a fire, R6, you fucking ignorant worthless cunt.

by Anonymousreply 1008/26/2013

OP, I know what you mean, I sometimes suffer from it, too. Does it look like this?

by Anonymousreply 1108/26/2013

Oh, Christ R11! Did your cat finally tire of you?

by Anonymousreply 1208/26/2013

It can be a normal age related thing and it can be a side effect of medication (not trying to be a cunt like R6). I know someone on prednisone and her skin became just like tissue paper.

by Anonymousreply 1308/26/2013

OP

Skin does get thinner as you age. This is not what is happening to you.

You explained the situation clearly:

1. You noticed increased vascularity in the last six months.

2. You have lost a lot of weight.

3. You have greater muscle definition due to exercise.

The increased vascularity in your arms and legs is due to reduced body fat and greater muscle mass. It is a good thing. It is a visible sign of your much better physical health.

by Anonymousreply 1408/26/2013

Thanks, R14. I looked up vascularity. I doesn't mean that the veins in size or that there's a greater volume of blood flow, right? Just that they're more visible due to the conditions you described. It's a condition I had only associated with aging. I knew that weight lifters have those protruding veins. I guess that I never would have associated walking (it's the only exercise I do, but a great deal of it) with creating such a condition.

by Anonymousreply 1508/26/2013

*It doesn't mean that the veins increased in size

Sigh.

by Anonymousreply 1608/26/2013

Get Retin-A aka Tretinoin. You can put it your face and it builds up collagen. If you have good health insurance, it's only like 15 bucks a tube. I'm thinking of adding a tube to like a thing of lotion and slathering it all over my body. Will this kill me if I do it?

by Anonymousreply 1708/26/2013

r15

There isn't a lot of information available on vascularity. Any exercise, including walking, will increase the amount of capillaries in your muscles. That increases blood flow, which logically would increase the size of your veins.

Subcutaneous fat is a major factor in hiding veins. Once you reduced your body fat, your veins became more visible.

I have very little subcutaneous fat on my arms and legs, but only the veins on my wrists and the backs of my hands are prominent. The rest of my veins are deeper under the skin and so are barely visible.

I am going to start a serious weightlifting program; we will see if I can get my hidden veins to pop out. However, some very muscular bodybuilders do not have vascularity, so I may be out of luck.

by Anonymousreply 1808/27/2013

The greatest factor affecting skin is the sun. At 49 I doubt you are experiencing true skin thinning that comes with aging. That is more of a translucent skin that bruses easily and gets brown spots from age.

by Anonymousreply 1908/27/2013
Need more help? Click Here.