Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Ah, Summer Is Ending

The blue jays are balding and more hummingbirds than ever are battling over the nectar feeders.

The robins are gone.

The crickets chirp in the daytime.

The sedum are starting to pink up at the top.

The squads of swallows who were herding dragonflies the past few weeks are heading to the shore.

My pool needs to be heated because there aren't enough hours of sunlight to warm it on its own.

by Anonymousreply 6209/18/2013

Thank God.

by Anonymousreply 108/25/2013

And I can tell you my love for you will still be strong

After the boys of summer have gone

by Anonymousreply 208/25/2013

I just want it to start cooling down. I hate hot weather.

by Anonymousreply 308/25/2013

Earlier sunsets. Cooler, drier nights. More pleasant walks. Waiting for the maples and sweetgums and pears to color up. Wearing jackets and sweaters again. My birthday! No more a/c. Flea markets return. Thinking about the holidays. Seeing Halloween candy in the stores. Quilts!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 408/25/2013

I don't like to see the summer end. Very sad.

by Anonymousreply 508/25/2013

We already need hoodies in the early AM hours here in the Midwest.

by Anonymousreply 608/25/2013

The redwing blackbirds are gone

Home Depot is only selling chrysanthemums -- as if we have no need or desire to buy and plant things for next year, like lavender or agastache.

I can here the song sparrows chirping to each other. Pretty soon they will be overrun by white throated sparrows and juncos

The Canada geese are here already. We get thousands every winter.

The leaves of my pear tree are starting to look dry

A coopers hawk is in my yard every day, a sign that winter is coming

The goldfinches have fledglings

by Anonymousreply 708/25/2013

This year I have very few monarchs or swallowtails. Lots of skippers and white cabbages. Last year I had tons of monarchs all over my butterfly bushes. I have a butterfly bush planted at each end of my pool and I would float on my back watching the butterflies go overhead from one bush to the other

by Anonymousreply 808/25/2013

r8 The butterfly count is down across major portions of the US, sad to say. If butterfly bush(buddleias) aren't attracting them, then nothing will. There MAY be enough nectar plants for them to feed on, but probably not enough of the right types of plants for the egg-laying stage of the adult's life. Loss of habitat is happening all over.

by Anonymousreply 908/25/2013

I actually hate this time of year, it's when Northern California is at its worst. The days are shorter but the scalding heat is still going to be around for another month. The landscape is fried bone-dry, and fires are everywhere. The air is thick with smoke and smog, and this year Yosemite is on fire.

I'm desperate for the rain to come back, nothing will be beautiful again until the heat breaks and the green comes back.

by Anonymousreply 1008/25/2013

R10, thank you. That's why I hate hot weather.

by Anonymousreply 1108/25/2013

Good riddance!

Long live fall!!

by Anonymousreply 1208/25/2013

Unfortunately, fall doesn't live long.

Winter draws on. And then comes 3-4 months of cold, wet, raw spring. We only had summer for two months this year. June was a complete washout. Temps rarely above the 50s, lots of wind.

by Anonymousreply 1308/25/2013

Summer went too fast. Love summer nights and longer day hours.

by Anonymousreply 1408/25/2013

We have about two more months of hardcore summer here in Florida. Then will be summer-lite, which will last until about April, then it's back to hardcore summer.

by Anonymousreply 1508/25/2013

The Rose of Sharon are starting to shrivel and fall.

by Anonymousreply 1608/25/2013

You could have skipped all the birds and bees Disney bullshit and just told us you had a pool, OP.

by Anonymousreply 1708/25/2013

>>>>>> My pool needs to be heated because there aren't enough hours of sunlight to warm it on its own.

Gee, I feel so sorry for you.

by Anonymousreply 1808/25/2013

R2 Great minds think alike...

I can see you

Your brown skin shining in the sun

You got your hair slicked back and those

Wayfarers on, baby

I can tell you my love for you will still be strong

After the boys of summer have gone

by Anonymousreply 1908/26/2013

R4, you're a fruitcake. I bet you love scarves, too.

R5 is right. And fall is awful. You can no longer enjoy the outdoor activities that you could in the summer. Dark, depressing, dead winter is right around the corner. Bulky clothing. Cold and wet. Blueberry, peach, strawberry, and apple season is over. Zucchini season is over. The ocean is too cold for swimming. It gets dark at fucking FOUR-THIRTY in the afternoon. Seasonal affective disorder rears its ugly head.

Need I go on?

by Anonymousreply 2008/26/2013

Sounds heavenly R20.

by Anonymousreply 2108/26/2013

r20 Jeez Petunia, who pissed in your cornflakes? AAMOF I do like scarves, I make them as well. Would you like one to get you through the cold, dark times? What's your favorite color, battleship gray?

by Anonymousreply 2308/26/2013

The wood thrush no longer sings at dawn and dusk.

The fern fronds are yellowing.

The asters and goldenrod are in bloom.

The sunlight is paler on the oak trunks.

The katydid slows the tempo of its song.

The yellow jackets are sluggish in the morning.

by Anonymousreply 2408/26/2013

Yippee! Summer is almost over...Labor Day can't come soon enough. Get all these out-of-state assholes out of my town!

by Anonymousreply 2508/26/2013

I'm with everyone else who dreads the end of summer. Fall just means fucking winter and winter FUCKING SUCKS.

Really? Who wants the cold, the fucking idiot drivers in the snow, the dreary days and freezing nights? Who wants to be cooped up in the house for hours on end? Who wants to wear 15 layers of clothes just so you don't freeze to death? An idiot, that's who.

I fucking hate winter with a blind passion. I can get cold for a week to kill the bugs then it needs to get warm again.

There is absolutely NO REASON for it to get to -15F and stay there for weeks.

by Anonymousreply 2608/26/2013

Labor Day used to end te season where I live too, R25, but then the "entrepreneurs" of the town (i.e.., the grown children of the wealthy year-round families) bought land and planted stunted apple trees, bought slides in the shape of wooden ships, trucked in pumpkins from upstate New York, planted a cornfield and now we have "pumpkin picking season." You can buy tiny green gourds for $6, Indian corn to hand on your front doorfor $20, buy an ear of roasted corn for $5.50. And they added some bogus film festival to keep the celebs out here longer.

So now the season lasts until Thanksgiving.

by Anonymousreply 2708/26/2013

I love fall and winter. It's so much easier to warm up than it is to cool off in blazing hot, triple digit weather. There is nothing good about that.

by Anonymousreply 2808/26/2013

I went for a walk yesterday and was shocked at the goldenrod in one of the fields. I don't remember seeing any goldenrod at all -- now its 7 feet tall and takes up 75% of the field.

There used to be a lot of milkweed in that field. Not so much anymore. The field was three times bigger, but Alan Alda bought it so his son-in-law could develop it. He put three multi-million dollar hotel-sized houses in the field. Plowed down all the natural stuff and replaced it with sod, sprinkler systems, swimming pools, tennis courts, outdoor kitchens and then enclosed each house in hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of fully grown privet hedges. They could have left a few acres wild and they wouldn't need the privet hedges.

If I were rich, I'd build an energy-efficient house and leave most of my property natural. No need for so many chemicals, sprinkler systems, wildlife-free sod. I'd plant a milkweed monarch station, put in a pond, aerate it with a windmill.

I'd definitely have a pool, but it would be solar heated. I wouldn't bother with a tennis court because they're for show nowadays.

by Anonymousreply 2908/26/2013

[quote]It's so much easier to warm up than it is to cool off

You & me both! A sweatshirt and a cup of hot coffee, and I'm toasty warm.

I love the wintertime too, love being outdoors when it's snowing. Sure, you have to dress for it, but it is so beautiful and is magical.

by Anonymousreply 3008/26/2013

Not me. I can NEVER get warm enough in the winter. But it's easy for me to cool off. Just jump in the pool or turn on the hose and I'm fine.

There is no such thing as "warm" for me in winter. No matter how many of layers of clothes I add or how hot I run the furnace. I just freeze to death and it's miserable.

Now I'm going to go sit outside where it's about 85 Degrees so I can feel nice and warm.

by Anonymousreply 3108/26/2013

Around here we have summer and two weeks in January when it just might get down to 50f.

If it ever snowed, everyone would wreck their cars.

by Anonymousreply 3208/26/2013

Please, Summer doesn't end until December.

3 months of rain in winter, then it's summer again in March.

And nobody within 2 miles of the coast owns an air conditioner.

by Anonymousreply 3308/26/2013

We've had the hottest days this past week. It was unbearable. The whole summer has been grossly hot, humid and muggy. And it's not over yet.

by Anonymousreply 3508/26/2013

Give it a rst, Basho.

by Anonymousreply 3608/26/2013

My pussy stinks.

by Anonymousreply 3708/26/2013

It's always sad when summer ends.

This is from "Charlotte's Web":

The crickets sang in the grasses They sang the song of summer's ending, a sad, monotonous song. "Summer is over and gone," they sang. "Over and gone, over and gone. Summer is dying, dying."

The crickets felt it was their duty to warn everyone that summertime cannot last forever. Even on the most beautiful days in the whole year--the days when summer is changing into fall--the crickets spread the rumor of sadness and change.

"Summer is over and gone," repeated the crickets. "How many nights til frost?" sang the crickets. "Goodbye, summer, goodbye, good-bye!"

by Anonymousreply 3808/26/2013

Love the lyrical, seasonal posts in this thread.

by Anonymousreply 3908/27/2013

I'm in the southern hemisphere and I can't wait for the end of this winter. Bring on spring and then mother nature can hit me with a long hot summer. Can't wait.

by Anonymousreply 4008/27/2013

The hell with them crickets, I want COOLTH!

by Anonymousreply 4108/27/2013

It's Vagina Cape time!

by Anonymousreply 4208/27/2013

Oh God, my God, another Winter in a Summer town.

by Anonymousreply 4408/27/2013

Where are the songs of Spring? Ay, where are they? Think not of them, thou hast thy music too, -

by Anonymousreply 4508/27/2013

September and October actually have the hottest days here.

Not looking forward to it.

by Anonymousreply 4608/27/2013

Love this song. Not an autumn/winter fan.

by Anonymousreply 4708/27/2013

There is a time of year in New York when, even before the first leaf falls, you feel the seasons click. The air is crisp, the summer is gone. For the first night in a long time, you need a blanket on your bed.

by Anonymousreply 4808/27/2013

A great season for a face slap

by Anonymousreply 4908/27/2013

Even though I'm a summer baby, seeing as how we don't actually get to enjoy when it's nice because we're stuck in air conditioned offices and trains, I don't get the summer love anymore. Mostly it has meant uncomfortable nights trying to get to sleep, or sweating. I did get to enjoy some sun here and there but I've mostly missed our best summer in 10 years. It's just a bitter reminder of how much it sucks to be a proper adult.

Autumn ironically means new beginnings to me- going back to school/university with that slight dread but mostly excitement at something new. It's a feeling that never left. I quite like autumn.

Winter is only fun in November and December. January and February (and usually March as well, these days) suck the big one. No amount of Courvoisier can counter the disappointment of a cold March.

Spring didn't actually happen this year. It remained resolutely too cold for it and then someone doubled the thermostat and so there was less blossom, and consequently less fruit. Of all the seasons, this one is becoming arguably the shortest. It's strange.

by Anonymousreply 5008/27/2013

r42 Dare I ask?

by Anonymousreply 5108/28/2013

It's 97 degrees out and I've got ANTS!

Seriously, I've never had a serious ant invasion during the summer. Wait until winter like normal ants, you little fuckers!

by Anonymousreply 5208/28/2013

Dark out at 7:30 tonight.

We won't be adding daytime minutes again until February.

March should be banned.

by Anonymousreply 5308/28/2013

R43's link is worth clicking just to see Roger Octopus following PollyPissPot around like an acolyte, clinging to his hem while lavishing him with praise & foolish questions. Hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 5408/28/2013

My favourite end-of-summer movie is Pauline à la plage (Pauline at the Beach) with Arielle Dombasle and Simon de la Brosse.

For DLers, they shortly later played mother and son on American TV in Lace and Lace II. (Her name was Maxine and his was Alexandre.)

Sadly, the beautiful Simon committed suicide at a very young age.

by Anonymousreply 5508/28/2013

Autumn and Spring are the best seasons. Laid back. Summer and Winter are just too goddamned dramatic. Chill out, you bitches!

by Anonymousreply 5608/28/2013

r6, I'm jealous.

My 15 year old dog is ready for summer to end.

I can't complain too much, it has been cooler this summer than in the last 10 years.

by Anonymousreply 5708/28/2013

Overcast, cool & breezy this morning on the New England seacoast...perfect wake-up weather!

by Anonymousreply 5808/29/2013

There's no real fall in Northern California, just a gradual winding down of summer. The heat loses its edge, gradually the number of clouds increases, maybe there are a few false-start showers, and some of the non-native trees turn color. And then one day in November, you feel a genuine chill in the air and realize the REAL change of seasons has come - our winter has arrived.

Southern California has more of a distinctive fall than Northern California, that's when the hot dry Santa Ana winds blow from the east. They call it "Fire Season".

by Anonymousreply 5908/29/2013

So true, R59. I miss the Northeast & Midwest, where they have real seasons (though I can certainly do without their summers).

OP, you say it's a sign of summer ending when crickets chirp in the daytime. I never realized that happened until I started hearing it in my backyard the past couple of weeks. Is there some scientific basis for this, or is it just something you've noticed over the years?

My own Farmer's Almanac entry is that outdoor cats begin to plump up when summer's about to wane -- the one in my backyard is making me suspect an early Autumn (unless she's just been eating too many mice between meals lately).

by Anonymousreply 6008/29/2013

I always think of Autumn as the dying season. It depresses me. I hang on to the milder weather and the sunshine until the end of October, then the gloom sets in and things begin to rot. Six months of shit. Mid April I start seeing buds and blossoms and rainy though it may be, it is not without hope.

by Anonymousreply 6108/29/2013

Overnight I went from having to constantly refill the hummingbird feeder to watching it sit at the same level for days. I guess most of the humming birds are gone.

I saw one at my salvia Amistad this morning. My hummingbirds love salvia Amistad and black and blue salvia. This was the first year I planted Amistad and it's huge and gorgeous. It's only an annual here, but I've had black and blue come back the following year when it was planted in a sunny spot. Problem is, it doesn't come out of the ground until July, so if you don't want an empty spot in your garden, you may not be thrilled. I didn't realize my black and blue was coming back until after I planted a new one right next to it.

Morning glories are staying open all day now.

Asshole bow hunters are feeding deer in the fields so they can shoot them easily.

by Anonymousreply 6209/18/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!