Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

"The World of Henry Orient" (1964)

Any fans? Just saw it yesterday and loved it. Much lighter than the book.

by Anonymousreply 2808/28/2013

It's a terrific movie, underrated and charming. It captures the spirit of being a teenager better than any other movie I've seen. It also captures the incredible fun of being a teen in Manhattan. Perfectly acted and directed, and showcases Ms. Angela Lansbury doing the only thing she could really ever do well: play a villain.

by Anonymousreply 108/25/2013

Splitsies!

by Anonymousreply 208/25/2013

As much as I love this movie, the Peter Sellers slapstick stuff is pretty awful in what should be a realistic film. The rest of it is perfection. And I still have a crush on Tippy Walker!

by Anonymousreply 308/25/2013

R3, all that Peter Sellers/Henry Orient slapstick was created for the film while the rest of it was in the book (except for the ending which is much lighter and happier in the movie) which is why it looks out of place. Orient in the book is just a man they are obsessed with- there is nothing from his point of view, none of that Paula Prentiss stuff.

by Anonymousreply 408/25/2013

Tippy Walker was darling. The other girl, forget her name, was good, too, but became a rightwing asshole IRL.

Love how these young barely teenage girls have free rein to roam all over the city on their own. Were parents really that much less paranoid then?

Anyway, I love the cozy townhouse and the big apartment, too.

by Anonymousreply 508/25/2013

Racism! Racism!

Say The World of Henry Asian-American

by Anonymousreply 608/25/2013

Love the movie but the DVD has an awful audio track. I had to use subtitles for half the film.

by Anonymousreply 708/26/2013

I also love it. George Roy Hill is responsible for three of my favourite films, each one charm itself but totally different from the others: this one, Thoroughly Modern Millie and Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.

by Anonymousreply 808/27/2013

Even though Paula Prentiss wore a horribly tight fitting wig in the film, she did not let that stop her from doing fine work with Peter Sellers. They improvised almost all their scenes together.

by Anonymousreply 908/27/2013

Don't let it rain on that poor little person!

by Anonymousreply 1008/27/2013

Nobody Steps on Kafritz, R10!

by Anonymousreply 1108/27/2013

they wanted Patty Duke to play the part of Val.

by Anonymousreply 1208/27/2013

One of my faves. Great score by Elmer Bernstein. Angela looks stunning in the restaurant scene when she meets Henry. You can see how bleak Central Park was in the 60's before the cleanup. And Bibi Osterwald!-the poor man's Elaine Stritch.

by Anonymousreply 1308/27/2013

The area where Val lives with the Hamblers- right by Bedford and Grove, looks exactly the same except the clapboard house looks more run down.

by Anonymousreply 1408/27/2013

I came on board to say I thought it was charming as well.

Would love to hear how the ending differs.

by Anonymousreply 1508/27/2013

Is the book a good read or is it really the film that has the better reputation?

by Anonymousreply 1608/27/2013

***SPOILERS***

In the book, Henry Orient isn't really a character. The girls are obsessed with him and follow him around but the book is more about the two girls and Val's psychological "problems" (which seem to basically be that she is not a conformist in the 1950s.) A lot of silly psychobabble is about Val's problem whereas Val's real problem seems to be her parents.

As in the movie, the mother finds the Henry Orient "bible" and forbids the girls from seeing him and ends up in an affair with him. When Val's dad finds out, he beats Val's mother.

The girls are separated and Val's therapist says she and her parents must ahve complete control over Val's life to make Val "normal." In the end, Marian wishes Val well and know they can never be friends again.

by Anonymousreply 1708/27/2013

It captures an era we don't see that much of, and the dynamics between Lansbury, her daughter, and Bosley were surprising for a film of that time.

Wish I had a time machine to visit that New York.

Love the low-key, more genuine Christmas, as well.

Like that America better than the coarser, meaner, crasser place it's become.

Only on DL would you see a nod to this movie.

It's on quite often on TCM.

by Anonymousreply 1808/27/2013

Tom Bosley is quite sweet and affecting in his small role.

by Anonymousreply 1908/27/2013

I just saw this movie again last week and I'm looking forward to reading the book. It's true that the Peter Sellers part doesn't hold up, but it certainly captures a lost New York City. I love it.

What really blows me away about it its the ambiguous relationship between the characters played by Phyllis Thaxter and Bibi Osterwald. And the fact that a middle-class divorced mother could own an entire townhouse in the village.

This, Dark at the Top of the Stairs and Manchurian Candidate are my fav Angela Lansbury films.

by Anonymousreply 2008/27/2013

Movie trivia! "The World of Henry Orient" interiors were the first movie filmed in a studio converted from an airplane hangar in Roosevelt Field,,Long Island where Charles Lindbergh took off. Another movie filmed there was "Santa Claus Conquers the Martians".

by Anonymousreply 2108/27/2013

R19 Knowing Bosley only from "Happy Days", I was very pleasantly surprised by how subtle he was here. He's terrific, and I didn't give "Mr. C" enough credit.

by Anonymousreply 2208/27/2013

Marian's guardians really do seem like a lesbian couple in the film.

by Anonymousreply 2308/27/2013

HENRY, SWEET HENRY!

by Anonymousreply 2408/27/2013

The musical lasted two months.

by Anonymousreply 2508/27/2013

Henry Orient's part doesn't make a lot of sense. The character was based on the pianist and character actor Oscar Levant (get it? Levant/Orient), but he's barely in the book: they increased his part enormously once they got Sellers to play the part.

by Anonymousreply 2608/27/2013

Ugh. Can you imagine how dreadful the film would have been with Oscar Levant playing himself?

by Anonymousreply 2708/28/2013

Tom Bosley must have been just coming off his triumphant Broadway success in/as Fiorello!

by Anonymousreply 2808/28/2013
Need more help? Click Here.