Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I'm sooo fucked

I have severe chronic pain from a spinal surgery that went wrong and am on pretty heavy duty pain meds and muscle relaxers. I saw my pain management doctor yesterday and dropped off my prescriptions at the drug store pharmacy tonight when I went to work. I picked up my meds on my way home. I was putting my pills into those weekly pill boxes when I realized that there were 20 dilauded pills missing. I checked the lable on the bottle and it said it contained 90 pills, so it wasn't a miss-written, or misunderstood/misread prescription on the pharmacy part. I called the pharmacy to tell them what happened and they were really nice about it and said they would run an inventory check right away to check out my claim. They called a while ago to tell me that their inventory check turned out correct. They said that I should have counted the pills while I was there. I told them I'd picked them up thru the drive thru window since it's the only part of the drugstore open that late and I couldn't have sat in the car at yhe pick up windoe counting the pills while there were several cars behind mr.They said the minute I took the pills away from the pharmacy they were not liable for the amount of pills they gave me. They also acted like I was trying to scam more pills from them.

I've been using this pharmacy for over the last ten years mainly because it's the only one open so late and on my way to and from work. Just about everyone in the pharmacy knows me and I've never had a problem with them over anything.

I don't know what to do. As it stands now I am going to have slightly over a week without my main pain management medication and can't figure out if there is a way to fix this.

If I call my my pain management doctor's office on Monday I doubt they will be sympathetic, helpful or even believe me, even though I've used them as my pharmacy for over 10 hrs and have had nothing like this happen in the past. The pain management contract I signed with them clearly states that there is no situation for loss of medication (except theft documented by a police report) that will result in them writing a new prescription for me.

If by some miracle I can get a prescription for the twenty missing/stolen pills, then there is the problem with my insurance company. Because dilauded is a med that people can use to get high, and people doctor shop to get pain meds, I can only get my pain meds filled at the same pharmacy and they are limited to the amount/dosage they can give me in a month (I found this out when I first started pain management and the initial dosage didn't work and had to be increased)

The only thing I can think of doing is cutting out one of the three times a day that I take the dilauded to be able to make it thru the month, but if I do that I'm afraid that I'll end up in so much pain I won't be able to work or do much of anything.

Does anyone have any ideas what I can do?

by Ouchyreply 1508/26/2013

Sorry for the typos

by Ouchyreply 108/25/2013

Call your doctor. Maybe they can change the dosage as written on the rx just for this month.

by Ouchyreply 208/25/2013

Go over the heads of the people at the store. Even if you don't get any satisfaction, at least they'll know that the higher-ups have been informed. Whoever stole or miscounted them will certainly not be doing so again.

by Ouchyreply 308/25/2013

Thanks 42 maybe I can get him to write it differently

r3 thanks. It won't help me know but if sure it will help others down the road. This can't be the first time it's happened, hopefully I can stop it from happening again

by Ouchyreply 408/25/2013

Can I go to the police with this? Or will they just write it off as a pill junky causing problems?

by Ouchyreply 508/25/2013

Call the police (not 911) and speak to a detective. Calmly explain your situation and see if there is anything they can do.

Say that you realize that it may sound fishy, but who counts their pills at the drive thru? Is the name of the pharmacist/technician who filled it on the bottle? See if the police will go out there and talk to them. This may scare the pharmacy into "finding" the other 20 pills. If not, at least the pharmacy will be on notice.

Also contact the insurance company. Tell them that you have contacted the police and that you will keep them updated on the police findings. See if they will cover other pain relief like acupuncture.

Also call your doctor and let them know. Ask if they have bad problems with that pharmacy in the past.

Hugs!

by Ouchyreply 608/25/2013

Of course they were stolen. Definitely call the police and file a report. Then escalate your complaint with the pharma company until someone helps you. Be a pain in the ass until they do something just to shut you up and make you go away. Ask if they have cameras in the store and/or at the drive through. They should have them everywhere in a pharmacy. If they check the tapes for the time and date of your prescription, they might see someone tampering with it.

by Ouchyreply 708/25/2013

Make a dangly pill shaped pearl necklace with a fifth of the actual beads missing. Call a press conference, clutch the space where the 20 pearls out to be and tell America your plight. We'll see it here on a Lifestyles news reel one day.

by Ouchyreply 808/25/2013

OP, having dealt with a similar situation in trying to get my mother her dilauded, I feel for you. Because of all the drug running and scamming, the pharmacies make it VERY hard to get this drug (along with others like oxycontin). However, if you have been a customer for over 10 years, then you should let the pharmacists know that you're willing to take your business elsewhere as the mistake is clearly with them. You should also call your doctor first thing Monday morning. If he/she is really helpful, then they will absolutely want you to have the pills you need, and will do whatever it takes for you to get them. Clearly they must know that you're not faking it to get the drugs, so if they won't help you, I suggest finding another doctor who will.

by Ouchyreply 1008/26/2013

Definitely contact the pharmacy manager/owner first thing Monday morning and explain the situation again. Go in person if possible. As a long-time customer they should at least hear you out and run another inventory check. I assume it's a major chain pharmacy, being open late with a drive-thru. Find out who to contact further up the chain in the corporation and write letters, make phone calls, make them aware of the situation.

Also contact your doctor and insurance company. Your doctor may be able to run interference with the pharmacy and if nothing else, write a temporary prescription for the missing pills. Your insurance will also want to know why they're paying for additional pills.

I'd avoid calling the cops until you've done all of the above, but if the pharmacy doesn't cooperate or insists they gave you the right number of pills then do file a report with the police. Even if nothing comes from it, you've covered your ass and the pharmacy will be on notice that customers are aware they're being cheated.

Good luck and thanks for sharing your story. You've probably made a lot of us think about checking our prescriptions before leaving the store now - something I never thought twice about before.

by Ouchyreply 1108/26/2013

Get well soon OP! Hope it works out for you, hand in there!

by Ouchyreply 1208/26/2013

Everyone you are going to tell this to is going to think you are a junkie and that the pharmacy filled the prescription correctly. Sorry, I'm just being honest with you.

I'm on ADHD drugs and we get the same down-the-nose looks people on pain killers get. I had a pharmacy give me 60 capsules one time of a 120 capsule prescription, but luckily the difference was big enough that I caught it before leaving.

Where I live, unfortunately there's a lot of political views and moral judgments involved. We have some pharmacies that decline to dispense any controlled substances because they 'don't believe in them' and the chains leave it at the discretion of the managing pharmacist to decide what needs to be stocked locally.

Good luck with getting everything resolved OP!

by Ouchyreply 1308/26/2013

Call the doctor's office immediatly and tell them what happened. Call the pharmacy Monday and speak to the pharmacist in charge. If you don't get anywhere with them tell them you will have to call their supervisor, the police and the state board of pharmacy. But don't do that until you have exhausted all other options.

I used to work in a pharmacy and one of the pharmacists was an addict. She used to steal pills. When we went to a computerized inventory (where it would be very noticeable if pills were missing) she started taking a few out of people's prescription bottles. But just a few. She didn't want to make it obvious. Twenty pills is a lot to take. Most people would notice that many missing.

What is the size of the bottle? Sometimes you can tell that the correct amount of medication wasn't in the bottle because it's too small to fill the entire amount. Dilaudid is a schedule 2 drug and in most pharmacies every tablet is strictly accounted for. Schedule 3 & 4 (vicodin, tylenol 3, benzodiazepines) aren't as strictly controlled. When the state board comes in they check and do a spot inventory of the schedule 2 drugs.

by Ouchyreply 1408/26/2013

Get prescription marijuana.

by Ouchyreply 1508/26/2013
Need more help? Click Here.