Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Zachary Quinto on Fanfiction

As a follow up to this post regarding Zachary Quinto's comment about fanfiction:

"I'm afraid I have better things to do with my time than read that. If those people don’t have anything better to do, that’s their business, but I do."

Quinto spoke at Fan Expo Canada on Saturday, August 24, 2013, and clarified what he meant when he was asked again about Kirk/Spock fanfic (and possibly about RPS with Chris Pine too):

If you don't want to watch the vid, here's what he says:

"What happened in Ireland was I was giving an interview and somebody asked me about [fanfiction], and I said something that some people have misinterpreted as disrespectful, and so I would like to say here, for the record, that I mean no disrespect for people who either write or read fanfiction. I have absolutely no interest in it; it doesn't interest me. I understand how it interests other people; I respect their desire to be interested in it. I think both Kirk and Spock—and definitely me and Chris—are only good friends. Any suggestion otherwise has more to say about the person making the suggestion than it does about the characters."

by Anonymousreply 2005/21/2014

He sounds like he's got a stick up his ass.

by Anonymousreply 108/25/2013

LOL, backpedaling.

by Anonymousreply 208/25/2013

Sometimes Quinto comes across as a completely uptight asshole.

by Anonymousreply 308/25/2013

Little stuck up priss pot is what he seems like.

by Anonymousreply 408/25/2013

R3 Only daytime.

And nighttime.

by Anonymousreply 508/25/2013

Some of that fanfiction is better than what passes for gay and lesbian movies. Can they be any cheesier?

by Anonymousreply 608/25/2013

I admire ZQ's decision not to put pressure on Chris Pine, who's decision to stay in the closet is his alone to make.

However, we are still in a far too homophobic a society to have in Star Trek two main characters who are openly gay and in a committed relationship, and this is sad, but the type of relationship Kirk and Spock had is clearly up to interpretation since neither were written as married in the original series films even into their old age. You can interpret their relationship as you wish, especially since they are fictional characters.

by Anonymousreply 708/25/2013

So he was a bit bitchy. Nothing he said made him sound like an asshole. The "I'm afraid" phrasing shows him to be rather inept, but did people expect him to say that he relishes strangers placing him in sexual situations of their choosing?

The attitudes here and, especially, those among the fanfictionettes sound like the way the lesbian stalker in "Girls Will Be Girls" got treated like a abuse victim when confronted.

by Anonymousreply 908/25/2013

Doh! Idiot doesn't realize that his biggest fans are the fangurls who write and read that shit. Now he has to backpedal.

Okay, here's what he should have said. Publicists take note:

"I've heard about those stories, but I've never actually read any of them. I'm too busy and, (chuckle) to be honest, I'm a little creeped out by it. But, hey, if some of my fans are into it, that's cool. I'm flattered that I inspire people to be creative."

Or some similar bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 1008/25/2013

ZQ is such a narcissist.

by Anonymousreply 1108/25/2013

He does seem like a pissy little bitch sometimes.

by Anonymousreply 1208/25/2013

Most fanfic is so badly written as to be laughable.

by Anonymousreply 1308/25/2013

The Kirk and Spock relationship is clearly up for interpretation. That is where slash fanfic started and these new actors would have known that's part of the deal when they agreed to play Kirk and Spock. The RPS on the the other hand is weird, and that's intrusive to ask the actors about that. It has no relation to the roles they are playing. Besides, Pine isn't gay is he?

by Anonymousreply 1408/26/2013

Alex Kapranos of Franz Ferdinand on fanfic:

Once upon a time, four Scottish boys moved to London with dreams of becoming rock stars. Struggling to survive, Alex, Bob, Nick and Paul became rent boys. Things seemed hopeless until, one night, this charming man named Steve took Alex to his hotel room. The two fell in love almost immediately and Steve declared that he simply couldn’t bear to think of Alex returning to the streets. When asked if there was anything else he could do for money, Alex told Steve about his band. Grinning, Steve said that he might be able to help. As it turned out, Steve Morrissey was a singer…

No, that’s not the secret history of Franz Ferdinand. It’s rock ‘n’ roll slash (ahem, viewer discretion advised).

For the uninitiated, slash is fan fiction that deals with homosexual pairings. It’s generally inspired by homoerotic subtext, like the smoldering tension between Kirk and Spock on Star Trek, the way that Triple H smacked Kurt Angle’s exposed bottom on WWE Smackdown or lyrics about sticky lips and beautiful dance whores in Franz Ferdinand’s "Michael." Most of it is written by women.

Singer Alex Kapranos has recently stumbled on this world and he’s fascinated with the results.

"It was pointed out to me at one point and I thought it was very humorous," Kapranos says. "The thing I didn’t realize is that there are so many hot blooded girls who are really kind of into this voyeuristic thing about homosexual sex. At first I thought they’d been spying on my private life and then I realized it’s just fantasy."

While many stars are opposed to the idea of writers using them in real person slash (RPS if you want to get really geeky), Kapranos is actually amused by it.

"I think it’s brilliant. It’s really, really funny. And I like that sort of thing cause it means that there’s people who have imagination who are inspired by your personality and the things that you’ve done, so it’s a good thing," he says. "There’s absolutely nothing wrong with fictionalizing a genuine character as long as you make it clear that you are fictionalizing, which I think all that slash stuff does. I think it gets dangerous when people start believing that those things are actually true, and I think for the obvious majority of people that that’s not going to be the case. There are a few people who get crazy obsessed and start imagining they’re having relationships with people that they don’t have relationships with. That sort of thing’s a little bit frightening, but I think that’s very rare."

Another reason that Alex isn’t bothered by the fictionalization of real people in slash is that he doesn’t think it’s that different from what Franz Ferdinand do.

"It’s what we do in songs as well," he says. "I mean, we take characters who are around us and write stories, write songs about events that have happened in their lives. Of course, when you tell any story, you make it dramatic, you use the tools of drama to make an exciting story. All they’re doing is an extreme example of what we do."

by Anonymousreply 1508/26/2013

FanFic exists, and 250 years from now it will be part of the Classics Club, only $4.99 per volume. If I was a modestly famous celeb, I'd be thrilled to be a subject and say so.

by Anonymousreply 1608/26/2013

"but the type of relationship Kirk and Spock had is clearly up to interpretation since neither were written as married in the original series films even into their old age"

When Spock appeared on TNG I believe someone referred to his wife, but he did remain unattached during Kirk's lifetime.

I loved "Trek" as a kid, and watched the whole thing again a year ago. To my adult eyes it seemed like Spock was deeply in love with Kirk, and didn't know how to deal with his feelings. Kirk responded somewhat, but more out of loneliness than attraction.

by Anonymousreply 1708/26/2013

He honestly thinks he's Sir Ian McKellen ya'll!

by Anonymousreply 1809/25/2013

[quote]Doh! Idiot doesn't realize that his biggest fans are the fangurls who write and read that shit. Now he has to backpedal.

He has this butch lesbian attitude.

by Anonymousreply 1909/25/2013

He should read Quintobatch fic, he'd like that. You can tell he has hots for the Batch anyways.

by Anonymousreply 2005/21/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!