Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Amy Adams to star in Lee Daniels' Janis Joplin biopic

Lee Daniels' movie "The Butler" has just hit theaters, but the "Precious" director is already thinking about his next film.

His follow-up project, Daniels told The Hollywood Reporter, is a biopic of Janis Joplin. And it will star none other than "American Hustle" actress Amy Adams.

"Guess what? She can sing her a-- off!" Daniels said of his selection. He also opened up about the blues singer's tangled history.

"I had no idea Janis Joplin was so smart-intellectual even. Look, some of the smartest people in the world have been drug addicts."

Daniels faces a challenge with the film, however. The biopic has been on the books for a decade, without ever completing production.

After the Joplin biopic, Daniels hopes to get an adaptation of "Miss Saigon" going.

"And then," Daniels said. "I want to make a horror movie!"

by Anonymousreply 9112/28/2013

She's going to have to put on weight to play Janis.

by Anonymousreply 108/24/2013

Amy Adams? She ruined Julie & Julia. HATE HER she can not act.

by Anonymousreply 208/24/2013

Joplin enjoyed the ladies. The movie title should be "Lee Daniels' The Muffler."

by Anonymousreply 308/24/2013

Sounds just awful.

by Anonymousreply 408/24/2013

What? Call my agent!

by Anonymousreply 508/24/2013

[quote]After the Joplin biopic, Daniels hopes to get an adaptation of "Miss Saigon" going.

I can play Asian!

by Anonymousreply 608/24/2013

What, Oprah was busy?

by Anonymousreply 708/24/2013

Amy is too old at this point to play Janis. She's nearly 40; Janis died in her late 20s. Sorry to be ageist but that's how it is in Tinsletown.

Its too bad because I would have liked to see her do this.

by Anonymousreply 808/24/2013

Janis looked 40.

by Anonymousreply 908/24/2013

Janis was 27 when she died, but she looked a little older.

by Anonymousreply 1008/24/2013

[quote]She's going to have to put on weight to play Janis.

And take off 10 years. At least.

by Anonymousreply 1108/24/2013

The perfect Janis.

by Anonymousreply 1208/24/2013

He's not going to get decent funding if he casts Adams. She's just too old by Hollywood standards. He'll have to get another actress.

by Anonymousreply 1308/24/2013

I'm really surprised that Lee Daniels is doing so well. I rented his Shadowboxer way back when and couldn't get into it, despite my love for Helen Mirren. On one of the DVD extras, they showed Mirren having to retrieve a tipsy Daniels from a nearby bar in order to shoot the next scene. When Precious was released, I just assumed it would be awful because Daniels didn't have such a great track record then, and appeared to have the kind of demons that made him wander off his own films sets to get drunk. Good for him for getting it together.

by Anonymousreply 1408/24/2013

Kevin Spacey played Bobby Darin, Spacey was a lot older than BD ever was.

by Anonymousreply 1508/24/2013

If you had to go down on Mo'Nique to get a performance out of her, you'd drink, too.

by Anonymousreply 1608/24/2013

[quote] Kevin Spacey played Bobby Darin, Spacey was a lot older than BD ever was.

Yeah, and he totally sucked!!

by Anonymousreply 1708/24/2013

But it happened R17

by Anonymousreply 1908/24/2013

This is the movie that no one is waiting for.

by Anonymousreply 2008/24/2013

Kelly is short and chubby. Janis was chubby, but tall. It's a different physicality. But Kelly has the voice.

by Anonymousreply 2108/24/2013

[quote]Kevin Spacey played Bobby Darin, Spacey was a lot older than BD ever was.

And he's a GUY r15. There's a totally different standard for male actors playing out of age range in Hollywood. Or being paired with females out of age range.

It's very different for females and female roles. Unless Daniels makes a ton of change from The Butler and wants to put up his own $, the backers will likely demand a younger lead actress.

by Anonymousreply 2208/24/2013

Janis wasn't fat, see below. And I'm not going to knock Adams on her age, as Joplin looked much older than her age, and Adams looks younger.

I'm going to knock Adams because she has no fire in her! She's a very good actress within her range, but she can't play anyone who's larger-than-life or uninhibited. She can make small characters interesting, but I don't believe she can play a big personality like Joplin.

by Anonymousreply 2508/24/2013

NOOO!!!! she SUCKS. goddamnit.

by Anonymousreply 2608/24/2013

Oh, hell no, AnniE.

This one's mine. In fact, EVERYTHING is mine.

by Anonymousreply 2708/24/2013

Sorry AnnE you aren't the right coloring or look and your voice isn't the right range at all. Janis was all raw blues mezzo-sop and you're a passable show tunes soprano. You also don't have the physical swagger or toughness.

Maybe if Judy Collins has her life story filmed. Perhaps.

by Anonymousreply 2908/24/2013

R25 - Janis was definitively chubby. She had a body type similar to what Charlize had in Monster.

by Anonymousreply 3008/24/2013

chubby? are you kidding? maybe when she was in her late teens, but she was thin in her 20s.

by Anonymousreply 3108/24/2013

[quote]...does anyone think Renee Zellweger could do it?

You had me at hell no.

by Anonymousreply 3308/24/2013

Zellwegger has the right look but lacks the powerful singing and larger than life acting required for the Joplin role.

She's also much too old for the part.

by Anonymousreply 3408/24/2013

A hearty no r32. Again too old and beyond that way out of A list range. Renee can barely stand up alone on a stage these days (see: recent Oscar telecast) never mind play a major powerhouse role like this one.

Why did you think of RZ? Is it because she's from Texas. Can she sing?

by Anonymousreply 3508/24/2013

Janis in 1970. She was NOT svelte.

by Anonymousreply 3608/24/2013

Man, It's so fucking frustrating being held back by my shooting schedule. I could knock this out of the park!

by Anonymousreply 3708/24/2013

It shoulda been me.

by Anonymousreply 3908/24/2013

You can discuss casting choices AFTER I've decided I don't want it.

by Anonymousreply 4008/24/2013

There's been talk of a Janis Joplin biopice for DECADES. I don't think it will ever get made. Here are some of the names were said to be "starring" in the Janis Joplin bio that so far has never come to fruition:

Melissa Ethridge

Courtney Love

Brittany Murphy

Renee Zellweger

Lili Taylor

Nina Arianda

Zooey Deschanel

And now Amy Adams. If this movie ever gets made it will no doubt go down in history as having one of the worst cases of miscasting EVER. Cute, fine-boned, delicate featured, porcelain-skinned, wee-voiced, thin Amy Adams as pudgy, coarse-featured, pock-marked, plain, thunder-voiced Janis Joplin? I honesty don't think she'l be able to put THAT off.

by Anonymousreply 4108/24/2013

Say what, r41?

by Anonymousreply 4208/24/2013

she was 5'5" and 127 lbs. not chubby. bloted face from drink and drugs, but she was no porker.

by Anonymousreply 4308/24/2013

[quote]"Guess what? She can sing her a-- off!" Daniels said of his selection.

I would have been far more impressed if he'd cast Natalie Portman and made this claim. That would take some balls.

by Anonymousreply 4508/24/2013

In the early 1970's Patty Duke was offered the role of Janis, but the movie was never made. Don't know how on my iPhone to copy n paste the link, but look at pics of Patty from the movie 'Deadly Harvest'. They look like twins.

by Anonymousreply 4708/24/2013

You can add Taylor Dane to the list of long past considered Janis's

by Anonymousreply 4808/24/2013

Somehow I don't think Kelly Clarkson's Since You Been Gone rivals ANYTHING in Janis' catalog. Clarkson is a pop singer not a soul/blues singer.

by Anonymousreply 4908/24/2013

Beth Hart would have been perfect but she's too old now.

by Anonymousreply 5008/24/2013

I love you, R33.

I thought another American Idol alum was going to play her: Crystal Bowersox - Piece of My Heart

by Anonymousreply 5208/24/2013

been there, done that

by Anonymousreply 5308/24/2013

"Charlize Theron as Aileen Wuornos"

Aileen Wuornos looked like a monster; it's easy to make somebody look like a monster, even if they're good looking. Theron was spackled with makeup, wore false teeth and put on a few pounds, and voila, through movie magic she was transformed into a psychotic hag. Janis Joplin was not pretty, but she was no monster.

No amount of makeup is going to transform Amy Adams into Janis Joplin. Even if she had fake acne scars put on her face, gained 20 pounds and made her hair look like a rat's nest she's still not going to even remotely resemble Janis Joplin. And her singing? NOBODY has ever sung like Janis Joplin; her voice was a force of nature. And Amy Adams is supposed to duplicate it? Hah! That'll be the day.

by Anonymousreply 5408/24/2013

by Anonymousreply 5508/24/2013

[quote]Aileen Wuornos looked like a monster

by Anonymousreply 5608/24/2013

Janis was a 60s chick but she was a throwback to hardscrabble Depression era women who lived in the middle of the country.

She was not fat. She had a big head, a big face and big hair.

by Anonymousreply 5708/24/2013

Yes, she was monstrous looking: crazy eyes, huge jagged teeth, wild hair, sun-ruined skin. I guess you found her attractive. You should get an eye exam. Wuornos was coyote ugly.

by Anonymousreply 5808/24/2013

Wuornos and my partners insane mother look strikingly similar. I really believe in my gut they are somehow related. Same voice even. It is quite creepy.

by Anonymousreply 6008/24/2013

Wasn't that recent Tony Winner from Venus in Fur supposed to star?

by Anonymousreply 6208/24/2013

Similar scenario : Zoe Saldano playing Nina Simone. Both ridiculous!

by Anonymousreply 6308/24/2013

[quote]Melissa Ethridge, Courtney Love, Pink, Brittany Murphy, Renee Zellweger, Lili Taylor, Nina Arianda,Zooey Deschanel

Most of these choices are bizarre, not only do none of these women resemble Janis, most aren't singers and even the ones who can sing, Pink and Melissa, don't resemble Janis in the least.

If, for legal reasons, Janis' actual recordings can't be used, Lily Taylor should be cast as Janis and lip-synch as Pink does the songs!

Zooey Deschanel?!! Seriously? WTF were they smoking. She'd be suited to a movie about the 1960s in Swinging London, with her Dolly Bird hairdo, she'd be perfect, but Janis?!! C'mon!

by Anonymousreply 6408/24/2013

R61 - Mare sung Me and Bobby McGee to Paul Simon's character in One Trick Pony.

by Anonymousreply 6508/24/2013

Mare Winningham, R61. She's too old for the role now, but she definitely could have pulled it off. Here she is singing "Hard Times" in a great little 1995 film called Georgia (starring JJL).

by Anonymousreply 6608/24/2013

Janis had a fuller figure and a double chin.

by Anonymousreply 6708/24/2013

Everytime this idea comes up here, I say the same thing - nobody can play Janis Joplin, nobody should and nobody will.

While I'm irritated, with all the great videos of her out there, why the hell did R36 re-post R9's crappy footage of Joplin?

by Anonymousreply 6808/24/2013

The Rose was pretty much a biopic, no?

no originality in Hollywood.

and btw Lea Michelle is ugly enuf, no?

by Anonymousreply 6908/24/2013

[quote]Kevin Spacey played Bobby Darin, Spacey was a lot older than BD ever was.

And that worked out so well for him and his direct to video movie.

by Anonymousreply 7008/24/2013

Jobs Stone would be perfect.

by Anonymousreply 7208/24/2013

I was 13 years old. Up until then my parents had always given me money to buy an album I wanted. They drew the line at Cheap Thrills.

First album I had to save up to buy on my own. My parents were convinced I was doing drugs. When I look back it was pretty funny. They came to realize that I wasn't - the funny part was that I started getting high shortly after they decided they could trust me.

Janis was the Queen of Rock and Roll. She had sex with a young Kris Kristofferson. She was at Woodstock and on the Festival Train.

Let it go. Don't do a biopic.

Get high and listen to her music. Just be happy you don't have to get up every twenty minutes to turn the album over.

by Anonymousreply 7308/25/2013

Do you even know who Janis Joplin was?

She was the Pearl, the rock, the soul, the smack, the shit and the truth. She was not the Rose or the Glee.

I suppose she was ugly. The mean girls in her high school certainly thought so. That kind of small person never goes out of style do they r69? Janis Joplin was a beautiful person.

Amy Adams could play her I think. No one should attempt the singing. If they have to, then Pink is the better choice.

Diana Ross did not resemble Billie Holiday in the least or sound like her. The movie was a hit, but it was nothing of the truth.

Angela Bassett never once reminded me of Tina Turner, but at least they used the real and great recordings of Tina's voice.

Jessica Lange is a great actress and Sweet Dreams is a good movie because of this and the gorgeous real voice of Patsy Cline.

Eve or Ciara look enough like Whitney Houston to play her, but neither are actresses and but nobody is ever going to sound like her. Nobody ever. You can't even impersonate a voice like Whitney Houstons. No one is gifted enough.

Same with Garland, Ray Charles, and Janis Joplin.

These movies never satisfy and only serve to make people miss the real thing.

The musical Biopic was successful once and only once. Coal Miner's Daughter. The perfect actress, the story more compelling than the voice. Loretta Lynn is a great subject, but one does not have to possess a once in a lifetime voice to approximate her singing. It worked.

(The Dylan x 5, non linear fragment film was good too.)

Kozmic Blues

by Anonymousreply 7408/25/2013

"Little Girl Blue"

by Anonymousreply 7508/25/2013

I don't have a problem with Amy she does look younger but I do have a problem with POS Daniels after watching The Butler...

by Anonymousreply 7708/25/2013

Not a peep from all the DL Viola Davis fans......?

by Anonymousreply 7808/25/2013

I made that bitch.

Both of em!

by Anonymousreply 7908/25/2013

How about a young Susan Hayward?

by Anonymousreply 8008/25/2013

Lady was a flawed movie but cut to the essence of what Holliday's life was about. And I thought Ross did a commendable job of not flat out trying to imitate Holliday, but finding some medium between her own voice and Holliday's singing voice. And it worked brilliantly. Filmmakers would be wise to take a note out of the Lady Playbook. It doesn't always have to be lip synching or a singing impression.

Judy Davis nailed Garland in Me and My Shadows. No one comes close (and that includes Sissy Spacek in Coal Miners Daughter, whom I liked) Streep called it one of the best pieces of acting she has ever witnessed, and she was right. Judy Davis had a behemoth task in portraying Garland and rose to it. If it was a feature film, she hands down would have won the Oscar that year.

Bassett was great as Tina Turner, but the movie is a flawed mess. It also made the poor mistake of having the real Turner show up at the end, thus inviting obvious comparisons.

The Rose should be taken as a time capsule of the frenetic rock life in the late 60's, and the self destructive rock star in general. It is not a literal bio of Joplin, even though there are some similarities between this character and Janis. But take it in general, and it works.

by Anonymousreply 8108/25/2013

Pink singing "Me and Bobby McGee." She has been singing this song for years. Sometimes her vocal affectations bother me, but she is one bad sexy bitch. Consider it her audition to play Janis.

I disagree with most all of your post R81. I doubt very much that you would have liked an actress to sing Garland's songs in an approximation of her style? Just a hunch. Meryl thinks she can sing. She can't. Judy Davis was phenomenal, but not without Garland's voice.

The Rose was a showcase for Bette Midler's considerable talents, but was not remotely plausible as a depiction of a 60's rock star. It just looked and sounded and felt all wrong. It is what we musicians call kiked-up goy dreck. Like Baked Alaska and Beef Wellington, it was for some other crowd.

I agree that Lady Sings the Blues is a very entertaining movie, and that Diana Ross sings those wonderful songs well with very good musicians. I have the soundtrack and I was only four when that movie came out. It is a very pretty movie. The only thing they left out was the life of Billie Holiday.

Angela Bassett is good actress, but she was very unmusical and awkward as Tina Turner the performer, and without that, the movie is a terrible fail. I was embarrassed watching Bassett at times and I love Tina. The soundtrack and Laurence Fishburne are all that make that movie watchable.

When an Icon is still alive or still very present in people's memories, they have to get the casting right. Janis has been dead for forty some years and if they use HER voice and cast a fine and surprising actress like Adams, I would buy a ticket. If they let Pink have a go at it, I would still want to see it. Janis didn`t always sound like Janis either, so there is room for some interpretation. I just hope they don`t cast Billie Dee Williams as Joplin`s romantic savior.

by Anonymousreply 8308/26/2013

" It is what we musicians call kiked-up goy dreck. "

by Anonymousreply 8808/27/2013

This woman sounds a lot like Janis, however who knows if she can act. Clare Maguire.

by Anonymousreply 8912/28/2013

For those saying Amy Adams is too old, 37-year-old Madonna played Evita from ages 15 to her death at 33. For most of the movie she's in her twenties.

by Anonymousreply 9012/28/2013

I'm holding out for Angela Lansbury.

by Anonymousreply 9112/28/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!