Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Opening credits of TV shows you find baffling.

Why does Dana Plato appear in the final shot of the last season Diff'rent Strokes credits with the rest of the actors, without actually being credited?

Why didn't Bea get an updated shot in the GG credits beginning with season 5, to reflect her hair style changes, yet Rue and Estelle got updated shots while essentially having not changing their hair styles?

In the Knots Landing season 3 and 4 credits, why were the actors who played Ginger and Kenny given adjoining panels of pictures, gypped out of their own complete panels afforded to all the other cast members?

Why are Danny Pino and Kelli Giddish credited before Belzer and Ice-T on SVU?

by Anonymousreply 5108/26/2013

Why this isn't discussed on the weekly round-tables, I'll never know.

by Anonymousreply 108/24/2013

I actually just saw the ep where Dorothy bites her knuckles and was surprised by it. Tv Land, Halmark and Logo all have different cuts of the same episodes so I can't remember what ep it was from. I have never seen the ep where Blanche hides her arm from the credits

by Anonymousreply 208/24/2013

r3, from IMDB:

"In the opening credits, we see a shot of Blanche in a red jacket drawing her hand inside her sleeve - yet this shot is never seen in an episode. In fact, the shot was from a scene in the Season 1 episode "Break-In", but was cut. Its use in the opening credits is considered the 'Flying Dutchman' of lost scenes for the series."

by Anonymousreply 308/24/2013

Locklear was billed as a special guest star.

For seven seasons???

Every single week???

by Anonymousreply 408/24/2013

Why does the first shot of the Golden Girls have an airplane landing? That never made sense to me. All the girls had been in Miami for some time when the series began.

by Anonymousreply 508/24/2013

[quote]Why doesn't Laura Petrie just move that ottoman out of the way on "The Dick Van Dyke Show"?

More importantly, why are Sally and Buddy hanging out with Laura and Richie when Rob is presumably just getting home from work? I think Laura knew he'd been off banging some New Rochelle slut and left the ottoman there on purpose.

by Anonymousreply 608/24/2013

As the camera moves down Maude's street and zooms in to her front door, there's a screen door there... then Maude opens the door ("Well, hell-O!") and there's no screen door.

by Anonymousreply 708/24/2013

I remember the thing about Locklear being billed as a "Special Guest Star," being talked about a lot during the time. The show first did it to draw an audience as there was this idea that it fooled audiences to believing she'd only be on a short while/could leave any minute and they thought it would draw viewers in. After a few years, I believe she had it added into her contract to be billed that way.

by Anonymousreply 808/24/2013

On Gilligan's Island why were the Professor and Maryann know as "and the rest" for some of the run, but then were upgraded to have their names sung!?

by Anonymousreply 908/24/2013

Why did Datalounge edit the Rochelle out of my New Rochelle slut line above?

by Anonymousreply 1008/24/2013

The scene where Dorothy bites her fist did air. I remember watching it. I think it may have only aired on NBC and I think it was also in "The Break In."

by Anonymousreply 1108/24/2013

Here's a version of Dorothy biting her fist. It must have been from the other same-night taping that they liked for the opening

by Anonymousreply 1208/24/2013

Okay, seriously, why is R-O-C-H-E-L-L-E now a banned word?!

by Anonymousreply 1308/24/2013

a lot of the scenes in the opening of GG come from the break in... interesting

by Anonymousreply 1408/24/2013

Dorothy bites her fist in the "Break In," after she and Sophia are playing scrabble and Sophia tries to use the word "disdam." She tells Dorothy, "You're no good at disdam game." And walks away. When she does, Dorothy bites her fist.

The scene with Blanche and her jacket also aired. It was in a scene where she's talking about how the attack dog could bite someone's hand off. Also in the, "The Break In," I believe.

by Anonymousreply 1508/24/2013

R15 there was a troll named Davida Rochelle who used her real name when signing her posts.

by Anonymousreply 1608/24/2013

With All In The Family, Norman Lear ran out of money and didn't have enough to shoot the credits. So he sat Archie and Edith down at the piano and filmed that. The pan down the street was just a camera attached to a car and done very cheaply.

by Anonymousreply 1708/24/2013

[quote]a lot of the scenes in the opening of GG come from the break in... interesting

Generally a lot of shows take clips for the opening credits from one episode.

by Anonymousreply 1808/24/2013

Maude has a screened in porch and then the front door.

They just cut to the front door from the porch.

by Anonymousreply 1908/24/2013

Not in the opening credits, but Cloris Leachman was ALWAYS "Special Guest Star" on MTM's closing credits.

by Anonymousreply 2008/24/2013

Or that The Jeffersons' theme song, which is all about moving to the east side of Manhattan, had its intro shot in LA and the building the cab pulls into is in the Wilshire District. They used some NY footage but it was mostly shot in LA.

By the way, The Jeffersons was filmed before a live studio audience.

by Anonymousreply 2108/24/2013

I find it baffling that Henry Mancini said he used a full orchestra for the theme to "What's Happenin'" but everyone knows that it's not a trumpet that kicks in at 7 seconds into it, it's actually a love recording of the sound that Shirley Hemphill's vagina made when her panties were pulled down and it was exposed to the sunlight. Mabel King said it was "like a vaginal venus fly trap, honey, with a tongue darting in and out and everything."

by Anonymousreply 2208/24/2013

Credits often are based on contract terms. I seem to recall that Leachman received guest star credit because she wanted to be featured despite being a only a recurring character (which wouldn't necessarily justify "special" status on many shows)

by Anonymousreply 2308/24/2013

R9 YES! YES! YES! That always made me NUTS, Maude and the disappearing screen door. AAAAAAHhhhhhhhhh I can sleep now

by Anonymousreply 2408/24/2013

R6 - Heather wanted special treatment.

by Anonymousreply 2508/24/2013

thanks, R 10

by Anonymousreply 2608/24/2013

she must have had some ego.

by Anonymousreply 2708/24/2013

Also about Heather, she deserved to have any billing she wanted. She did basically save the show. The ratings were really low and the show was on the verge of getting cancelled. Ratings picked up when she joined.

For awhile there, Heather had a reputation of having the golden touch for saving shows that were about to be cancelled.

by Anonymousreply 2808/25/2013

Absolutely R30 - Heather saved Melrose Place. No, Heather made Melrose Place.

by Anonymousreply 2908/25/2013

[quote] Who are all those actors smiling on the camera on a million different shows ("Happy Days," "Webster," "What's Happening Now," too many to name) really smiling at in the context of the show's universe? Are they having their pictures taken?

Add Full House to that list.

by Anonymousreply 3008/25/2013

R30, it was stupid, though. She was a regular cast member. It was typical Hollywood bullshit in which billing is actually more important than salary.

by Anonymousreply 3108/25/2013

That magic's gone, r31.

by Anonymousreply 3208/25/2013

One of the worst offenders was the cast of "It's A Living"/"Making A Living."

by Anonymousreply 3308/25/2013

R33 - And so? Heather did not have noticeably more screen time than the rest of the cast, but she was the force behind the show. Why not keep billing her as special guest star?

by Anonymousreply 3408/25/2013

[quote]Maude has a screened in porch and then the front door.

How could anyone not see that there was an entire screened in porch. Of course, the front door wouldn't be out there. Jeeze, Louise!

by Anonymousreply 3508/25/2013

Maybe Maude had a lanai.

by Anonymousreply 3608/25/2013

R1 writes,

[quote]Why this isn't discussed on the weekly round-tables, I'll never know.

They'd be more effective solving that problem … rather than the ones they topics and arguments they pedal.

by Anonymousreply 3708/25/2013

by Anonymousreply 3808/25/2013

Are there any United States college courses on this topic?

by Anonymousreply 3908/25/2013

I thought the GOOD TIMES opening credits were far better the first few seasons when they would show shots of the Chicago south side rather than those character shots from episodes.

by Anonymousreply 4008/25/2013

The Mary Tyler Moore Show had the names appearing over opening dialog. Other than the two females (easy to figure), you didn't know which male actor was which character.

by Anonymousreply 4108/25/2013

Ignore R43. That was the wrong show.

I meant "Murphy Brown" not MTM. The names of the cast appeared over opening dialog. Other than the two females (easy to figure between Murphy and Corky), you didn't know which male actor was which character.

by Anonymousreply 4208/25/2013

The Perry Mason credits were a mess its last two seasons. They credited Ray Collins as Lt Tragg in every episode the penultimate season, though he only appeared in a handful of episodes before taking ill and dying. William Tallman and Barbara Hale didn't appear in every episode either for some reason, yet Hale was always credited, even with the eps in which she didn't appear, yet Tallman got the credit only for the eps he appeared in. They must've had some interesting contracts those last few seasons.

by Anonymousreply 4308/25/2013

r45, I can understand Barbara Hale being mentioned in all the credits even if she wasn't in every episode. I mean Della Street (God, how I've always loved that name) was pretty much the second lead character after Perry himself. That's interesting to know though because I have yet to see a Perry episode without Della. I love her.

by Anonymousreply 4408/25/2013

I think William Hopper was the only actor to appear in every episode. Even Burr missed a few the last few seasons, either because of illness or a film commitment. Bette Davis played the lead attorney in one of those episodes. Mike Conners also replaced Burr in one episode.

by Anonymousreply 4508/25/2013

R46, here's Barbara Hale at an autograph show last summer. She looks fantastic for 90.

by Anonymousreply 4608/25/2013

[quote] William Tallman and Barbara Hale didn't appear in every episode either for some reason

Talman (one 'L') didn't appear because he was fired for being busted on a morals charge. Per Wikipedia:

[quote]William Talman was fired from Perry Mason for a short period in 1960. Sheriff's deputies, suspicious of marijuana use, raided a party on March 13, 1960, in a private home in Beverly Hills at which Talman was a guest.[5] The deputies reported finding Talman and other defendants in the nude. A morals charge was made against Talman (vagrancy charges and lewd conduct was made against others at the party), but municipal judge Adolph Alexander dismissed the charges against Talman and the others on June 18 for lack of proof "of any immoral conduct" "I don’t approve of their conduct," the judge ruled, "but it is not for you and me to approve but to enforce the statutes." Despite this Talman was fired by CBS who refused to give a reason. Talman was later rehired after Perry Mason producer Gail Patrick Jackson made a request to CBS and following a massive letter writing campaign by viewers.

by Anonymousreply 4708/25/2013

Because doofus/R36, she wasn't a Guest Star, she was a series regular. It's as if Joan Collins on Dynasty had been billed as a Special Guest Star. It's incorrect because she wasn't. All that did was make Heather Locklear look like a vain cunt with an overzealous agent.

by Anonymousreply 4808/25/2013

Because, OP, Danny Pino is a hot little picket Latino with a musky, lickable hole.

by Anonymousreply 4908/26/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!