Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Have you ever moved to a new city, on a whim, without a plan?

And no job lined up?

by Anonymousreply 5507/07/2014

Yup. A couple of times. Why?

by Anonymousreply 108/24/2013

Twice this year. And...

by Anonymousreply 208/24/2013

When I had no attachments or responsibilities but for myself, yes. Now that I have car payments, mortgages, a husband, and a mother-in-law depending on my paycheck....... not possible anymore.

by Anonymousreply 308/24/2013

I'm shooting off resumes to three different cities without any response.

On a few job boards, people suggest making the move and obtaining a local address with phone.

by Anonymousreply 408/24/2013

My cousin moved here to NYC in April and is staying with me. She came here to find a job and start a new life. Hasn't found a job yet but she's not giving up.

by Anonymousreply 508/24/2013

Moved to San Diego on a whim. Loved the city, but I ended up living by La Jolla Shores by accident because I didn't know the localities. If I had ended up in a trashier area I probably would have been miserable. Was able to make it work for a while, but ultimately couldn't find serious enough work and moved back east. Now I still have no work and I'm miserable on top of it. I should have tried harder to stay. CA people will tell you that the state (metaphorically speaking) will try to spit you back out for several years after you first arrive. It's true.

I don't know where else in the States I'd want to try. I would love to try Honolulu but don't want to be so isolated and the job situation would be even worse there than it was in San Diego. I would really love to try Sydney. I would take a job in Europe, especially London, in a heartbeat in spite of the weather. I'm probably stuck here now until I can stabilize a bit though, unfortunately.

by Anonymousreply 608/24/2013

That's cool of you to let her stay, R5. I made the same move and would not have been able to survive with the help of family when I first arrived.

by Anonymousreply 708/24/2013

Every place I've talked to in other cities has said that unless you are at the executive level or in a sought after technical field where the employer will pay to relocate you that they only consider local applicants. People relocating on their own dime fall through too often.

by Anonymousreply 808/24/2013

Moved to NY from North Carolina on a whim with $500 in my pocket 10 years ago. On my first day I walked around the lower East Side and looked for the most trashed out abandoned building I could find (on Ridge St.) and asked around to find out who owned it. Turned out he was a crazy old man who lived in filth on the first floor. The building was condemned but he said I could live there for $800 a month and took $300 as a down payment and gave me two weeks to come up with the rest. It was the worst shot-gun tenement flat you could imagine. Floors so unlevel that you rolled out of bed at night. I walked to SOHO and on that same day and got a job as a busser. Two weeks later I had paid the guy his money and had found an Australian girl with no visa to be my roommate (she was a waitress at the restaurant I worked in). She was great. We fixed the apartment up, I was promoted to waiter shortly after and we lived there together for 3 years. I met my current boss at the restaurant (Wall St. banker). He took me in and showed me the ropes. I've worked with him for 7 years, making excellent money. My partner of 5 years and I just bought our first apartment in Morningside Heights. Miracles can happen.

by Anonymousreply 908/24/2013

No, but I kind of wish I had.

by Anonymousreply 1008/24/2013

Yes. Moved to Minneapolis years ago with nothing but my hat, which I threw in the air.

by Anonymousreply 1108/24/2013

That's a great story, R9. Whatever happened with the Australian roommate? Is she still in New York, too?

by Anonymousreply 1208/24/2013

She lives in Sydney with her husband and recently had her first art exhibit in a small gallery.

by Anonymousreply 1308/24/2013

It doesn't do much for your career, as a rule, but it can help your mental health immeasurably.

by Anonymousreply 1408/24/2013

It is tough to relocate. I tried about 2-3 years ago. I heard the same thing over and over from the recruiter. She said the employers would say why should they take a chance on someone moving to a new area when there were plenty of people locally? Too many people relocate then leave shortly afterward because it turns out the place they thought was ideal wasn't as great as they thought. Employers don't want to take that chance.

One employer was really interested in me but said I would have to move to that city before they would seriously consider me. Move without certainty of employment? No way. One HR woman was really pissed when the hiring manager at the company wouldn't even interview me despite the fact that I was going to be in the area on my own dime. She was very candid and told me I was the best candidate she had seen and they had been looking for over a year for someone to fill the position. However, the hiring manager was very adamant that they only hire someone locally.

I stayed put and just made the best out of the job I have.

by Anonymousreply 1508/24/2013

I did - it worked out great.

I agree with the advice R4 got - unless you have experience in a high demand field you may not get interviews without a local address.

When we hire now it has to be for a pretty important job for us to consider people who live out of state.

by Anonymousreply 1608/24/2013

I moved from Toronto to Montreal on a whim, more than 20 years ago. I met up with a friend and lived with him; it took me 6 weeks to find a job working in a cafe. I (foolishly) assumed I was bilingual enough to find gainful employment, but quickly learned that you need to be perfectly fluent in French to find even the lowest-level job (and the job market is very tough). Even with a job, it was very difficult, even though I loved the city; I lasted 5 months and moved back to Toronto. When I came back, people started saying I was HIV+ because I lost about 30 pounds while living in Montreal.

I don't think I would it now, though - it is something I associate with youth, and there really aren't that many options for me. I can understand why Americans are drawn to major cities like New York, but the options in Canada are much more limited.

by Anonymousreply 1708/24/2013

Yes, ma'am! A few times. It's invigorating.

by Anonymousreply 1808/24/2013

More people SHOULD move for jobs. It's ridiculous that you have Detroit with 15% unemployment when close by North Dakota has only a 3% rate.

by Anonymousreply 1908/24/2013

[quote]More people SHOULD move for jobs. It's ridiculous that you have Detroit with 15% unemployment when close by North Dakota has only a 3% rate.

Get a map. The distance between North Dakota and Detroit is twice that between Detroit and NYC (approx. 1200 miles vs. 600 miles).

by Anonymousreply 2008/24/2013

Yes. NY, San Diego, and SF. Do it while you're young and budget twice as much money than what you think you'll need. I'm thinking of doing it again due to a wonky job situation.

by Anonymousreply 2108/24/2013

Thank you, R20. I'm astonished that someone would think North Dakota and Michigan are close.

by Anonymousreply 2208/24/2013

Detroit to North Dakota? Are you for real?

Detroit is a brown town and North Dakota is snow white, and from what I've heard would prefer to stay that way. It's amazing so many black people are in Detroit, actually, with the cold and all. Haven't you seen "It's So Cold in the D"?

The only way I see you getting a bunch of black folk to give North Dakota a try is to give them a reality show deal out of it. Truthfully, it actually sounds more entertaining than a lot of what's on TV now.

by Anonymousreply 2308/24/2013

At forty-five degrees, the sky will burn,

Fire approaches the great new city,

Immediately a huge, scattered flame leaps up

When they want to have verification from the Normans.

by Anonymousreply 2408/24/2013

What tinhatted shit is that, R24?

by Anonymousreply 2508/24/2013

Yes, many times! I'm an army brat and it's in the blood. Sadly, my bf is a bit more staid and I've yet to convince him to move to China. I just hate the thought of dying without ever having lived in Shanghai. Or Tokyo. Or Geneva.

by Anonymousreply 2608/24/2013

"Sadly, my bf is a bit more staid and I've yet to convince him to move to China."

Your boyfriend sounds incredibly sane. Be glad he's there to keep you from moving to Urumqi or Lhasa on some bizarre whim.

by Anonymousreply 2708/24/2013

Bump

by Anonymousreply 2808/24/2013

R28 just had the whim to bump a 3 minute old thread. That's pretty fucking impulsive.

by Anonymousreply 2908/24/2013

Yes I have about 5 times, Grew up in Boston moved to Dallas, So Cal, NYC, Chicago and LA

It is difficult but anyone can do it if they learn to adapt. You look for a cheap apartment, or friend, that is located near transportation. Finding a job is difficult, you need to adjust your skill sets to the current job market. You might not be able to find the exact same job as you performed before, be prepared to be flexible with positions. Try working within your former industry or one associated will be helpful. Try and think about transferring your skills to other jobs that you might not think about. The hardest part of moving is finding a job that pays decent. Once you have that, the rest falls into place.

Last do not give up so easy. I moved all those times on a whim.

by Anonymousreply 3008/24/2013

I moved to NYC with three bucks, two bags and just me. My goal is to be up there in lights. I hear that the Gershwins and Rodgers and Hart feel there a better opportunities on the west coast but NY is where the love is!!

by Anonymousreply 3108/24/2013

I love you, R31.

I'm in NYC now but looking to move to L.A. before year's end. I have a freelance job working for a website that is likely to continue to pay me well for as long as I stay with them. I also have a crappy PT day job (with okay but not great health insurance) that I'm looking to leave behind forever.

How much will I need to save up before I can safely make my move? I know I'll probably want 3 months' rent ready, plus enough to either start leasing a car or make a down payment on one (used, naturally). What do they say, have enough in the bank to cover 6 months of living expenses before you make such a move? Please remind me again. Also, how much does it cost to drive a U-Haul across the country? Gross exaggerations preferred.

I love the weather in S. California most of all, but all of California has so much to offer. I've got my sights set on L.A. because I play music and I figure it's to my benefit to go where there's already a thriving rock music scene (New York? forget about it). I just wonder how I'll meet people--both musicians and non-musicians. How does it happen? Everyone is so spread out. I have a ton of friends in New York, but most of them I met at my crappy day job.

So this won't be a whim/no-plan type of move. But my move to NYC was one of those, and I made out just, er, fine.

by Anonymousreply 3208/24/2013

Yep. Seattle. 2000. Rooming house. Temp jobs.

by Anonymousreply 3308/26/2013

bump

by Anonymousreply 3405/30/2014

Every move was like that for me. VA to Chicago, to SF, to NYC, to LA. It just somehow all worked out.

by Anonymousreply 3505/30/2014

OP, is your name Stephanie? Wahhhhhhhh!

by Anonymousreply 3605/30/2014

Are there any cheap rooms in LA to stay while I search for a job?

by Anonymousreply 3705/30/2014

I moved to New York from Allentown, auditioned for a show and made it as a replacement. However, I injured the star and was fired. I decided to return home, but the producer came to the station and convinced me to come back; he aid I would be a star. I did and I was....P.S. I fell in love with the leading man too.

by Anonymousreply 3805/30/2014

If you are specialized enough or else talented enough, you can do whatever you want.

by Anonymousreply 3905/30/2014

Yes.

by Anonymousreply 4005/30/2014

No, I'm not a directionless idiot without career or responsibilities.

by Anonymousreply 4105/30/2014

[quote]I just wonder how I'll meet people--both musicians and non-musicians. How does it happen? Everyone is so spread out. I have a ton of friends in New York, but most of them I met at my crappy day job.

I could have written your post myself, R32...but set it in the '80s.

If you're turning up in LA and fearing being isolated, I recommend you stay or at least head to Venice Beach area, where you actually can meet people 'by chance', where people hang out in cafés and walk around...otherwise you may feel very isolated indeed.

& remember, you'll have to buy or rent a car, immediately.

Best of luck!

by Anonymousreply 4205/30/2014

[quote]No, I'm not a directionless idiot without career or responsibilities.

So, now we know what you're not...please tell us what you actually are, or do we already know?

by Anonymousreply 4305/30/2014

Spent most of my life moving around the world without a plan, a job or knowing the culture/language. Love the challenge and experience of discovery and self-discovery.

by Anonymousreply 4405/30/2014

Moved from Chicago to Las Vegas to get away from a psycho boyfriend. All I took with me was two suitcases and arround $25,000

by Anonymousreply 4505/30/2014

It was just the way things were done before the neo-cons and neo-libs changed everything.

The New Ruling Class believes that all serfs should stay close to where they were born.

by Anonymousreply 4605/30/2014

The OP thinks he's Jeannie on Andy Griffith.

by Anonymousreply 4705/30/2014

This is not quite the same thing, because I DID have a job, but until I was in my mid-20s I'd never been farther east than Reno, NV. At 26, I packed up and drove all the way across the country to DC (by myself). It was a REAL culture shock for this California boy.

by Anonymousreply 4805/30/2014

r48

Yeah but you're now 72 so, that's to be expected.

by Anonymousreply 4905/30/2014

Yes, but it was 1995. Imagine it's harder now.

Then, I found a job in my chosen field in three weeks, without a degree. Now, with that degree, it'd probably take months at least.

It's not impossible, but have a backup plan.

by Anonymousreply 5005/30/2014

I'm getting ready to do this. My state job ends at the end of June due to budget cuts, and I just got out of a shitty relationship of 5 years so I'm just going to finish the job out, collect my unemployment and move to another city in another state and see what happens. I'm 32, and I figure this is my one chance to try this w/o much responsibilities like a mortgage tying me down.

by Anonymousreply 5105/30/2014

I went to Ann Arbor and easily found work harassing and making life miserable for Christians.

by Anonymousreply 5205/30/2014

I'd love to just pick up and leave. But going to another city when money is tight is hard. What are the chances of finding a job, any job, right away?

by Anonymousreply 5307/07/2014

I moved from New Zealand to Australia when I was 18 in 1988 with a one way ticket, $500 and a suitcase.

It was tough at times but rewarding and the best thing I ever did.

by Anonymousreply 5407/07/2014

Thank you, 42!

Still in NYC, still wanting to move to L.A.

by Anonymousreply 5507/07/2014
Need more help? Click Here.