Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

It's the Joan Crawford Memorial Vegetarian Spanish Dinner

Tonight a friend is coming round and I'm cooking us a Spanish feast, yes complete with my veggie take on Spanish Sawsage.

First Course ============

Home-made vegetarian chorizo with cocktail onions on sticks

Manchengo cheese cubes with quince jelly topping

Served with a Special Reserve Amontilado aperitif.

Main Course =============

Yotam Ottolenghi's multi-vegetable paella & rocket

Served with Marques de Carano Reserva 2005

Dessert =======

Lemon Meringue pie with fresh cream

Yeah, the dessert is kind of made-up on the Spanish side but everything else is going to be a lot of sodding around and I hate making desserts.

This thread is pointless, but hey ho. I paid my $18 and that is my right! Ha!

Kisses,

by aybreply 3308/26/2013

No rhubarb? Please, God... no rhubarb.

by aybreply 108/24/2013

Joan, he won't show up unless you provide him with catfish nuggets deep fried in 20 year old corn oil and finish the meal with a cup of Sanka decaf.

by aybreply 208/24/2013

In case there are any veggies who would like to make either of these things- here are the recipes.

1. Paella

by aybreply 308/24/2013

2. Veggie chorizo

by aybreply 408/24/2013

I live in Spain. Hombre, that menu is about as Spanish as Princess Anne.

by aybreply 508/24/2013

Why the fuck is OP pairing fresh cream with lemon meringue pie? Stupid.

by aybreply 608/24/2013

Blog

Get.

One.

by aybreply 708/24/2013

I'd add 3 bottles of frozen vodka and some Pepsi.

Supplies for activities after vodka: pinking shears, white paper, and band-aids. Make free-hand doilies while exploring the meaning of "good" lighting.

by aybreply 808/24/2013

If vegentarianism is so great and superior, why do vegetarians make MOCK meat dishes or foot items (vegetarian chorizo? tofurky?)

by aybreply 908/24/2013

Is there much vegetarianism in Spain now? My relatives are there and in my time spent there, I have a hard time imagining it getting a strong foothold.

by aybreply 1008/24/2013

R9 because Spanish cuisine is one of the few where you really do have to go ersatz for an interesting dining experience.

It's been 17 years. At this point my vegetarianism is more habit than some sort of statement as you seem to think. I've never known anything else and I don't particularly want to, since I never thought meat was all that.

R8 so which church are we getting married in, anyway?

by aybreply 1108/24/2013

No mention of the table being decorated with red weirdos festively scattered on it?

by aybreply 1208/24/2013

I just took a look at the chorizo recipe. It looks quite good. Does it hold together well or have you made modifications to it?

by aybreply 1308/24/2013

R13 the chorizo works well but I'd use more chilli paste. And definitely use a food processor. Also add a little honey.

by aybreply 1408/24/2013

MANCHEGO, not Manchengo

AMONTILLADO, not Amontilado

by aybreply 1508/24/2013

Never a good thing to take a food writer's recipe and fail to link to their chosen web page (where there is one). The Ottolenghi recipe is from his column in The Guardian newspaper, not some tuppeny-ha'penny blogscrape.

by aybreply 1608/24/2013

AYB's ripe, musky foreskin is the real main course.

by aybreply 1708/24/2013

Incidentally, in what way is you taking a vegetarian chorizo recipe off a web site "your" take on Spanish sauage ?

"Your" take would involve you in doing some original and creative work, rather than cutting and pasting. Taking from the internet does not bestow ownership or any innovative impulse on the taker.

by aybreply 1808/24/2013

Anon you're hilarious, never stop being a pedantic bitch!

by aybreply 1908/24/2013

I'd go with flan for afters, ayb

by aybreply 2008/24/2013

Play with your weirdo!

by aybreply 2108/24/2013

Where's AYB?

by aybreply 2208/24/2013

R22, Angry Young Brit is an eternally 24 year old 2hot2bbelieved super model for Sears who lives in a London village with a sod roof, a heath, and colorfully dressed elves who prance about.

He can dislocate his jaw to hold two cue balls in his mouth at once!

by aybreply 2308/24/2013

In his spare time he fights crime - crimes against fashion and crimes against The Dance.

by aybreply 2408/24/2013

R23/R24 you're nuts but I still love you.

And how amusing you used my pre-2008 moniker. I have been ayb since then. It now stands for anything you believe, if you really want to know OR just ayb as in honest.

by aybreply 2508/24/2013

Do you swallow, ayb, can vegetarians swallow and still consider themselves to be vegetarians?

by aybreply 2608/24/2013

YES LORD!!! This thread is why I LOVE MY GAY PEEPS!!!

Love it... seriously... thanks... the dolls are starting to wear off now...

by aybreply 2708/24/2013

Adonde esta el plato de paella?

Y esas tapas dan pena.

by aybreply 2808/25/2013

[quote]Blog

[quote]Get.

[quote]One.

But please don't link to it....

OP, in America we have a vegetarian product called "soyrizo", available from different brands (including Trader Joe's). It's like the softer Mexican variety of chorizo rather than the firmer Spanish kind -- the flavor is identical to the real thing & it's wonderful with scrambled eggs or potatoes.

But it's not firm enough to slice into little coins & fry crisp to garnish soup, as in the excellent recipe at the link. Do you think your version would work for that?

by aybreply 2908/25/2013

Yes R29 I think it would. It makes quite a firm sawsage- oooerr matron!

Manchego is divine. The quince jelly really made it pop. My guest and I liked it so much we later had an after-dinner snackerama of cheese and crackers. Had to be done, really.

by aybreply 3008/25/2013

r29 I LOVE that stuff. Make a big omelet once a week: red peppers; onions; garlicky steamed cauliflower; sometimes leftover spaghetti;shredded cheddar or Swiss .It's great fresh, and leftovers makes tasty lunches, tucked into a split pita.

by aybreply 3108/25/2013

What is it about R30 's post that makes you instantly dislike the writer?

by aybreply 3208/25/2013

Go eat your wierdo, Spanish sawsage

by aybreply 3308/26/2013
Need more help? Click Here.