Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Where are young creative artist-type people living these days?

NYC (Manhattan), San Francisco --- SO expensive, TOO expensive these days for the young, quirky, struggling creative types that used to call these artistic meccas home.

My question is where are these young artist types (NOT to be confused with trust-fund hipsters) living these days? Los Angeles seems to have picked up the slack (as it is much less expensive vs. NYC/SF). But where else? Are less-expensive places like Jersey City seeing a migration?

by Anonymousreply 8208/28/2013

At home.

by Anonymousreply 108/24/2013

by Anonymousreply 908/24/2013

Be very cautious. From what I hear, many of those young, creative artist-types are homosexuals. I'd step lightly if I were you.

by Anonymousreply 1008/24/2013

by Anonymousreply 2008/24/2013

I wonder if the "new" NYC, which is now a haven for the privileged, can last. Everything in NY just keeps getting more expensive and exclusive. Can there be a tipping point, a "crash" if you will? Or is NY as a city only for the wealthy going to be a permanent thing? I have no idea how all of this is going to end.

by Anonymousreply 2908/24/2013

It's sad that NYC is now just a playground for the rich. The only people with "average" incomes that live there now are either people who already grew up in NYC or people who are willing to have roomates. Otherwise, it's all rich people. Even the boroughs outside of Manhattan are ridiculously expensive now.

by Anonymousreply 3008/24/2013

It's strange. Every so often they try to make a new city happen, but it never really catches on.

by Anonymousreply 3508/24/2013

Mostly in their mom's basements, OP.

by Anonymousreply 3708/24/2013

It's also symptomatic of a world population problem--real estate prices continue to shoot up everywhere because there are more and more buyers in the market.

by Anonymousreply 3808/24/2013

R22, the last time I was in Greenpoint, it was still semi-gritty. A relative's brother-in-law had bought a run down five story building in the late 70s, it was across the street from a housing project.

He did a gut renovation, doing a lot of the work himself. He enlarged rather than reduced the sizes of the apartments, one apartment was made into a duplex. I was shocked how amazing the building looked. He filled it with family and old neighborhood friends.

He was a good guy, the rents were low, only about $300 and $400! He died in the mid 1990's. He sold the building before he died, the stipulation was that his wife would be allowed to stay and keep her store which was on the ground floor. Last I heard she's still there.

This man wasn't a typical landlord, he wanted to keep the long time residents in the area and he did. He was literally one in a million.

Now any rundown area is being scoped out by real estate moguls trying to figure out how they can make even more money, while pushing longtime residents out. It's really disgusting, I cringe every time I open the NY Times Real Estate section.

IMHO, I think a lot of these trust fund hipster assholes will eventually get bored of living in dirty densely populated cites, they will simply move back to their US hometowns or back to their countries.

Most of these hipsters are not native New Yorkers, many are flyovers from the Midwest and the other hipsters are foreigners. As the hipster population ages, their excitement level will certainly no longer be there, their reasons for living in these cities will dwindle and they will leave. I worked with some hipsters who left NYC within five years.

Years ago, certain areas of NYC were clearly defined, the 'cool artistic' people lived in the Village and Soho, the wealthy lived on Park Avenue, and certain areas of Brooklyn such as Brooklyn Heights, now it seems every area of NYC is becoming grossly overpriced.

A few weeks ago I took car service to see a doctor because I was running late, a cab was quicker than three trains. The cab driver and I were talking about how expensive it's become to live here. I almost fainted when he told me he was paying $2,500 for a one bedroom in Astoria. You do have to wonder when this will end.

by Anonymousreply 3908/24/2013

Mom's basement.

Aren't all the young artists using the internet to promote their work, if not create it?

by Anonymousreply 4108/24/2013

All the label-conscious, Apple earbud wearing Milennials who strut about in designer clothers made to look geeky and with knit caps in 90 drgree weather consider themselves this type of person now. How funny, since they're so antithical of this concept.

by Anonymousreply 4208/24/2013

If you've looked at this culture's creative output of late, you might say that there is no breeding ground where new ideas are born anymore.

by Anonymousreply 4508/24/2013

R35 is right. They can't make a new city happen without some money from somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 5008/24/2013

Creative artist-types, do they really even exist?

Name one NOT associated with an existing NYC or LA-based gallery or arts organization.

I know there are MANY who like to think of themselves as such, but in reality in 2013, aren't the majority of those TRULY creative ultimately linking themselves to a major advertising and software firms?

by Anonymousreply 5108/24/2013

R51 is right. The firebrands of the past locked those corporate sponsors and institutions in their crosshairs and fired away. There was no corporate sponsorship, and if there was, it was a disgrace to be involved with it.

by Anonymousreply 5208/24/2013

Sometimes "real" artists have spouses, children, mortgages, bills, responsibilities, etc. They work regular jobs - even *gasp* corporate jobs.

It is entirely possible for wonderful artists to look like yuppies to people who are so shallow and prejudiced that they can't actually see.

by Anonymousreply 5408/24/2013

People tried to make Hudson, NY a happening place for artists and creative types, but it never panned out. Too much ghetto.

by Anonymousreply 5808/24/2013

Silverlake is really expensive too NYers and you NEED a car, that is going to cost you, insurance, gas....etc. Gas in CA is about $4.50 per gallon, you do the math. Oh and Silverlake borders some sketchy areas so your car will probably be broken into, and parking is a bitch in LA, freeways are horrific, slow and always trafficky, even at 10 pm at night. And you'll have to pay for parking whereever you go too...

by Anonymousreply 5908/24/2013

r48 is a female. You poor thing.

by Anonymousreply 6108/24/2013

R45 is correct.

by Anonymousreply 6408/24/2013

I videotape kittens jumping into boxes. I'm a filmmaker!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 7008/25/2013

A large proportion of them have come to Seattle and are bitching already. Wait until it starts raining again if it ever does.

by Anonymousreply 7108/25/2013

In 1976.

by Anonymousreply 7208/25/2013

Who the hell thinks that Seattle is cheap?

by Anonymousreply 7308/25/2013

by Anonymousreply 7508/25/2013

[quote]You are already starting to see a culture shift from NYC to LA, and in 10 years or so, I fully expect LA to be on equal or better footing.

They'll both thrive. Because they're SO different as cities, they can never cancel each other out.

by Anonymousreply 7608/25/2013

In the past.

by Anonymousreply 7708/25/2013

R69 has written the most I potent post of this whole thread.

Listen to him in awe.

by Anonymousreply 7808/25/2013

Good luck, R 60, even taking a step like going to the gym can change your life in unexpected ways.

by Anonymousreply 7908/28/2013

mom's basement

by Anonymousreply 8008/28/2013

The app developers in R69's post are not artists. They're just a variation on the computer geek. Piss off, R69.

by Anonymousreply 8108/28/2013

Totally agree, R81.

by Anonymousreply 8208/28/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!