and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Linda Ronstadt has Parkinson's Disease

Too bad, she had a wonderful voice.

by Anonymousreply 9808/24/2013

Really sad.

Shut up R1

by Anonymousreply 208/23/2013

I'm sorry she has it, but old-age-onset Parkinson's can respond very well to treatment.

by Anonymousreply 308/23/2013

My prayers are with her. I know all about this disease.

by Anonymousreply 408/23/2013

She should get her own sitcom.

by Anonymousreply 508/23/2013

"hated," R7?

When you find a life, let us know.

by Anonymousreply 808/23/2013

Watch this become a flag for Lyme Disease. There are already those suggesting that she doesn't have Parkinsons but that her Lyme was never treated correctly.

by Anonymousreply 908/23/2013

Wow - such an incredible vocalist. What a shame. Got to see her twice. She covered so many incredible songwriters. If you love good classic songwriting it is well worth checking out her albums for many gems. I couldn't figure out why she suddenly stopped singing as I had seen her somewhat recently and her voice was excellent.

by Anonymousreply 1008/23/2013

Blue Bayou is the song of my heart! We love you, Linda! Don't fall down!

by Anonymousreply 1108/23/2013

SUCH a shitty shame, she has always been a favorite.

by Anonymousreply 1208/23/2013

She had a fat ass, but she couldn't sing forever.

by Anonymousreply 1308/23/2013

That's too bad. Wish her well. I've always liked her cover of "The Tracks of My Tears."

by Anonymousreply 1408/23/2013

Why exactly does Parkinson's prevent you from singing - does it prevent you from being able to sustain notes or something?

by Anonymousreply 1508/23/2013

She did rock the fuck out of the Pirates of Penzance, despite having no operatic training. Respect:

by Anonymousreply 1608/23/2013

[quote]Why exactly does Parkinson's prevent you from singing

it prevents you from doing ANYTHING! an aunt died of it and she couldn't swallow or move, that's how bad it is.

by Anonymousreply 1708/23/2013

when I read some of the mean spirited things that rise from below for a thread like this, I figure it is time for some gay on gay violence.

by Anonymousreply 2108/23/2013

She was awesome...hasten down the wind album...case closed

by Anonymousreply 2208/23/2013

Such drama? R18 is right, I wouldn't want to wish Parkinson's disease on anybody. And, r1, that was uncalled for.

by Anonymousreply 2508/23/2013

Perhaps her diet was a contributing cause.

by Anonymousreply 2608/23/2013

She was a real beauty back in the day. Although I don't care for most of her material, I really like her Smokey Robinson covers.

I wish her the best of luck with everything.

by Anonymousreply 2708/24/2013

R15 - Loss of muscle control.

by Anonymousreply 2808/24/2013

What an amazing talent. I can't believe she has this disease and Willie Nelson is still going at 80 without any major health issues.

by Anonymousreply 2908/24/2013

I too have a difficult time believing that all the fat pressing on her nerves - and the decades of cocaine abuse necessary to keep it at bay - didn't have something to do with her present state.

That said, she gets a million gold stars in my book for the rumors that, in the '70s while she was on tour, she would have high-school guys sneaked into her hotel room to double-team her. She liked 'em young.

by Anonymousreply 3008/24/2013

She had an awesome voice, perhaps, in pop music, the most awesome voice. (A bigger talent, now deceased, took her place). This is sad because no one should face what she now faces. It's sadder because it silences such a remarkable voice.

by Anonymousreply 3108/24/2013

"She had an awesome voice, perhaps, in pop music, the most awesome voice. (A bigger talent, now deceased, took her place)."

Who? (Am I forgetting someone really obvious?)

by Anonymousreply 3208/24/2013

R32 - I think R31 meant Witney.

by Anonymousreply 3308/24/2013

Holy shit. I can't believe she's only eight years older than me. She must be lying about her age.

by Anonymousreply 3408/24/2013

HA .... I really am old. I thought it said she was 57. Whew.

by Anonymousreply 3508/24/2013

She blew out her vocal cords during double penetration—which made me look like a saint.

by Anonymousreply 3608/24/2013

I come to DL for gossip, but I'm turned off by the meanness.

Maybe it's because in so much of America gays are (or have been) treated like shit that they feel the need to come here and treat others like shit.

I hope I never internalize the hate and turn it on others like so many do here.

by Anonymousreply 3708/24/2013

The meanies are the freepers, don't blame the gays, we are sweet.

by Anonymousreply 3808/24/2013

She just made it up to get attention.

by Anonymousreply 4208/24/2013

Oh noes!

by Anonymousreply 4308/24/2013

Wow, what a bunch of horrifying, broken, toxic queens on this thread.

by Anonymousreply 4408/24/2013

Yeah right,R38.

by Anonymousreply 4508/24/2013

If fatness were a cause for Parkinson's Ann Wilson would have it as well.

by Anonymousreply 4608/24/2013

This is really sad. I used to love her when I was younger. She was so pretty and had such a dynamic voice. Who cares if she got fat, I saw her perform in the early 90s and she was already pretty big then, but her voice was just as good as it was in the 70s.

by Anonymousreply 4708/24/2013

The only ones attacking her in this thread are freepers. Remember, she attacked Bush at a time when it was still very unpopular to do so.

by Anonymousreply 4808/24/2013

There is hope--she needs to join the "Tremble Clefs"

by Anonymousreply 4908/24/2013

Her cover of Desperado still makes me cry. She was one of the best female singers ever - and she did it without auto tune and with her clothes on.

Yeah, I'm talking to all the hoochie mamas who are "singing" today....you all suck!

by Anonymousreply 5008/24/2013

She's a wonderful person, I am sorry to hear about this.

I know people who have met her and they have all said how kind she was to everyone. She's not snobby, or spoiled, or pretentious.

and she really did it on her own--came to California almost with the clothes on her back.

Take care Linda, we love you.

by Anonymousreply 5208/24/2013

Bitch, I'm in my twenties. Worshipping "The Golden Girls" and "The Facts of Life" isn't my style... I'm sure you'll bump the 500 threads on it in about 10 minutes, though.

by Anonymousreply 5308/24/2013

R51, thankfully young gay boys don't confuse their likes with "quality." Right.

by Anonymousreply 5408/24/2013

That's what you get when you go around throwing fish bones a people.

by Anonymousreply 5508/24/2013

[quote]I know people who have met her and they have all said how kind she was to everyone. She's not snobby, or spoiled, or pretentious.

Longtime fan, but I've always heard she was kind of aloof and unfriendly. Nice to read otherwise.

Somebody mentioned this McGarrigle Sisters song in another thread. I'd never heard it before now. Gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 5608/24/2013

[quote]Bitch, I'm in my twenties.

If this is true, it's tragic that you are wasting your time listening to this fat old hag.

[quote]She was one of the best female singers ever - and she did it without auto tune and with her clothes on. Yeah, I'm talking to all the hoochie mamas who are "singing" today....you all suck!

Perhaps you are forgetting about her braless album cover, complete with erect nipples?

by Anonymousreply 5708/24/2013

Love her! Watch this!

by Anonymousreply 5808/24/2013

FF to 6:24 in R58

by Anonymousreply 6008/24/2013

R58, that's even better than the album version. Marvelous.

by Anonymousreply 6108/24/2013

Saw her at Ravinia in Chicago about a decade or so ago. Had never really been a fan, sort of knew her bigger hits, but I was blown away by the purity of her voice and her ability to sustain it over the course of a long concert. First singer I ever heard live who didn't sing a wrong note, it could've been a recording, it was astonishing.

by Anonymousreply 6208/24/2013

The people who hate her are the freezers who infest this place.

by Anonymousreply 6308/24/2013

Bet her vibrato improves.

by Anonymousreply 6508/24/2013

Much is being made of how her voice is now "silenced" but I thought she'd been pretty much retired for years. I wish her the best.

by Anonymousreply 6608/24/2013

I like Linda, but she was the most boring live performer I've ever seen. It was like watching paint dry. Absolutely zero onstage charisma. Her voice is pretty, but it's not thrilling or transcendent like other performers I've seen live in concert.

by Anonymousreply 6708/24/2013

Will we ever hear Señor Plow again?

by Anonymousreply 6808/24/2013

It's funny how Linda Ronstadt is half-forgotten today. She was so big in the 70s, yet she didn't stand the test of time like so many of her contemporaries. The young people don't know her at all, yet they're very familiar with Ann and Nancy Wilson, Pat Benatar, the late Donna Summer, Stevie Nicks etc. Ronstadt, although just as big of a star as the above-mentioned women, isn't on their radar at all.

by Anonymousreply 6908/24/2013

R48 knows her, R69. I'm a Millennial also, and I know her. Remember, she did the theme song for "An American Tail", which millions of Millennials saw as children. Did Heart work on any soundtracks for children's movies? I would also bet good money that a younger person would know Linda Ronstadt before they know Pat Benatar (huh?).

by Anonymousreply 7008/24/2013

[quote] The young people don't know her at all, yet they're very familiar with Ann and Nancy Wilson, Pat Benatar, the late Donna Summer,

What kind of young people are you hanging around that like old people's music?

by Anonymousreply 7108/24/2013

Everybody knows Heart, even 18 year-olds. Magic Man, Barracuda etc.

by Anonymousreply 7408/24/2013

I have her Greatest Hits and big band albums on my IPod, and I love them (yes, even the Nelson Riddle tunes)

by Anonymousreply 7508/24/2013

I saw her in concert once. The "arrested for loitering in front of a microphone" joke came to mind.

She not only didn't sparkle, she looked almost annoyed to be there.

by Anonymousreply 7608/24/2013

Love this song:

by Anonymousreply 7708/24/2013

[quote][R48] knows her, [R69]. I'm a Millennial also, and I know her. Remember, she did the theme song for "An American Tail", which millions of Millennials saw as children. Did Heart work on any soundtracks for children's movies? I would also bet good money that a younger person would know Linda Ronstadt before they know Pat Benatar (huh?).

Some of you are such terrible liars. "An American Tail" came out in 1986. No millenials know that movie.

by Anonymousreply 7808/24/2013

You are one stupid cunt, R78:

"...birth dates from the early 1980s to the early 2000s."

Many, many millennials watched that movie as children. Anyone with a childhood in the late 80's and early 90's probably saw that movie on VHS at some point.

by Anonymousreply 7908/24/2013

[quote]Many, many millennials watched that movie as children. Anyone with a childhood in the late 80's and early 90's probably saw that movie on VHS at some point.

No, they did not. "An American Tale" is a fairly obscure film. Some kids certainly saw it, but the idea there are 20 year olds walking around today singing Linda Rondstadt songs because they grew up watching "An American Tale" is utterly ridiculous.

It's pretty clear some of you think "millennial" means 100 years old.

by Anonymousreply 8008/24/2013

Also, R79, if you are indeed a millennial, why did you need to look up the definition of millenials.

Again, you elderly folk are terrible, terrible liars.

by Anonymousreply 8108/24/2013

That was posted because you clearly didn't know the ages of millennials, and were talking out of your ass. Nice try, though.

"At the time of its release, An American Tail became the highest grossing non-Disney produced animated feature, drawing over US$47 million."

Lots of people know of the song and the movie. You fail, cunt.

by Anonymousreply 8208/24/2013

R81, don't pretend to know our generation. It's just embarrassing.

by Anonymousreply 8308/24/2013

1986 was 27 years ago. If you were 4-9 when it came out you would have been born 1977-1982, or 31-36 today. That's not Millennial.

And then if you were 6 years old, I don't think you'd be begging Mommy to share the back catalog of the lady who sang the theme song.

Delusional L Der Gays. We need to open more retirement homes.

by Anonymousreply 8408/24/2013

Linda Ronstadt had one of the most glorious and versatile female pop voices of the last 50 years. Period. Whether you like her material or not, the power of those pipes cannot be denied.

by Anonymousreply 8508/24/2013

I think she was a terrific artist and performer. I hope she can get relief and live well.

by Anonymousreply 8608/24/2013

The Millennial generation began in the early 1980's. That means that many of the kids who saw this 1986 movie as children are Millennials. The sequel "Fievel Goes West" came out five years later, and many lazy parents bought both VHS copies - along with movies like "Fern Gully" and "A Land Before Time" - to show their T.V. addicted kids. (Children's movies don't expire immediately upon release. These movies were viewed well into the 90's.) When said children grew up, they did research on the songs they heard (wow!), and discovered who the artists were.

Was that difficult for a fortysomething like you to understand, R84?

by Anonymousreply 8708/24/2013

R69, it is a shame that Linda Ronstadt is "half forgotten today", but she never really capitalized on her fame. As she hopped from genre to genre, it seems like she herself forgot about what made her famous, which was primarily her 70's country rock music. She seems to have no sentimentality towards that era of her career to the point that she actually dismisses it in interviews. Had she exploited the gold mine of her 70's and 80's catalog in the 90's by performing those pop hits, she would probably have a higher recognition factor today. She has kept a deliberately low public profile for the better part of 20 years now, and I suppose that is the way she wanted it.

Sadly, even in her upcoming book, she glosses over the 70's era of her career, even though that is what made her millions of fans and dollars in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 8808/24/2013

R82, R83 and R87, no one believes you are millennials. You're just embarrassing yourselves.

Why are you all so threatened by the fact not everyone gushes over this fat has-been?

by Anonymousreply 8908/24/2013

The so called Millennials might not be millennials, but Linda is better known than Pat Benatar.

by Anonymousreply 9008/24/2013

You're just nuts, R89/R90. I know when I was born, and what my cultural references are. It's risible that fortysomethings would dictate to Millennials what they do and do not experience... I'm glad that we've inflicted Rihanna and Ariana Grande on you.

by Anonymousreply 9208/24/2013

I played the shit out of those albums (yes, albums) she cut with Riddle in the early 80s. They exposed me to music that I've grown to love. But as this exposure sparked further exploration, I realized how weak her versions were compared to the originals, so I moved on. Listen to those last notes in Wish Upon A Star and compare it with Barbara Cook's any day.

by Anonymousreply 9308/24/2013

R89 If you want to be seen as cool, then I wouldn't spend an entire day trolling a Linda Ronstadt thread (Five hours so far of this?). You didn't do anything else the entire day?

Some seniors lead busier lives.

R88 She capitalized on her fame by making music she wanted to make.

She did put out several pop albums in the 90's. But she was dealing thyroid disease. The tours that she was able to do were very limited (a couple of weeks at the most) One tour had numerous dates cancelled. We Ran was released with practically zero promotion because she was so sick.

by Anonymousreply 9408/24/2013

[quote]I know when I was born

1938, right?

by Anonymousreply 9508/24/2013

but does she have the Herp?

by Anonymousreply 9608/24/2013

R94, yes, I agree that Linda did capitalize on her fame by making the music she wanted to make - and that produced some glorious results. She had very little concern about whether her albums would resonate with her fans; she followed her own muse and as a result her music was more authentic than say, Madonna's last few attempts to be hip. Unfortunately, Linda's disregard for her fans has resulted in her legend not coming anywhere close to being as respected as it should. She's been a major influence on so many other female performers, and you can hear echoes of Linda in them, but there's just no recognition that. I chalk most of that up to Linda's choice to remove herself from the spotlight - she has had no publicist, or manager really, for years and years. She has no official website. And I think her weight gain in the early to mid 90's also made it terribly difficult for her to put herself out there.

All of the above is just my take on it. Whether it's valid or not, the fact is that we have lost a treasure of a singing voice. But what an amazing catalog of music she produced for us to enjoy! :)

by Anonymousreply 9708/24/2013
Need more help? Click Here.