Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

It has an air of mystery and danger about it. Great poverty and corruption, but also a lot of fun. I have never been. Any firsthand accounts?

by Anonymousreply 4508/25/2013

I witnessed a show by the "Donkey Lady" - it was disgusting. I had always thought she was an urban myth!

by Anonymousreply 108/23/2013

It's great if you're prepared to 1) get arrested and pay off the cops to avoid actually getting put into a cell and 2) be kidnapped off the street and held for ransom.

Yes, both these things routinely happen.

by Anonymousreply 208/23/2013

No idiot at R3, I've been to TJ plenty times and have had to pay off Police. I also know someone that was kidnapped?

What's your TJ experience?

Yeah, thought so.

by Anonymousreply 408/23/2013

Tijuana bring yer mother to the gangbang?

by Anonymousreply 508/23/2013

R2 is right. The having to pay cops off does happen. Some friends and I went down one weekend not too long ago. They were drinking out in front of the hotel and got arrested. Apparently it's okay to drink outside, but only downtown. The cops were really just looking for money. The cops took them in the car, drove them off the road, and my friends had to pay $100 each to not be taken in.

by Anonymousreply 608/23/2013

I've never seen such a filthy and poverty-riden city in my whole life. I remember living in the state of Zacatecas(now ground zero for cartels) and I was not prepared to see what I saw. Little kids (no more than five years old) begging for money. It was horrible.

Of course the nice parts are nice but the poverty can be extreme.

I remember walking in the streets and there were signs of a donkey & woman sex show. I really hope that was just a sick joke or something. :(

Mexico is a beautiful country with a lot of rich culture, architecture, and habitats, but Tijuana is something completely different.

The Maya Riviera is the total opposite. It's one of the most beautiful parts of Mexico, that when you go to Tijuana you're like wtf? What went so wrong?

by Anonymousreply 708/23/2013

[quote][R2] = White panic.

WTF does this have to do with race?!

Stifle your dreary "I hate whitey" schtick for once in your life.

by Anonymousreply 808/23/2013

The kidnapping stuff does happen in TJ. We have a gardener who is originally from Mexico. He told us he was going to TJ to visit family and he would be gone a week or so. We didn't see him for three weeks and when we did he told us how he had been carjacked in TJ and taken to some cabin and held for ransom.

And the police officers there are known for being corrupt. Messing with Tourists is easy cash for them. If they can scare you into giving them $100 why wouldn't they? That's probably more than they're making the entire week.

by Anonymousreply 908/23/2013

"Air of mystery"

You've obviously never been.

by Anonymousreply 1008/23/2013

OP, I vacationed in San Diego. Asked the hotel lobby guy how to get to Tijuana. He discouraged me from going, but gave me directions. At the end he said, "If you are surprised at how miserable it is---but think it HAS to get better---forget it, it won't. It gets only worse the further you get away from the bus depot that brings you across the border.

"The moment you feel this way, LEAVE TIJUANA and come back to San Diego. In this way, you will STILL have an afternoon left in the day to do something worthwhile."

He was right. Endless street urchins selling the same cheap "silver" jewelry. Hawkers, junkies, Pharma places selling cheap drugs, an entire half-block of Tijuana on Main St. burned to the ground and never rebuilt. Awful, horrible, Hell on Earth. Go up to La Jolla instead.

by Anonymousreply 1108/23/2013

On the contrary, it has changed a lot. Juarez is a hole but Tijuana is liveable.

by Anonymousreply 1208/23/2013

R12 is a miserable liar who awaits your crossing the border to steal your passport, cut your balls off and rape your wife.

Tijuana SUCKS BALLS. Go google images of it.

by Anonymousreply 1308/23/2013

Fuck off R14, go to Tijuana and get your dick cut off.

by Anonymousreply 1508/23/2013

R15 Well, I HAVE heard that they have inexpensive surgery clinics there.

by Anonymousreply 1608/23/2013

TJ is a shit hole. A dangerous shit hole. Avoid, avoid, avoid.

by Anonymousreply 1808/23/2013

We did the tourist thing and went over to Tijuana. It was pretty underwhelming. A pretty predictable mix of tourist/market shops, pharmacies selling cheap meds, crappy bars, really mediocre mexican food. Yeah, there is crime and poverty that is evident - but frankly, Camden NJ is far worse.

What stuck with me were these mules that are painted to look like zebras. You pay a couple bucks, wear a sombrero and pose with the donkey. While posing, I thought "Gee what a mild mannered donkey" and that's when I noticed that his front leg/hooves were nailed to a piece of plywood down on the ground to keep him still.

Totally ruined the TJ experience for me, of course, and now several years later that is my strongest memory of the place.

by Anonymousreply 1908/24/2013

US couple that moved to TJ: The next morning, we began to sell off possessions we hadn’t already sold or pawned. Within a week, we were loading everything that remained into the car and heading down to Tijuana.

After four months of searching, we rented a large, American-style house for a fraction of what our one-bedroom apartment in San Diego had cost. There was a flip side, however. In Mexico, if you default on your rent, the landlord may well walk into the house and start grabbing your things, to sell or keep in lieu of funds owed. Still, with prices this low, and the border crossing less than five minutes away, I figured I’d find a job on the American side, after which things would surely pick up. In Tijuana, this is one of the most sought-after living scenarios: American job, Mexican cost of living. t didn’t take long to realize that moving to TJ wouldn’t improve our lives as much as we thought. Living in Mexico posed challenges, chief among them the fact that, even with the border so close, the wait to cross could be as much as three hours. It turns out that having a job in the States — if you can find one — means crossing in the U.S. before 6:00 a.m. and crossing back into Mexico after 6:00 p.m., regardless of your working hours. And American employers are notoriously unsympathetic to cross-border dilemmas. You need to maintain an American address so that they don’t know that you reside in Mexico; otherwise, with most of them, your application goes to the bottom of the list. It was soon clear that we’d need to make money south of the border. With biting poverty and an overabundance of poorly paid local labor available, that would be difficult — especially for gringos.

We did our best for a while. We tried a lot of different things, including selling homemade food — a common business in Mexico — and gathering up free or inexpensive things from Craigslist and yard sales around San Diego, even items abandoned in alleys. We crossed these things into Mexico to sell at neighborhood sobre ruedas (swap meets).

Within a few months, we were working longer, harder hours than if we’d had regular jobs, but for a fraction of the money. Most days, we did only a little better than break even. On one occasion, after being on the road with the baby the entire day, we were fleeced of the last of our gas money by Mexican border inspectors. We ran out on the side of a dark Tijuana road, three miles from home, and wound up trading a pair of boots, a rocking chair, and some tools for a gallon of gas. That misadventure cost twice what we’d earned from the day’s haul. Taking so many steps backward was frustrating, but we tried to remember that, because of this effort, we weren’t homeless. We were taking care of our child. ...... One day at the sobre rueda, Maria heard about a man who hires people who can cross legally into the States. They’re called chofers, which is slang for delivery driver, and a chofer could earn 60 dollars per trip by delivering groceries. This sounded too good to be true. We were reluctant, at first, but desperate people lose their inhibitions, and so, in the end, we called the man. He explained that it was, in fact, only groceries that could be brought legally into the U.S., mostly in the form of homemade food sent up from families in the interior of Mexico to relatives in the States.

by Anonymousreply 2108/24/2013

It's true about the police arresting you for whatever reason. And since I have full, luscious lips they didn't want my money but forced me to suck them off.

by Anonymousreply 2208/24/2013

Before you go, let us know what's on your iPod.

by Anonymousreply 2308/24/2013

I said drop your pants and spread your asscheeks boy!

by Anonymousreply 2408/24/2013

Those people sound extremely stupid.

by Anonymousreply 2508/24/2013

R23 Presumably, this song.

by Anonymousreply 2608/24/2013

I avoid crossing the border. Shit, I get the Hershey Squirts just from eating Taco Bell. I can't imagine what REAL Mexican food would do to my system. Not to mention the drinking water. No thanks!

by Anonymousreply 2708/24/2013

The begging homeless dirty little kids are more than I can take.

by Anonymousreply 2808/24/2013

Hey Gringo! Come down to Tijuana and bring your money----or else!

by Anonymousreply 2908/24/2013

That is very vile R29!

Please don't click that link unless you want to see a gruesome and grotesque picture of decapitated human heads.

by Anonymousreply 3008/24/2013

You been to Mexico, Jack Twist? I'm gonna tell you this one time, Jack fuckin' Twist, an' I ain't foolin'. What I don't know - all them things that I don't know - could get you killed if I come to know them. I ain't jokin'.

by Anonymousreply 3108/24/2013

Its an infected wart on a prolapsed shit hole.

by Anonymousreply 3208/24/2013

He didn't tip his waiter in Tijuana.

by Anonymousreply 3308/24/2013

TJ is not really Mexico, it's basically a lawless boarder town for Americans. Mostly breeders going over there for cheap prescription drugs, fake designer hand bags and under age (18 but who checks) drinking.

From the moment you cross the boarder checkpoint things change dramatically. Don't take your car, it screams rich American please rob or extort me. Even if you take a cab from the boarder station to town, little kids will come up and open the door screaming "tip!,tip!tip". We are talking 5 or 10 at a time. Then there is the guys that try to get you to come see his sister fucking a donkey. Everywhere you turn people are trying to sell you something.

The food is not that good. I have bad better Mexican food at El Torito. You cant drink the water, its contaminated. Need to use the little boys room? Hope you dont want to sit. Most places have a sign up in English for the Gringos to not flush the TP down the toilet. This is because their sewer system cannot handle it. You wipe your ass then toss the TP into a small basket which is usually overflowing. Again, dont drink the water.

That is just the light stuff. Over the last decade or so, it has gotten extremely dangerous. Tourist dont just get robbed by police anymore, they go missing then beheaded. The drug cartel is trying to embarrass the local police by showing them who is in power. Its so bad that a couple of years ago a cruse ship which lost power at see decided to wait 5 days to be towed back to San Diego instead of 1 day in Mexico with a bus ride through TJ. I know people that own property there in Rosetta and are now afraid to go.

Besides, there is no gay scene at all. Its a breeder fuck fest Bangkok style. Only with animals instead of tranny boys.

Breeder walking tour:

by Anonymousreply 3408/24/2013

Tijuana Pride, cant wait, packing my bags now with all those hotties and a pride float.

by Anonymousreply 3508/24/2013

@34 "Its so bad that a couple of years ago a cruse ship which lost power at see decided to wait 5 days to be towed back to San Diego instead of 1 day in Mexico with a bus ride through TJ. I know people that own property there in Rosetta and are now afraid to go."

"Cruse and see?" Are you drunk?

by Anonymousreply 3608/24/2013

NO r36, voice command on my iPad sucks.

by Anonymousreply 3708/24/2013

What a fucking cesspool. I used to live in San Diego, and would only go to TJ when I was feeling down about my life. One hour there will make you SO thankful for whatever "shitty" existence you live here in the states. There were men literally sawing away at the border fence--in plain view--trying to get into the U.S. No one did a thing about it or even paid them any attention. I eventually told one of the customs agents, "Hey--there are a couple of men back there with saws, cutting away at the bars!" She just looked at me and said, "Oh, are they back again?" It was surreal. What a shit hole.

by Anonymousreply 3808/24/2013

You sound like a Grade-A cunt, R38. Just further proof that San Diego is a city of cunts. I've always thought it strange that Mexicans bypass San Diego on their way to LA, but every blue moon or so I have to travel down there, and each time the white racist, conservative vibe reminds me of what a shitty BETA "city" San Diego is... but I guess all is forgiven because its only saving grace is fish tacos and Sea World and the zoo or whatever. Enjoy.

by Anonymousreply 3908/25/2013

What exactly was it about my post that made me sound like a white racist cunt, R39?

by Anonymousreply 4008/25/2013

I never had any desire to go right into the downtown area, however, there's an outdoor market north of the city which is walking distance from the border checkpoint. I went shopping there a number of times for unique picture frames, colorful blankets, carvings, etc. Of course, you could get the same things in San Diego, but at three or four times the price.

by Anonymousreply 4108/25/2013

I went to a gay bar there once -- it was right across the border in that cement-block shopping center to the right of the border crossing. Not very interesting -- they had go-go boys, but they never took off their Speedos.

by Anonymousreply 4208/25/2013

It's where to go for your devil-sitting-on-a-toilet on black velvet painting.

by Anonymousreply 4308/25/2013

I used to walk into Tijuana to get prescription medication that was $1000 per month in the US, and $200 per month in Mexico. The manufacturer was in Europe, so it wasn't knock off stuff. The first 8 blocks from the border are sad, little kids begging, shitfaced sunburned gringos, and those donkeys. But beyond that, it can be quite pretty. Lots of traffic roundabouts with beautiful fountains in the middle etc. And the Caesar salad was invented there!

I own a home in the Riviera Maya (the poster upthread is right) and I will say mordita (police trying to get money out of you) is a problem in any municipality because local police are paid $400 a month, and some of them look at us and think why not? You can always call their bluff by insisting on being taken to their office because you need a receipt, or just offering them 200 pesos because that's all you have on you. The first time I asked to go to their office I was scared shitless, because I thought they might take me up on it, and I'd end up in a jail cell. But they turn me away in disgust every time, because in the time that it takes to pretend to take me to an office they can find 3 other people to fleece out of money. Actually, in my 100+ trips to Mexico, that has only happened 3 times.

by Anonymousreply 4408/25/2013

Went to Rosarito once, just south of TJ. Another dump. There were burned out cars left IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD. Rusting. It was surreal.

by Anonymousreply 4508/25/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!