Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Fiddler on the Roof (1970)

We've had a billion threads on the film versions of Mame and Hello, Dolly!, but as far as I recall not even one on this film, even though it was superior to either of them. Topol is really sexy in this film--I wanted to jump his bear's body. And Paul Glaser is incredibly hot as Perchik.

But why are the daughters so difficult to differentiate from one another in this movie? They have no distinct personalities--just distinct suitors.(It's a problem that goes back to the original Broadway show.) And why is Golde the wife also so colorless? (That's NOT a problem with the original stage show.) And why are the lyrics to the songs so weak when the music for them is so terrific?

by Fan of Bock but not Harnickreply 9801/18/2015

I still can't believe they cast super Irish-American Rosie O'Donnell to play Golde in the last Broadway revival.

It's weird how little love this musical gets given how huge it was when it played (it was for fifteen years the #1 Broadway show of all time) and how many people were in high school productions of it. I guess to be a big beloved show on DL you have to have a big central part for a diva. There are also no threads ever dedicated to "Man of La Mancha," despite what a big hit that was too.

by Fan of Bock but not Harnickreply 208/23/2013

Fiddler and Man of La Mancha were huge hits with my parents and their friends. Not me as a 1960s gay teen.

And the film is just dreary and humorless. At least Zero Mostel, Maria Kanilova and Bea Arthur brought some zaniness to the Broadway stage.

by Fan of Bock but not Harnickreply 308/23/2013

"Jerome Robbins Broadway" included scenes from Fiddler. Jason Alexander was featured in that segment.

by Fan of Bock but not Harnickreply 408/23/2013

I still can't believe they cast super Irish-American Rosie O'Donnell to play Golde in the last Broadway revival.

I can't believe they cast Harvey Fierstein as Tevye. Oh vey, he was wrong for the role.

by Fan of Bock but not Harnickreply 508/23/2013

Topol, the smoker's tooth polish.

by Fan of Bock but not Harnickreply 608/23/2013

And why do the opening shots include pigs on the farm?

by Fan of Bock but not Harnickreply 708/23/2013

I think a lot of people confuse it with "Oklahoma!".

by Fan of Bock but not Harnickreply 808/23/2013

You don't give Sheldon Harnick nearly enough credit, OP.

He is a wonderful lyricist and according to my theatre friends, a genuinely nice old man. Unlike (his good friend) Sondheim, Harnick's lyrics never announce themselves, never show off their cleverness, or dazzle for their own sake. His lyrics are truthful to character, sweet, truthful, and emotionally direct. SHE LOVES ME is one of the best scores in American music theatre. Even an uneven show like THE APPLE TREE has incredible gems that most people don't know about.

It was a very sad day when he stopped writing with Bock, as they brought out the best in each other. And no, I don't particularly like the FIDDLER movie, but I'd walk a mile for a decent stage revival.

by Fan of Bock but not Harnickreply 908/23/2013

And if he likes me

Who cares how frequently he strikes me?

I'll march and gladly wear my arm in a sling

Just for the privilege of wearing his ring!

by Fan of Bock but not Harnickreply 1008/23/2013

I love the actresses who play the daughters. Though I never understood why Hodel looked Irish.

Rosalind Harris, who played Tzietel, later played Golde (the wife) opposite Topol (which must have been creepy).

Paul Michael Glaser is about to start touring as Tevye (!) in England.

As I kid I identified most with Chava probably because she was considered an outcast by her family and village after she married Fyedka.

I love the movie. Was obsessed with it as a kid.

by Fan of Bock but not Harnickreply 1108/23/2013

I was offered Tevye.

by Fan of Bock but not Harnickreply 1208/23/2013

You thought Hodel in the movie looked Irish, r11, or the red-haired and freckled Chava?

by Fan of Bock but not Harnickreply 1308/23/2013

The guy who played Fyedka was gorgeous. His name was Raymond Lovelock but he was Italian, apparently.

The interiors for the film were shot in London and the exteriors near Zagreb, in the former Yugoslavia.

I liked Norma Crane. She looked very right as Tevye's wife. Her face was weather-beaten but she looked like she could have been attractive when she was young.

Lynn Stalmaster did a really great job of casting for Norman Jewison. He was a legend.

by Fan of Bock but not Harnickreply 1408/23/2013

I've never had a problem with the daughters being difficult to differentiate, OP. Tzeitel is strong, Hodel is flirty/sassy, Chava is intense and intellectual. That's always been enough for me.

I agree the actress who plays Golde in the movie was not really vivid enough.

I think you're crazy to think the lyrics are weak.

by Fan of Bock but not Harnickreply 1508/23/2013

Hey LynnStairmaster tell us how you liked August!!!!

by Fan of Bock but not Harnickreply 1608/23/2013

I love the fiddle!

by Fan of Bock but not Harnickreply 1708/23/2013

I love Neva Small as Chava and her red haired freckled look...even Rosalind Harris has a very plain but unique beauty..like a young Streisand w/o makeup and beautiful eyes actually

But agree Hodel (Michelle Marsh or something like that) looks like she wandered in from another village entirely

Julia Migenes was the original Hodel

by Fan of Bock but not Harnickreply 1808/23/2013

Wasn't Bette Midler in the original Broadway cast?

by Fan of Bock but not Harnickreply 1908/23/2013

Yes. She was one of the pigs on the farm.

by Fan of Bock but not Harnickreply 2008/23/2013

R20 If they're going to revive it, Lena Dunham would be perfect!

by Fan of Bock but not Harnickreply 2108/23/2013

I'm available - and Jewish!

by Fan of Bock but not Harnickreply 2208/23/2013

Mel Gibson is being considered for the lead.

by Fan of Bock but not Harnickreply 2308/23/2013

[quote]Wasn't Bette Midler in the original Broadway cast?

No. She was a replacement. Here she is from the 1968 Tony Awards show.

by Fan of Bock but not Harnickreply 2408/24/2013

[quote]I still can't believe they cast super Irish-American Rosie O'Donnell to play Golde in the last Broadway revival. I can't believe they cast Harvey Fierstein as Tevye. Oh vey, he was wrong for the role.

And yet people enjoyed it and the show did very well with them, because it was entertainment, not a documentary, and most people go to enjoy themselves. Now skedaddle back to ATC and discuss how the bottle on the head of the fourth dancer on the left wobbled a little the seventh time you saw the show.

by Fan of Bock but not Harnickreply 2508/24/2013

Why wasn't Bea Arthur asked to reprise the role she played on Broadway?

Pia Zadora was also in the Broadway version as well.

by Fan of Bock but not Harnickreply 2608/24/2013

LuPone writes about Topol when he was starring in Baker's Wife and it was not a pleasure to work with him.

by Fan of Bock but not Harnickreply 2708/24/2013

What about me?

by Fan of Bock but not Harnickreply 2808/24/2013

{quote Even an uneven show like THE APPLE TREE has incredible gems that most people don't know about.

Agree. Saw Barbara Harris in this when I was 17 years old. The cast album remains one of my favorites. great orchestrations too.

by Fan of Bock but not Harnickreply 2908/24/2013

R19- she was a replacement. There is a clip of Midler and the other daughters singing "Matchmaker, Matchmaker" on a 1969 TONY AWARDS telecast that included a salute to FIDDLER, CABARET and MAN OF LA MANCHA.

by Fan of Bock but not Harnickreply 3008/24/2013

r28 Too late, pushin' up daisies.

by Fan of Bock but not Harnickreply 3108/24/2013

Poor Leonard Frey. Died from AIDS. So talented.

by Fan of Bock but not Harnickreply 3208/24/2013

Saw the movie when it first opened. I never saw FIDDLER when it was re-released but I remember about 30 minutes was cut from the film. Of course, it was put back in for the home video releases.

by Fan of Bock but not Harnickreply 3308/24/2013

I'd say it's one of the best movie musicals ever after West Side Story and Cabaret.

by Fan of Bock but not Harnickreply 3408/24/2013

True, Chava has red hair and freckles but Marsh has a round, Irish looking face. She would seem more at home in County Cork than Anatevka. Still, she did a lovely job.

Rosalind Harris played Fanny Brice in Funny Girl in stock back in the 80's, I believe.

Harris and Small are interviewed together and Marsh, separately, on the blu ray extras. Harris and Marsh established a sisterly bond that still exists.

When it opened there was an intermission. It was released with a few minor cuts - nothing major.

by Fan of Bock but not Harnickreply 3508/24/2013

r25 = Hi, Rosie! Still working on those anger management problems, huh?

by Fan of Bock but not Harnickreply 3608/24/2013

[quote]LuPone writes about Topol when he was starring in Baker's Wife and it was not a pleasure to work with him.

You can't take any of her opinions about anyone or anything seriously--she makes the lot of you look like Pollyannas. There was no one in that book she DIDN'T bitch about.

by Fan of Bock but not Harnickreply 3708/24/2013

The lyrics in She Loves me and The Apple tree are much, much better and more interesting than the lyrics in Fiddler.

Part of it was because that Harnick wanted to stick to a more homely register for Fiddler, using only comparisons and images people living in a shtetl would use, so that crimped his style considerably.

by Fan of Bock but not Harnickreply 3808/24/2013

I never had a problem with Chava not looking Jewish enough. There are a lot of Jewish girls with red hair and freckles.

by Fan of Bock but not Harnickreply 3908/24/2013

And Topol was only in his late 30s when he did the film.

by Fan of Bock but not Harnickreply 4008/24/2013

So what are you saying, r38 - it would have been better and more interesting for him to have characters from a shtetl using comparisons and images people from a shtetl wouldn't use?

by Fan of Bock but not Harnickreply 4108/24/2013

No: you've put words in my mouth, r41.

I think Harnick works much better with a wider array of vocabulary and images to use: that's all.

by Fan of Bock but not Harnickreply 4208/24/2013

Ah! Fiddler on the roof! This is one musical I see over and over and over again mentioned in American movies, yet it is virtually unknown in Europe. Has it been made into a movie? Is it worth watching? What other musicals does it resemble?

Sell it to me.

by Fan of Bock but not Harnickreply 4308/24/2013

I grew up with the OBC in our house--my mother loved the music (though we are as goyische as you can get). I saw a number of community and school productions, including good college level ones--the Tevye in the Northwestern production went on to become a cantor, and in the Ithaca College production I saw, the costume designer had worked for Jim Henson, so the puppets for the dream sequence were amazing, huge--like something out of Bread and Puppets. I think it's a great score, a smart and powerful book (nice blend of humor and poignance). As an undergrad, I got to see Mostel do--he toured with it in the late 70s. We were up with the gods, so it didn't carry visually, but he brought his energy and vocal brio to it.

All that said, I always find the film dull--very well done--good direction and beautiful photography, but just kind of dull. Some of it is the performers--Topol and Frey do perfectly good work and probably better scaled to film than Mostel would have been by then (earlier in his career, in something like "Panic in the Streets," he could do subtly dramatic work, but probably not by 1971), and Austin Pendeleton might have aged out by then--but Mostel and Pendleton brought a kind of whimsical, folkloric quality that blended with the reality of the shtetl's poverty and the violence of the pogroms.

Did not see the revival with Molina and Graff or Fierstein and O'Donnell. Since O'Donnell is generally unconvincing playing anything other than the loud suburban girl she is, her Irishness didn't bother me (her Irish-American identity tends to be denotated mainly through the working class moved to the burbs qualities that transcend ethnic heritage).

I agree with those who think Bock and Harnick a wonderful team. Is there a more perfect musical than "She Loves Me"? And "The Apple Tree" always charms and delights me, even in its lesser moments (The Lady and the Tiger is the least interesting). Even "Tenderloin" and "The Rothschilds" have some great songs and numbers. I think I'd be more excited at the prospect of a revival of one of their shows than the umpteenth retread of a Sonhdeim. I mean, he's a genius, but I've seen "Night Music," "Company," "Sweeney" enough.

by Fan of Bock but not Harnickreply 4408/24/2013

>>>>>> We've had a billion threads on the film versions of Mame and Hello, Dolly!, but as far as I recall not even one on this film

Try the link below.

by Fan of Bock but not Harnickreply 4508/24/2013

[quote]Rosalind Harris played Fanny Brice in Funny Girl in stock back in the 80's, I believe.

I saw her in DO I HEAR A WALTZ? at the now defunct Equity Library Theatre in NYC when I was in college.

by Fan of Bock but not Harnickreply 4608/24/2013

I love the film. It's long but involving. I saw the rerelease in 1980 and Teyve's dream scared me. For months, I was terrified that ghost hag would be under my bed. (I was 8.)

Jewison was asked to direct and he had to let them know that, despite his name, he isn't Jewish.

by Fan of Bock but not Harnickreply 4708/24/2013

I wish the "gang members" in WSS were half as butch as the dancers in the "To Life" number in Fiddler.

It would make West Side Story far more compelling to me.

by Fan of Bock but not Harnickreply 4808/24/2013

Neva Small (Chava) is Jewish FWIW.

by Fan of Bock but not Harnickreply 4908/24/2013

[quote] Is there a more perfect musical than "She Loves Me"?

No. Nor will there ever be.

by Fan of Bock but not Harnickreply 5008/24/2013

I enjoy the film, but the second half film, like Act Two of the show is a real downer. I was watching it on TCM recently and my friend came over and started watching it from the wedding on and he thought it was Depression City. He asked me why it was so popular and beloved. I told him the parts he missed are very sweet and somewhat light hearted.

Anyone remember that proposed ABC version that was to star Victor Garner and Andrea Martin in 2003? It was canceled due to the issues overseas at the time. That one would have sucked like their version of THE MUSIC MAN. That thing was a travesty.

by Fan of Bock but not Harnickreply 5108/24/2013

I think there are a number of more perfect musicals than SHE LOVES ME. I think the "Mr. Maraczek!! DON'T!! DON'T!!" and the suicide attempt is awkward and jarring and doesn't fit with the tone of the show - I don't think the show is prepared to deal with the darkness of that. I don't think Kodaly is a very interesting character and "Grand Knowing You" is unearned. Etc.

by Fan of Bock but not Harnickreply 5208/24/2013

The original Jerome Robbins staging had a whimsy and a wackiness that balanced the solemnity and sentimentality.

The film just has the latter. It almost feels like a documentary with a background score.

by Fan of Bock but not Harnickreply 5308/24/2013

Is there any kind of recorded performance (video, not just audio) of "She Loves Me"? I don't know if I'd say it was the best musical ever, but it definitely is one of the most charming.

by Fan of Bock but not Harnickreply 5408/24/2013

Yes, was there ever a PBS or Hallmark production of She Loves Me? Seems like it would have been a natural.

by Fan of Bock but not Harnickreply 5508/24/2013

I worked for this huge Julie Andrews fan who told me that Julie and Dick Van Dyke were in serious talks to do a film version of SHE LOVES ME, but plans got scrapped because musicals were going out of vogue in the late 60s when this was planned.

by Fan of Bock but not Harnickreply 5608/24/2013

For r54 and r55....Here is a 1978 BBC production of "She Loves Me." It's not a perfect version of the show, but pretty damned good.

I humbly disagree with r52. For me, the several darker aspects of the story add a depth unusual for musical comedy.

Just to up the ante, it is also my opinion that there will never be an OCR that comes close to the Barbara Cook/Daniel Massey "She Loves Me."

by Fan of Bock but not Harnickreply 5708/24/2013

Good grief, Mary Tyler Moore singing "Ice Cream"?

Or anything that's not "Mountain Greenery"?

by Fan of Bock but not Harnickreply 5808/24/2013

[quote]Anyone remember that proposed ABC version that was to star Victor Garner and Andrea Martin in 2003? It was canceled due to the issues overseas at the time. That one would have sucked like their version of THE MUSIC MAN. That thing was a travesty

I agree. FIDDLER TV remake would have been awful. THE MUSIC MAN remake for TV was one of the worst.

by Fan of Bock but not Harnickreply 5908/24/2013

R55- British version that was on PBS. I have a copy. It was pretty good except several songs were cut for the allotted two hour broadcast time. There was an interesting interview with Barbara Cook (original Amalia on Broadway) at the end.

by Fan of Bock but not Harnickreply 6008/24/2013

Thanks, R50! I noticed that at the end there are some interviews with the principals conducted by a very young Craig Zadan!

by Fan of Bock but not Harnickreply 6108/25/2013

Hanna Maron, one of the Grand Dames of the Israeli Theater was supposed to play Golde, but was replaced after losing a leg in a terrorists attack in Munich airport when she was on her way to London for wardrobe tests for Fiddler. She’s a great actress but quite a ham, so had she played the part there was no way she wouldn’t have stood out, for better or worse. And I’m sure Topol , being a big fan of hers (and a fellow ham), would not have stand in her way.

BTW, Maron, who is sill professionally active at 89, supposedly holds the Guinness record for onstage longevity, having made her stage debut when she was only 3 in her native Berlin, where she was a popular child star until she and her mother had to fled Germany once the Nazis took over. And while her filmography is rather slim, she has the distinction of playing a small yet pivotal role in one of Cinema greatest classics, Fritz Lange’s M. She was the little blond girl who was Peter Lorre’s victim.

by Fan of Bock but not Harnickreply 6208/26/2013

I remember when YENTL came out and the wags called it TOOTSIE ON THE ROOF.

by Fan of Bock but not Harnickreply 6308/27/2013

Did they all die in the Holocaust?

by Fan of Bock but not Harnickreply 6408/27/2013

R64 That's what makes the ending really sad... I always wonder what happened to them. Tevye, his wife and two youngest daughters were headed to America so they were safe. The eldest daughter and husband would, eventually, go to America but Chava went to Poland and Hodel was in Siberia so I always assumed they and their families were caught up in the Holocaust.

by Fan of Bock but not Harnickreply 6508/29/2013

The Holocaust began at least two decades after the story ends, though.

by Fan of Bock but not Harnickreply 6608/30/2013

I saw the Fiddler Broadway revival in the '80s that starred Topol. I was surprised by how dreary the production felt and how boring he was as Tevye. So I think part of the problem with the film's lack of humor was Topol himself. Tevye is a bigger than life character which didn't come across on film.

by Fan of Bock but not Harnickreply 6708/30/2013

I feel Topol comes across as bigger-than-life in the movie, r67. Certainly not to the extent that Zero Mostel would have - but if there's a problem with the movie, I don't think it's that Topol's performance is too small.

by Fan of Bock but not Harnickreply 6808/30/2013

The original stories are real downers, too. I remember something like Tevye goes blind, Golde dies, one of the younger daughters can't find a man. I could be mixing up what happens to who.

by Fan of Bock but not Harnickreply 6908/30/2013

[quote]Tevye goes blind, Golde dies

Damn, you should have warned that there was a spoiler ahead.

by Fan of Bock but not Harnickreply 7008/30/2013

According to the DVD commentary the actress who played golde found out she had breast cancer during filming, and died not that long after the film came out. Also topal and the guy who played lazer wolf really did hate each other in real life

by Fan of Bock but not Harnickreply 7108/31/2013

R66 that would put the daughters and their husbands in their late 30's/early 40's.

by Fan of Bock but not Harnickreply 7208/31/2013

R51 I agree with you. The first part is light and fun, the second part, slower and depressing and takes place in winter.

R47 I thought I was the only one!!! As a kid, I was a bit afraid of that ghost character and ashamed of it. My parents thought that sequence was especially funny (because Tevye is clever and manipulates his wife with silly superstitions into agreeing to the marriage Tzeitel wants.), and they would always insists I come out of my room to watch this scene eache time, raising the volume to make sure I didn't miss anything of the hilarity. As a result, I was a bit scared.

Nothing scary for an adult (or even older kid), but nothing especially funny either.

Oh, and for me, Hodel looked like a Polish/Slavonic girl, so it works.

by Fan of Bock but not Harnickreply 7308/31/2013

The chick that plays Hodel looks like one of the daughters in NICHOLAS AND ALEXANDRA. I remember when I saw it years ago, , before IMDB, and I was convinced it was her.

by Fan of Bock but not Harnickreply 7408/31/2013

Nothing beats the Fruma Sarah grave yard dream...

by Fan of Bock but not Harnickreply 7508/31/2013

I remember being scared of the opening credit sequence as a little kid! Something about the silhouetted fiddler where you couldn't see his face seemed eerie and menacing. I think it was my bedtime soon after that, so I never got to see the rest and get a chance to be scared by Fruma Sarah!

Actually, now that I think of it (having seen the rest of the movie since then), even when you do see the fiddler later on, the guy who plays him is pretty creepy, isn't he?

by Fan of Bock but not Harnickreply 7609/01/2013

[r74] thank you!! I always thought that too!

by Fan of Bock but not Harnickreply 7709/01/2013

Tzeitel and Motel were such a homely couple. Tzeitel practically had a penis for a nose!

The only daughter remotely pretty was Hodel, but she kind of looked like a pig. Oink oink!

by Fan of Bock but not Harnickreply 7809/01/2013

[quote] I grew up with the OBC in our house

Was Zero Mostel a messy house guest?

by Fan of Bock but not Harnickreply 7909/01/2013

Norma Crane(Golde)was best friends with Natalie Wood.

by Fan of Bock but not Harnickreply 8009/01/2013

r80 .....and she played a prostitute in an episode of "Night Gallery", with Richard Kiley.

by Fan of Bock but not Harnickreply 8109/01/2013

R76, I liked when the fiddler played on the roof at the beginning, but then he appears one night, after Tevye got drunk with Lazar Wolfe.

He springs out of nowhere and starts dancing and playing a little eery music around Tevye who is alone in the dark. I always thought it was a bit weird or that maybe they didn't get the effect they where aiming for?

I understand that the fiddler gives others joy and courage, and Tevye welcomnes it, dances a bit with him, but if I had been in their place, I would have found it creepy.

by Fan of Bock but not Harnickreply 8209/01/2013

Yeah, that's the part I mean, r82. I looked for it on YouTube, but couldn't find it. It just doesn't have the right feeling to me if the central metaphor of the show/movie is supposed to be that the fiddler represents the people of Anatevka (as expressed by Tevye in the beginning). In that scene in the movie, he's so creepy it seems more like he represents the spirit of their impending doom or something.

by Fan of Bock but not Harnickreply 8309/01/2013

I agree R83 .... Or how life can suddenly unravel and you lose control. Well, fair enough, but then, why does Tevye finds it so amusing?

When they meet, Tevye is drunk, and the fiddler eery little music serves as a transition from being drunk and losing contact with reality (maybe a blessing, given the policeman just talked to him about progroms) to the hangover the morning after.

There is an unrealistic dreamlike quality to that scene that make it a bit strange and off.

And yeah, he does look like a little devil, playing the fiddle. He could be the benin cousin of the specimen we have in The Devil and Daniel Webster.

by Fan of Bock but not Harnickreply 8409/01/2013

"Tevye's Dream" from the movie is so much fun. Fruma Sarah looks oddly like...Helena Bonham Carter!

by Fan of Bock but not Harnickreply 8509/01/2013

Pearls! Pearls! Pearls!

by Fan of Bock but not Harnickreply 8609/02/2013

Always entertaining.

by Fan of Bock but not Harnickreply 8709/02/2013

I know it's fun R85. And Fruma Sarah, as depicted by Tevye is the epitome of the (creepy) drama queen. At one point she sings something like :"While you are at it, why don't you give her my pearls!!! Aahhh!!." It's made on purpose an it is fun. And as I stated earlier, I think the humour of the scene resides on the fact that he is trying to frighten his gullible and superstitious wife into refusing Lazar Wolf and accepting the modest taylor instead as a son-in-law.

Yet, as kid, it frighten me a bit. I cannot rationalize it as an adult. Doesn't make much sense. Mind you, being strangled in your bed by a hag is not ha!ha! funny. It's more that my parents "forced" me to watch it. Yeah, there are worst traumas that that.

by Fan of Bock but not Harnickreply 8809/02/2013

Fruma Sarah had a welsh accent!

by Fan of Bock but not Harnickreply 8909/02/2013

I love this one as well

by Fan of Bock but not Harnickreply 9009/02/2013

Watched it for the 4,000th time on PBS last night. Just reminded me what a perfect movie it is. Please don't ever try and remake it. Gorgeously filmed and beautifully acted and Topol owns the role. Norma Crane could not have been better and the daughters were perfect.

by Fan of Bock but not Harnickreply 9109/22/2013

OMG, that clip from the 1968 Tonys -- the women are all yelling, not singing. I would never have been able to sit through that kind of squawking.

by Fan of Bock but not Harnickreply 9209/22/2013

[quote] It almost feels like a documentary with a background score.

R53, that is a very apt description. It would have been better if they filmed it more like a stage play, and less "realism" (like Gypsy).

by Fan of Bock but not Harnickreply 9309/22/2013

I'm watching right now on PBS. What a beautiful movie. I first saw it when I was 9. I'm in my 50's now and it's still so very powerful and touching. Sunrise, Sunset still makes me teary. I've seen recent broadway revivals but still prefer the film. Next to Cabaret it's, for me, the greatest film musical.

And, yes, the ending always makes me sad because I just always assumed the daughters and their families were caught up in the Holocaust.

by Fan of Bock but not Harnickreply 9407/05/2014

Funny piece of trivia from a long-ago thread: Zero Mostel held a grudge over that role going to Topol. Years later Norman Jewison called Josh Mostel about a movie he was casting. In the background Zero yelled out: Tell him to call Topol's son!

by Fan of Bock but not Harnickreply 9507/06/2014

Currently on TCM right now.

by Fan of Bock but not Harnickreply 9601/18/2015

[quote]And, yes, the ending always makes me sad because I just always assumed the daughters and their families were caught up in the Holocaust.

In Chicago?

They all leave at the end and I think Topol says he's going to Chicago.

The only one who stayed was the one who married a goy.

by Fan of Bock but not Harnickreply 9701/18/2015

It's truly a beautiful movie. I cry every 15 min or so.

Its so hard to believe that just one year prior to this Leonard Frey was Harold in "The Boys In The Band" Such a talented man.

I was ten years old when my Mom and Aunt took us kids to see this in '71.

I can remember crying even then.

by Fan of Bock but not Harnickreply 9801/18/2015
Need more help? Click Here.