Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

MTV’s Madonna/Britney/Christina Kiss, 10 Years On: A ‘Wedding’ to Remember

Some people think it was Big Love that made America seriously think about polygamy in a big way. But those of us with slightly longer memories know it was really the 2003 MTV Video Music Awards, which went down in history for a wedding scene between Madonna, Britney Spears, and Christina Aguilera. No actual vows were swapped between this terrible threesome, of course...just spit.

Can it really have been a whole decade since the country lost its collective innocence about girl-on-material-girl-on-dirrty-girl action? The three stars weren't the only ones with their mouths wide open, as millions of viewers' jaws dropped in unison.

The opening production number of the August 28, 2003 VMAs would have been newsworthy enough if it had just been a duet between Britney and Christina, as it initially appeared to be. These two sexpots had been rivals since their "Mickey Mouse Club" days, so when they teamed up to pay tribute to Madonna by donning her famous bridal gear for a duet of "Like a Virgin," her-story was being made. But that newsworthy detente was overshadowed when Madonna herself emerged, in some equivalent of groom's wear. In an instant, it was clear who still wore the pants in the diva world.

If you forgot that Aguilera was even in on this, you're not the only one. After Madonna got smoochy with Spears, the cameras cut away to the latter's ex-boyfriend, Justin Timberlake, in the audience. By the time Madge moved on to Aguilera seconds later, the Christina kiss had already been rendered anticlimactic.

But little did we know that neither of the young acolytes were even MTV's first choice to play Madonna's fellow lipstick lesbian. "They weren’t necessarily the first couple of people who were on the hit list," MTV Music Group president Van Toffler told EW last year. "Originally J.Lo was in the mix. That didn’t happen." (Obviously — we'd remember.) "And the thing about Britney and Madonna was they had [bad] history, so it was not easy to get them together on the stage. Both Britney and Christina obviously respected Madonna, so only she could pull that off.”

Bringing irreconcilable divas together for an important cause truly established MTV as the United Stations of fake lesbianism. Little remembered is the fact that Missy Elliott was also onstage for this medley, shunted off to the side for the most important moment. Even less remembered is that Elliott won Video of the Year that night. You notice how much her status as a pop star has fallen since then? There may be a lesson for everyone here: No tongue, no tenure.

In 2011, MTV indulged in cat torture by forcing three kitties to dress up in bridal wear for a feline reenactment of the famous kiss. Having once invited the wrath of the American Family Association, MTV seemed now to be rage-baiting the SPCA.

Madonna appears to have mixed feelings about being so well remembered for her sapphic-superstar moment. Asked by "Nightline" in January 2012 if she'd do it again, she answered, "No, I already did it. I don't like to repeat myself." But maybe she was feeling lustier by April of last year, since she tweeted to Spears, "Please come onstage and kiss me again. I miss you!!"

There was no mention of inviting poor Christina back, you'll notice. Woe unto those who have to settle for sloppy seconds.

by Anonymousreply 3208/26/2013

This was Vadge attention sloring her way into the hearts of the early 2000s teeny boppers who were starting to forget her. Jennifer Lopez made a wise choice to withdraw from joining this performance (it was rumored she was originally part of the lineup).

by Anonymousreply 108/23/2013

Oh big deal. It was a moment that shocked no one except my great-aunt Gloria in San Jose.

by Anonymousreply 208/23/2013

The performance.

by Anonymousreply 308/23/2013

Worst-kept-secret-lesbian Missy Elliot probably rubbed one out before joining them on stage for the end.

by Anonymousreply 408/23/2013

Last iconic MTV VMA performance.

by Anonymousreply 508/23/2013

[quote]Jennifer Lopez made a wise choice to withdraw from joining this performance (it was rumored she was originally part of the lineup).

Read the article, eh R1?

by Anonymousreply 608/23/2013

Britney was so trim then.

by Anonymousreply 708/23/2013

The beginning of the end. No one cares about this and it shat all over the memory of the iconic original Like a Virgin performance.

Putting that tuneless Hollywood crap in the mix was the icing on the cake for this incoherent mess. Then we got Me Against the Music and Into the Hollywood Gap. She was not handling middle age well.

by Anonymousreply 808/23/2013

Britney performance from that time.

by Anonymousreply 908/23/2013

Agree with R8. This was Madonna's jump the shark moment. It was the first time she did something that seemed desperate.

by Anonymousreply 1008/23/2013

[quote]Can it really have been a whole decade since the country lost its collective innocence about girl-on-material-girl-on-dirrty-girl action?

Oh, grow the fuck up.

by Anonymousreply 1108/23/2013

Does the article mean that Britney and Christina had a bad history? I thought maybe Britney and Madonna also had issues, but it doesn't make sense with the sentence that comes after.

by Anonymousreply 1208/23/2013

Desperate. That was the talk at the time. Madonna trying to push back the clock by kissing girls young enough to be her daughters. She wasn't fooling anybody then just as she's not fooling anybody now.

What is this bitch going to do when she hits the big six-oh?

by Anonymousreply 1308/23/2013

I believe Pink was the other original one suggested along with JLo but she pulled out saying she was no one's bitch. Brit and Xtina were the only 2 that made sense from a pop culture standpoint.

Britney's lipsynching was embarrassing but not as much as Madonna's live singing. The cuts to the celebs in the crowd were extremely irritating and strategic - such as Mary J. Blige's look of disgust at Xtina, the two had a bad history. Mess of epic proportions.

by Anonymousreply 1408/23/2013

Wow, I did not know that about Pink, R14. That makes me like her more.

I remember thinking this performance was slightly entertaining but I don't know why popstars are ok with being seen as someone's progeny. If you're trying to make your own mark (especially on the pop world), that's the LAST thing you want people to think about you: that you're an updated copy of someone else.

by Anonymousreply 1508/23/2013

It was this stupid stunt that Vadge sold out and everyone realized how desperate she had become. It's been downhill ever since.

by Anonymousreply 1608/23/2013

Funny how just a few months before the performance Madonna was hawking an image that rejected fame and celebrity. She openly dismissed it as superficial. Then, once American Life tanked, she quickly changed her tune. How can anyone have taken her seriously after such an obvious and abrupt about face? At this point, she has even opened gyms named after one of her CD's, and fabricated fake attention getting controversies like that obvious and lame hydrena (sp?) plant incident. Does anyone really believe that was not staged for PR?

by Anonymousreply 1708/23/2013

Pink just as much a phony as any other celebrity. She just played the game in other ways, see the beginning of her career.

by Anonymousreply 1808/23/2013

R16, it's been ten years and several hundreds of millions later, desperate or not, she's doing something right with her career. People like you have been saying the same crap for what, 30 years now? I remember when people like you we're calling her a one hit wonder. She's continued to make hundreds of millions, she's quite possibly even a billionaire now, and you're still saying she's desperate and over. I think she will be done when she decides, not you.

by Anonymousreply 1908/23/2013

R19 hit it out of the ball park.

And R13, you are the only sissy in the world who can continuously turn "desperate" into a gay word.

by Anonymousreply 2008/23/2013

I remember that the next day on TRL, one of the hosts (Carson, or Damien something) asked MIA (remember her?) if she would have accepted an invitation to be part of the performance, and her response was, "Ewww, no! I like men!"

by Anonymousreply 2108/23/2013

This is 1 of those all-time worst performances that only idiots view as "iconic" (see R19 and R20 ).

First, this was at Shitney's peak and this is why I can't with her defenders. Even before the breakdown, her voice sounded like fucking shit! Anyone who can simply carry a tune should be able to sing "Like A Virgin" live. Shitney needed prerecorded vocals, and those prerecorded vocals were auto-tuned, nasally and just horrible. Around this time we heard her collaboration flop with Vadge. On this track, Shitney is fucking getting out sung by Vadge. When you make Vadge sound like the better singer, you seriously suck.

On to Xtina, this was during her "dirty" phase and she was trying to convince her white female and gay teen fans that she was "bad ass" and "down" to do "edgy" stuff. It backfired, as there's no need for someone like Xtina who can actually sing, to do such an attention whoring stunt.

Now with Vadge, this WAS desperate. R14 , Mary J Blige was looking at Vadge in disgust. It was clear she's not a fan of hers. This was really the last thing Vadge could think of that would "shock" middle America. Anyone who believes Vadge when she talks about being spiritual, genuine, a good person and all that BS is a fool.

Jennifer Lopez would probably only kiss another woman in a movie, but never during a music performance.

by Anonymousreply 2208/24/2013

Madonna's career was in the toilet. This was too contrived.

by Anonymousreply 2308/24/2013

r21, MIA wasn't famous in summer 2003. Are you talking about Mya? I definitely remember Missy Elliott (who was actually a part of the performance) saying that her mom would go nuts if she did something like that when asked whether she would have done the kiss, which, hoo boy.

by Anonymousreply 2408/24/2013

It was like the beginning of modern day attention whoring the way DL recognizes it.

by Anonymousreply 2508/24/2013

You remember Garry Shandling and Brad Garrett sharing a kiss at that year`s Emmys as a response?

by Anonymousreply 2608/24/2013

Same that she`s doing right now,R13,it`s only in 5 years time. The question is actually,what will she be doing when she`s 80?

by Anonymousreply 2708/24/2013 is an irrelevant site going under.

by Anonymousreply 2808/24/2013

R28,not a shill but according to CNN yesterday,Yahoo recently surpassed Google in traffic for the first time in two years. Is it because Google is lately more interested in making various products IDK, but it`s a bit of a shame considering how fascist Yahoo comments can sometimes get.

by Anonymousreply 2908/24/2013

Madonna gave Yahoo money to spite R28

by Anonymousreply 3008/24/2013

Yes, r24, Mya.

by Anonymousreply 3108/26/2013

another embarrassing pop culture moment of which Vadge is proud. There's really nothing left for her to do on stage except either get fucked or masturbate. She really is a low budget bitch. It's shocking how popular and admired she is by moronic and confused gays/fraus.

by Anonymousreply 3208/26/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!