Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Has anyone ever stayed in a Yotel?

I get into London at 11pm from Rome and leave at 1pm the next day for the States--these hotel rooms look very bizarre (violet sheets and lighting and small cabin-like rooms, with no windows) but very practical and inexpensive. Have any of you stayed at the ones at Heathrow (or in other cities)?

by Anonymousreply 3708/24/2013

Here's the look of the place with the weird violet cabins.

by Anonymousreply 108/23/2013

My partner and I stayed in the one in Heathrow last fall on a layover between Rome and Chicago. We loved it. It's reasonably easy to get over to the terminal and find the place. Checkin took only seconds. The rooms are tiny but extremely efficient, high-tech and clean. It was just nice, on maybe a seven or eight hour overnight layover, to be able to take a quick shower, sleep a few hours, take another quick shower and bop back over to for a quick breakfast in the first class lounge, without having to find your way to some off-site hotel.

by Anonymousreply 208/23/2013

Everyone please note that [R2] flew first class. The relevance of this to OP's question is nil -but rest assured, it's been duly noted.

by Anonymousreply 308/23/2013

I was thinking it would make sense to stay here because I just want to catch forty winks and then leave the next day (my alternative was taking a flight at 7:45 the next morning from Rome to London, which would mean staying the night at a hotel in Fiumicino close to the airport and dealing with stick-em-up taxis early in the morning to get from the hotel to the airport). Thanks for the endorsement, r2.

by Anonymousreply 408/23/2013

Sorry, R3, didn't mean to sound like a dick. Was just recounting a pleasant experience that included the Yotel.

by Anonymousreply 508/23/2013

OP/R4, I defniitely think the Yotel is a better option than staying in Rome. The Yotel room was fun - the bed has a button that collapses it into more of a sofa when you're walking around, then when you want to go to sleep, extends to full size (and blocks the walkway). The bathroom basically becomes a shower and while glass-walled, has a curtain for privacy when you need it.

by Anonymousreply 608/23/2013

As a secondhand report, I mentioned the Yotel at Heathrow to a friend who had an odd layover between a flight from California and a train journey from London. It was too long to lounge about at the airport, but perhaps not long enough to justify checking in and out of an expensive London hotel room -- and an airport hotel with its shuttles and bad food seemed an even less attractive option.

My friend is not so much difficult to please as difficult to impress, but she raved about the Yotel as a great solution: compact and tiny, but very well conceived and maintained and surprisingly pleasant.

by Anonymousreply 708/23/2013

So please forgive my ignorance, but if these rooms are rentable by the hour, they must have housekeepers on 24/7 to redo the rooms as soon as someone checks out, yes?

Are there turn down mints?

by Anonymousreply 808/23/2013

Have you thought about purchasing a day pass to the first class lounge of one of the airlines. They're usually about $50 with like minded passengers looking for a place to fit in a snooze, have some snacks, check email, and take a shower.

by Anonymousreply 908/23/2013

They look kind of fun.

Plus you could pretend you are Patty Hearst!

by Anonymousreply 1008/23/2013

Stayed at one in Paris this past May. Room was small, clean, functional and the wildest orange color. Great bar.

by Anonymousreply 1108/23/2013

I met a Scruff hookup at the Yotel on 10th Ave and ended up spending the night.

The room was very small, but the bed was comfortable and the shower was nice. It's a little weird looking, but very clean.

by Anonymousreply 1208/23/2013

What about the one in NYC (Times Square)? It seems to be a somewhat different concept (they expect longer stays) and isn't much of a bargain.

by Anonymousreply 1308/23/2013

There is an airport hotel at FCO--you can walk to the terminal. I did this in the summer.

Alternatively, stay in a hotel in Rome near the Termini and take the train to FCO--again, very easy.

by Anonymousreply 1408/23/2013

R13, I didn't even know there were other Yotels outside of New York.

by Anonymousreply 1508/23/2013

TOO expensive in NYC to try

by Anonymousreply 1608/23/2013

It looks cool to me. like a sleeper car in a train. Do it.

by Anonymousreply 1708/24/2013

R3, it was duly noted: by you.

by Anonymousreply 1808/24/2013

The NY Yotel is a rip off. You can get a better room on Priceline for fewer $$.

However I love the concept and if well priced they would be a great boon for crowded cities.

by Anonymousreply 1908/24/2013

No one ever has.

by Anonymousreply 2008/24/2013

Are they stocked with Go-Gurt?

by Anonymousreply 2108/24/2013

R4,

Fiumocino has a hotel attached to the airport--I think it was a Hilton. When I stayed there, about 5 years ago, it came to $144 for the night.

by Anonymousreply 2208/24/2013

This is the first I've heard of yotel.

by Anonymousreply 2308/24/2013

Last year we missed our last leg of our trip @ Heathrow and tried to get a room @ Yotel. They were completely booked. The front desk seemed rather seedy.

by Anonymousreply 2408/24/2013

[quote]En suite bathroom with Monsoon rain shower

I wondered what happened to Edina after AbFab ended.

by Anonymousreply 2508/24/2013

Yotel Le He Hooooo! Toaster Strudel?

by Anonymousreply 2608/24/2013

Those used to be my favorite chocolate cake snack.

by Anonymousreply 2708/24/2013

You're asking for it, OP.

by Anonymousreply 2808/24/2013

I suppose I would have to get over my claustrophobia, wouldn't I?

by Anonymousreply 2908/24/2013

They used to be called pod hotels

by Anonymousreply 3008/24/2013

[quote] The NY Yotel is a rip off. You can get a better room on Priceline for fewer $$.

And get a hair dryer, coffee maker, iron and ironing board which most hotels don't have.

by Anonymousreply 3108/24/2013

I'd get claustrophobia. I was in transit from Tokyo to Jakarta and my layover was in Singapore so I had to spend the night at the airport as the flight came in very late and my next flight was the next morning but it seemed like it was a normal hotel with a check in desk in the Terminal. Nothing like these weird little pods.

by Anonymousreply 3208/24/2013

[quote]I didn't even know there were other Yotels outside of New York.

NYC. Heathrow. Gatwick. Schiphol. With others planned. All in the Yotel brand.

Of course there are many others that are much the same but under different names. Search for "pod hotel" plus a city or airport name.

by Anonymousreply 3308/24/2013

[quote] which most hotels don't have.

Sorry. I typed "yotels" but Steve Jobs changed it to "hotels."

by Anonymousreply 3408/24/2013

No, but I spent a few hours in yo mama last night.

by Anonymousreply 3508/24/2013

R29, I'm extremely claustrophobic, but I was fine in the Yotel. There's no real room to walk past the bed when it is extended, but it's a full height room, and the bathroom is clear glass, so I never felt trapped.

by Anonymousreply 3608/24/2013

It's sounding like a coffin.

by Anonymousreply 3708/24/2013
Need more help? Click Here.