Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Obama's silence on Chris Lane, race and ruined black families

This usual asshat actually does have a point. It should have been treated as a hate crime. It was put out today that it won't be.

---

HOUSTON, August 23, 2013 — President Obama’s silence on the murder of Chris Lane is the appropriate response of a president to a local criminal matter that has not gone to court. Obama’s quickness to insert himself into high-profile police matters and opine on guilt, innocence and the role of race makes his sudden propriety remarkable, however. The deputy White House press secretary said on Wednesday that the White House was “unfamiliar with the case.” The rest of the country by then was familiar and becoming more familiar with the case.

On Friday, August 16, 22-year-old Chris Lane was shot and killed in cold blood by teenagers who later told police they killed Lane at random because they “were bored.” Lane was white, and the two teens charged with first degree murder in his death are black. A third, white teenager, Michael Jones, was charged with aiding and abetting the murderers. Jones’ race apparently innoculates this incident from racial interpretations, even though James Edwards, one of the killers, had recently tweeted about his hatred of white people and about his pride in beating up five white people. The trio had threatened the life of another young black male for his refusal to join their offshoot of the Crips, a predominantly black gang.

James Johnson, a resident of the same neighborhood as the suspects, says that he is certain that Lane’s killing was part of a gang initiation. Johnson, who knew the suspects for their entire lives, said that the Crips had recently developed a strong presence in Duncan, and that many of the neighborhood kids, including the suspects, were members or wanted to become members.

Rev. Al Sharpton, Rev. Jesse Jackson, Attorney General Eric Holder and even Obama were some of the loudest advocates for “justice for Trayvon Martin,” a refrain that meant much more than just a trial verdict. This was about justice for all black men. They are all conspicuously silent now.

Around 3:00 p.m. on a breezy Summer afternoon in Duncan, Oklahoma, Lane, an Australian native who was visiting his girlfriend, decided to go for a jog. Edwards, 15, Chauncey Luna, 16, and Jones, 17, drove up behind him and shot him twice in the back with a .22 caliber revolver.

Both bullets pierced Lane’s lungs but did not immediately kill him. The murderers left Lane to die in a road-side ditch, gasping for air. He ultimately died from suffocation at a nearby hospital less than an hour after setting out on that afternoon jog.

Although the teen suspects later admitted to the murder and told the police that they killed Lane out of boredom, there is mounting evidence showing that Lane’s death was actually a gang initiation.

At 7:05 p.m., approximately three hours after Lane died, Johnson was working on his truck in the Immanuel Church parking lot. The parking lot is located directly across the street from the house where Johnson’s teenaged son and ex-wife live.

Johnson suddenly received a frantic phone call from his son, Chris, stating that the suspects had threatened to kill him, were armed and were on their way to his house. Johnson, having noticed the suspects recently turn into the church parking lot, immediately called the police.

Johnson was unaware of the manhunt for the three teens, but police arrived within minutes, and took the subjects into custody. Police found inside the vehicle a shotgun and a .22 caliber revolver.

According to Johnson, the suspects had tried to get his son to join the gang but his son refused. It was this refusal that apparently prompted Edwards to threaten Chris Johnson’s life via Facebook, just hours after killing Lane. Chris Johnson has since been sent away to boarding school for his safety.

Johnson said that he believes the suspects were good kids, but “they don’t have proper fathers in their lives. You can’t be a friend to your son, you got to be the father.” These comments highlight why Obama should focus a national spotlight on this case. If these lost souls had a father figure, statistics show it is extremely less likely that they would engage in senseless violence.

One of the core issues underlying violence and homicides in this country is the deterioration of the black family. The rise of the welfare state has devastated black families and caused skyrocketing violence in the black community.

Obama is so far unmoved by the destructive impact of welfare policy. His concern is focused on issues that can further divide America and politically benefit the Democrats. He wants a national conversation on race, one in which the Al Sharptons of America do all the talking and the rest of us stay silent.

A more useful national conversation would be about the perils and detrimental effects of centralized government. It would be good for the country and especially the black community, but not for the Democrats. The mainstream media take their direction from the White House, so that part of the Lane story will be widely ignored.

On July 19, 2013, the day after George Zimmerman was declared not guilty, Obama said: “There are very few African American men who haven’t had the experience of walking across the street and hearing the locks click on the doors of cars. There are very few African Americans who haven’t had the experience of getting on an elevator and a woman clutching her purse nervously and holding her breath until she had a chance to get off. That happens often.”

Obama added, “it’s important to recognize that the African American community is looking at this issue through a set of experiences and a history that doesn’t go away.”

Senseless violence is disproportionately perpetuated by young black men. That is another set of experiences and a history that doesn’t go away. It explains why when those car doors are locked and those purses are more tightly clutched, black men and women like Jesse Jackson are among those doing the locking and the clutching.

Obama and other black leaders’ refusals to address the destruction of the black family, which has led to a generation of violent, lost souls like Lane’s killers, leaves black and white Americans alike no choice but to continue taking rational steps, like locking their doors, to avoid becoming the next Chris Lane.

by Anonymousreply 6408/24/2013

by Anonymousreply 208/24/2013

But according to the parents, these kids are little angels who would never do anything wrong. Who's doing the ruining here?

by Anonymousreply 308/24/2013

"He probably hated his own mother."

well now there's a rational, level-headed assessment of the situation.

by Anonymousreply 508/24/2013

All the same people were also silent on the brutal and horrific beating of Thomas Maslin in DC.

by Anonymousreply 708/24/2013

I have never heard of this case, and neither has any one I told about it; so why is there an assumption that President Obama has heard about it and simply refuses to speak about it? It's a regional murder, one of 1000s.

As to the problem of the black family he has spoken about that issue on a number of occasions, holding black men in particular accountable for not stepping up in their roles has husbands, fathers, and community leaders; he did this in probably his most famous speech about "race," during his first campaign, so to suggest otherwise is to simply lie on the same level as claiming he hasn't produced a birth certificate, and betray an agenda that is already pretty obvious.

And specific to the issue at hand, nothing in that article provides an iota of proof that this was a racially motivated crime, other than the fact the perpetrators and the victims were of different races. Stories of anomic youngsters who kill "just for the thrill of it," or to "know what it feels like," have cropped up on a regular basis in the tabloid news to less and less and less attention since the '70s; as a 45 year old, I can't remember a single president commenting on any of them, and I'm not sure why they would.

The bottom line is that many whites want the media to be "neutral," about race, not objective, which means to portray a society in which black people hate them as much as they hate blacks (i.e., the NAACP = the KKK as per John Grisham movies) and where they are as subject to as much anti-white discrimination, segregation, and historical stigmatization as vice-versa. Many straights feel the same way about gays, and often enough, the media complies (particular as to the most hated sub-group, blacks) as in this piece. But the fact is that isn't objective reality. Feel free to proceed on your feeding frenzy; you might even pressure the White House in to a Oprahesque mea culpa which will leave you feeling justified but of course, unsatisfied. But it won't change reality, or make anything better.

by Anonymousreply 808/24/2013

[quote]I have never heard of this case, and neither has any one I told about it

You and your acquaintances must be blind, deaf, and stupid. This made international media. Even Australia is demanding justice. This is a HUGE case.

by Anonymousreply 908/24/2013

Another huge problem is the local LEOs, who according to them "don't have any gangs" there.

Riiiight.

Of course, if the sheriff is white and the accused/victims are black, he might have no idea, since he wouldn't care.

by Anonymousreply 1008/24/2013

How in the fuck does this brutal, unprovoked killing have anything to do with the president!? Nothing. Quit the false equivalencies and racial browbeating. These perpetrators are behind bars and will pay.

by Anonymousreply 1208/24/2013

False equivalency. Two black, one white. It didn't matter what color the victim was. They were looking for someone to kill. The perps are in jail. The Trayvon case was protested because Zimmerman was not arrested or charged.

by Anonymousreply 1308/24/2013

The Washington Times is not a legitimate news source.

by Anonymousreply 1408/24/2013

The right are baiting for a race war, claiming this murder was the same as Trayvon's.

But it was not, simply because the killers were promptly arrested. Trayvon's killer was let go that same evening, and only arrested after national and international protests.

Don't take the bait. Or do, if you also have a boner for a race war.

by Anonymousreply 1508/24/2013

You gave yourself away, R15, only freepers use the words "race war".

by Anonymousreply 1708/24/2013

R4, there's really nothing to say to people like you except: I'm embarrassed for you.

by Anonymousreply 1808/24/2013

It's going to trial, genius @R9, so what exactly is the issue? That the racist twits amongst us define "justice" as no trial, just a hangin'?

by Anonymousreply 2008/24/2013

You're an idiot R19.

by Anonymousreply 2108/24/2013

Aurora, AZ, Newtown. How many adults and children were taken out just in those three mass murders?

You think R19 ever said "whites are becoming more loathed"? No, because that's what racists do.

by Anonymousreply 2208/24/2013

This is due to George Zimmerman being found not guilty. That was a travesty that will go on to be the gift that keeps on giving.

by Anonymousreply 2308/24/2013

My theory is that white people are all worked up over Chris Lane because or exactly what R23 just said.

"See, Martha! Angry blacks are rising up everywhere and taking their revenge for the Zimmerman verdict! They'll never let it go, Martha. Never. They'll end up killing us all over this, you wait and see. Zimmerman wasn't even white! Just look at him! Now do you understand, Martha, why I had to stay up until past our bedtime those nights, and try to correct those posts online that kept calling Zimmerman a white man? Those blacks should have been off killing Hispanics, not us."

by Anonymousreply 2408/24/2013

There is a major similarity between the murders of Martin and Lane.

Both men would be alive today if they had not run into strangers with guns.

by Anonymousreply 2508/24/2013

The big outcry over the Trayvon Marin case is that he was an unarmed person shot for no reason at all and his killer walked free. The outcry was so that Zimmerman would be arrested and tried for the crime. These kids have already been arrested and will be tried, so there is no reason for an outcry.

by Anonymousreply 2608/24/2013

To me the 'outcry' from the Lane case (besides the sheer brutality of the thing) is about the perceived inconsistency with hate crime legislation. And also this guy was a well known baseball player from another country. Shameful for America's gun problems. I hope all countries boycott us until the politicians are forced to act.

by Anonymousreply 2708/24/2013

[quote]And also this guy was a well known baseball player from another country.

May he RIP, but... are you fucking high? He was not known at all. Where did you get the idea he was well-known? He was even playing at a school that I doubt most had ever even heard of.

by Anonymousreply 2908/24/2013

R28 - you're rewriting history.

If the case had not gotten national attention there would have been no charges or trial.

by Anonymousreply 3008/24/2013

[quote]This is not looking good for Obama.

Good lord. I thought the 2012 election was the last time I'd have to read that phrase. Give it a rest all ready. Jeez.

by Anonymousreply 3108/24/2013

I posted this in the other thread but I'll post it here too:

I do think Obama should acknowledge the murder of Christopher Lane simply because he was a visitor to our country and the Australian prime minister has already advised against traveling to the US. It would be a good diplomatic move.

by Anonymousreply 3208/24/2013

The OP is a fucking idiot, a evidenced by his using the Washington Times as his source. It has as much validity as Fox News -ie, none.

This is not a hate crime because he wasn't killed because he was white. He was killed because he happened by at the exact moment the little fuckwads had decided killing someone would relieve their boredom.

by Anonymousreply 3308/24/2013

r33 We don't know if these thugs were gunning for a white guy or not. Maybe we'll never know. Was it just Lane's "bad timing"?

by Anonymousreply 3508/24/2013

Do rednecks know how to tweet?

by Anonymousreply 3608/24/2013

I think some of you have gotten lost. Here's where your brethren are posting.

Don't hurry back!

by Anonymousreply 3708/24/2013

There are countless black people murdered, you don't seem too concerned that Obama ignores them, too.

I'm sure if this foreign kid wasn't white, half of these posts wouldn't be here.

by Anonymousreply 3808/24/2013

I'm sick of this whole hate crime bullshit. As if beating or raping or killing someone is any better or worse, or more evil or less evil, if the victim is the same race as you or a different race as you, or if you're gay and she's straight, or you're a woman and he's a man, etc. etc. ad nauseam. Shouldn't our attitude be that ALL violent crime is COMPLETELY unacceptable no matter what, and that the criminal should get the harshest punishment possible regardless of their motive? I don't know who thought it was a good idea to institute some sort of hierarchy of "This murder is worse than that murder because in that murder the victim was the same race as the murderer."

by Anonymousreply 3908/24/2013

Obama has not ignored "black crime" because Obama has spoken out frequently about the easy availability of fire arms. Now, do we really need a statement from the President to clarify his position on black people murdering white people? Can we all assume that Obama agrees with the existing laws against murder? Lord have mercy. The freepers are so disingenuous.

by Anonymousreply 4208/24/2013

Sing Out,R40 Thank you!!!

by Anonymousreply 4308/24/2013

[quote]Obama has not ignored "black crime" because Obama has spoken out frequently about the easy availability of fire arms.

R42 I'll give you that the freepers are disingenuous.

But you're being disingenuous as well. Obama has not spoken out frequently about the easy availability of firearms.

Gun control wasn't a major issue for him prior to the recent legislative attempts which crashed and burned.

It hasn't been an issue since the legislation crashed and burned.

by Anonymousreply 4408/24/2013

I don't see why the president should comment on it. It doesn't really touch on wider cultural concerns the way the Trayvon Martin case did. Black youths are not regularly slaughtering innocent passersby in the streets--this was a weirdly isolated incident.

But black men are constantly getting in trouble with the law for walking at night "where they shouldn't be": i.e. anywhere but the ghetto. It was important for the president to bring attention to this.

by Anonymousreply 4508/24/2013

You people just won't stop being retarded.

The outrage in the Trayvon Martin case was that some unarmed kid could be gunned down on the street and the guy who did it said, "Meh, self defence." There were no witnesses backing up his claim of self defence. It's the duty of the police to investigate and determine if a crime has been committed. They didn't. They just shrugged and said, "Whatever" and let Zimmerman go.

Zimmerman would not have been investigated, arrested and tried were it not for public outrage.

In the Chris Lane case, the perpetrators did not claim self defense and were not let go by the cops. Thy were immediately arrested. So there's no need for a public outcry for justice.

Get it yet, tards?

by Anonymousreply 4808/24/2013

Gang violence is a cultural concern R45. Just this time it happened to a foreigner with a promising future, and got international attention. I hope there is a national debate about it.

by Anonymousreply 4908/24/2013

There won't be a national debate on it, r49, because no one significant is arguing that gang culture is good.

by Anonymousreply 5008/24/2013

I think he should at least make a statement to the prime minister of Australia since he has told his citizens not to travel here. All Obama needs to do is offer condolences and make some gun control statement or something.

by Anonymousreply 5108/24/2013

Considering Australia is an example of a country that has successfully implemented gun control and reduced gun violence - I can understand why Australians would be warned about traveling to the US.

However it was not the Australian PM who told his citizens not to travel to the US.

It was a former Deputy Prime Minister being interviewed on CNN. He said everyone should think carefully about traveling to the US.

Hardly something which demands a response from President Obama.

by Anonymousreply 5308/24/2013

Obama has lost my support, yet again.

by Anonymousreply 5408/24/2013

Kumbaya, My Lord, Kumbaya

by Anonymousreply 5608/24/2013

[quote]I'm sick of this whole hate crime bullshit. As if beating or raping or killing someone is any better or worse, or more evil or less evil, if the victim is the same race as you or a different race as you

Yes, let's get rid of 1st degree and 2nd degree murder while we're at it! Moron.

by Anonymousreply 5808/24/2013

And then the smoke got me!

by Anonymousreply 5908/24/2013

[quote]It was a former Deputy Prime Minister being interviewed on CNN. He said everyone should think carefully about traveling to the US.

The scary thing is that Tim Fischer (who is the form Deputy PM) is a member of the National party, which is the party most associated with Australia's version of gun nuts. If Australian gun nuts think American gun laws are insane, then there's a real problem.

by Anonymousreply 6108/24/2013

Alright bitches... It's Saturday night, let's turn it up!

I throw out there an oldy but a goody, absolutely guaranteed to send a thread count through the roof!

"Is it racist if someone posts on their dating profile that they aren't attracted to certain races? Like, if their profile says something like 'No Blacks!' ?"

by Anonymousreply 6208/24/2013

Obama has also been silent about rising suicide rates in this country. Murder is a sensational diversion for the social media addicted American mass but isn't suicide the more present danger?

[quote]NBCNEWS: Gun suicides up, murders down in US cities, CDC finds

[quote]NBCNEWS: Suicide rates go up for middle-aged, CDC finds

[quote]USATODAY: Newest veterans say suicide is their biggest challenge

[quote]NYTIMES: Rise in Military Suicides

[quote]VA STUDY: The daily average of 22 suicides by veterans

[quote]Is Suicide a More Present Danger Than Murder?

by Anonymousreply 6308/24/2013

R60 blame it on Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson, if not for those two biggest race baiters for jumping out whenever they grab a chance, people may just treat the stories like this for what it is, a crime against another human being and nothing else.

by Anonymousreply 6408/24/2013
Need more help? Click Here.