Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Anyone going to the March on Washington tomorrow?

I wish I could be there. I hope at least half a million show up, like the first one.

by Anonymousreply 3008/27/2013

I guess no one....sad

by Anonymousreply 108/23/2013

I hope there's a big turnout as well.

by Anonymousreply 208/23/2013

Who will speak?

by Anonymousreply 308/23/2013

MLK Jr., Rev. Al, I think Bernie Sanders will be there and I think Obama is going to make a speech also performers will be there I think.

If I'm not mistaken about half a million showed up 50 yrs. ago. I hope this ones breaks that record. It's not just for civil and voting rights It's for the rights of everyone...women, gay people, workers. All the rights the GOP/TP are trying to take away. It's for the fight for jobs and against poverty and to save the middle class

by Anonymousreply 408/24/2013

Who would you like to see Forgotten Angel? And last I checked civil rights and voting rights are for everyone. The fact that you've always had those rights doesn't mean that fighting for them for those who didn't is somehow a "niche" issue. I'm sure you don't consider your right to marry a niche issue.n

by Anonymousreply 608/24/2013

R6, that sounds so lovely and vapid.

I want REAL civil rights. That means I don't want the President giving himself the power to spy on innocent people, or send a person to jail for 35 years for embarrassing him. The 'right to marry' is lovely, but hardly makes up for the fact that so many of our constitutional rights are being destroyed.

by Anonymousreply 708/24/2013

Sad but true R5. Obama, Pelosi, Reid, most Dems, total hypocrites. It is Senate Democrats who are cutting Food Stamps, taking food away from the already hungry.

Notice how today's Democrats will not even say the words poor or poverty. They just say "Those trying to get into the middle class." SUCH BULLSHIT!

What about those poor to sick and disabled and elderly to ever work or work again??? They know they will never be able to get into the middle class but are now living on less than $7,000 a year. Today's Democrats don't GAS, except for Bernie Sanders.

by Anonymousreply 808/24/2013

I think Obama is going to speak on Wednesday, the actual 50th. But R5 is still right.

by Anonymousreply 908/24/2013

Tens of thousands is what's being reported on MSN, very respectable numbers given it's a fifty year old brand.

by Anonymousreply 1008/24/2013

I wanted to go, but I was going to carpool with Paula Deen and she never showed up.

by Anonymousreply 1108/24/2013

Questionable if more than one in fifty people there has any clue about Rev. King, and Sharpton having such a prominent role is simply disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 1208/24/2013

Wouldn't by within 500 miles of that place. The dream of Dr. King has been co-opted by the exploiters who use the civil rights movement to line their pockets. And things are no better for the poor. We're all looking at you, Jesse.

by Anonymousreply 1408/24/2013

FF R13

I live in DC, but ever since I went to the Presidential Inauguration in Jan '09, I'm not into the huge crowds and nightmarish travel. Besides, the commutation pales significantly to the '63 event.

by Anonymousreply 1508/24/2013

I thought the actual March on Washington with Obama speaking was on August 28th.

by Anonymousreply 1608/24/2013

[quote]I guess no one....sad

You're right R1. The mall was totally empty today. No one went there. I'm crying as I type.

by Anonymousreply 1708/24/2013

I'm sure all the white people have left town for the weekend, just like they do here in NY when it's time for the Puerto Rican parade.

by Anonymousreply 1808/24/2013

Wait, it's 1993 again?

by Anonymousreply 1908/24/2013

Yeah and Sharpton was race baiting today as well!

by Anonymousreply 2008/24/2013

Sharpton race bating???? Did you completely miss every speech given by a Republican/Tea Party asshole in the past 5 years? Does Food Stamp President ring a bell? Does takers ring a bell. Does there is no one in public housing who has a job and can set a good example for black kids ring a bell? Does "Blahh people" ring a bell?

by Anonymousreply 2108/24/2013

He race baited. Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 2208/24/2013

He'd have to say every white person on earth should be killed to make anything he said a fraction as bad as what Rethugs have said and are saying. They don't open their mouths without throwing red meat to their base.

by Anonymousreply 2308/24/2013

R23 Students, this is what we call hyperbole.

by Anonymousreply 2408/26/2013

I don't know, there are still hotel rooms available for Tuesday. I am seriously considering going.

by Anonymousreply 2508/26/2013

Rachel Jeantel (aka Diamond) was going to speak, but she couldn't read the teleprompter.

by Anonymousreply 2608/27/2013

My guess is that you'll find something. Good luck R25. If you go please post about what it was like.

by Anonymousreply 2708/27/2013

Maybe Obama will expand more on Bayard Rustin's role in the civil rights movement after giving him the posthumous honor recently. An out gay man, the heart and soul of the movement.

by Anonymousreply 2808/27/2013

I would like to see Obama speak on the fight for economic justice as well, a (conveniently) forgotten component of King's legacy. But it won't happen. He's no MLK in the moral courage department, that's for damn sure.

by Anonymousreply 2908/27/2013

MSE R29. While Obama was clearly the lesser of two evils and the best we could get, it's not saying much. He has no compassion for the poor. He won't even say the words "The poor" or "Poverty." I think he'd sooner stand naked before the American people than say outright he wants to help the poor.

In this country, the poorest of the poor are the most vulnerable people, those who can't work no matter how much they might want to because they are too disabled or old. No one, not one politician represents them. Democrats used to, not since LBJ. The poor disabled live on less than $7,000.00 a year out of which most have to pay rent and utilities. If they are on SSI they do not qualify for rent assistance or help paying for electricity. If they are very lucky they have Section 8 vouchers but in most cities Section 8 has been closed for about 2 decade.

These are not people who as Obama and most Democrats put it are hoping to make it into the middle class. There is no way as they cannot work no matter how many jobs are out there. They know they will never make it out of poverty but for this country to keep them in such extreme poverty is a country without a conscience. Now Democrats in the Senate have voted to cut Food Stamps. The Senate Democrats feel that $3.50 a day to eat is way too much for the poor. This is the kind of "Democrat" Obama is.

MLK he ain't, not by the longest shot you can imagine.

by Anonymousreply 3008/27/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!