Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Veterans protest "The Butler" due to Jane Fonda; theatre refuses to show film

[italic]O'Reilly gives a history lesson, other veterans around the country are boycotting the film, including these protesters in New Orleans... at the link.[/italic]

Jane Fonda was famous for her anti-Vietnam War activism in the early 1970s -- one particular visit to Vietnam earned her the nickname "Hanoi Jane" -- a past that doesn't sit well with Ike Boutwell, the owner of the Movie Palace in Elizabethtown, Ky.

Boutwell, a Korean War veteran who trained Vietnam War pilots, refuses to show "Lee Daniels' The Butler" at his theater because it stars the 75-year-old actress.

“I trained hundreds of pilots to fly, many of whom Ms. Fonda clapped and cheered as they were shot down,” Boutwell told the News-Enterprise. “Our Constitution only mentions three crimes. Treason is one. That’s aid and comfort to the enemy.”

Boutwell also has a problem with Fonda's portrayal of former first lady Nancy Reagan.

“To add to this, I just really think it’s a slap in the face to have a person of treason portray a patriotic lady, Mrs. Reagan,” he said. “I just think that is throwing gas on the fire.”

Though some local residents are disappointed that their local theater isn't showing the star-studded film, others praised his stance on the cinema's Facebook page.

"Respect for the decision not to display or support any movie in which Jane Fonda has a role. We will never forget," one supporter wrote.

by Anonymousreply 6908/26/2013

Bitter much?

Soon, these PTSD reichwing turds will die off.

by Anonymousreply 108/23/2013

It's spelled 'theater,' OP. T-H-E-A-T-E-R.

by Anonymousreply 208/23/2013

They keep clinging to that shitty little war they LOST.

by Anonymousreply 308/23/2013

[quote]It's spelled 'theater,' OP. T-H-E-A-T-E-R.

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 408/23/2013

Just the one Jane Fonda picture, Dear? Oh gosh, does she blow a commie in it? Oh, wait, that's Michele's job...

by Anonymousreply 508/23/2013

These protesters have GOT to let this go. How many more years do they want this to eat them up? Are they waiting for her to die so they can piss on her grave? Get a life, fellas. Vietnam was a dirty little war, and we were sold a bill of goods about it, just like Iraq and Afghanistan. MOVE ON!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 608/23/2013

[quote]“I trained hundreds of pilots to fly, many of whom Ms. Fonda clapped and cheered as they were shot down,” Boutwell told the News-Enterprise.

So, through his actions, how many needless murders of innocent Vietnamese woman and children is he responsible for?

by Anonymousreply 708/23/2013

They do know that Reagan was a Treasonist, right?

by Anonymousreply 808/23/2013

She didn't cheer as planes were being shot down. She was photographed sitting on a gun. You want to be pissed at her, fine. But why keep inflating the truth?

And Reagan helped put Sadaam in power and funded him. Why aren't we holding thirty year grudges against THAT?

by Anonymousreply 908/23/2013

[r10] she has apologized countless of times and said she was wrong.

by Anonymousreply 1108/23/2013

My father actually walked out of the segment in California Suit that involved Jane Fonda. He had bumper stickers that read, "I'm not Fonda Jane" and "Nuke Jane Fonda".

by Anonymousreply 1208/23/2013

Wow, R12. He sounds like a real class act. Was his witty sense of humor surpassed only by his supreme intellect?

by Anonymousreply 1308/23/2013

Reagan even lied about serving.

They never hit Nixon, Kissinger, or even the Kennedys for Vietnam. Why? Because they actually still believe that it was a winnable war, that it was lost because morale was killed back at home by the commie libs.

How many of these assholes actually enlisted anyway? I mean, I respect anyone who served for actually doing it, but tons of them were drafted and had no choice, yet they still try to present themselves as he-men who took up arms to save the country. Did they all actually believe in that war??!

The majority of conservatives who hate liberalism, hate it because they see it including minorities, who whites deem lazy, and steeling their money. Meanwhile, they take public assistance. They're just angry people and need to scapegoat someone or something. With the way they carry on, you'd think Fonda was behind the entire war. They actually went to her book signing and spat at her.

I actually had someone (a Republican who never served) say to one of my family members (a Republican who did serve) the whole "we could have won that war if not for moral at home" thing. My family member just looked off into the distance, biting his tongue. A lot of these idiots who didn't serve act as though they did.

How could you be pro-military and back Republicans? I mean, really.

by Anonymousreply 1408/23/2013

Remember the whole myth about Jane take the letters and giving them to the enemy?

by Anonymousreply 1508/23/2013

Quite a few people are re-writing history here.

The animosity felt by many veterans towards Fonda is not based upon her opposition to the Vietnam war. It is based upon statement she made about American soldiers. Specifically POWs.

She is on the record calling POWs who claimed they had been tortured during their incarceration professional killers and liars. She admitted there might have be some isolated incidents of torture (I guess that is OK?) but it was not a systemic practice. How she wold know this no one actually knows.

I can't find any record where she has apologized for what she said about American servicemen.

It seems perfectly reasonable to me for a Vietnam veteran to both hate the war and Jane Fonda.

I hardly think she can be called a trust fund baby who could afford to protest the war. When she went to Vietnam he had on Oscar nomination and one Oscar win under her belt.

by Anonymousreply 1608/23/2013

WTF? She apologized for her dumb Vietnam stance AGES AGO, asshole!

Get over it! That was like near 50 years ago!

Damn sociopaths are always trying to get media attention and wind up looking like the ASSHOLES they truly are anyway.

by Anonymousreply 1708/23/2013

r13, while my father had several good qualities, neither humor nor intellect were one of them.

by Anonymousreply 1808/23/2013

So I'm young and uninformed. What did Jane Fonda do and what did she apologize for?

by Anonymousreply 1908/23/2013

Like these people would go see a film about black history anyway.

by Anonymousreply 2008/23/2013

Theatre is acceptable

by Anonymousreply 2208/23/2013

"I can't find any record where she has apologized for what she said about American servicemen."

What a coincidence. I can't find anyplace where "She is on the record calling POWs who claimed they had been tortured during their incarceration professional killers and liars."

by Anonymousreply 2308/23/2013

LOL, R22, for linking a UK site.

by Anonymousreply 2408/23/2013

Jane Fonda has apologized many times for what she did during Vietnam. She has said it was the dumbest thing she ever did, and she wishes she could go back and change it. She is very sorry. What more do people want? It's not like she killed anyone.

It was AGES ago and people need to get the fuck over it. And the Vietnam war was nothing more than a crass exercise in corporate greed, no matter how many people don't want to hear it.

by Anonymousreply 2508/23/2013

it is in English dopey r24

ok how about

by Anonymousreply 2608/23/2013

If she committed Hari-Kar( i know, different country), then all may be well .

by Anonymousreply 2708/23/2013

I feel sad for these angry, bitter men. They're broken, toxic people.

by Anonymousreply 2808/23/2013

With so many old men still not over her actions and so many others telling lies, claiming she didn't apologize, I was surprised that they would cast her as Nancy Reagan. It was sure to attract bad publicity for the film.

by Anonymousreply 2908/23/2013

by Anonymousreply 3008/23/2013

and here

poor r4/r22 etc. how humiliating for you.

by Anonymousreply 3108/23/2013

Holy shit, it was a picture. She apologized a million times already. She was young, and she is an old woman now.

by Anonymousreply 3208/23/2013

Wars are not won on morale, anyway. I can't imagine having to fight next to someone that had to be forced to join the military.

by Anonymousreply 3408/23/2013

Why should she be sorry...she was right.

by Anonymousreply 3508/24/2013

The bad press that Jane Fonda received for her anti war activities was largely responsible for changing the way America thought about the war in Vietnam. Same goes for Muhammad Ali.

by Anonymousreply 3608/24/2013

[R16][quote]I can't find any record where she has apologized for what she said about American servicemen. [/quote]

[quote]In a 1988 interview with Barbara Walters, Fonda expressed regret for some of her comments and actions, stating:

I would like to say something, not just to Vietnam veterans in New England, but to men who were in Vietnam, who I hurt, or whose pain I caused to deepen because of things that I said or did. I was trying to help end the killing and the war, but there were times when I was thoughtless and careless about it and I'm very sorry that I hurt them. And I want to apologize to them and their families. [...] I will go to my grave regretting the photograph of me in an anti-aircraft gun, which looks like I was trying to shoot at American planes. It hurt so many soldiers. It galvanized such hostility. It was the most horrible thing I could possibly have done. It was just thoughtless.[/quote]

by Anonymousreply 3708/24/2013

Didn't stop the movie from being #1 at the box office two weeks running. So F U, haters!

by Anonymousreply 3808/24/2013

Where were you fuckers for Monster-in-law?

by Anonymousreply 3908/24/2013

Dear Queen who Can't Give It Up:

Theater is the accepted US spelling and theatre is the accepted UK spelling.

Do you spell those round things your car sits on "tyres"?

Now sit down and take your medicine.

by Anonymousreply 4008/24/2013

R40 is an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 4108/24/2013

The word theatre/theater comes from the Greek theatron, so, etymologically, theatre is a more correct spelling.

by Anonymousreply 4308/24/2013

Jane was very highly sexed back then and she probably had a very big O sitting on the gun.

She used to get gang-banged at Yale and Princeton when she was at Vassar. An old boyfriend ate her pussy in a very assembly-line sort of way. Pass MIss Fonda's pussy, please, to the next Yalie.

by Anonymousreply 4408/24/2013

admit defeat r40, I've listed companies in NY and movie chains all around the south that use "theatre"

Clearly you hate yourself since you had to resort to using the word "queen" when in an argument.

Thems the rules, only self-hating old people still use the term "queen"

by Anonymousreply 4508/24/2013

These veterans are projecting their own failures and guilt on Fonda, to a degree that is way out of proportion to what she did. I guess when you have to live with the guilt from napalming children, attacking a Hollywood star must seem like the right thing to do.

by Anonymousreply 4608/24/2013

People dredged up by a Faux News show aren't representative of anything. This just seems like troll thread. We may as well be talking about Lucille Ball (who has a troll thread right now) or the late Bonnie Franklin ("Hold me, David").

by Anonymousreply 4708/24/2013

[quote]I can't imagine having to fight next to someone that had to be forced to join the military.

R34, most wars have been fought, won and lost by people who were forced to join the military. What do think a draft is, anyway?

As for the endlessly idiotic Fonda bashers - die in a grease fire. Nobody wants your wrinkled old asses anymore and you're too ignorant to make any useful contribution to society.t

by Anonymousreply 4808/24/2013

R16, I have heard her apologize myself in interviews at least half a dozen times. She was spit on in Kansas City at a book signing and police wanted to arrest the man who did it. She told them to let it go. Similar things have happened in other places with the same result. When I think of all the warmongering officials who lied about the Vietnam war who have gotten passes from the same assholes while they want to string Jane Fonda up, it does not surprise me that this country is going down the tubes.

by Anonymousreply 4908/24/2013

Jane Fonda is always more interesting in roles where she smokes. In the right hands with the right support, she's a good actress.

As a person and a political activist, she always took on the ideas of the man she was with - Vadim, Hayden, Turner. Then she hooked up with the ultimate Man - Baby Jesus. I don't know if they're still together.

I like her but let's not kid ourselves that she's a deep thinker.

by Anonymousreply 5008/25/2013

Don't be such a fucking trollish retard, R51.

I'm much older than you are, for sure. I remember Ms. Fonda's behavior and her public stance during Vietnam with absolute clarity. I knew good people who fought and died in that war. It was a goddamned tragedy so spare me your sanctimonious bullshit.

I'm over what Fonda did. It didn't actually bother me much at the time anyway. Compared with what President Nixon and Henry Kissinger were doing to our boys, she was the fucking Sugar Plum Fairy of Southeast Asia.

by Anonymousreply 5208/25/2013

I saw the movie tonight. Fonda does a brilliant job as Nancy Reagan, doing what many thought impossible: humanizing the woman.

But still it is one scene, a cameo. Take a piss, and you miss the performance.

The people protesting Fonda in this movie wouldn't see it anyway.

by Anonymousreply 5308/25/2013

Fonda's made several movies in recent years. Has this theater passed on them all? And, I also sort of wonder if this is a reason for him to avoid booking a movie that has African-American actors front & center and covers the sweep of the Civil Rights movement.

by Anonymousreply 5408/25/2013

These people carry on as though if it wasn't for Jane Fonda they would have won the war. I never hear them protesting Donald Sutherland btw.

by Anonymousreply 5608/25/2013

r10 writes

"The boys who were sent over there may have been mislead and/ or brainwashed, but you don't need to rub it in."

Try drafted. Try they were poor white Appalachians, Indian Reservation kids, or inner city blacks who, unlike, middle and upper class protesters, didn't have a choice.

Please stop the condescension that they were brainwashed or mislead.

Yes, there were exceptions like the wealthy John Kerry who volunteered, however, his type were the minority.

I know you meant no harm, r10.

Still, I wish to hell the draft would come back; a draft where, as in ancient Greece, the sons and daughters of nobility and wealth were the first to be sent to the front lines, no exceptions.

As for Fonda, I've read that plenty of Vietnam Vets have expressed forgiveness for her and why not? Of all the sickening, monumental, tragic, criminal actions taken by tptb of that era, her actions were de minimus.

by Anonymousreply 5708/25/2013

r57 The American public would never sit still for a draft. Period. They like it just fine that there are enough volunteers to go off and fight phony wars. They and their families will not be inconvenienced, except in the pocketbook.

by Anonymousreply 5808/25/2013

It was probably not because it had Jane Fonda in it but because there were black people in it.

by Anonymousreply 5908/25/2013

Theater vs. theatre

In most contexts, there is no difference in meaning between theater and theatre. Neither has any special definitions in general usage. The main thing that most English speakers and learners need to know is that theater is the preferred spelling in American English, and theatre is preferred virtually everywhere else.

by Anonymousreply 6008/25/2013

I'm all for bringing back the draft. Not necessarily for military service, but for national service (which can include the military). Everyone between 18 and 26 should be required to give 18 months to the nation - working in national parks, schools, libraries, medical facilities, retirement homes, museums, etc. It works well and without any problems in other nations. It's time for the U.S. to require national service of all citizens.

by Anonymousreply 6108/25/2013

r61 With a more enlightened citizenry, it would work. We can just about get people to vote though, let alone give up 8 years of their lives. It would devolve as it did before, with so many getting deferments, that it would fall apart. With the "have-nots" getting the fuzzy end of the lollipop. Americans are now far too cynical to see the beauty and efficacy of a program like this. Who do you think might be the ones to push this, Dems or Repubs?

by Anonymousreply 6208/25/2013

She's a dumb trust fund bitch, the Gwyneth Paltrow of her day. She changes her views depending on who she's fucking because she has no core. I don't understand why anyone on either side of the Vietnam issue gives a shit what this vacant bag of bones thinks.

She was great in Klute, though.

by Anonymousreply 6408/25/2013

Even when there was a draft, Americans then as now tended to use the military as a combination employment agency, job training program and reform school. The mother in "Fahrenheit 911" who was up in arms over her son dying in Iraq is pretty typical of the mentality that glosses over the fact that people in military service are primarily there to kill and be killed at the whim of whoever happens to be dicking around in the Pentagon at the time.

by Anonymousreply 6508/25/2013

[quote] And the blacks would find a way to get out of it by trying to find some racism in it.

Because it's not like YOU'RE racist or anything.

If anything, rich white people would find a way to get out of it, or use their connections so their kids get the cushy office job side of things away from the common folk.

That and the Christians would make some stink over fuck knows what. "It says in the bible that if a man picks garbage alongside a transsexual he'll be put to death - religious freedom!"

by Anonymousreply 6608/25/2013

"I was opposed to the Vietnam war and like many young men my age had a plan B if I ended up being drafted."

What was your Plan B, r42?

by Anonymousreply 6708/25/2013

Is there any indication these old white racist protesters were actually planning to see The Butler? Oh Lordy, that's funny!

by Anonymousreply 6808/26/2013

The Vietnam War, on the American side, was fought by poor whites, blacks and hispanics, none of whom had the influence and connections to avoid the draft.

Anyone who tells you anything different is either lying or ignorant.

by Anonymousreply 6908/26/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!