Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Anyone remember Nelson Sullivan?

I'm not sure what he did but he was a videographer on the downtown scene in NYC in the 1980s. He was a transplant from Georgia or something.

Anyway, I'm watching his videos on Youtube and although crude in quality they're very interesting. They're a street level portrait of all the wonderful freaks and weirdos around at the time.

Did he ever smile? He had a humorless manner about him.

by Anonymousreply 1008/26/2013

No one? Oh.

by Anonymousreply 108/23/2013

don't remember him OP but enjoying this view of 80s nyc

by Anonymousreply 208/23/2013

What a wonderful time capsule - thanks for sharing!

by Anonymousreply 308/23/2013

He was from a small town in South Carolina, OP. An under-appreciated artist imho. His work was decades before YouTube and reality Tv, but it was all very prescient in a way, and I think people will start looking back more and more and seeing the value of it.

I didn't know him, but his style of narration was simply very deadpan, (perhaps taking a cue from Andy Warhol's 80s persona?) Anyway, there are clips of him here and there in his work in normal situations, like at dinner or at a club or visiting friends and he is certainly not humorless, straight-laced, or dull.

At some recent panel discussion--I believe the tapes were being donated to some archive, MOMA or something?--Michael Musto repeated the oft-told rumor that Sullivan died from a heart-attack snorting cocaine off a hustler's cock. It seemed the wrong occasion to repeat the story, but whatever, it is part of the legend.

by Anonymousreply 408/23/2013

I knew him. He was an arrogant,unattractive drug addict. He worshiped Michael Alig and contributed to the sinister element that prevailed during that era. He was no artist, just a junkie with a camera. Also, he never met a camera he didnt like. The era is nothing to be memoralized or worshiped. The real fun was 10 years prior to his work. He and his group of drag queens were nothing more than imposters looking to self promote.

by Anonymousreply 508/23/2013

There's a video of him playing his upright Steinway wearing nothing more than a moustache and a pair of bikini briefs. He had a nice body.

by Anonymousreply 608/23/2013

That may be, R5. But it's his pre-Alig stuff that I find the most interesting. His footage of the people who actually did things besides go to parties. Clayton Patterson, Ru Paul, Tish Gervais, Michael Musto, Liz Lizard, etc.

Of course there were "celebutantes" like James St. James, Christina, Lisa E. and so on who didn't do much, but they were at least funny and interesting.

by Anonymousreply 708/23/2013

Musto mincing through Times Square mocking his idea of an impressed tourist makes me want to beat him with a metal pipe and set him on fire.

What a smear of fuck shit.

by Anonymousreply 808/24/2013

In the "Trip to Coney Island" video we get to see Michael Musto twitching, sweating, and completely coked out of his head. In broad daylight.

In another video he and James St. James prance around the street singing to the amusement of their friends and passersby.

I always kind of like Michael Musto (his writing anyway) but I never realized what a druggy mess he was.

And can we talk about his outfits? I get that he was trying to put together a trashy chic thrift store downtown look, but it comes off simply as trashy and bad. There's no style there at all.

by Anonymousreply 908/26/2013

Are you kidding? He still dresses like that.

by Anonymousreply 1008/26/2013
Need more help? Click Here.